1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

The secret to the Law of Attraction

Discussion in 'The Law Of Attraction' started by pollyanna, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Montana Keith

Montana Keith Member

A Question

Hi Chris & Edwin & Gus,
    Thanks so much for your comments. Sometimes when I'm sitting at my computer and reading your comments, it kind of feels like we ARE together. Perhaps someday, events will transpire that we can all meet and visit with each other in person.

In fact, I think I was really closed to where you live Gus while I was at my conference in Fargo, ND. On Tuesday, October 7th, some friends and I took our rental car and drove south on I29 to Sisseton, SD. While there, we visited the Joseph N. Nicolet Tower and Interpretive Center. There is a stream in a ravine just down from the Tower. While there, I left my friends and walked down to the stream. It was so peaceful and quiet there. I noticed the yellow autumn leaves of the trees as I stood for I few minutes by this stream. For a moment, I felt I was part of the flow of this stream--part of the flow of life. I reached my hand into the stream and picked out four pebbles. I started collecting small stones from "holy places" when my dad was dying of cancer several years ago. Among my stones that I keep in a small fountain on my desk, I have a small flat one that I picked up from our family farm in Sun River Valley, Montana, shortly before my dad died and we sold this family farm of over 40 years. It's kind of strange, but I use these stones as a way of "storing" significant memories and events in my life.

So, Gus, is your place anywhere near Sisseton? It sounds like we may have a common religious background. It is so interesting to me how people are brought together. Anyway, my friends, take care. It is good getting to know you. --Keith :)

2. Edwin

Edwin Member

Keith, what you said about those stones made me think of a poem/song of a Dutch writer.

De steen

Ik heb een steen verlegd in een rivier op aarde.
    Het water gaat er anders dan voorheen.
    De stroom van een rivier hou je niet tegen.
    Het water vindt er altijd een weg omheen.

Misschien eens gevuld van sneeuw en regen,
    neemt de rivier mijn kiezel met zich mee.
    Om hem dan glad en rond gesleten,
    te laten rusten in de luwte van de zee.

Nu weet ik dat ik nooit zal zijn vergeten,
    ik leverde ‘t bewijs van mijn bestaan.
    Omdat, door het verleggen van die ene steen,
    de stroom nooit meer dezelfde weg zal gaan.

Nu weet ik dat ik nooit zal zijn vergeten,
    ik leverde ‘t bewijs van mijn bestaan
    Omdat, door het verleggen van die ene steen,
    het water nooit dezelfde weg zal gaan.

Bram Vermeulen

Translation ( I can't make it rhyme, but the concept I can bring across ) :

The stone

I replaced a stone in a river on earth
    the water flows different from before
    the stream of a river can't be stopped
    The water always finds a way around

Maybe once filled with snow and rain
    will the river take my pebble away
    to make it, corroded smooth and round
    rest in the quiet of the sea

now I know that I will never be forgotten
    I proved my existance
    because, by replacing that one stone
    the stream will never flow the same

now I know that I will never be forgotten
    I proved my existance
    because, by replacing that one stone
    the stream will never flow the same

Bram Vermeulen

:)

3. chris063

chris063 Member

Hi Keith, I agree it is great being able to talk to like-minded people here, and I find the sharing of experiences from people all across the world a wonderful thing to witness. For me the encouragement and genuine wanting to help is something I wouldn't have found near to home. We are on an amazing journey but it is also a very lonely one at times when there is no-one close by who understands. I always feel very positive, happy and uplifted after visiting this site and reading a few posts!

Take care,

Chris :)

4. Montana Keith

Montana Keith Member

Thank you

Hi friends,
    Edwin, thank you so much for taking time to share that song/poem with me. Your thoughtfulness in doing this touches my heart deeply. I think you will enjoy seeing the prairie lands of the West as much as I will enjoy visiting the Netherlands. You are an amazing person! I hope that someday you and your family get a chance to come and visit in America. My wife has been to Europe, but I never have. We are looking forward to the time that we can travel and visit there. In the meantime, I am grateful for how the technology of the internet is allowing me to meet and connect with people like you--and Chris and Mitch and Karen and Gus and Pollyanna and etc.

Anyway, I guess that's it for now. I just wanted to let you know that I look forward to reading your posts. I don't always take time to comment, but reading your insightful and gentle words touches me and benefits me greatly. I wish you and your family well. Take care. --Keith :)

5. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Dear Keith, thankyou from the bottom of this very humble heart for your kind and generous words. I also appreciate the wonderful gifts you share here also. I found an old little story which aptly describes what you and others here are doing to contribute to the welfare of others. You have probably read it but hope you enjoy it anyway:-

A man was walking down a deserted beach at sunset. As he walked along, he saw an older man in the distance. As he grew nearer, he noticed that the local native kept leaning down, picking something up and throwing it out into the water. Time and again he kept hurling things out into the ocean.

Approaching even closer, he noticed that the man was picking up starfish that had been washed up on the beach and, one at a time, he was throwing them back into the water. Puzzled, he approached the man and asked, “What you are doing."

I'm throwing these starfish back into the ocean. You see, it's low tide right now and all of these starfish have been washed up onto the shore. If I don't throw them back into the sea, they'll die up here from lack of oxygen."

"But there must be thousands of starfish on this beach. You can't possibly get to all of them. There are simply too many. And don't you realize this is probably happening on hundreds of beaches all up and down this coast. Can't you see that you can't possibly make a difference?"

The older man smiled, bent down and picked up yet another starfish, and as he threw it back into the sea, he replied, "Made a difference to that one."

I wish you continued joy and happiness on your journey of self discovery :) :) :)

6. athenalaz

athenalaz Member

law of attraction

Hi ,

I just wanted to say that the secret is based on a book by Jerry and Esther Hicks. Esther is a channel and in the book it describes the law of attraction as received from the source called ABRAHAM.

The book is incredible and far more in depth than the secret- the lady who wrote that is a friend of theirs.

Also Jerry and Esther originally read a book called Seth speaks, which is also a channel and after that they came to understand the law of attraction.

7. blackbess1957

blackbess1957 Member

Thank You for your Mamouth Task Pollyanna

You are certainly a Giver Polyanna and I hope and wish for you a hundred times and more joy and happiness into your life as you give.

Thing is: Don't you think The Secret is totally contrary to Echardt Tolle's The Power of Now. What's it to be I find myself asking myself? Now, this minute or tomorrow, next week, next year?

Who's right?

Regards and Thanks
    Blackbess

8. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi there Black Bess, welcome to this amazing community and thankyou for your kind wishes. I am so grateful that I do not have much of an analytical mind or I'm sure I would suffer from "paralasys from analasys" haha. I tend to take from different sources what feels right to me. I have a purpose, goals and dreams for the future which are exciting to visualize in the now, however I don't allow them to take over all the special moments of right now. When I'm working on the plans for my goals I enjoy and focus on that, when I share special times with my family and friends, I enjoy those times. When I meditate I enjoy my own special time. Before doing LifeFlow I used to mix it all up. I'd be thinking of what to prepare for tea or about my children when I was working and when I should have been relaxing and enjoying time with my family I would be thinking about work. Life is so simple and uncomplicated now. I hope that helps and I wish you much happiness and joy on your journey of self discovery :) :) :)

9. zelicious

zelicious Member

"The secret" is one of the inspiring stories ever..

Hi, firstly I would like to say sorry for my weak English as I don’t speak English as a native language. I think the facts that in the article seem right, at least to me.. There were things that I have wanted since a couple of years ago but never happened to buy as I never had enough money .For example, a computer ,I had wanted it since long time ago .There was an IT sale promotion and the stuff there was pretty cheap, so, I happened to have been there for a couple of times during the sale, Although I didn’t buy anything, I still checked the laptops. Since then I wanted a new one on my own so bad but did not have money. After a few days had gone, my friend offered to start a business with him if I am interested. He got me a loan and that was when I could buy a new computer. I think I would probably get it earlier if I had strong wish for it.

The deal is set. He wouldn’t get involved anything in this business. I can manage everything on my own. I couldn’t believe how this opportunity has come to me. So, I am the boss but I am the employee as I don’t want to hire anyone to waste our money. I have always had the strong desire, which I was inherited from my aunt, to work on my own one day . I am tired of working for somebody. This is pain in the ass to me. I personally believe that I will always be the same and never escape from being employee. Life will never be different. I am a person who is really afraid of the poverty. I think everyone is afraid of it but they are more afraid to take a risk and make a change. I was raised hardly by my single mother . I never wanted to go back to that life and that is what made me decide to take make a change. So I grew up sticking together with the desire that is being a wealthy person one day.

I did not know how to make it .I didn’t see anything that will turn out to be a special chance . What can I say ? This is the law of attraction ?So I am guessing what you mentioned in the article is correct – you do NOT need to know HOW . I have always felt that I will be someone one day, yet I do not know how to become. I now have a target of my net worth . I will keep practicing what you taught in the article. Honestly, I have lots of doubts how can I go further since I had no experience . I am too stressed these days ,sometimes I could barely sleep the whole night , getting lost in random thoughts  . Thinking how to make this? I am also having breathing problems because of great stress and big tension. So, I started searching about stress management and the top recommended is “meditation” That is what brought me to this forum. I will try to clear my cloudy mind with regular meditation. I feel uncomfortable or not feeling alright a while after I started. I wonder if this happens to any beginner? They say it needs to be practiced and take some time to get used to it.

All I do now is think positive and focus visualizing on my net worth. Last but not last thanks million for sharing this great article.. I will keep working no matter what . I believe the wishes will come sooner or later, if I am hard working person and have strong focus. I’ll come thank you again here if things are getting better with me.

Love.

10. jave

jave Member

Great work

I think that this is the most simplified way of delievering this message. I must say that I have read a couple on the Law of Attraction but this actually stands out. Well done!

11. Leechanel

Leechanel New Member

A diffirent perspective

Hi there

I absolutely love the Secret too and I watch all sorts of movies like this, I started with 'What the Bleep', have you seen this? My boyfriend and I were watching 'What the Bleep' the other day and half way through he told me that he did not get a good feeling about what he was watching, shut it off and then went to look something up on the internet... I asked him what he a was on about and he showed me that the movie is suspected of being a Scientology recruitment video..

For those that are into Scientology, then this is not a problem, but for those that are not, all I am saying is, don't get too sucked into anything. The Secret, which I know we are discussing, is a great movie, but we are just looking for an answer so much, that we could get brainwashed... I love that movie, but I am offering you a different perspective to what is shoved down your throats- you don't always have to believe it. All that you really need to do is look deeper inside yourself and you will find all the answers. Meditation is therefore a a better way to find what you are after....

12. Match_capo

Match_capo Member

Thx so much Pollyanna! I play the audio book of the secret in my house over n over each day even as I sleep! These quick notes will be a wonderful addition!! Thx again.

13. Bhavya

Bhavya Member

Hi Leechanel
    What I understood about "What the Bleep...." is that the directors aren't scientologists but rather, followers of Ramtha (the one that J Knight is said to be channeling) and Transcendental Meditation. I'm not into either one of those paths, but the Bleep movie does have some interesting ideas....unprovable as of yet ... it's all a theory ... but it does address some interesting questions about the nature of reality and how we create our own experience. :eek:

I agree with you though that it's important to have a healthy perspective! Not skepticism exactly but a questioning mind. ;)

14. D. James Albert

D. James Albert Member

I'm very new here and in fact this is only my second post after my introduction, but this particular thread caught my attention, and as I read it I felt compelled to write some replies.

First, thanks to Pollyana for starting it and the effort to create the Secret document. Second, what a fantastic forum and I found it refreshing to read so many respectful posts here. Third, apologies for my own long post, but I wanted to show respect by responding to as many posts as I found myself compelled to :D

I believe this aspect of the Law of Attraction to be a misrepresentation from those who do not truly understand it. We live in a co-creation universe, one of both mind and body. We are creators, sharing what we create with the creation of other creators. The Law of Attraction operates almost in a push-pull type way (as does everything else operate in duality), and so sometimes people attract terrible things, and sometimes terrible things happen to them as a result of the creation of another. This truth does not fully take away from our ability to apply the Law of Attraction to create in our own life. But, as physical beings sharing a physical world of experience, it is important to understand that whilst we largely drive the unfolding of our life, it is nonetheless a symbiotic aspect of a large picture, one in which the unfolding of other lives also influence our own.

Put simply, if we were able to completely control our own reality through our own application of The Law of Attraction, we would not be here on planet Earth learning how to do it. Until then, we are experiencing a reality where both form and experience emerges from the totality of all the minds playing in it, and where that form and experience can in turn be experienced by other participating minds.

I would :D
    The problem with the idea that you have to attract happiness to you is the notion that happiness is something that exists outside of you. Happiness is not something you have to bring to yourself, it is something you have to express through yourself. True happiness is the result of a harmony with your true nature and that of which you are a part, as opposed to temporary happiness as a result of a material thing or similar. Yes, the Law of Attraction can bring happiness into your life, but only as an external response to the happiness that is already within you.

I would suggest the term 'law' in this context is merely a word to describe how something works. E=MC2 describes the relationship between energy and matter (ie. that one is merely a rearranged version of the other). Attraction describes the relationship between mind and the creative process (ie. that one is a rearrangement as the result of the other). You are absolutely right when you say it is as simple as setting a goal and adjusting your mind/brain to the goal. It is in the adjustment that the process of realizing the goal can be seen to unfold, just the same as with Einsteins equation where it is in the process of matter conversion that energy is realized. Hence, these examples are one and the same, and you may use the term law to describe them, or even simply refer to it as a process.

Understandable, because it isn't always true. Hopefully my explanation that we live in a co-creation universe helps to bridge this gap for you. The only caveat I add to this explanation is for people to not use this as a means to justify why something bad happened to them that had nothing to do with them. Hopefully many people can be introspective enough to examine if they themselves attracted the event. When you do this, often you will find that you did in fact attract what you didn't want. But, this is not a 100% given in a shared reality.

Yes, but willingness is not enough - you must have active intent to receive, and you must pay attention to the signs of receptivity in order to take action upon them.

Can I make a suggestion? As long as your attention is on trying to figure out what you need to do to make it happen, you will be invoking the Law of Reversed Effort - that is, you are working against yourself. Rather, keep your attention on exactly what you want with isolated fixation. If you do this, what you need to do to manifest what you want will present itself to you. If your attention is on your goal, your mind is working on the various elements that bring that goal together. You only need to notice them, and then take action upon them. I admit, some people struggle with this to begin with. For some people it can be helpful to form a basic plan and to place their attention upon the first step. By taking action on the first step it is like a snowflake that rolls into a snowball - all the other steps, ones you couldn't have planned in a million years of detailed analysis, will present themselves. You only need to keep your attention on what you want, and be receptive to the signs of action to take you there.

I thought Edwin answered this really well, but I would like to add something. There is no conflict between applying your mind to creating (attraction) and applying your mind to the now. Both of these aspects of mind necessitate present mindedness. In the example of the Law of Attraction, your attention is on what you want, not when you will get it. You aren't trying to keep your mind on a future attainment, but rather what you want now. The details you formulate in your minds eye are present, and your focus is on the object/experience of your desire in the now.

Consider an example of studying a picture of something you want. YOu study the detail in the picture, the color, the shape, how you feel about it, the size, and so on - but you don't study when you will get it. You can't, because the when is not in the picture, and neither is the how. It is the object in the picture that you are defining in your minds eye, nothing more.

Please continue to think positively, but I would like to point out that although many people think the Law of Attraction works through positivity, thinking positive has absolutely no bearing on the creative process. You can focus on something with anger, hatred, and if you keep as much negativity as you can muster aimed at the object of your attention, you will still attract it. The Law of Attraction works first and foremost as a result of what you place your attention upon. More accurately, it works as a result of placing consistent and regular fixated attention. And, even more so, with isolated fixated attention. The creative process is invoked through this, and it is then through receptivity and any necessary subsequent action that the manifestation process unfolds. This is the beauty of attraction - it doesn't require thinking positive. Thinking positive is obviously is beneficial for an abundance of reasons, but the creative process is not dependent upon it. That said, please, continue to think positively or, even better, constructively.

15. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi there James and a very warm and belated welcome. Just been reading through your posts and wanted to compliment you on how eloquently you write.

I really like the term "Creative Process" instead of "Law of Attraction" and totally agree with the term "There are no masters, only beginners at different levels"

This is the point I was attempting to make in the thread "LifeFlow just keeps on working." When you have been through the complete LifeFlow system, you can go through it again and again because it's you who are continually changing and that's what is so exciting :)

Anyway thanks for your great input and I highly recommend the fast track. I wish you an abundance of joy and happiness on your continuing journey :) :) :)

16. bashmaki

bashmaki Member

Mr. Albert,
    Welcome to the forum.
    gus

17. Edwin

Edwin Member

Every now and then you get a new person in the forum where you think " this one is a keeper ".

I get that feeling with Albert :) Welcome again !

I like your insights on LOA, and will start to work on it :)

18. Edwin

Edwin Member

I agree.

However, most scientists really don't know how to handle quantum mechanics. The biggest problem is that it is impossible to prove, and well.. to scientists it makes absolutely no sense... now that I think of it, it makes no sense to me too :p

However, there is no other hypothisis ( hope I spelled that one right, and if not, I am Dutch :p ) that can so accurately predict the workings of the universe !

Science usually only seeks for proof, but is prepared to accept theory until proof comes along.
    A good example is E=MC2 actually ! It is yet to be proven ( link: E = mc2 ) ! it just works really really well !

Same problem with quantum mechanics ( Introduction to quantum mechanics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) !

And, in fact, it is still to be proven that the greenhouse effect is causing global warming. In Greenhouse effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia you can read the following quote:
    Anthropogenic global warming (AGW), a recent warming of the Earth's lower atmosphere as evidenced by the global mean temperature anomaly trend [11], is believed to be the result of an "enhanced greenhouse effect" mainly due to human-produced increased concentrations of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere.[12] and changes in the use of land[13]

It is plausible as the Mythbusters say, but not proven !

Now I am not saying that any of the above theory's are bogus or wrong !
    Just that they are theory's !

Interesting stuff when you think about it !

It makes you think " what the bleep do we know " ;)

19. D. James Albert

D. James Albert Member

Pollyanna/Bashmaki/Edwin,

Thankyou for your kind comments.

Oh, and the subject of Quantum Mechanics is another favorite of mine. :D

I agree with Edwin that theories of Quantum Mechanics are impossible to prove. But, only in so far as the same applies to all theories of science. It is impossible to prove anything with absolutes - all we can do is amass evidence, observe, repeat, and amass more evidence, and use that evidence to determine probability. In science, much of what we take as 'proven' is in fact just an expression of high probability as a result of a wealth of supporting evidence that we consider 'enough' to class it as proven. Things that are once considered 'proven' are often found not to be so the more advanced we get with our ability to gather broader evidence. Even our existence can't be proven in absolute terms.

So when discussing scientific, philosophical or any other kind of theory, the question is not so much 'is there proof' but 'is there evidence?' and if so, how much evidence is there? Then, it is the volume of evidence that leads us to consider whether or not we have enough to say with a high degree of certainty whether X=Y or not.

When it comes to the theories of Quantum Mechanics, there is a great deal of evidence on the table. When it comes to the Law of Attraction, we also have a great deal of evidence on the table. In fact, there is a great deal of evidence available regarding the existence of and nature of consciousness. An interesting fact is that there is more scientific evidence regarding the influence of consciousness on the physical world than there is that aspirin cures headaches.

The idea that mind influences physical reality underpins much of the work of Quantum Sciences and Spiritual Sciences. One of the best scientific studies of this is the Global Consciousness Project. The Global Consciousness Project, whilst not able to offer categorical proof as an absolute, has amassed a wealth of evidence that is supportive, rather than dismissive. It has collected its evidence according to strict scientific methodologies, has an extensive time period of data collection, and has presented its findings in a very open manner for analysis and discussion for all who wish to participate. If you are interested in looking at evidence, and really that is all we can ever look at when it comes to determining likelihoods of anything, then I urge you to begin with the Global Consciousness Project website by taking time to read through the various papers there.

Global Consciousness Project

Also, there are a couple of videos about the GCP on YouTube, a selection of which I've pasted below (search on YouTube for yourself, there are quite a few good videos there, more than what I've pasted here):

YouTube - Dean Radin: The Global Consciousness Project

YouTube - Global Consciousness Project (GCP)

Here's an interesting thing to consider. All scientific studies hinge upon the act of observation. All scientific studies require a type of first-hand experience through observation in order to test hypothesis, observe the results, and correlate those results into something meaningful. If a certain finding is deduced, and can be repeatedly observed first-hand by different scientists, then credibility begins to mount. The more who can observe it, the more a certain observable thing edges towards being considered good enough to be called 'proven'. And so, even the most rigorous scientific studies require the act of individual observation. Thus, if it can be observed by one individual, it can be said to have already made it to the first step of being considered scientifically proven - which in the end merely means you experience it before believe it.

20. Bhavya

Bhavya Member

Hi James (I think that is your name and not Albert?). Welcome to the forum. :)

I appreciate your well-considered responses along with the Links to the Global Consciousness Project. Fascinating. I think it's interesting that our culture wants scientific proof of laws that the sages have been describing for millenia and wonderful that scientists like Dean Radin are now conducting experiments that point to the truth of those laws. ;)

Let's hope that we too can arrive at Truth through Lifeflow and other practices to help bring Peace On Earth! :)
    May we all achieve Sage-hood! :p

In hope!
    Bhavya