1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Sup from So Cal

Discussion in 'START HERE: Registration & Introductions' started by socalion, Dec 1, 2008.

1. socalion

socalion Member

Hey my name is josh im 18 and just wanted to say this site is really chill. I have chemical depression pretty much all my life but didn't know I had it and started taking medication like 8 months ago. It has really helped but i want to explore my mind. I've been interested in meditation for a while but havn't really tried it yet.

I'm going to download that thing you can for free and check it out. But I was just hoping for some small tips or any advice. I smoke marijuana frequently and there are times if im not with friends i sit in my room and listen to relaxing ambient music. Close my eyes and see images moving with the music and I get this euphoric feeling in me. Which can last several days after this occurs.

Is this what occurs when you meditate normally?

Now i know people say don't do drugs but i've researched the effects of THC extensivly and there are very few cons. I really belive marijuana has helped with my depression also. Even if im not smoking that day or even week. Ever since i've started smoking I have way less anxiety and more confidence in myself.

Sorry for the rant ahah. I hope to contribute to the forums in the future and meet chill people.

2. Edwin

Edwin Member

Hi Socalion !

Well, I am Dutch, and like all Dutch people, I have quite some experience with Marihuana. This is because in the Netherlands, it is legal to smoke it and carry a small patch of it with you for personal use.

So, like all adolescents in the Netherlands, I tried it.

For me, it didn't work, it actually made me depressed instead of cure it. However I know from personal experience that it works differently on every person.
    There have been several small researches on the effect of marihuana on depression ( here is one : http://www.doctordeluca.com/Library/WOD/WPS3-MedMj/DecreasedDepressionInMjUsers05.pdf ) and they all have different outcome.

Now I am not the one to raise a finger and say : Shouldn't do drugs, mmkay ;) ( south park )

I do want to point out that marihuana is definately not a cure for depression, in the best case it can only be a form of relieve, just like anti-depressants are.

Also, it has become quite clear that meditation will work best when you have been sober for at least 24 hours. So, it might help relieve your depression, it won't help your meditation.

I can't make the choice for you, nor do I want to, and I don't want to influence you, but I thought you had to know these things.

You are always welcome in the forum m8 !

3. bashmaki

bashmaki Member

josh,
    Jeez josh are you sure you want to explore your mind. Mine is a pretty scary place to hang out sometimes and I'm nothing special so everyone elses must be like that too. :)

Mary jane will make you not care if you got typhoid or depression; that's what that will do! That is about it too. Far-be-it from me to chastise anyone that smokes it; I smoked it for years until I realized what it did for my attitude. I been on the mend ever since :) been 22 years now.
    Welcome to the club,
    gus

4. socalion

socalion Member

oh ok haha sick ty for the links and facts. Yea i guess like most things in life everyones experiance is different.

I have another question. I am an atheist and have been most my life. I always read things that people say meditation is a spiritual thing. Don't get me wrong i have nothing against religous people. But is there ways of meditating without it being "spiritual"?

5. Edwin

Edwin Member

Yes, go to Project Meditation - Free meditation for everyone, regis... oh wait you are allready here ;)

Meditation comes from many mostly eastern religions.
    However, that doesn't make meditation religious.
    People might have religious experiences after years of meditation, this is called enlightenment, but if you have read the books by Eckhart Tolle you will know that even that won't interfere with atheism in itself.

I practice meditation techniques that come from Buddhism, but that doesn't make me a Buddhist ( even tho I do tend to have a weak spot for it ).
    That would be the same as having a cat give birth inside an oven, and thus we would be forced to call the kittens "buns" because they came from the oven like bread !

The meditation course as given in the free download on this site is absolutely religion free.
    Just the basic techniques of a very powerfull exercise that will improve all aspects of your life :)

Meditate every day ! :)

6. socalion

socalion Member

ok ty for the in depth responses and help. i really appreciete it

7. Imed

Imed Member

Also note that religion is something completely different than spirituality; and it sounds to me like you are more against religion than sprituality. Religion is baically all of the beliefs, customs, and practices that a certain group (such as Christians, Hindus, etc.) believe in. Sprituality is more about just figuring out who you really are and meditation is great for that. You will have a greater sense of your 'self'. Words cannot really describe it though but you will know what I mean if you stick to meditating long enough.

8. purplevibe

purplevibe Member

Hi Josh, welcome to a web-site that will answer all sorts of questions and you will discover people who have been on a journey, like yourself! As Edwin said, 'Meditation comes from mainly eastern religions' and in the sixties a lot of people who were getting into spliff were also getting into meditation, I think that is the reason, in part, that it has become more widespread in the West. They were, like you, trying to expand their minds, I too have listened to music and seen patterns and been taken away, now I get the same experience through meditation, absolutely. I was talking with a friend of mine the other day who has been getting more into meditation recently and she says she can't wait to meditate because it gives her the high that she was searching for all the years that she was doing drugs. She has done all sorts of drugs and was heavily into the music scene. She said to me, 'it is hard to quantify it, but I just feel so good, I am in that place that I always wanted to get to with drugs. Do you know what I mean? it is difficult to explain!' I understood what she meant entirely, I also get that high when I meditate and it chills me but it also takes me to a place where I see lights and patterns and I don't want it to stop, they are so... oh, you know what I mean! Try the free course, the 15 minute meditation on there really did it for me, and I had to go further, I am now just starting on Lifeflow9 and all I can tell you is that this time of year is not good for me, I get depressed and want to sleep all the time, since doing Lifeflow I have sat up every night for a week painting, which I haven't done for about eight years. It felt great! Lifeflow opened the doors for me, to be me! To feel the true me under all that stuff that we get immersed in every day. Usually at this time of year I want to shut myself away but I am finding it different this year, and recently my meditation went to a different level and I have several times now experienced patterns and a light, it has been brilliant. This is my experience, only, you will have your own, but no, it is not like religion, spirituality; religion is based on laws that one must follow, spirituality, in my opinion, is more about finding yourself, deep inside, and a connection with the universe, with nature perhaps, I often meditate outside in the evening, in the wind and rain, and it feels great! Also, apart from the art, and feeling more optimistic, I have found things happening for me, attracting things, things just working out better, you may want to have a look at the Law of Attraction posts - it may say LOA, no it is not a secret club! Have a good look around this site, read, take it in, and think, you are finding your way, as we all are, and some of us are quite old (I am 45), you are lucky to have found this site, it has taken me years to get this far. It has been worth it, though, to find a way of focusing my mind, to get that high, it is so much more than a high, though, because it stays with you, you have got there yourself, that is different from using drugs to get there, it leaves you with a feeling of wholeness that I have never experienced before. I hope this makes some sense, it is difficult to explain, give it a go and see what you think, just don't try too hard when you meditate, just go with the flow, if you just sit and listen to the sounds, like you do when listening to ambient music, that is good. A mantra is good too, it blocks out any other thoughts in your head, because you are concentrating on the mantra, but just listening to your breath is good too, try to breathe in very deeply for a few breaths at the beginning, it REALLY helps to focus the mind a bit, and just relax. Relax, go with the flow, enjoy! x :)