1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Thank you

Discussion in 'START HERE: Registration & Introductions' started by `Tired`, Nov 25, 2008.

1. `Tired`

`Tired` Member

I just wanted to stop in and thank you for the downloads. I have bipolar disorder, chronic PTSD, OCD and IED with an almost continual high anxiety level mixed with panic attacks. I'm hoping this will help me along with my faith in Christ to one day live a life free of anxiety.

Does anyone here have any experience with any mental disorder and using meditation? (Especially PTSD and bipolar). I would like to hear how it may have helped you?

Thanks again and God bless! =)

2. Grey

Grey Member

keep hope

do not lose hope.

most traditionally trained doctors throw medications at these problems that mainly mask the symptoms without correcting the underlying causes. consider working with a good naturopathic physician. many disorders like this are the result of brain chemistry that is out of balance. correct the balance and the symptoms like anxiety and panic and all the others disappear. naturopathic physicians work to identify the imbalances then find natural ways to correct them.

two herbs that work well for anxiety issues are passion flower and kava. passion flower in particular you can take every hour or so as a tea or in capsule form. keeping the herb at a more or less constant level in your system seems to calm the steady state of anxiety greatly and head off panic attacks before they get started. it is especially helpful as a tea right at bedtime to improve the quality and depth of your sleep.

a simple breathing technique helps a lot as well. breathe in for 6 seconds and out for 6 seconds filling the diaphragm first on the inhale. it is part of a system called coherent breathing. it is important that you breath in for literally 6 seconds, not just to a count of 6 at some random pace. i cannot explain all the reasons why this technique works but it does. you can use the counting as your meditation mantra and combine it with listening to life flow. it should make a good combination.

again do not lose hope. all of these disorders you listed can be overcome and a sense of relief can be experienced very quickly once you begin addressing their underlying causes.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  3. `Tired`

`Tired` Member

Hello Grey,

I have been told that perhaps I have kundalini sickness by a few people who have some knowledge regarding it but I've been anxious since I was 5 1/2 years old. I think perhaps I've just been wound too tight for too long. Maybe a little of both I'm not sure...

Unfortunately there aren't any naturopathic practitioners in this part of my state. I did visit a reiki therapist when I was in a larger city a few years ago though which made a huge difference for about 48 hours. It's kind of hard to make a 250 mile trip with panic disorder to see her on a regular basis.

I can't take anything like anti-depressants or anything close to an anti-depressant because they spin me off into mania, which is like a bad trip on LSD. That's why I can't take anything like St. John's Wort or other anti-depressant like herbs. I had read about two herbs that are used for nervous disorders. I think I will check into the two herbs you mentioned so long as they don't contain alot of serotonin I believe I can handle them. I could make trips to Nashville if I could relax. It'd be nice to be free to go places again.

You know, I used to meditate for 2 hours a day when I was younger. I actually do remember being extremely peaceful in those days. The strange thing is, I've been listening to the "healing emotional trauma" MP3 and I'm feeling sort of like I used to off and on. At this point in my life, if I feel peaceful for 5 minutes a day I'm very thankful but I've been feeling peaceful off and on throughout the 24 hour periods on occasion...it's almost unreal and a very welcome sensation when it does happen. :)

Thanks for the reply, sorry about the delay.

God Bless. :)