1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

The Science of Getting Rich

Discussion in 'The Law Of Attraction' started by Ramai, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Ramai

Ramai Member

Most of us intuitively know that the world is an abundant and unlimited place. But how do we change our perception to what seems to be?

Wallace Wattles said that “By thought, the thing you want is brought to you. By action,you receive it.”

Wallace Wattles free ebook The Science of Getting Rich Science of Getting Rich claims that all you need to get rich is to use your will power upon yourself and you can become whatever you want to be.:cool:

Love,
    Ramai

2. GilesC

GilesC Member

Practice being in the present moment, using meditation if desired as a tool to achieve this.

This is the law of attraction. By having thoughts about things, we bring them into the "minds eye"; the more we consciously think about it, the more permanent that minds eye focus becomes, and as such anything around us that will assist in achieving that desired goal whether in a small way or large way, will be presented to use (bring our awareness to it), but unless we actually act on those things that are presented to us, the goal will not be achieved. Thoughts will attract things, but only if you act on what is presented in front of you, and to assist with that, being present helps.

Haven't read it, but I've downloaded it and will do when I get a moment. However, from your brief statement, I agree, it's true.

Hugs

Giles

3. Itlandm

Itlandm Member

Getting rich seems like a weird thing to be interested in. What good could possibly come from that? Or am I misunderstanding the way the phrase is used?

4. Ramai

Ramai Member

Rich is a relative term. A millionaire may feel pretty good about his achievements until he takes notice of a billionaire’s yacht. ;)

I escaped from my country and migrated twice in the last 25 years and I am content with what I have achieved from a materialistic point of view. However, there is one area I seem to want more of; I constantly strive to learn and understand more.:D

Love,
    Ramai

5. olmate

olmate Member

When I was young(er) I was very focussed on accessing abundance. I recall thinking at the time that I could not be happy unless I was wealthy in a material sense.

In the last few years I have struggled with the problem of material abundance in my life and wished for a much simpler life.

The Law of Attraction is very real in my experience. The key issue for me is being clear on what to manifest. There is much truth to the warning of being careful for what you pray (ask) for.

The importance of undertaking that deep enquiry within the stillness and silence is so important in my experience. The clarity, sense and focus that this brings is vital. It really does shape ones day-to-day life experiences.

But of course, many of us do not take the advice of others and have to find out the hard way...

Nothing but the best...

Olmate

6. veggietovegan

veggietovegan Member

I don't think getting rich only means getting a fat bank balance; it also means great friends, health, peace of mind, and so on. And yes, the Law of Attraction does help us get all that and more.

7. Ramai

Ramai Member

Many thanks Giles, Itlandm, Olmate, vegietovegan for your contribution.

Love,
    Ramai

8. BobMc

BobMc Member

Wealth and sprituality

I think becoming rich could be a detriment to spiritual progress, but it could also be extremely helpful for someone whose biggest priority in life is ending the ego illusion. If one could retire early and use all that extra time for spiritual practice, I could see that being very helpful.

9. Karmoh

Karmoh Member

Or you could be even richer by being at one with yourself and giving up all your wordly goods and helping others ;)

May I be a guard for those who need protection
    A guide for those on the path
    A boat, a raft, a bridge for those who wish to cross the flood
    May I be a lamp in the darkness
    A resting place for the weary
    A healing medicine for all who are sick
    A vase of plenty, a tree of miracles
    And for the boundless multitudes of living beings
    May I bring sustenance and awakening
    Enduring like the earth and sky
    Until all beings are freed from sorrow
    And all are awakened

Shantideva

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  10. GilesC

GilesC Member

As Karmoh suggests, there is more to being "rich" than material wealth. There is a richness in life, a richness of emotions, a richness of mental attitute etc.

Attracting richness into your life can be a means of becoming more present if one sees it as letting go of the ego and attachment to material things.

Hugs

Giles

11. Ramai

Ramai Member

Why do we even have to ask ourselves if it is right, wrong or more to being rich.

As no two people are the same, there is no one answer fits all.

It’s true that as we progress on our spiritual journey our priorities and values change.

Many on the path may reach enlightenment, but I can promise you that they will still need to eat, pay for gas, hospital bills etc

Love,
    Ramai

12. Ta-tsu-wa

Ta-tsu-wa Member

There is a biblical passage that sums up the question of "to be (rich), or not to be (rich)". It's found in 1 Timothy 6:10, and reads,

"For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows."

This is very different from they way it is commonly phrased, which is, "money is the root of all evil." It isn't that wealth is evil. It's inappropriately loving it that causes so many sorrows. This is excruciatingly close to the Buddhist view of becoming "attached" to things as the root of suffering.

You could probably replace the word "money" in the Timothy passage with just about anything else and it would be equally true. If I am obsessed with any particular thing, my life will fall out of balance. I may be in "love" with the idea of spiritual awakening, and focus so much time and effort in that direction that I neglect other areas of my life and other people in my life. That doesn't make spiritual awakening evil. My obsession with it is what threw the monkey wrench in the works.

There was a program I watched 20+ years ago in which the life of a small tribe of natives somewhere in the Amazon Basin was explored. Watching the film of these people had a profound impact on me that has remained clear all through the years. Their food consisted mainly of fish from the river and fruits and whatever else they could forage from the surrounding forest. Their clothes were extremely simple (and rather minimal). Most of their days were spent securing food, producing or cleaning clothing, making or repairing the simple tools they used to obtain food and clothing, etc. When they weren't engaged in those activities they spent time together as groups and families just sort of "hanging out" and enjoying each other.

From my western perspective, these people were more destitute than the poorest inner city slum imaginable. Materially speaking, they had next to nothing. What was so profound, however, was the expressions on the faces of these natives as the camera crew went about filming them. It mattered not one bit what the people were engaged in at the time, they were smiling, laughing, happy, at ease. In short, these were people who were fully and happily engaged in the pursuit of life, and their lack of material goods didn't even enter into the picture for them. I strongly suspect if they had been approached and asked about how they felt about their lack of material comforts they would not even have understood what the question meant. These people, who had "nothing", seemed to have "everything".

By the same token, I have known people who had more material wealth than they could use in a hundred lifetimes, and they were totally miserable. One need only consider the lives of the popular Hollywood icons, riddled as they are by drugs, alcohol, disposable relationships, legal entanglements, diseases of excess, and problems of every description to see evidence that wealth is not synonymous with happiness. This is a collective group of people I would not wish to join under any circumstances. But I would jump in a heartbeat to join those Amazon natives.

Someone once asked me, if I could have just one wish for myself, and it could be anything at all, what would I wish for. There wasn't even a need to think it over, as I've long known what it would be. I would wish for absolute peace of heart and mind. With such peace at all times, I could live or die, and it would not disturb me. I could be wealthy or destitute, and remain untouched by it. I could be healthy or riddled with disease, and neither would disturb me.

Having absolute, abiding peace is, in my view, the acme of abundance. With it comes the power to accept everything else with equanimity; to work towards the betterment of myself and everything around me, and yet to be fully at one with whatever the outcome of my efforts might be.

I believe at that point if I was to decide I wanted material wealth, I could have it or work for it, and not be affected one way or the other if I attained it, or if I didn't attain it. The wealth would be neither good nor evil, any more than the color green is neither good nor bad; it's just green.

13. BobMc

BobMc Member

Freedom from 9 to 5

I don't associate money with material things at all. I live a relatively humble lifestyle now, and I have no desire to live any better or acquire more things. I need shelter, money for food, money for utilities, money to keep 2 cars on the road, and money for my children's activities. That really is all I need. Yet money could be freedom for me. Freedom from wasting too many hours making a corporation profitable so I can pay for those necessities, and instead using those hours for something more productive and more in line with my spiritual goals. Oh yeah, all that I listed above, plus $300,000 for 3 upcoming college educations, as well as $50 a month for amazon purchases :D

Money can be detriment to spiritual progress if it is used to solidify the concept of an individual self. Or it can provide the freedom to pursue a path to end that concept. There are a lot of things like that. There are times where generosity is paradoxically a stumbling block for me. I realized that one day while I was in a lot of traffic, and I stopped to let someone get in front of me so they could exit easily. When the person in that car didn't give the obligatory thank you wave, I felt a little annoyed. And I really thought about why I felt like that. Was letting that person in my lane driven solely by wanting to let that person get home faster, or did I also do it because it made me feel good? That takes some real honesty, especially if one projects that idea out to their other activities and motivations. Sure, I did want to help a person, but perhaps it also reinforced this concept I have of this person called "Bob", and this idea that "I am a good person". Maybe that's why the lack of a thank you wave was a little annoying, because my ego didn't get the reinforcement it was looking for. As I thought about it, I realized that I like doing a lot of things that reinforce this idea that I am a good person, because that is how I identify myself. Yet that runs completely counter to my real goal which is that I want to stop identifying with this I. And were my donations solely motivated by compassion, or did I also kind of like how that made this "Bob" person feel? Perhaps the way I was giving was counterproductive. Maybe that isn't that much different than someone buying a status symbol because it makes that Joe or Susan feel like a "successful person". It is something to reinforce a unique identity. For me, and I am only talking about myself here, even talking about spirituality has the potential to become counter productive, because if I was really honest with myself, was my spiritual talk truly because I wanted to kill my ego and this concept of myself, or was it sometimes because it feels good to not just be "a good person", but also “a spiritual person"? All I am saying is you can use all your money to buy status symbols or give it all to charity, and still end up almost in the same place spirituality. Or one can learn to give to charity while making spiritual progress, as one can learn to use spirituality to make spiritual progress.

Thanks for letting me jot down some of my recent thoughts, and please don't interpret my comments and thoughts as pertaining to anyone but myself. I'm just stumbling through this and trying to figure things out and analyze my motives, and wanted to write down what was on my mind.

Or maybe I wanted to write it down because it made this Bob guy feel like even “more of a spiritual guy then before” :D

14. olmate

olmate Member

Hi Bobmc,

I am very familiar with that conversation - the one you describe in your head. I too have struggled with it but in a slightly different context.

A couple of conclusions I came to...

Money can give amazing freedom but at the very same time can make you a slave. There is a critical point here in which one has to decide to either choose freedom or continue down a path of acquisition of material wealth and possessions. The choice of freedom results in simplicity and clarity while the alternative results in complexity and fear.

However, just giving it all away does not solve anything and in most cases probably does not benefit those who need it anyway. There are particular skills and knowledge needed to amass material wealth as there is to amass spiritual wealth. I am convinced that making an impact in the physical world to alleviate suffering means actively working to help - enabling through resources, talent, knowledge and prayer. Ironically, the wealth and "spiritual" capital that this approach generates is amazing. But the trick here though is as you rightly point out, is to not make it about (in this case) Olmate. Within this context, Olmate is pretty much invisible and anonamous.

The age in which we live is very sophisticated in delivering spin and messages to the masses - such as the critical importance of owning the latest and newest, using emotions to spur those buying decisions, even it it means unservicable debt, and creating addictions.

A further personal insight which resulted from my meditation practice is "what is money anyway". It is not real. It is just words printed or stamped on paper and metal, or numbers on a bank statement. It is not real.

Sorry to ramble... but this territory has been a struggle for me.

Nothing but the best...

Olmate

15. Karmoh

Karmoh Member

That reminds me of a passage in Jack Kornfields book The Wise Heart. I don't have the book with me at the moment, so cannot quote directly.

He talked about a very remote Indian Village, close to the border with Nepal. This village had been cut off from western society and was only re-discovered in the early 70’s. These villagers were in perfect harmony with nature and had no material goods or nor need of any; they went about their daily chores with smiles and synchronicity.

Western culture deemed them the poorest people in the world and promptly went about bringing them up to “our” western standards, within a short time these extremely happy social people, were in torment, their young went off to find wealth, they became dirty and hungry. They now believe they are the poorest people on earth and act like it.

“Missionaries & Conquerors Dream the Same Dream”

16. Itlandm

Itlandm Member

A common mistake is the belief that one will definitely do good with one's large amounts of money, although one has not done any remarkable good with one's little amount of money, or with one's words, or with one's time, or with one's smiles. And so, while one waits for the opportunity to come, all the other opportunities pass unnoticed. But money does not have the power to improve your character. If you give readily what you have now, you will also give in the future. If you try to take from others now, you will also try to take from others in the future.

Rich are they who have something to give, whether they have much or little. Poor are they who covet what they don't have, whether they have little or much.

17. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

This thread has been really interesting for me to read. I haven't yet read "The science of getting rich" although it is on my list - thankyou Ramai :"Think and grow rich" however was one of the first books of this type that I read many years ago and I understood "Rich" to cover all aspects of life.

Around this time I also did a little exercise from another book which was drawing a circle to represent the circle of life. I created 8 equal segments within this circle and gave each segment one of the following titles:-

Health and fitness
    Family and relationships
    Spiritual
    Business /work
    Finances
    Recreation
    Contribution
    Personal Growth

It was then suggested that I give a score from 1 to 10 (1 being very poor in this particular area and 10 meaning doing very well) in each of the segments.

The purpose of the wheel (circle of life) was to become balanced so that it would roll smoothly. At that time, my personal wheel looked caved in around 3segments and one of these was finances - no wonder life felt like a rocky road :rolleyes:

This exercise taught me how to create balance in my life. Of course, some of my belief systems took a bit of a bashing at that time and I clearly remember this being quite overwhelming - and I wasn't even meditating in those days :eek:

Since then I have met many people who seem to be almost repulsed by the idea of becoming rich with money and treat it like a crime comparable to grand larceny or even homicide. In my humble opinion, it's really about how you obtain money and what you do with it.

Being financially rich is also very individual - for some, earning 10% more than they need is rich because earning 1% less than you need can lead to financial disaster. For others £300,000 a year would not be enough.

Everyday I walk through the woods and give thanks for no aching bones, good health and fitness, the loving relationships I share with family, a deep spiritual awareness, the work I do, the simple funtimes we share, the contributions made and the fact that I no longer have to count up the cost of the items in my shopping trolley before I get to the checkout. Yes, I'm richer than my wildest dreams :)

One thing I do know is, something could happen that could change all this tomorrow so I am never complacent about it and constantly work on keeping a balanced circle.

As for smiles and gestures of kindness, we are all billionaires with these and the more we give away the richer we become. If some don't smile back or say thankyou it may be that they have a lot on their mind, have troubles at home or are dealing with some tragedy.

I wish you all a great abundance in all areas of your lives :) :) :)

18. Ramai

Ramai Member

Thank you all very much for sharing your wisdom on this seemingly touchy topic:). Very much appreciated. Personally I can honestly say that I’ve learned a lot from this thread.

When I manage to stop myself from reacting, (meditation helps a great deal:)) I seem to learn the most from people who have different views than me. It makes me question what I thought I knew and realise how much more I have to learn. :eek:

During the course of my life I have experienced poverty, hunger, refugee camp, life in a country where I couldn’t speak the language. I know what is like to be poor and I know what is like to be rich.

Take my word for it - rich is better.:D

This thread made me question what I will do when I will become rich, will I be able to keep all that matters in balance? Will I lose my peace of mind? Will one area of my life have to suffer in the detriment of another? Will I forget to be grateful for what the creator is giving me to experience?

It was an interesting exercise to consider these questions from both sides, financial as well as spiritual and wonder if or how would influence my character. However, it’s one thing to ponder and another to experience it.

Love,
    Ramai

19. medbenefits

medbenefits Member

Yes all materialistic human progress has made us slaves,we belive success means Money,money and money.

I am distressed so much about this feeling of materialistic needs:eek:

Anyhow your post sooths me enough.

20. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Here's a great story of what I believe success is all about. This man has become extremely wealthy from all his hard work. He is passionate and loves what he does and has contributed greatly to mankind with his efforts. He has worked with schools and the government and was awarded an MBE before he reached his 30s. I have enjoyed watching his genuine enthusiasm when he lived in an apartment and just recently my husband and I have spent a few evenings watching some of his videos in his new home.

The enthusiasm of Jamie Oliver is infectious - his excitement about the fruit and vegetables he grows, the respect he shares with his full-time gardener and the fun he has while demonstrating recipes that anyone can follow (in his really down-to-earth manner) is wonderful to witness.

With all his success, MBE and idyllic home and grounds he shares with his wife and two children, he seems to have his feet firmly on the ground and openly displays his excitement for the good and simple things in life.

I wish you an abundance of peace, joy and happiness :) :) :)