1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Teaching children meditation

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by laurenagogo, Feb 20, 2008.

1. laurenagogo

laurenagogo Member

I'm new at this, but definitely feel like meditation is having meaningful benefits in my tranquility and ability to think clearly. Does anyone know much about teaching children to meditate and whether there is any recommended age to begin? Thanks.

2. Michael Mackenzie

Michael Mackenzie Owner

answer

Hi there, I noticed you said you are new to meditation. What type of meditation are you practising?

There is no age limit on teaching meditation. If you accept the idea that meditation is in fact our natural state of consciousness that simply gets covered over and cluttered up by excessive thoughts and domination of mind-activities, then you realize that children are literally born into a state of meditation. They don't have all the mind-generated chatter that we adults have accumulated.

As soon as a child is old enough to understand directions for practicing a meditation technique it shows that they have already begun to suppress their natural state of meditation in favor of a mind-dominated mode of being. In my opinion that means the sooner you start them learning meditation, the better off they are and the nearer they are towards returning to their original, at-birth state of consciousness.

Michael :)

3. laurenagogo

laurenagogo Member

Thanks for your prompt reply Michael. I have been doing mantra based meditation as described here, but only for a week or so. I can already see the value of it and am interested in teaching my children long term, once I get more experience.