1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

The Power of Habit

Discussion in 'The Law Of Attraction' started by pollyanna, Jun 26, 2012.

1. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

2. ajay2733

ajay2733 Member

Have any other warriors read this book? Its not only a fun read but it is good if you want to add some good habits in your life or subtract some bad habits.

3. jakesyl

jakesyl Member

Power of Habit

I loved this book absolutely life changing explains sociology of Habits, I recommend it to anyone and everyone.

4. AlexKid

AlexKid Member

thanks for the link friend!

5. Alison88

Alison88 Member

Hello

Could you please tell me the name of the author of the book you mention as I found there were a few.

Many thanks.

Alison

6. mavensophie

mavensophie New Member

The book's author is Charles Duhigg and I managed to work with coaching clients and use the techniques he suggests to actually change hard to change habits.

I hope this helps.

7. matthewfs

matthewfs New Member

Very good share. And thanks for the authors name. This is a very good poem. Some of what was read seems like I have thought of already. I've learned some more after reading like how habits can be your friend. I was a angry person and had bad habits. Its good to know you can turn something bad to something good. Something as simple as a habit :). Like the poem says you just have to be able to identify your habits. Helping to realize what habits are the good and what are not so good.

8. amandarich

amandarich Member

Hello Pollyana,

Looks like it's a great book, definitely it will be in my list reading...thank you for sharing it :)

Cheers,
    Amanda

9. I disagree that habit can be a good thing. I disagree that there are good habits. Obviously the word good is subject to interpretation and I would look to one's interpretation of what a good habit means to try to understand if it is possible for habits are good or not.

So when we say that a habit is good what are we saying? Probably that the habit provides more benefit than it does anything else. What does benefit mean? Probably that the habit helps in a materialistic or world of form or however you want to call it way. A habit that seems good, such as attempting to meditate by sitting cross legged on the ground for twenty or thirty minutes or whatever, may not be what it seems. Notice I did not say simply 'meditating', because meditation, which I deem as simply the act of being aware that the thought in your head at the present moment is actually a thought, cannot be a habit, you just are meditating or are not. any moment of the day. So first of all when we call meditation a habit, what we are really calling a habit is the act of sitting cross legged on the ground, or however we meditate, for a set amount of time a day.

Is this beneficial? Yes. Of course. Anybody who does this is going to be better off than somebody who doesn't. However it is beneficial in a world of form way. The same way having a lot of money is beneficial or being in great physical shape is beneficial. Just because I am calling these things of world of form, or of the material world, does not mean I am intending to make them sound bad.

But we must know that the world of form is of cycles. Ups and downs. The happiness that resides in the world of form is elusive, when attained it quickly slips away. I think that any good that comes out of a habit is good in this way.

So if this is true, which I would welcome disagreements and reasons for the disagreements, then it is up to the user if they want to call something a good habit.

10. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Habits are learned through repetition. We consciously learn to tie our shoe laces or drive a vehicle and over time and repetition, these acts become imprinted in our neural pathways. When this happens, we act out many learned habits subconsciously (without any conscious effort)

This is how our subconscious can either aid or hinder us. One simple example is, if you have learned to brush your teeth well and often, you will probably experience less tooth decay, less pain, less taking of chemical drugs that can upset your digestive system (which can lead to many kinds of diseases) and enjoy a more pain free and healthy life. In my humble opinion, this is a good habit. If you have learned to just brush your teeth for 5 seconds and not often, this will most probably cause the opposite effect.

And that's just one tiny habit out of the many thousands we form. Can you see the benefits or harm good or bad habits can make to our lives?

Meditation allows supressed emotions to surface, giving you the opportunity to simply observe the sensation accompanied with each supressed emotion and let it go. This is how you gain new ways of perceiving life, changing unhelpful belief systems and creating new neural pathways.

Becoming aware of your thoughts is very important (many people do go round on automatic, unaware of their busy minds or believe that their busy minds are who they are) When you become aware of them and realize your thoughts are "Just that" and not who you really are, can be a kind of revelation.

However, being aware of your thoughts is not meditation. Neither is sitting in a lotus position for however long a day. Meditation is a particular state of consciousness that you intentionally enter using a meditation technique. "Discover Meditation" is a technique that has helped many people who have tried for d├ęcades to meditate and failed. LifeFlow entrains and keeps you at a number of brainwave states, allowing you to easily slip into and rest in highly beneficial states of consciousness.

Resting in these states for just a few minutes a day can improve the quality of your entire being.

My much younger sister and her son are staying with us this week. I haven't seen them for 3 years and they have been shocked at how tired they are compared to us. The last three days they have been relaxing to LifeFlow for 30 minutes each day and cannot believe how relaxed it makes them feel. They have downloaded the free meditation course this morning and I can only hope they keep up the habit of a little daily meditation when they go back home.

I know how much this will improve their mental and physical well-being. And it will stop them yawning all afternoon hahaha

Through personal experience, I know how good habits can dramatically improve your life and I also know how bad habits can hold you back and burden you. Just try the amazing habit of gratitude and decide for yourself.

Hope this is of help to someone and I wish you an abundance of peace and joy :) :) :)

11. Novus

Novus Member

Hi, thank you for the link, it's a good poem. :)

Exactly. But it's not just our physical acts that gets imprinted, in fact every sensory input AND every thought pattern leaves a trace in the brain, either reinforcing existing neurons (the 'shell' of the neuron gets bigger, allowing the signal to travel faster through it) or creating new neuron connections.

If you know this, you understand why many people have problems to kick a bad habit. For example someone who has a drinking problem. Let's say a man is used to drink 4 beers every time he gets home after work. He creates a habit so he's able to do this fast (get home, get a beer out of the fridge etc). Now this person may know that this is a bad habit he should stop with. But since he's so used to it, he feels kind of powerless against the habit, he thinks it would take a huge amount of time and effort to stop it. Biologically he's right, strong neuron pathways take a long time to become thinner again and to disappear completely (->Forgetting). But practically he's wrong!
    As soons as someone has made himself consious about a habit, it's not a 'habit' anymore, it's a desicion! Every time he gets home, opens the fridge, he DECIDES to take a beer and drink it. He may be so used to this desicion that he doesn't notice anymore, but it's still up to him. Neuron connections make you do things faster BUT they can't force you to do anything!

When we meditate we learn to separate ourselves from our realm of thoughts, becoming independend. Every habit belongs to this realm and so we never were and never will be dependend on it! If you understand this you can simply kick every habit in your life that you don't want. Just decide!
    Of course for beginners it's hard to separate oneself from mind patterns, but you can learn this too and make it to a habit. ;)

To come back to my example, as soon as the man decided to stop drinking because he made his entire being understand that it's not good for him, he has no longer a problem. Of course when he gets home the thought pattern of drinking beer will still get activated by certain stimuli for example when he sees the fridge. But there's no urdge to follow that pattern anymore and it will simply disappear with time without him having to make extra efforts and mental training or whatever.

As I said you can apply this to simply everything in your life that disturbes you and you want to get rid off.

I hope you could understand what I mean.
    Have fun enjoying your freedom people! :)

Greetings,
    Novus

12. ananthapriya

ananthapriya New Member

This book had a verypositive impact on me. It's strengthening for many fields.