1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

The Table

Discussion in 'Mind, Body & Spirit' started by Karmoh, May 3, 2011.

1. Karmoh

Karmoh Member

Hot on the heels of Michael David’s captivating experiments. :)

As a 10yr old child, I discovered that if I placed my hands flat on a table top, closed my eyes, and relaxed. Soon my fingers and palms would begin to flow along with my breathing, but interestingly the table would undulate (not physically) in tune with my body. On telling my siblings and peers, I was scorned and called weird :D. But fast-forwarding 40+ yrs the realisation dawned that it was my first go at meditating and understanding being at one, but for some unknown reason it took over 40 yrs to recognise.

It is important to actually investigate this yourself, rather than merely reading the words.

Place your hands palms down on a table, but without the thought “table” appearing. Don’t rely on any other senses, only touch.
    Close your eyes and breathe gently. Allow you thoughts to gently come to rest, what does touch, by itself, reveal? Is there only hard, smooth, or pressure, could you be touching the table or the table touching you?
    Without using thoughts or mental images, there is no way to even recognize that your hands are touching some other separate thing called a table. Without the thoughts, hard, smooth, or pressure appearing, there is no way to even describe what you are feeling or know what they are. They are just raw senses that carry no conceptual information. The table does not whisper that it is hard or smooth or your hands do not whisper sensations are appearing. All of these are just thoughts. Without these thoughts, there is only seamless experiencing itself, without separation between the hand doing the touching and the table being touched.

In fact, without thoughts or mental images, there is no way to know that hands exist as something separate and apart from the table, or that they exist at all. :eek:

Peace :)

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  2. Edwin

Edwin Member

Very nice Karmoh !

This resembles the guided meditation by Ed Muzika:

Guided Meditation

When letting go of concepts, prefabricated thoughts about what you think the material world is, when you lie down and close your eyes, it is impossible to say if you are really a few feet tall, or a few miles. You don't know what your limbs are doing, or if they even exist, all you have in the darkness is sensations of pressure at those points where your body touches the bed, and where the fabric of your clothes/sheets touch your body. Or so you presume. Letting go of those concepts, it will become increasingly harder to know where your body ends, and the rest of the world starts.

Now if you concentrate on yourself, where in this body that doesn't seem to have real boundaries anymore, does your "I" reside ? Do you still have the sensation that you are inside your head now that your eyes aren't there to trick you into believing that ? And for that matter, what is your head, where has it gone ? Sure, you feel pressure at what you presume to be the back of your head, but really it is just points of pressure showing up in the infinate space that you now see and feel when your eyes are closed.
    Can this "I" sensation travel outside of what you previously presumed to be the skin prison of your body ? Is your body not also just part of infinate space ?

And doesn't your "I" fill that entire space without any boundaries ?

Nice post Karmoh !

3. Hazelkay

Hazelkay Member

here's another

Stand under a tree, place your hands on the trunk, close your eyes and let go.
    The vibration of the tree will flow through you.

In case you think this is just your own flow - try another tree - a small sapling, a large mature tree, a tree that is on its last legs - if the vibrations that flow are different, you will know.

Just for fun, stand under the canopy of new leaves and gaze up, let the leaves talk to you, the light play with you and rejoice in the gifts all around us.
    peace and joy:)

4. Michael David

Michael David Member

Another variation

Thank you all for a beautiful begining to another day:)

What is it that sees when I close my eyes and focus inward? Is it my minds eye my visualization? Imagine being the earthy soil just outside of the tiny root hairs that come together and form the roots of a tree. The ends of the root hairs are so small that they are almost invisible to the naked eye. These root hairs when wet with water and dissolved minerals in the ground absorb the minerals and transport them up and into the system of a tree. At some point these watery minerals become the sap of the tree and at some point the tree becomes alive. The sap aids the tree's growth. When the outside layer of the tree becomes its bark it turns thick, dries out and at some point is devoid of the life of the tree and becomes its shell . Where does the life of the tree start and where does it end? How much of the tree can be cut off or turn to bark without losing the life of the tree? The central part of the tree being its sap carries the life force through the tree in its area of growth.

So I was sitting on a cushion in meditation and my awareness became concentrated like a lens and shifted to flowing outward. I first became aware of the space around my body and the room I was in. I began to see myself sitting in meditation on a cushion on the floor within the four walls and ceiling of the room . This extended outward to imagine the building and then further outward to my minds image of the scene outside. I moved into the space around the building and was attracted by the surrounding forest of trees with branches covered with snow. It was as if I was still inside my body inside my mind but with expanded awareness that now included the room, building and the trees around me. My consciousness became focused on the life force of the tree and its ability to move up and down the tree within its sap. The sap extending outward to the very center of its thinly pointed pine needles. Needles that hang out in the light of the sun. Sunlight, that is the energy that pulls the sap, the life of the tree upward in growth. This pull extending down the tree all the way to the ends of the root hairs and sucking in the watery nutrients that become alive.

The life that I become within the tree now seems to come from the very nutrients within the ground and the sun a force to transport it and activate its life force. Also I felt that the earth itself must have the life force in each of its tiny bits.

Closing my eyes for a moment I can see the green swaying leaves of a forest in the spring with the fresh green colors of the leaves markedly different than those of the deep green of summer and the multi colors of the aged leaves of the fall and their empty space of winter. Like a symphony of growing life over the seasons.

So back to my visualization which was in January and winter and snow and cold. When the life force of the sap reached the tips of the thin branches that would soon become the buds for the new years growth it continued uninterrupted radiating out from the tree as it continued to flow into air and space. Life force more undifferentiated than even the earth below. Life force flowing and like sunlight able to interact at its intersection with my awareness within the building inside a room being held up inside my body which I had completely forgotten was still sitting on a cushion on the floor.

Michael :D

5. Karmoh

Karmoh Member

Edwin that Edji meditation is good! :)
    There is no division between what the body feels and what feels the body. It is only when thought superimposes boundary lines over our experience that the appearance of life seems to be made of separate body parts and separate objects

HazelKay, oh so true! :)
    The space we live in resonates all around us if only we would take the time to stop and feel. This seamless vibration is awareness itself.

Michael your visualisations are a great read. :)
    Our Bodies, rooms, buildings, streets, suburbs, wilderness, country, oceans, worlds and space itself, are a seamless appearance of colours, pressures and shapes, all of which are appearing equally within awareness.

Peace :)

6. Edwin

Edwin Member

@ David:

Just like the minerals in the soil become part of the life of the tree, the same way our body becomes what we eat...

So I guess that the saying "You are what you eat" comes true like this.

In my case especially: You are what you eat, and I just ate a meatball :p

7. Michael David

Michael David Member

Hi Edwin Thanks for the laugh. It is a good way for me to start my day. My next thought was why did I laugh? And then who is laughting? And why do we disparage meatballs?

From a galactic or quantum physics viewpoint the bits of energy or matter that make up our universe are all the same and continually interchanging with each other as particles go in and out of existence. So too with the lowly meatball.

But that meatball when it is digested and its bits of matter spread throughout the body, some of them land in the brain. These form the dendrites and axons that are the brains wiring that transmit the thoughts we think about (again including the meatballs and the humor of its connotations).

So the meatball has now become the actual thoughts we think. And as it is part of our body it has become alive or infused with life. Bits of inanimate matter that grew into grass that a cow ate that was then a meatball that you ate (hopefully with much enjoyment).

So in effect we are bringing the awareness or consciousnes of the Universe that had evolved into matter back into consciousness.

So as I was walking this morning with thoughts of meatballs and consciousness floating through my head I found myself gazing at a tree. I recalled your thread again and thought, what part of of the tree is alive? The bark of the tree which flakes off like our skin had been alive but is not now. How deep into the tree do you have to go to touch its alive part. Is it the sap that carries the "life"? And when did the soil change form inanimate to alive? as it gets incorporated into the root hairs of the tree.

Sensing the bark of the tree as BEING the very same energy bits interchanged with the ones that were alive and now not alive and also the same interchangeable bits as "me" I felt that I was looking at myself. This lasted for a moment and everyrhing that came into my view felt also like I was looking at me. The grass the pavement the sky.

Everything became still no more thought no more breath.

And then it either all returned to "me" or depending or your perspective it all left again.

Michael

8. Edwin

Edwin Member

I was tempted to say "you think too much" when I read this ;)
    It was lovely ;). I think it is fascinating that 2 levels of energy are active in the physical plain.
    First there is the atomatic energy, increadible vast amounts of energy bundled together around a core that has not yet been proven to be solid ( and probably never will in my humble opinion, matter is an illusion ), and those atoms form into molecules, from which plants and animals ( even that weird animal called "humans" ) are made.
    There is where the second level of energy comes into play. Somehow minerals are transformed into plantlife with the help of solar energy, plantlife is eaten by animals, animals transform the plants into energy, and that energy is again turned into food and thus energy in us in the form of meatballs ( yay !!! )
    So, in a way, we are made out of a combination of atomatic and solar energy combined into this body.
    Just understanding this, and when I look into the eyes of my newborn son ( now 6 weeks old ) I still feel that I have no choice but to believe in God, no matter what form or lack of form this creation/creator is. How can one not be humbled by the complexity of it all.
    That's lovely...
    That made me think of how children are still struggling with the "I" concept. They come to the conclusion that they are their body at one point, and then become hugely terrified of the hairdresser because that weirdo is going to cut of something of their body, so obviously that must hurt, same with the finger- and toenails ;)
    So, reading your conclusion, even tho I reacted to a lot you said, I have to say that I have nothing more to add. We are sentient beings.