1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Torn between doing and being still

Discussion in 'Mind, Body & Spirit' started by Panthau, May 16, 2010.

1. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Feeling torn

I know this can seem a horrible and frustrating place to be. I have been reading this thread with great interest and much compassion - I have hesitated in posting anything here for a couple of reasons - the main one, there are some amazing posts from very knowledgeable people already and the second reason is I don't want to digress away through a lack of understanding clearly enough what is being discussed.

As I read through the thread, certain words come to mind like balance, acceptance, resistance and letting go.

For the last few months I have been spending time with some lovely people who have been faced with giving up their homes in France and feel forced to move back to England because they cannot financially survive here any longer. (I am not suggesting there is anything wrong with England, it is a beautiful country)

Some, though very few, have realised by changing direction with creating income by changing jobs or business enterprises will hopefully be in a position to stay, however, most others have accepted or are in the proccess of accepting they are moving back.

In every single case it is so clear to see it is the indecision or the resistance which causes the anguish and pain for each of these people and I know too well from past experiences how hard this can seem. To hold onto or to let go? Deep inside we often know yet we don't want to admit the truth to ourselves. There's a saying somewhere about when we decide or accept that a door is closing behind us, if we look too long at the closed door we will miss the opportunity of the open window ahead of us - I have found the closed door to end up being a blessing in disguise a number of times in my life ;)

The following saying used to seem like an "intelligent quote" to me a long time ago however through regularly meditating with LifeFlow for the last few years it has become a part of who I am and how I choose to live:-

"GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CANNOT CHANGE, THE COURAGE TO CHANGE WHAT I CAN AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE"

To meditate a little while each day, trusting the accumulative benefits are happening in the background and experiencing these benefits in daily life by witnessing the drama and seeing it for what it is with no need to react to it, is a blessing in itself. Although I enjoy many tremendous benefits from this brief daily practise, I have no need to spend more and more time each day there, it simply helps me to achieve far more easily the things I choose to accomplish and help others do the same.

There is eternity to be :) yet this individual existance has a purpose - however, I must add, it took me many years of searching to find my own purpose.

I would like to end with a little analogy and also add that I deal with challenges on a daily basis like we all do. I think of challenges or problems as fences or great bushes in a steeple chase - I used to fall over them or even back of from them - then I learned to jump a few, then clear more and more until I became a great steeple chaser :)

I hope this can be of some help and hope I have not digressed too much away from the essence of this thread. I wish you all an abundance of peace and joy :) :) :)

2. Edwin

Edwin Member

For what it's worth Pollyanna, it meant a great deal for me to read your post.

Thanks !

3. Bhavya

Bhavya Member

I agree with Edwin. Pollyanna, your words inspire. :)
    Edwin, from what I know of you through your posts, you are a compassionate, hardworking individual with great people skills. You will find your way I am sure
    but I understand how such difficulties can be challenging.

I've always had a hard time making life-changing decisions, even when life is showing it's the end of something.
    I've found myself reluctant to make the leap into the unknown, where there seems to be no clear path.

That's when life forces us to take the leap.
    Edwin, if not this, then something better!
    I have no doubt the Universe has great plans for you and things will unfold for you beautifully.

4. Ta-tsu-wa

Ta-tsu-wa Member

I think you understood the analogy beautifully, Pan. The smaller stream is similar in many respects to the larger one, but because of its erratic path it sometimes interferes with and even detracts from the larger one.

If Pan blends together with the little stream as you suggest, not only does it prevent the little one from stealing away any of Pan's own water but it also adds the water of the little stream to Pan. That's a double win situation.

But it was only an analogy. If we transport the principles contained in the analogy back into the real world, with the Pan Stream being you and your practice and the smaller stream representing all those things that sometimes seem to interfere and detract from your practice, do you see any ways you could "blend" together with these distracting elements so that they not only cease interfering with your practice, but end up enhancing it? Your end goal could be anything, not just enlightenment. Whatever that objective is, can you blend with things that appear to be antagonistic towards it and in the end have them working in your favor?

By the way, my cats also do what Edwin's cats do regarding the litterbox and it's quite effective I must say. I once considered using a similar tactic myself to make a point but I'm fairly certain my wife would simply look at me and say, "Well ya old coot, I see you've wet yourself," then leave me to it.

How come this strategy only works if you're a cat? It just doesn't seem fair.

5. chris063

chris063 Member

ROFL!!!

Someone once told me that it was the great cat mind-meld at work.. these creatures weren't once worshipped as gods for nothing apparently, they have always known how to play with energy better than anyone, subtle telepathy and the like, hence the immediate cleaning of a slightly soiled litter tray, the exact preferred food fed exactly when requested, total ownership of the sunniest spot in the house/garden, not to mention the 'lap' which stays put as long as the cat requires it to regardless of the owners wishes!!!!

6. Edwin

Edwin Member

Holy crap ! I now see what a sucker I am when it comes to my cat ! I never realised this !

7. Panthau

Panthau Member

LOL

So seeing the stream as a part of me, as a part of the big whole one, could be an option. A part of the ying and yang. Then i just need to accept it, stop fighting it and change perspectives.

I wonder if i could consciously choose to change my perspective that way, or if it just happens if i, the mind, realize it.

So you say that the story of the movie is already written, and we┬┤re just watching and identifiying with the content? So enlightement would just mean, to switch perspectives... nothing in fact would change, just the way you look at the movie.

I try to not think about it...

Btw, thanks for your inspiring words, polly!

8. Edwin

Edwin Member

The thing I like most about the analogy by Ta-tsu-wa is this:

What option does water have when it meets water ?

Seeing that other stream of water as a part of the big whole of water ? How can it have an option ? How can it do anything other than blend ?

Even if the stream Pan would be dyed red, if that other stream would cross your path, what option do you have but to blend your colouring with that other stream ? And what option does that other stream have but to accept your dye ?

Why do you think that you have an option ?

A memory of David Godman from Nisargadatta Maharaj :
    'When I started to visit Maharaj some of Bhagavan's devotees criticized me for abandoning Bhagavan and going to another Guru. Many of them seemed to think that going to see Maharaj indicated that I didn't have sufficient faith in Bhagavan and his teachings. I didn't see it that way. I have visited many great saints, and I never felt that I was abandoning Bhagavan or being disrespectful to him by going on these trips. A Frenchwoman, Edith Deri, was one of the women who complained in this way. We were in Bombay together and I somehow convinced her to accompany me on a visit to Maharaj. She came very reluctantly and seemed determined not to enjoy the visit.

'When we arrived Maharaj asked her if she had any questions. She said that she hadn't.

'"So why have you come to see me?" he asked.

'"I have nothing to say," she replied. "I don't want to talk while I am here."

'"But you must say something," said Maharaj. "Talk about anything you want to. Just say something."

'"If I say something, you will then give some reply, and everyone will then applaud because you have given such a wonderful answer. I don't want to give you the opportunity to show off."

'It was a very rude answer, but Maharaj didn't show any sign of annoyance.

'Instead, he replied, "Water doesn't care whether it is quenching thirst or not".

'And then he repeated the sentence, very slowly and with emphasis. He often repeated himself like this when he had something important to say.

'Edith told me later that this one sentence completely destroyed her skepticism and her negativity. The words stopped her mind, blew away her determination to be a spoilsport, and put her into a state of peace and silence that lasted for long after her visit.'

Source:
    Remembering Nisargadatta Maharaj

9. chris063

chris063 Member

Don't worry Edwin!! You were lost the moment your cat decided it was going to allow you to share your Life with it :):):)

I love the Stream analogy too, I was thinking the other night, the posts in this thread could be seen as a part of Pan's Thread Stream. We can decide whether we agree with them and wish to accept and absorb the views, or simply acknowledge them and continue on, or decide that we disagree and simply ignore them.
    Whichever way, we flow onwards, onto something else, another Stream of something or other. Nice to just relax with it all and enjoy it, enjoy being swept along to where our own particular current is taking us next :):):)

10. Panthau

Panthau Member

What can i say... my mind has some smart answers, but they are just words. All i can do is just thank you guys, from the bottom of my heart for your support - not only for me, but for all who come here, seeking for their inner truth.

11. Edwin

Edwin Member

Krishna Menon once said: We behave like prisoners, standing outside the cell holding onto the bars of the prison shouting "Let me out"

When this quote was passed on to me by my guru, I said:

The real problem is that we don't realise that we are both inside as well as outside the prison at the same time... and the bars don't exist...:confused: