1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

The mantra meditation

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by Panthau, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Panthau

Panthau Member

Hi,

I just wanted to tell you my experience about it. I was used to breath meditation, and sticked with it about 1,5 years with LF. Then i came across AYP (advanced yoga practices), which recommend mantra meditation, so i got used to that.

It was a whole new meditation experience. No doubt that my breath meditation was necessary for me for a while, as the mantra meditation takes me much deeper, and (besides the fact that i stopped anyway with LF for a while) i needed to start with LF 10 again, because every other level touches deep burried emotions which are overwhelming me.

Just for those, who are wondering about which meditation technique to prefer. They are both great, but mantra meditation is probably for the more advanced or those, who havent that much to clean out.

Thanks,
    Pan

2. Karmoh

Karmoh Member

Hi Panthau,

Is there a difference in AYP mantra meditation and the one used in the free course. If so could you explain more please?

Peace :)

3. Panthau

Panthau Member

Hi Karmoh,

I dont know why, but i never listened to the free course. The AYP mantra meditation is a simple "I AM". I guess theres no real difference, at least not for beginners, if one chooses I AM or any other mantra. BUT there is a difference in doing pranayama together with meditation, which is part of AYP.

When i found AYP i stopped LF, because i wanted to concentrate on one thing. I found that AYP clears out massive blockages and conditionings, but without LF i lost the connection to the now, which has build up over the months. So i started with LF again. Unfortunately, pranayama and mantra meditation together with LF are VERY intense for me, so i need to take care to not overwhelm me, which isnt easy for a character like me :)

4. Edwin

Edwin Member

Pan, maybe it would be an idea to shorten your sessions a bit ? Overwhelming emotions might do more harm than help you in my opinion.

And "I Am" is one of the most powerful mantra's there is in the Vedic traditions, because it is easy to find the meaning of it. All the great sages ( Ramana Maharshi, Nisirgadatta Maharaj, Shri Krishna Menon ) recommend this mantra as the most powerful and effective in attaining enlightenment.

Just so you know ;)

5. Panthau

Panthau Member

Ah ok, thanks for the info! I thought that it is powerful, but i guess for beginners theres no feelable difference to any other mantra. Maybe im wrong :)

Yup i´ve shortened my sessions greatly, doing 10mins of pranayama and 15mins of meditation. I was overwhelmed by Level 9, so i tried it with Level 8 the last days. I felt horrible. The weird thing is, that the session with LF 9 or 8 is wonderful, deep and i see things very much clearer, but afterwards the great depression sets in. Got to stick with Level 10 for a while, i guess.

Thanks again,
    Pan

6. Edwin

Edwin Member

Maybe the gratitude exercise will help in closing the meditation in a different mindset ?

7. Panthau

Panthau Member

Its not directly afterwards, rather a few hours later. The AYP guys recommend to rest 5-10mins after the meditation, but that doesnt bring relief so far. Maybe its a possibility for me to use LF in the evening without mantra technique, just by closed eye relaxing. So i could benefit from both.

8. ChilliPeppa

ChilliPeppa Guest

Yeah Panthau you are wise to cut back. The I AM (ayam, eim) mantra is very powerful. That is the mantra I currently use and so when I started LF I only did one session per day. You might even need to go down to 5 mins of pranayam and add on another 5 mins to the rest period.

9. Karmoh

Karmoh Member

Hi All,

Can you tell me more about the “I AM” Mantra? I always thought “I AM” was OM?

Although I have been meditating for several years it has always begun by counting in/out breaths as one and gradually moving my attention to the full breath following the in breath fully and the out breath fully.

Since visiting this site I have experimented with mantras but not really had much success with selecting an appropriate Mantra
    The 2 I have had the most benefit from are So Hum and OM Namah Shivaya. So Hum fitted well with the style of breath meditation I have been practicing. OM Namah Shivaya is quite lyrical and soothing, but these have not been as effective as the standard breath meditation.

I’m going through an experimental stage at the moment trying different styles, reading lots of diverse stuff and listening to Krishna Das, etc. :cool:

Peace :)

10. Midnight

Midnight Member

I too, started off with watching the breath when I first began to meditate. I found it to be really easy, and relaxing, and I liked it. It was nice for a while, but I found my mind started to wander more and more with meditation sessions.

A few months later I began the mantra technique from the discover meditation course after my brother told me his experience with it. I was looking for a bit more structure in my meditation sessions, so it was perfect. I began using the mantra without LF on a particularly stressful day, and i felt so relaxed and like i had uncovered so many emotions that I almost felt like I needed to throw up for the first time (since I began meditative practices).

Now, I use AYP...specifically a few minutes of Pranayama before my session without LF, the mantra during the session, and then Samyama. Some days I even do a certain meditation that makes me feel ecstatic, and thus probably takes me up to a gamma wavelength.

I used to think that by doing all these things that I would release emotions faster, and I thought going deeper was always better. I certainly ate my words. Releasing these emotions made me feel terrible for no reason, and I always confused this process with something being wrong with me. I would think i'd lose my knowledge and my abilities to do things forever.

Obviously, that's not true, I never lost anything (because there is never anything to lose), but i could spend up to a month feeling this way because I resisted it so badly. This would create new psychological issues, because the pain body in me seemed to influence my thinking.

However, when everything got to a point where I was so overwhelmed (recently actually, I made a thread about it) that there was nothing I could do except let myself feel how terrible I felt. No more questioning why, or how, or what was wrong, or ignoring it. I brought it to the front. I felt it all, and I actually completely cleared up and felt extremely peaceful within a day. Unbelievable for me, because i was used to spending an obscene amount of time feeling terrible. The best thing to do is to be okay with feeling depressed. Let it suck. Feel the hopelessness and despair, even if you can't realize that it is not you. It will ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS pass. Sooner than you think.

I hope this story helps at least a little bit, Pan. :)

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  11. Panthau

Panthau Member

Wow midnight, thats great! Congratulations!

I too let those terror feelings just be, in fact i try to intensify them in the hope to release them. I felt this way a few times in my life, the first time was after visiting a hypnotherapist. So it seems like going too deep might cause this issue for some. The day will come for me, to release this terror - what ever it might be. Feels more like stuff from several lifes, than from a destroyed childhood! lol

You shouldnt connect your breath with the mantra, thats the secret. I did so the first times, until i read how it is done correctly. Just by repeating the mantra the whole time, not paying attention to anything else. This draws you much more in then watching the breath.

Yogani says its more the vibration of the mantra, rather then the meaning. Theres a forum post which may help understanding: AYP Support Forums - How did AYAM go I AM?

12. Edwin

Edwin Member

There are quite a few meditators here that never tried the project-meditation course.
    A lot of meditators are, as I was when I first began, self-taught.

I was totally into Zen meditation when I stumbled upon this site ( without the increadible forum at that time ) and I downloaded the free course to see if it was worth anything.

I quickly realised how extensively thourough and wise this course was, and I dropped my Zen meditation just like that.
    So, even tho some of you are now into AYP, I would suggest to listen to the course at least once.
    There is some real wisdom hidden in between the "beginners-guide" that it seems to be.
    After all, Michael had been meditating for over 30 years and had followed quite a lot of rather expensive courses before he decided to make a course himself. All the wisdom of 30 years meditation practice is stuffed into 4 cd's.

And it's free, so why ignore it ?

13. Edwin

Edwin Member

This is very typical for how your mind works Pan ;)

When you try to intensify the feelings, you are just as much trying to keep your emotions in control as when you are trying to ignore them.
    You are not letting them be, but you want to do something with your emotions.
    There is nothing to do, nothing you can do. Let them come up, observe them, and if you have trouble letting go, thank the emotion for trying to warn you.
    No feeling will last in your body longer than 6-10 seconds from the moment the hormones are produced to the moment it is filtered out of your system.

Basic rule to remember:
    If the feeling lasts longer than 10 seconds, you are feeding it with attention.

14. Panthau

Panthau Member

Haha alright, thanks for the hint. By intensifying i mean to concentrate on that feeling, not to manipulate it. But as we´ve already found out, thats not possible anyway. By paying attention to that feeling, i get aware of it... rather then suffering unconscious from it.

Yeah my mind would be quite interesting for very motivated psychotherapists... lol

Thanks for the reminder about the free course, ill give it a go, at least. Hypernervous as i am, im having a hard time to sit still and listen, thats why i hadnt listened to it so far... i asked a few times for a translation, lazy as i am... :)

15. Edwin

Edwin Member

Judging from the quality of your English in the forum here you will have no problem what so ever with the free course.
    Michael has a very pleasant, clear voice, and the audio has been recorded in a professional studio.
    You will love it !

16. MeditationMan

MeditationMan Member

Recommended Meditation Mantra for a Beginner

Hello guys,

Is there any kind of mantra you'd recommend for beginners? I've heard both sides of the conversation... Some say you should seek guidance from a master, others say you can start by just chanting to yourself or out loud, the benefit you're looking for out of the meditation such as "peace", or "relaxation".

Thanks!

17. Midnight

Midnight Member

Thank you:)

Wanting the feelings to be intense is the same as resisting them, because you are not letting them be as they are. To let them be, you bring it to your attention, and then do nothing. It's kind of like unclogging a drain. Pushing the mess downwards (suppression, ignoring, overanalyzing) only makes it harder for the drain to work properly, while pulling the mess out (letting yourself have negative states of mind) can be ugly, but ultimately removes the mess entirely.

Just felt like restating that, even though Edwin seems to have already answered it, haha.

It's gonna suck. It'll make you feel scared, nervous, hopeless, incomplete...mostly for no reason at all. But it's not supposed to feel great all the time, that's how you know you're releasing emotions.

Lol, it definitely seems like there is no end to the emotions meditation can dig up, but you don't have to release them all before you feel can feel completely blissful and peaceful (thank goodness). Take it moment to moment. Whatever you feel now, you're supposed to be feeling.

See, emotions don't last very long at all :) Even intense ones. The intense ones are usually short lived too, though not all of them go away after one instance. You can go through it several times before it is released.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  18. ChilliPeppa

ChilliPeppa Guest

The I AM mantra is not the same as OM. Both are very powerful beej mantras but have differing effects. The real history of the I AM meditation is a little vague. It is one of those that I understand to be from the Himayan Tantric tradition-read, the REAL tantric tradition- and has been kept secret for most of it's history. I am not an expert but this is my understanding. Although now days it is spelled in the English style as I AM it probably derives from several seed (beej) mantras such as ayam, ayim, eim, aim, and others. Recently this has sort of been coopted into I AM and very successfully so with the Gyana yoga tradition because of the literal english meaning coupled with the vibratory effect of the beej. Mantras can have meaning and/or simply the vibratory effect. The I AM mantra has both, BUT is not translated into various other languages, in other words if your primary language is Mandarin you would not translate the english I AM into the Mandarin equivalent, see?

Also, just to add, there are some mantras that are designed to be used WITH the breath. Hong Sau, Hamsa, So Ham, are among those. Other mantras are to be repeated without coordinating the breath with it but often one finds that this happens all by itself. That's fine, but generally by the time you've noticed this then you are ready to again use the mantra without the breath. This is just a typical and natural progression.

As far as finding the right mantra, there are certainly many to choose from and they are not all the same! A good way to start is to find one that the sound (not the meaning) feels good to you. Then give it a chance to do it's thing so to speak. If you jump around meditating with this or that mantra or technique and never settle on one long enough to gain it's benefits then it's very easy to end up feeling frustrated. Sometimes it takes days or weeks to really begin to feel what a particular mantra will do for you.

Aside from the powerful I AM mantra, some of the ones that I personally feel are very good and easy to meditate with are - Ram, Hong Sau, and Om. Beware though that for some folks chanting Om as a mantra is like riding a rocket, lol.

19. Midnight

Midnight Member

^Very informative post, I actually learned a lot of things about mantras I didn't know myself! Good stuff to know. I've been using the one in the DM course for a few months, and it's been pretty awesome.