1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

TM vs. Insight

Discussion in 'START HERE: Registration & Introductions' started by ambler, Jul 22, 2009.

1. ambler

ambler Member

Hi,

I'm wondering if the Lifeflow technology would be just as effective with a non-mantra-based form of meditation. I used to practice TM, and when I did I seemed to suffer from a number of different unpleasant side effects (headaches, stiff neck, etc). Did anyone else feel this way?

As an alternative, for example, does anyone here use the Vipassana technique? If so, does it work well with Lifeflow, or does the noise of the ambient music disrupt concentration too much.
    Or, on the contrary, does the Lifeflow aid mantra-based meditation to the point where side effects are irrelevant.

I hope people will jump in on this question, because I really want to find a form of meditation that works for me so I can reap the manifold benefits. Thanks,

A.

2. Ras

Ras Member

hi

I am not sure the side effects you had from TM meditation is because of the fact that it uses a mantra - that wouldnt make much sense :)

As for the Vipassana technique - I dont know much about it myself, but as far as I know any form of meditation should work with lifeflow. Remember "all" lifeflow does is to entrain your brain, making it easier for your meditation to reach a deeper level.

If you have headhechs or a stiff neck when meditating try sitting differently. Remember to relax. You might even try to lie down on your bed (unless you fall asleep easily :D)

3. Ta-tsu-wa

Ta-tsu-wa Member

Lifeflow compatibility

Yes, entrainment is compatible with most any method of meditation. Michael just happens to teach a mantra based system but many on this forum practice different techniques.

4. ambler

ambler Member

Thanks for the thoughtful responses.

I guess the next logical follow up question would be, is one "better" or "stronger" than the other? That is, do people recommend a mantra over vipassana?

I know Michael's program (Discover Meditation) is similar to TM.

5. GilesC

GilesC Member

I don't think you can judge one meditation against another as being better or stronger.

I mentioned the different sorts of meditation on this other thread:

http://www.project-meditation.org/c...-box/1591-hello-feedback-please.html#post8004

To my mind ('scuse the pun ;) ), focused objective meditation (i.e. focusing on the breath) will have different benefits and purpose than focused contemplative meditation (i.e. guided meditation) and both will have different benefits and purpose than unfocused mediation (i.e. mantra based).

I would say, if you are simply looking for a level of relaxation then focused objective meditation is perfectly suitable, and I'm sure the entrainment tracks will be just as effective. I'm not sure focused contemplative meditation is perhaps so suited to entrainment as the purpose of such meditations often tends to be the likes of seeking an answer to a question, keeping the thoughts in the mind active and possibly will be distracted by the sounds on the entrainment tracks (although I'm still sure the entrainment itself will have some effect). With unfocused meditation, we allow ourselves to go to a "deeper" state (I actually see this as a more "open" state), stilling the activity of the mind more and I personally believe that the entrainment will have greater effect when the mind is less discursive in this state.

I think the best thing to do is give it a go and see what happens for you. ;)

Hugs

Giles

6. ambler

ambler Member

Hi,

Thanks Giles -- that's a very helpful answer.
    My impression, having read more than a few of your responses to other threads, is that you use a mantra, correct?
    With that in mind, did you ever suffer from any of the side effects I felt when practicing TM? For example, I would get headaches, pressure in my forehead, a sore neck, etc. Also, I felt a general sense of spacey-ness, and I became worried that I would become one of "those people" who are something less than sharp ;)
    Any thoughts? Am I just being paranoid? Should I try mantra again, but this time with Lifeflow?
    It's funny -- I know that meditation is good for me, but for some reason it's always been something of a physiological struggle for me (not the sitting itself; but the after-effects).

Thanks so much for listening, as it were.

A.

7. GilesC

GilesC Member

Correct. I also do other meditations, especially when in group meetings with others with similar interests, but mantra based meditation is what I do as my daily practice.

When I first started meditating with a mantra, yes, there were occasions of uncomfortableness, headaches (usually from trying rather than just letting go) etc. but with practice these are less and I know not to let them be a worry. You certainly won't lose your marbles ;)
    Certainly, if you feel happy to, try again with your mantra. Perhaps just start with 10 or 15 minutes of meditation and then after a couple of weeks increase it to 20 minutes, then later 30 and so on as you find it works best for you. If you find it's problematic again, try reducing the time back down. TM, from my knowledge, tends to teach it in quite a rigid manner, but really there is no need for such things. Ensure you're sitting comfortably upright and if, during the meditation, you become uncomfortable, simply move and make youself comfortable again; it's not wrong to do so.

Meditation (certianly the mantra based type) is not so much about what happens during the meditation, rather than what happens in your daily life as a result of it. It if is bringing up uncomfortable things (emotions, memories etc.) then it is your opportunity to deal with those things and finally be rid of the negative effects they are having on you. Often, physical discomfort as an after effect is linked to some sort of emotional issue, so if that is what you are experiencing, it will be necessary to try and identify what emotional issue it relates to. Louise L Hay's book "You can heal your life" gives a good background on these sorts of things i.e.if your legs are hurting, perhaps there is some step forward you are struggling to take, mentally or in your life, so what is that and what options are open to you to deal with it. That sort of thing. :)

Hugs

Giles