1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

"the Practice Of Presence"

Discussion in 'Mind, Body & Spirit' started by Montana Keith, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Montana Keith

Montana Keith Member

These last few days "some thing" new has been sitting with me. I was noticing thoughts and feelings flowing through me in new and different ways. It "kind of" had something to do with the concept of "the Christ within" everyone. AND, it had "some thing" to do with the idea of how we each are "some thing" within, or of, "some thing" bigger, grander, deeper, more beautiful, more inclusive, more loving, etc., etc., etc., than we can even begin to imagine.

I "felt" there was something out there--a step forward in awareness???--that was just waiting for me. I started searching on Google. I typed in terms like: "the body of Christ" and "the Christ within."

Initially, I was directed to sites which discussed these terms in really dogmatic ways that just don't resonate with where I am now. And then . . . I came across a website that resonated with me powerfully. Besides many wonderful articles, this site had a free online course called "The Practice of Presence." Here is the link to it: The Practice of Presence

Reading through this course, I ran across this excerpt:

There is an old saying: "When the student is ready, the teacher appears." And there is a new saying: "When the teaching appears you are ready for it." If you can't see it or understand it, it doesn't appear to you.

Anyway, I thought that in concert with LifeFlow this course may resonate with some of you out there.

Here is the first part of the Introduction to "The Practice of Presence":

Introduction

When by infinite grace, it finally dawns on one that Consciousness is all there is, and that That is what we are, and further, what constitutes everything else, this awareness or understanding is soon found to be wonderfully and completely liberating.

But wonderful and as freeing as this great insight is, it's only the beginning, the overture, so to speak, of a rapturous symphony that is meant to follow.

Moving on from the initial awakening to enjoy the entire symphony is what we call the practice of Presence, or more simply, practicing Presence.

It is, without a doubt, the height, the apex, the zenith of spiritual practice and in ages past, only known by a handful of spiritual masters.

In these times, however, this once secret practice has now become accessible to all who have a yearning to live, moment by moment, the sublime truth they have seen.

This practice is for beginners and advanced students of spirituality alike, because it's about realizing (or in-seeing) what you really are and bringing this realization into every moment of your life.

2. WeeHoo

WeeHoo Member

Yowza

Just got off that website. Thanks so much for this post!

3. Edwin

Edwin Member

Agreed, that site is amazing, and it helped me a lot !

4. Montana Keith

Montana Keith Member

Names for Presence

Depending on the environment and traditions in which you were raised, here are some various names for "presense" or your true self:

Buddha-nature
    Christ-within
    God
    I AM THAT, I AM
    Pure Spirit
    Clear Light
    Tao
    Brahman/Atman
    Being
    Awareness
    Bliss
    The One Bright Pearl
    Source
    Consciousness
    Intuition
    Presence

Here are an excerpt from Peter Sumner's "The Practice of Presence" free online course. The Practice of Presence

What is Presence?
    Presence is not the presence of something or of someone else. Presence is your true Self and is the underlying reality of everything that is. It is the Absolute, your Oneness with God, the universe. It is who or what you really are.

Presence is not separate from you, nor is it some greater being in heaven who is going to punish you if you are bad. The Presence is the Absolute.

This Presence has no beginning, no end, no form, no name, no trace, nothing to compare it to and, yet, it makes up everything that is real.

Thoughts and concepts cannot grasp it. Seeking for it is like chasing a shadow: the harder you try to grasp it, the more it eludes you.

Presence or Awareness is your natural, unborn and deathless Identity. Paradoxically, Presence is also the Source and Substance of everything that arises in awareness -- what you see before you and what you notice about your inner state (thoughts and feelings).

But one thought about it, one judgment, one interpretation and you are lost in what your limited mind has made up about it. You are no longer in the moment. You are caught in the past, separate. Fear arises, and you project with your limited mind in order to protect what you are making yourself up to be.

5. Montana Keith

Montana Keith Member

Mooji on "The Real Self"

The following is a video of Mooji telling a parable about "The Real Self": YouTube - Remain as the Self -Mooji Berkeley 3

The following story lead me to this link: Our Real Nature

Focus on the Road!
    A man is learning to drive and is out in his instructor's car with the instructor sitting beside him. He has had a few lessons and is beginning to feel more confident, so the instructor tells him to drive onto the freeway. He does so, but then it starts to rain.

The rain gets heavier, so the instructor tells him to put on the windscreen-wipers. The learner-driver turns them on, but because this is a new experience for him, he finds he is quite distracted by the wipers moving from side to side in front of him and soon the car begins to swerve from side to side on the freeway.

As they veer from side to side along the freeway, the cars behind them begin to sound their horns, so the driver says to the instructor, "I can't control the car properly with this distraction in front of me, can we pull over and stop?"

The instructor says, "No, you can't stop on the freeway -- focus on the road."

The driver says, "But I can't, the windscreen-wipers are too much of a distraction."

The instructor replied, "Just focus on the road."

The driver then begins to plead with the instructor, "Please, can we just slow the wipers down a little?"

To which the instructor replied, "No, the rain is too heavy -- focus on the road."

The driver is still distracted by the mesmerizing wipers and struggling to keep control of the car, so he says to the instructor, "Then, can I please slow down and go into the slow lane?"

But the instructor says, "No, maintain your speed and focus on the road."

The learner continued on eratically feeling very anxious and intimidated by the honking of the other cars and pleaded once more, "Please, please -- let me get off the freeway or I may cause an accident."

But the instructor again insists, "No, focus on the road."

And what happens? After a while, focusing finally occurs and the swervng ceases. When focusing has taken place, it doesn't matter whether the windscreen-wipers are on slow speed, medium speed, or high speed, because focusing on the road has now happened.

It is the same with this inquiry. You are saying, "My mind is too busy, there are too many things going on in my life ... how can I stay in the Self?"

The instructor says, "You are the Self ... focus on the Self."

Then you say, "But how can I stay as the Self?"

"How can I stay as the Self?" is a windscreen-wiper thought. You are the Self, focus on that only and these thoughts will not trouble you -- they will not distract you.

You think you must deal with all your thoughts and become a perfect person before you can be the Self.

But the instructor says, "You are already the Self -- focus on the Self -- abide as the Self."

An example of someone who followed this advice is the now renowned Indian spiritual teacher, Nisargadatta Maharaj.

In 1933, as a young man of humble origins and modest means, he met an instructor (guru) who told him, "You are not what you take yourself to be ..."

The instructor then gave Nisargdatta simple instructions (see above), which he followed verbatim, as he himself recounted later:

"My instuctor ordered me to attend to the sense 'I am (the Self)' and to give attention to nothing else. I just obeyed.

I did not follow any particular course of breathing, or meditation, or study of scriptures. Whatever happened, I would turn away my attention from it and remain with the sense 'I am (the Self)'.

It may look too simple, even crude. My only reason for doing it was that my instructor told me so. Yet it worked!"

The impersonal Self referred to above (as distinct from the egoic or personal sense of self) is simply another term for our essential or real nature.