1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

The Beauty of Not Resisting

Discussion in 'Mind, Body & Spirit' started by MEJC, Oct 7, 2008.

1. MEJC

MEJC Member

I remember in the Power of Now, Eckart saying that emotions are the physical body's reaction to the mind. When viewed objectively in this way, it becomes easier not to get so caught up in emotions. The whole thing about resistance causing the pain, is very true. Occasionally, a memory resurfaces for me regarding Lisa or about somebody I didn't get on with at Axa, or even ways I have been mistreated years ago; and sometimes I can catch myself getting caught up in it, and self-justifying the way I am feeling, and by doing that, you turn yourself into a victim, and this resistance of it (like the mind is saying, "No! I won't allow you to make me feel like that!") just feeds the pain, and you can fall into an endless circle of pain.

Because, for every past event you cling onto as a justification for how you feel, takes you another step further away from the joy of the moment and the beautiful simplicity of life.

I find it really does work, if you fully acknowledge the feelings for what they are, and give them all the room they need to pass on through, then they do evaporate quite effortlessly.

I have found the same to be true regarding negative self-perceptions. The pain is not so much in the negative self-perception itself, but actually in the resistance of it. For example, sometimes I might snap at my mother if she asks me an irritating question, and then I will feel, "Oh no, I'm so bad tempered with her sometimes! I don't want to be bad tempered! I don't want that to be who I am!" But then that resistance feeds it, because you think it's who you are. But it's not who you are! It was just a brief moment in time, and you reacted how you did just because that's the way it is! You are human like everyone else, and you are all kinds of things, everyone is all kinds of things, all depending on so many factors present in that moment. And if you cling onto it and resist it ("NO! This isn't how I want to be!") then you are again taking yourself away from the beauty of the moment, and ironically, you're far more likely to be bad tempered again. Whereas if you just accept it for what it was in its fullest, a brief moment in time, then it almost becomes beautiful.

And that's what it's all about: AWARENESS. Simply becoming aware of the truth of everything, the full truth of the imperfections of yourself and everyone around you, it all somehow just becomes beautifully simple.

2. MEJC

MEJC Member

I was thinking all this today, and something struck me:

If emotions are the body reacting to the mind, then if you can keep the body healthy (nutrition, exercise...) and the mind healthy (meditation, pursuing interests...), then you become less vulnerable to emotions.

So if you have less stress in your life, and have lots of good things happening in your life, then you will have less to feel unhappy about; yet also, if you have good nutrition, and get plenty of exercise, then your body is stronger and less vulnerable to react badly to the mind.

And it is here that I think I finally understand the ultimate goal of yoga.

3. Edwin

Edwin Member

That's so strange, I had the same "aha" moment you had just yesterday when I tried to explain to my wife how the way she thought of herself was actually different from who she really was !
    I too discovered as I explained this to her that her resisting her negative self-image caused the pain. The key is actually in the resistance itself ! The fact that you refuse to accept your thought means that there is a second, real you, that knows that your thought is wrong.

Since she doesn't think meditation is for her, I had to translate it to a language she understood.
    I think it applies to all of us:

I simply told her: Look at your 2 best friends, and look at me, if you really would be the person you are trying to resist, how could we stand to be around you ?
    We can see the person behind your negative self-image, and we appreciate you just the way you are !
    You don't have to do, act like or try anything, we allready like the real you !
    Now you are trying to resist the person you think you are, because deep down you, the real you, knows that image is false and not who you really are. That little voice is the right one, the big loudmouthed voice of thought is simply overshouting it !

Think about that next time you have a negative thought about yourself ! :)

4. bashmaki

bashmaki Member

Very well done Edwin!
    Did she slap you:)

gus

5. Edwin

Edwin Member

Frequently !:eek:

6. filly33

filly33 Member

If I said that to any girl at my school they would melt. Seriously, smooth man.

7. Edwin

Edwin Member

Heh, looking at it that way it could have been an attempt to "win her" for me, but it actually was a genuine attempt to explain something crucial to her. Just an insight like this one was enough to trigger enlightenment with Eckhart Tolle, the noticing that there were 2 voices in his head, one with anxiety attacks, and one in the background "observing". Which one is true ? To which voice do we listen, and more importantly, how do we make the other one go quiet so you can "listen" to your true inner self, part of the infinately massive universe ? If meditation is a tool, and my wife doesn't think meditation is something she would like doing, how can she ever transcend the mind that is filling her with doubt and unhappyness ? I really want the best for her, to feel happy and content, alive and present.

Sorry for ranting, I simply wrote down what I was feeling/thinking as I went along, but I think you get my drift right ?

8. filly33

filly33 Member

I do, and for the first time last night I experienced the two voices. It was a beautiful night indeed. Well, I'm off to school.

9. bashmaki

bashmaki Member

Mitch,
    Don't tell to many people about the two voices without a disclaimer immediately following. They put some people on meditation, I mean, medication for less.

gus

10. filly33

filly33 Member

Haha. That made me laugh. Two voices in the sense that I recognized the true voice. The one that speaks the truth. Don't go saying anything, I don't want to go on meds:S.

11. Edwin

Edwin Member

I don't understand Gus, what do you mean about medic....
    ... ation ? I consider myself completely normal ! :D

12. filly33

filly33 Member

Oh snap! See what you've unleashed, Meditation. DAMMNNNN YOUUUU!!

*Epic music plays in background. Mitchell raises his hands into the air as rain falls around him.*