1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

This moment

Discussion in 'Mind, Body & Spirit' started by Karmoh, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Karmoh

Karmoh Member

This moment, the experience you are having right now. This is it, this is life. It’s real. You can fill this moment with thoughts, actions, and emotions, in fact you can fill it with whatever you want, but it still is only this moment. If you have money or you are broke, if you are talented or down right untalented, regardless it still only this moment. You can dress it up, or strip it naked but you still only have this moment.

Can you experience being in the moment?
    Can you notice this moment?

Your butt against the seat, eyes following these words, all sensations of being alive through the mind and body, at just this moment!

This is it. Experience it, pure and simple.

We all and I mean all have the same access to experience this moment. What we do as work, play or think makes not one iota of difference, we all experience this moment, we’re born with it and we die with it. As you read, everybody is experiencing the same moment, it’s an equal opening, we all get the same.

If you are alive, experience this moment, for its all you have.

Just having some fun with words ;)

Peace :)

2. olmate

olmate Member

Hi Karmoh,

Do you think that there are "depths" to the moment? Some teachings implore intensity of focus and at the same time complete release of intention.

So do you experience depth to NOW?

Olmate

3. Karmoh

Karmoh Member

Hi Olmate,

The mind is always trying to put things in order. But once the mind thinks it’s got it done, you are so far past the moment. This moment can only be experienced with pure honesty without grasping on to any notions of what that might be. Because what is here is only here now and then it is gone. If we try a give it depth, then that’s thought.

Surrender to what is here completely. Give up being Olmate or Don and simply fall apart in this moment and experience what is left.

4. Michael David

Michael David Member

Hi Karmoh and Olmate,

Again, this is another very intriguing question to gnaw at and difficult to put into descriptive words. An image came to me this morning that gives me a sense of a feeling in addition to the words.

Imagine watching from a helicopter a moving train with twelve cars going over a stream. The entire train is moving but only one part or car of the train is passing over the stream at any moment. Allow the point where the train passes over the stream to represent the moment of “now”. As each car of the train passes over the stream it passes through now.

If the train had stopped directly over the stream the cars that had already passed over would be in the past and the ones that had not yet passed over the stream or the point of now would be in the future.

As if you were outside looking in, not part of the time space continuum move your attention and view of the twelve cars sitting over the stream up and back from past to future and then back from future to past. Relate this during the day to what you just did and what you are about to do. Each car of the train represents one thought or image of the immediate past and future.

Although the moment or instant of now is infinitely small our sense of it in physical reality seems to be a little longer. For a second or two or a breath in or out we can “hold” attention and call that amount of time now. Once we have thought about it, it is too late; the now has already come and gone and we are remembering the past (although we do that in the now) (it is tricky). So it may help to think about the train cars.

Once you have a sense or feeling of the past-future and time flow of the train with the twelve cars (or twelve thought/images) shorten the train to eight cars (and flow up and back between the images/train cars of past and future). This allows your sense of now as a moment of past-future to become smaller. Shorten the train to four cars and the feeling of a moment of now becomes even smaller. Then to two cars and then to the center of the stream, to this moment right now as it flows along with the movement of the entire train.

Like catching a wave and flowing along with it at the beach you can match a wave of now.

Michael:)

5. olmate

olmate Member

Karmoh and Michael,

@ Karmoh
    Hmmm words... anyways... I get the release and experience moments in each day. There are moments where quiet decends, time evaporates and Love envelops.

I guess this post bought front of mind something that has been banging around like a bowling ball in the back seat of the car on a rally track. The chosen path is a christian contemplatitive path. This path implores "straight and narrow" and "waste no time" and "be fully occupied". All totally inadequate in converying the depth of meaning but i am sure you get a sense.

So... the release in the moment... do you see that as an absolute? That, you are in the moment or not - no shades of presence?

@ Michael
    What a wonderful description. I live by the sea so resonate with the wave, the energy of the now on that wave. But to further explore the wave example, the wave is not there in isolation. It exists in the ocean. So to use that example, is there depth to that moment? Be it riding the wave of now or swimming in the depths of now? Clumsy description, but I hope you see what I am pointing to.

Olmate

6. Karmoh

Karmoh Member

Hi Olmate,

I see what you mean by hmmm words...anyways... :D I not sure if this helps or answers your query.
    Being in the moment is not a state to strive for, the release is in the realisation that this is all there is. We embrace what turns up for what it is, life happening now.

The paradox!
    Although words, or our chosen path can be helpful in pointing, as can be resting in non-conceptual moments can be helpful in seeing through the belief in separation, but no one really remains there. Sooner or later, thought begins to subtly interpret this moment. We want to acknowledge our experiences. We need to see once thought arises to understand experiences, it can take an extreme view such as “There is only the Absolute.” These are still conceptual views, often arising so subtly that we forget that they are conceptual. We may believe that these views somehow come from beyond the thought process. But regardless, all thoughts are thoughts, no matter how spiritual or insightful they sound.

While typing, something came up.
    As Humans we have this capacity to fully conceptualise experiences.
    Is this progression?
    or regression?
    I find this impossible to answer :)

7. olmate

olmate Member

Hi Karmoh,

I think I see to what you are pointing. Does this little poem capture the truth to which you point?

Our life in this world -
    to what shall I compare it?
    Its like an echo
    resounding through the mountains
    and off into the empty sky.

Monk Ryokan

Olmate

PS: The conceptualisation of experiences... perhaps more relating? Perhaps as we evolve our vocabulary, our ability to relate individual experiences evolves. Begs the question whether evolution is progression? My sense is a resounding YES.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  8. Michael David

Michael David Member

Hi Olmate

Yes I do sense that there are different shades of presence which would be depth to the moment. A few images come to mind.

Walking through water up to your ankles up to your knees or up to your neck.

Different depths of sleep.

Touching the wave of now and staying in that wave so that more sheaths (levels) of awareness become integrated with the now. Like being on vacation for one day as compared to the joining of the flow of a vacation that lasts a week or a month. Letting go of more and more of the "attachments" to everyday activity.

On some retreats I have have attended the depth of presence during meditation would vary. Sometimes after the bell signaling the end of the meditation session the sense of presence , just being, would remain for an extended time until the habitual pulls and pushes of my mind brought me back to "myself."

Yes certainly different depths. With the ocean waves and swimming in the depths of now the image of the wave expanded to the full ocean and the pull of the moon's gravity. I found my self deeper in the ocean of the Universe.
    A great question. Thanks for the ride.

9. sagehoney3

sagehoney3 Member

Great read, Karmoh! I thank you for the experience of reading your words as they really grounded me in recognizing being in the moment.......

Blessings to you,
    Sherri (sagehoney3)

10. sagehoney3

sagehoney3 Member

For me, Olmate, I can feel the depth of the NOW.......to me, it's in the listening to the moment - to the NOW......good question you have!!

Blessings to you,
    Sherri (sagehoney3)

11. Karmoh

Karmoh Member

Hi Olmate,

I'm not sure, I see the poem more as a lament of man’s suffering.
    --
    In this moment, you realize what does not need to be practiced to exist. This is the easiest, simplest, and most obvious truth. What has kept it a secret throughout the ages is its absolute simplicity and its immediate availability
    – Gangaji

Or as your fellow Aussie, eloquently puts it.

What’s wrong with right now—unless you think about it?
    – ‘Sailor’ Bob Adamson

12. olmate

olmate Member

Hi Karmoh,

Words and perspectives... we all see and interpret them differently. :) Thank goodness for experience separate from mind ...

Olmate

13. olmate

olmate Member

Karmoh and Michael and anyone else...

I am curious. Do you see your practice as a "journey"?

Perhaps if I describe this Soul's practice, to try to put he question into context...

The meditative journey is one. Therefore that has to involve the total being. Every part on the personaility, every aspect of life are bought into the exercise and then every part of the personality and life has to be transcended as I journey from the periphery to the centre. The family life, relationships, work, recreation - everything in life - is bought into harmony, because in the process of meditation everything in life is aligned on the centre.

The way to the centre is the way of the daily meditation, the time I set aside every morning and night of my life. On this path, there is a belief that the source of all energy, all of harmony is to be found in our hearts. The practice of meditation is simply the way to be open to this presence, to this energy, to this harmony, and to be open to it as ever more profoundly.

The word "journey" tries to capture the essence of this unfolding in my life, the journey to now.

Sorry to be long winded, but words.... hmmm

Nothing but the best...

Olmate

14. Michael David

Michael David Member

Hi Olmate

Yes a journey is an apt description. And your journey to the center and carrying what you can back into life is a beautiful word/picture.

One of the aspects of this journey of meditation for me is to become more mindful which allows for a deper meditation. In addition this same concentration on mindfulness also allows me to be more settled down for longer periods of time in all sorts of situations. And this allows for more and more of an ability to notice all experience from a place of stillness.

15. Karmoh

Karmoh Member

Hi Olmate (nice to meet you)

This simple question has opened up something deep, what started as simple reply set off an inquiry, so please forgive if it seems disjointed.

I do think “journey” is an apt description, although I do see a fork in the path or maybe a fence to jump over. I have yet to fully understand it. You see when it began, I just meditated, similarly, I just went for a run or picked up a piece of pie, there wasn’t an agenda, but somewhere along the path, my ego jumped in and created a spiritual ego, which is strong and vibrant, the "I" that is writing this...

...But one day in a shopping mall car park, something else popped up a realisation that the watcher hadn’t aged, body and mind had but the watcher hadn’t

I then began to jump off the path. In moments of clarity I realised that I was fixated on finding, or maintaining an experience or understanding a set of thoughts about my life, I was stuck. I was fighting the law of impermanence. Life is changing and moving constantly. I realised that I was trying to stop or capture some aspect of this moving and changing life, rather than simply being open to it.

Like an alcoholic, I jump back on the path, but every now and again a force pushes the “I” off the path suddenly and completely into the truth of who “I” really am, and then as if by magic I’m back on the path again. Although now I realise that I’m not at the center of life. And yet, paradoxically, the truth of life cannot be realized without me realising it. Alas my spiritual ego is strong; it does diminish, but re-emerges just as strong with another plan.

Maybe this truth will only be fully seen when my preoccupation with myself are out of the way.

While this journey continues and I kept the focus on me, including where I came from and where I’m going, how much knowledge I have or how close to the truth I am. Is my search better today than yesterday, and whether it will be better tomorrow than it is today? As long as I’m thinking these thoughts, I’m keeping “I” at the center of life, the path, or the journey.

I need to step off but I don’t know how to finally jump the fence... Is it fear or does “nothing” really scare me.

16. olmate

olmate Member

Hi Karmoh,

You describe familiar territory.

This is hard to describe because I am not sure I completely understand it myself but I will try to point to some contexts which are helping me walk through this terrain.

Context 1 - the "I" (or old man as I like to call him) is always there. I decided to allow the old man to hang around even when I visit the sanctuary. As resistence dropped "he" seemed to lose interest. I found Ken Wilbur's integral model helped me have a level of understanding to let go of individual positions and allow these different states of awareness to co-exist simultaneously.

Context 2 - allow the inside out and the outside in. By this I mean, the inside work is largely led by meditative practice of centering, stripping away the wall paper, etc, etc. The outside in context though includes not resisting life. The pressures of work, relationships, health, politics, and stuff is still there. I am allowing it more and resisting it less. But also and very importantly I am also noticing and (I think the best word is) engaging with my natural environment. I watch the sun rise each morning down by the water and feel the energy of the earth and water and air and sun course through me. I bow to the universe and express deep gratitude. I like to bring to front of mind the phase uttered by the Buddha as he reached and touched the ground on which he sat - "the earth as my witness"...

I don't know if any of this makes sense.

Maybe Jimmy Hendrix was right... the stars up above are just playing with laughing Sam's dice...

Don

17. Karmoh

Karmoh Member

Hi Olmate,

Yes, different book, page and words, but the core is the same. Which in itself is getting close, strip away all the bumf and we are left with a simple to follow footprint.

You are completely right if the “old man” is not allowed in to the party, he will bang on the door until you open it, when he sees that the party wasn't anything special (ego wise), he may cause trouble, but if ignored will skulk off to a corner and be quiet.

I see this too. The noticing is particularly important.