1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

The Sedona Method

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by Montana Keith, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Montana Keith

Montana Keith Member

The following are some of my latest thoughts on "resistance."

In words attributed to Jesus in his “Sermon on the Mount,” it is written:

“Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.” (Matthew 5:38-39)

Lately, I’ve been pondering what “resist not evil” might mean. According to my good old “Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary,” resist is a verb meaning: “to exert oneself so as to counteract or defeat; to withstand the force or effect of.”

Using this same dictionary, I found one of the meanings of evil is that of a noun meaning: “something that brings sorrow, distress, or calamity.”

So, if I am to follow Jesus’s advice to “resist not evil,” then:

“I am NOT to exert myself so as to counteract or defeat—I am NOT to withstand the force or effect of—something that brings sorrow, distress, or calamity."

How very interesting and how very different from how we are usually taught to act. These last few months I have been reading The Sedona Method by Hale Dwoskin, and I have been listening to recordings of live seminars of Hale teaching the Sedona Method. This morning as I was listening to these recordings the following quote by Hale caught my attention:

“Feelings only lie. They tell you that you are going to get from letting go of them what you already have from holding on to them.” (Hale Dwoskin)

The question that comes to my mind then is:

“If resisting is not the answer, then, how might I ‘be’ with and for my feelings as they show up in my awareness?”

I think a part of the answer to this question is found in “The Sedona Method” process. Briefly, when you become aware of “some thing” you are resisting, you are to ask yourself and simply answer “yes” or “no”--without a lot of internal dialogue--to the following questions:

1. COULD you:
    -allow this “some thing” to simply be? (“yes” or “no”)
    -welcome this “some thing” into your presence? (“yes” or “no”)
    -let this “some thing” go? (“yes” or “no”)

2. WOULD you:
    -allow this “some thing” to simply be? (“yes” or “no”)
    -welcome this “some thing” into your presence? (“yes” or “no”)
    -let this “some thing” go? (“yes” or “no”)

3. WHEN will you:
    -allow this “some thing” to simply be?
    -welcome this “some thing” into your presence?
    -let this “some thing” go?

These questions of “COULD you,” “WOULD you,” and “WHEN will you” work as a process of what I like to call “gently inviting.” You are first “invited” to:

-ALLOW this “some thing” to simply be. It is suggested that you might simply allow your feelings to be rather than ignoring or resisting them. Once you are comfortable with “allowing,” then, you are invited to:

-WELCOME this “some thing” into your presence. This “welcoming” is one step up from “allowing.” Now you are treating this “some thing” as a guest—as someone who you value because of the “gift” they are bringing you. What might this “gift” be you may ask. The “gift” is awareness that you “have a blind spot”—that you’ve bought into some kind of lie because of a false or inappropriate belief. This “welcoming” aspect is expressed eloquently in the following poem by Rumi.

The Guest House

This being human is a guest house.
    Every morning a new arrival.

A joy, a depression, a meanness,
    some momentary awareness comes
    as an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all!
    Even if they are a crowd of sorrows,
    who violently sweep your house
    empty of its furniture,
    still, treat each guest honorably.
    He may be clearing you out
    for some new delight.

The dark thought, the shame, the malice.
    meet them at the door laughing and invite them in.

Be grateful for whatever comes.
    because each has been sent
    as a guide from beyond.

-- Jelaluddin Rumi (1207-1273)
    translation by Coleman Barks

After you have truly “welcomed” this “some thing” that has shown up in your awareness, then you can move to the next aspect of “not resisting” which is:

-LETTING this “some thing” GO. Once you “allow,” then “welcome” this “some thing,” into your presence—into the “guesthouse” of who you truly are--then you are able to recognize the “gift”—this new level of awareness--this “some thing” is guiding you to. Once this “gift” is truly recognized AND allowed to “guide” you to the truth, then, you can simply thank “it” and LET IT GO. You no longer need to hold on to “it” or hoard “it.” For if you do, then this “some thing” will “breed worms, and stink” just like what happened to the manna that the Children of Israel tried to hoard and “hold on to” rather than trusting in the goodness of God and “letting go.” (See Exodus 16:11-30)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  2. Montana Keith

Montana Keith Member

Often when I drive to work in the morning, I listen to recordings of Hale Dwoskin teaching “The Sedona Method” Sedona Method to a group of people in one of his live seminars. Today, I re-heard—this is my third time through the recordings—something that resonated with me deeply. I thought others of you might find it useful too. Here’s to joy on your journey. –Keith :)

The “Six” Steps of The Sedona Method
    By Hale Dwoskin as recorded in a life seminar. Typed and arranged in this form by Keith Jensen

Feelings [as used by the ego] only lie. They tell you that you are going to get from letting go of them what you already have from holding on to them.” (Hale Dwoskin)

Let’s go over the six steps. So, these six steps are a summation of everything that we have been doing so far. And, they’re kind of the nuts and bolts behind the basic process that we call “The Sedona Method.”

Step 1: “DESIRE freedom, or your goal, more than anything else.”
    And, the first step is: Desire freedom, or your goal, more than you want APPROVAL, CONTROL, SECURITY or SEPARATION or ONENESS. If you’re “wanting” any of those wants more, that’s what you’ll get. You’ll get the “wanting” as opposed to the freedom, or the goal. And again, it’s NOT a have to, or must do or should do. It’s just something that if you are aware of you’ll notice that as you let go, your desire for that freedom that you already are, and for your goal, will increase, and your holding on to these wants will decrease.

Step 2: “DECIDE that you can release and be free.”
    The next thing is: Simply decide that you can release and be free. If there’s any doubt, just simply let that go. It’s really just a decision to decide that you can do the method, that you can let go, that you can have your goals and be the freedom that you already are.

Step 3: “ALLOW yourself to perceive that your feelings culminate in these wants of “wanting”: approval, control, security, separation, or oneness.”
    Three is: Allow yourself to perceive that the feelings that you experience from moment to moment culminate in these wants: the wanting approval, control, security and separation [or oneness.] If you start to perceive that, what you’ll notice is that—a lot of you have already noticed that—just in the perceiving of it, you drop it. You let it go. It dissolves all by itself. You don’t actually have to effort at it.

Step 4: “MAKE releasing a constant practive in your life.”
    And then step four is: Make its use constant. As you release—as you get into the habit of releasing in life—you’ll find that you naturally want to do it more. You’ll naturally find that letting go becomes more natural—more part of your every moment experience. And as you do that, you’ll also discover that even without letting go, you feel more whole, complete, and perfect as you are—more at rest. And that too is nurtured and okay. You don’t have to force that. Just allow that to be there.

Step 5: “LET GO of wanting to change or control.”
    And then if you’re stuck, let go of wanting to change or control the stuckness. Now, that stuckness—by the way—if it happens, doesn’t mean that there’s something wrong. It doesn’t mean that you’re doing it wrong. Because you’ll notice that the mind does fight this. It’s not always willing to not suffer. Because suffering is part of the purpose of the mind. Part of what it does is that it creates conflict. Part of what it does is: It creates conflict so it can solve conflict. It makes you suffer. And then, it pretends that “it’s saving the day.” You’ve probably noticed that. It’s the one causing the trouble a lot of the time anyway by its artificial polarities that it generates—This is right; this is wrong. This is good; this is bad. And that’s causing the suffering. And then, it tries to help you get out of it. It’s like the cop trying to arrest himself, or putting the thief in charge of the safe. But, that’s what we do. But as you keep letting go, what you notice is that the mind no longer is your master. It becomes your servant. And if you find yourself getting stuck, simply let go of “wanting” to change or control the stuckness. One of the ways, by the way, you can do that is: If you’re having a hard time letting go in any moment, then, give yourself permission to hold on—just for now. In giving yourself permission to hold on, just for now, then, you can make a new choice. So, if you’re feeling stuck at all—which could feel overwhelmed; I don’t want to do this anymore; get me out of here; or like you feel that you’ve hit a wall with releasing, or in life, simply either let go of “wanting” to change it, or let yourself be with what is for a moment. Let yourself hold on if you are. And then you can always make a new choice.

Step 6: “REALIZE that you already HAVE and ARE all that you desire.”
    And the last step is step six. And that is: Each time you do this process you’ll feel lighter and freer and more effective. And that the more you do that the more you’ll notice that. And it generates a momentum. And it also helps re-enforce the first step. The more you see this works—the more you see that freedom is here and now and really possible to you—the more your desire for it increases until that drops away too, and you realize that you already HAVE it; you already ARE it. And you’ve BEEN that all along.

3. Edwin

Edwin Member

Amazing stuff Keith !

On more than one level, I feel that everybody in this forum is working so hard to help who ever needs it ( and I am definately one of them, so thank you ) with overcoming those very things that bother them the most.

I am slowly becoming silent within... You guys are wonderfull...

4. Bhavya

Bhavya Member

Hi Keith
    Thanks to Eric's post somewhere else on the forum, I came across this which made me immediately think of you since you're using the Sedona Method so diligently. I hope you'll enjoy reading this life story. I found it inspiring and thought provoking: Nirmala
    I also want to say that I totally appreciate the sincerity and openness with which you share your spiritual journey. :):)
    Happy holy -days to you and to all who read this.
    Bhavya :):)

5. chris063

chris063 Member

Hi Bhavya,

I have just read Nirmala's story....it is amazing. So many things he was saying rang true. There is so much food for thought being broadcast on this forum, so many guides on our incredible journeys, I am hopeful that the learning will continue for eternity...it is all so wonderful.

Love and joy to you all for the holidays :):):)

6. Bhavya

Bhavya Member

Shine on!

Hi Chris

Yes, it is wonderful, isn't it! I love hearing that we are already That and just don't know it because we're so identified with our egoic minds.
    Somehow I feel so hopeful for everyone, including myself!

And today we began moving towards more light, longer days (sorry ...only northern hemisphere I think).

Gotta love that light!
    Let it shine :)

Bhavya

7. sarita

sarita Member

Hi Montana Keith,
    I loved your generous sharing of the Sedona Method, which I have played with since recieving the free intro CD from them.

Your outlining of the CD script gave a whole raft of detail within the steps that I was unaware of. Very relevant for me just now - learning to truly accept and welcome in feeling rather than flatlining and just 'feeling shit'! Last night when I did this (welcome it in) I was overwhelmed with agonising waves of sobbing. All I could do was stay as present with it as I could and keep opening to more. it was not fun but I did feel relieved afterwards. Finally i listened to an Orin tape 'Age Regression' and rode the feeling back to it's earliest inception, which seemed to be not wanting to come out of the womb - not wanting to 'go out there'. Which is how i feel in my life right now - overwhelmed and not wanting to leave my bed and go into the world.

Just a thought for you... that you may way to play with combining the Sedona Method with the work of Byron Katie, if you don't already do so. I say that as I was (prob still am) part of a msn group about combining the two. It was started by a Sedona person who'd just got into BK and was full of Sedona people raving about how adding BK transformed things for them - less need to 'release' as they were getting to the root of the beliefs that were generating the stress in the first place, via Katie's method. I respect both methods - they do offer different things.

And thank you Bhavya for posting that link to Nirmala's story. I read it years ago and had forgotten it. I was as humbled and blown away this time as I was the last.

Wow... where to go from that

ha ha- quite a funny question in the light of what he shared...
    (who is the one who thinks she needs to go anywhere.... :) )

with gratitude,
    sarita

8. Bhavya

Bhavya Member

Hi Sarita and welcome

I also find Byron Katie's work amazing. It really helps to get to the bottom of the stinking thinking/action! The interview with Oprah, though, was quite disappointing....Oprah didn't get what Katie was all about. Best to read her books, Loving what Is and I Need Your Love - Is That True. Fabulous!

Bhavya

9. WeeHoo

WeeHoo Member

Byron Katie

I've been fortunate enough to do seminars with Byron Katie, including the 10-day School For The Work. Definitely check out her website...all the basics of how to do The Work are available there for free (you can download worksheets).

The Work is life-changing stuff, liberating and stunningly simple. After you get immersed in it, you will find the four questions running through your mind when you run into a frustrating situation. So now, I can grab the annoying thought ("My 13 year old is being a snotty jerk") and immediately ask myself, Is it true? Is it really true? How do I feel when I think that thought? Who would I be without that thought? and then go on to the realization that hey, I'm being a snotty jerk, too, or I've been a snotty jerk in the past. It gives me a much more compassionate way to be in the world.

One word of caution: it does require putting in some time with pen and paper, especially in the beginning. If you just run through the questions in your mind, you miss a lot of stuff. Something about writing out your answers brings you much more insight and a deeper healing.

10. Montana Keith

Montana Keith Member

Thanks to all of you who are reading and posting on this thread. First off, thanks to Eric for posting about "Nirmala" and to Bhavya for bringing this to my attention. And thanks so much to Sarita for introducing Byron Katie and "The Work" to me. The Work of Byron Katie I went to her website and printed all the forms and directions for this process. I can sense how this can really work well with "The Sedona Method." Sedona Method (official site) The Secret self-help program; self-improvement technique A related process that may be of interest to some of you is "Focusing." The Focusing Institute

I've mentioned in other postings on this forum that I used to be very active in organized religion. The particular brand of organized religion I was active in was a form of Christianity which claimed that it was God's only "true and living religion."

Because of the environment in which I was raised, I developed the belief that ALL things could and should be compared and categorized until you arrived at one ultimate BEST in each category. As examples:

--The Christian religion is better than all others, AND the church I belonged to is the BEST and most correct/true of all religions.

--American families are better than any other families in the world, AND the “Jensen” family to which I belong is the BEST and most correct/true family in the world.

--The northern European countries are better than other countries, AND the United States of America is the BEST and most correct/true country in the world.

--The political process in the United Stated of America is better than any other political process, AND the conservation Republican Party is the BEST and most correct/true political party.

--Self help programs developed by men with Ph.D.s from prestigious colleges are better than all other self help programs, AND the BEST and most correct/true self program out there is Hardiness Training.

(Incidentally, I still think Hardiness Training is an amazing program. It just happened to be the first self help program/process I was introduced to over 11 years ago. And yes, it was developed by a “man” with a Ph.D. from Harvard. At the time I was introduced to it, I was very active in organized religion and steeped in beliefs about “BESTS.” I am the lead teacher for all the stress management: hardiness classes taught at the university where I work. Just in case any of you would like to take a look at Hardiness Training, here is the link: hardiness online : welcome )

During the past several years, I have been working diligently at becoming aware of and letting go of “limiting beliefs” like those I’ve listed above. Meditation has assisted and continues to assist me in observing/noticing my thoughts/beliefs without attachment. When I become agitated by something someone says or does, I have come to realize that this person is a “guest” who has come into my presence to show me the limiting beliefs I’m continuing to hold onto. As is taught in “A Course in Miracles,” A Course In Miracles - Foundation for Inner Peace everyone I meet is my savior because they assist me in becoming more aware by “reflecting” outwardly the beliefs about myself that I am holding inwardly. For this reason , I sense that Byron Katie’s process called “The Work” has arrived at the perfect time for me. As the saying goes: “When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.”

I wish each of you peace and joy AND a good sense of humor as you journey. --Keith

11. Montana Keith

Montana Keith Member

Intuition

Besides my duties as a student services director at the university where I work, I also teach classes in hardiness training. Since the beginning of the semester, I have been suggesting to my students that everyone has their own innate knowingness and that this is who we really are. In class on Monday, one of my students said:

“How can I tell when the answers I’m getting are from my true self and not my egoic self?”

I didn’t have an answer at the time, but something “clicked” with me as I was listening to Hale Dwoskin’s The Sedona Method audio course for the fifth or sixth time this morning. It made such sense that I took a few minutes to type down what I heard. Here it is:

Your Innate Knowingness: “Intuition”

“Intuition is only right 100% of the time.”(Lester Levenson)

Intuition is our own innate knowingness. But, we’re always filtering it through the mind. And, because we’re filtering it through the mind, it arises as sensations, pictures, and sounds that sound and feel and look very similar to just reacting. They look, feel, and sound like some problem we already have.

Its hard to tell when we’re reacting and when we’re actually seeing clearly. And, there’s a simple way to tell the difference. If the picture or sensation or sound that’s arising in consciousness is intuitive, and you let go, then the message just gets clearer and quieter. But, if its just a reaction—if its just a feeling—it disappears. It dissolves.

First off, every thing we do with the [Sedona] Method is clearing the obstructions that continually have you looking for the keys [or whatever you’re struggling to find] where they aren’t. So, everything that we’re doing increases intuition—everything.

[To repeat,] the reason we get confused—the reason we don’t know if its intuitive or not—is it often feels, looks, and sounds the same as the last panic feeling, the last doubt, the last struggling to know what to do, the last time you made a mistake. And, so the way to tell the difference—if something arising in consciousness is intuitive or simply a reaction—is to release—simply let go. If you let go, in my experience, if it is intuitive, it presents itself in a clearer way. Its still there in awareness. [But,] if its just a reaction, its gone. And, you just go about living.

(Hale Dwoskin as heard on The Sedona Method audio course)

Sedona Method (official site) The Secret self-help program; self-improvement technique

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  12. Bhavya

Bhavya Member

That's interesting and helpful, Keith. It's funny, I often struggle making decisions for myself. I can always see both sides to every issue and can vacillate between choices so that sometimes I end up procrastinating. I ask for guidance regularly and when I sit with it, things eventually come clear. Other times, clarity comes in a flash and I just know.

I see the Sedona method has quite a few CDs. How long did it take for you to work through it? It seems like a very big time investment.

Wishing you peace :):)
    Bhavya

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  13. Montana Keith

Montana Keith Member

Hi Bhavya,
    Like some many things that have come into my awareness these last few years, The Sedona Method has blessed my life immensely. The audio program consists of a ten-CD course plus three bonus CDs on relationships; financial freedom; and appearance, health and wellbeing.

As to your question of how long it took me to work through it, I'd have to say that it took me a couple of months to listen to all the CDs the first time. I have it loaded on my iPod touch so I continue to listen to it as I drive to work in the morning. I'm currently going through it for the third or fourth time. Each time through, I find myself noticing and learning additional things. Take care. --Keith :)

14. shesgg

shesgg Member

Hi,

I have been getting interested in the Sedona method. I've listened to a few of Hale's lectures and one series of tapes from a seminar. I like him.

His cd course is quite expensive and I really can't spend that kind of money on it at this point so I wrote Sedona and asked if the book is a good substitute. The gal who wrote me back and said it is except it doesn't contain the additional 3 topics thay you talked about.

So I bought the book and am waiting for it to arrive. :)

In the seminar I listened to, he suggests that you listen to it as many times as you want to becuase you learn something new all the time. It does have that Eckhart Tolle flavor to it. I'm going to make it a point to read both A New Earth again and The Sedona Method.

I so need peace right now.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009