1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Taoist Meditation?

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by RedOgre, Jul 19, 2010.

1. RedOgre

RedOgre Member

I'm new here, and new to meditation in particular, but that won't stop me from asking.

While learning about meditation, I've had to brush to the side Buddhist and Hindu meditation namely because I don't agree with their backgrounds, and using the meditation without agreeing with the concepts that conceived of the meditation just feels wrong.

I do agree with Taoism in most aspects, and feel that I could utilize that style of meditation, but I have no resources on how it's done. The scattered websites I've visited are not very helpful at all, with vague instruction and terms I'm not familiar with frequent.

So, this is my question: Does anyone here have any sort of resources for Taoist-style meditation?

I also would not prefer to be referred to this site's supplementary courses, I came here for the meditation community, not to be preached to :p

2. GilesC

GilesC Member

No problem. Ask away... :)

Why? As an analogy, it's possible drive a Volvo car even if you don't agree with german politics. The fact you are associating the concepts of a faith/teaching with the practice itself is an issue you should let go of. I myself don't subscribe to all the concepts and practice of buddhism or hinduism etc. but I find the meditative practices very beneficial. It doesn't make me a buddhist, it doesn't make me a hindu, it makes me a meditator. ;)

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with Taoist meditation practices, but I would guess that, in principle they are little different from other meditation practices.

If I were you, I wouldn't get hung up on the idea that you have to subscribe to a particular faith or way of living just to partake in the practice of meditation that is commonly used by those groups.

Not sure anyone here really preaches anything, so not quite sure what you're referring to. :confused:

Hugs

Giles

3. Edwin

Edwin Member

( Sshhh, I think he means Swedish ;) :D )

4. Edwin

Edwin Member

Would you also not be interested in certain books ?

I myself wanted to learn meditation without any kind of religion or whatever, and found the book The Quiet by Paul Wilson.
    It systematically goes through all meditation techniques without any hint towards any kind of religion. And a "guide to enlightenment" as a bonus :cool:

5. Grey

Grey Member

you are a few years too late Edwin. the American company Ford currently owns Volvo.

6. Edwin

Edwin Member

If a cat gives birth in an oven, the cat doesn't produce buns, they are still kittens ;)

The owner of Volvo may be American, but Volvo will always be a Svensk Tractor :rolleyes:

7. Grey

Grey Member

seems now it is a John Deer tractor. that has all the makings of a good sales slogan: "Support red necks - buy a Volvo." think Ford will purchase the rights to use it from me? when Porsche becomes a subsidiary of Chevy i become a professional pedestrian.

8. Midnight

Midnight Member

Hahaha! That was pretty good :p

9. olmate

olmate Member

Hi Redogre,

My own early experience was one where I was like a child in a toy store. I rushed from one shiny technique to another looking for the "fastest" or "best" or whatever way to fix my problems - preferably by next Tuesday.

It wasn't really until my Teacher emerged and gave me the gentle and practical guidance on meditation practice - (without labels) that truly enabled me to cast the ropes off from the dock and set sail.

I have also found the wisdom within this Forum an invaluable wellspring as is Lifeflow. But again, that is just my experience.

I don't mean this to suggest that any particular meditation technique is right or wrong. We all need to choose the vessel that best suits our individual needs. Fortunately there is an abundance of vessels.

So whatever vessel you choose, I wish you success in your voyage.

Nothing but the best.

Olmate

10. GilesC

GilesC Member

Oh Booger! You can tell I don't have attachment to cars like most blokes; just so long as my car gets me from A to B reliably.... :D

I always thought Volvo were a German brand. My mistake. :eek:

11. Edwin

Edwin Member

Indeed not what most blokes would say... The A to B remark is kinda what you would expect from a female actually :p

But I know you have a beard as your avatar shows so...

Conclusion: You are the bearded lady from the circus :cool:

12. Grey

Grey Member

not so fast. Giles could be the reincarnation of my gran Lizzie Stewart. a hug from her was a near certain case of whisker burn.

13. stelusia

stelusia Member

just funny:))

from meditation to the cars..that's funny:)))
    i'm new myself..and i have to say that practising meditation actually got me thinking about change of religion..at the moment i'm reding buddhas teachings and i absolutely love it...it has a lot in common with "the secret"...
    i think whatever style makes you feel comfortable, is good:)))

14. Edwin

Edwin Member

You got it ! :)

15. GilesC

GilesC Member

Shhh, don't tell everyone. If they find out, they'll come and drag me back again! "No! I don't want to go...." :eek:

16. Itlandm

Itlandm Member

Just to clear things up a little, you are aware of Qigong? Like Taoism itself, it is rather fluid, and cover the whole spectrum from what we in the west call yoga to meditation. Some practices are more physical, others more mental, as the concept roughly translates as "cultivating energy" which could be on several different planes. Indeed, Taoism tends to view energies as interrelated, so that physical energy can be converted into mental, and mental into spiritual - or the other way around, presumably - but of course not on the same scale, since they are not equivalent in effect.

So - if you have not looked at Qigong, that is probably what you are looking for. It is integrated with Taoism kind of like Yoga was with Hinduism until fairly recently. Unfortunately that means there is not a lot of native Western literature on it yet.

17. bakol

bakol Member

Hi Red Ogre

I'll try to answer your question.

I have been practicing daoist techniques of meditation for about 15 years, and must say its abit hard to answer your question.

In Daoism there are a whole array of practices that can be called "daoist" and hundreds of meditations. Probably the most well known are the "sitting and forgetting" that are most similar to some Buddhist forms of sitting. In addition, there are alchemical meditations focusing on opening the different energetic cavities in the body, animal meditations, meditations to connect with the environment, the stars, the sun and moon. In addition, more modern daoist meditations focus on health and longevity.

I'd say what is unique about many daoist meditations are their inherent energetic aspect: the nature of chi (universal energy) is always directly or indirectly accessed or utilized with intent.

At its core, there is no real benifit to gain from most daoist meditations without the transmission that comes from the tradition to which the meditation belongs. Its like trying to get access to money in a cash machine without the pin code.
    Hope this was of some help.

Anders