1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Stiff Neck

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by PatD, Sep 8, 2009.

1. PatD

PatD Member

Hello All, I'm using the Life flow Cd's and I am experiencing a lot of stiffness in my neck, which can be a big distraction while meditating. I have been doing some neck rolls before & after my meditation sessions but the stiffness is still there (possibly worse). Any suggestions?

Cheers

Pat D.

2. Edwin

Edwin Member

Stiffness to the neck can be caused by a number of things, mainly posture or tension.

If it is posture, a different meditation position should cure it. Try lying down comfortably on your bed for once.

If the tensions remain, it is most likely caused by thoughts and it's effects on the body.
    So, instead of letting the stiffness distract your meditation, it might be a good idea to make the stiffness the object of your meditation. Focus on the feeling as if you are observing it. Think of yourself as a reporter, viewing the pain from a safe distance. There is a chance that when you watch the pain, you will know what thought or memory is causing it. If so, watch the thought or memory like a reporter again. Nothing more to do, just watch.

The tension, and the thoughts responsible, should go away.

If this is not the case, you could try EFT ( EFT Home - World Center for EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques) ) or the Sedona method ( Sedona Method (official site) The Secret self-help program; self-improvement technique ) on the pain.

3. PatD

PatD Member

Òkay Edwin...thanks for the advise...I'll try what you suggest.

4. Edwin

Edwin Member

Have you tried yet ? :)

5. PatD

PatD Member

I have Edwin & I guess the discomfort / pain I'm feeling is emotional stuff blocked in that part of my body....While listening & meditating I focused on the feeling & observed it as suggested....I guess I haven't got it YET as the pain is very much still there... as for the EFT & Sedona methods I'll leave for another time & stick with the Lifeflow for now...it's a big commitment time wise for me, but I do fell its worth it. I'll continue with the neck exercises before & after my meditation and see where it goes..

On the up-side the moment is bright, energy is good, long term outlook is clear with lots of positive thoughts..a million miles away from where I was just a year ago.

Pat D.

6. seatrend8899

seatrend8899 Member

Hi Pat,
    Does the neck pain still exist if you try meditating lying down with your neck supported by a good pillow? I must admit that I moved from the ikea chair to lying down while meditating around LF8 because of a stiff neck. Perhaps as Edwin suggested I should not have???? It may have been issues arising that I resisted???

food for thought

shine on :) :)

jim

7. Edwin

Edwin Member

Jim, neck pain can be a physical manifestation of an emotional problem, but is doesn't have to be.

If the pain is gone, the problem is gone too. It could have been physical, it could have been emotional, but if it doesn't bother you any more, don't give it any second thought.

There is nothing you have to do besides meditate. The mind will clean up it's own mess ;)

8. Edwin

Edwin Member

Pat, just like Jim I too wonder if you have tried lying down yet with a good pillow.

Does the neckpain only occur during meditation ? What is your favourite meditation posture ?

9. seatrend8899

seatrend8899 Member

Neck Positioning

Hi Edwin,
    When I took my TM course in my youth the posture taught was sitting down in a comfortable chair and allowing the neck to just "hang" forward with no required "muscle control" in the neck during the session. When I started up meditation again with Michael's free course I used an ikea chair that has a high back that allowed the neck to lean back against it. I found that my neck would relax to one side or the other thus would be abit sore.
    I believe that my approach to meditation has been wrong because it seems that one should maintain a constant "self supporting" head as opposed to leaning or lying the head down.

Any thoughts would be really appreciated.

jim

10. PatD

PatD Member

Lying down does appeal to me, but I'm not too sure if it would be best for me because when I have in the past I fall fast asleep...

The neck pain is most prominent when meditating but is also there during my everyday activity but not as prominent.

The posture I've come to use most is sitting in a chair with half back support & hands face down on my lap, feet flat on the ground, straight back & head looking forward, As I start my meditation I mentally scan my body to get aligned...the neck (left hand side into shoulder) always wants attention first. Then I just let go....I have been doing as suggested to observe the area of pain / discomfort...it's still a meditation in progress. Thanks for your interest.

11. Edwin

Edwin Member

Well, in your case, you have no pain throughout the day in your neck, so we can assume that when you meditate with your head upright, it should cause you no discomfort. I think you can safely try meditating without allowing your head to hang.

Pat, in your case, I would recommend asking a doctor about your problem.
    Constant neckpain is not a normal situation. You feel the pain more during meditation because you might enhance the tension by staying in one position, but also the pain you try to ignore throughout the day becomes object of your attention when all other distractions fall away.

Maybe it is something that is easy to cure, I would seek professional help with this if I were you.

12. seatrend8899

seatrend8899 Member

Head support

Thanks Edwin. What I meant to express was I was taught the "head hang forward" approach in my youth but I have totally avoided doing that in my new meditation journey. I instead sort of leaned the head back into the ikea cushion.

Would you perhaps suggest that I go back to using the ikea chair (till I build my meditation stool using Pan's plans) and attempt to maintain full support of my head without allowing it to lean back into the cushion?
    My thoughts are that this would certainly also allow me to maintain awareness during my sessions.

Thanks again Edwin for the rapid response.

jim

13. Edwin

Edwin Member

leaning the head back is not very good for the neck. The best position is head upright, tilted slightly downwards, just a hint forward. basically the way most people walk around all day. The muscles in your neck are used to that, and are so developed that it takes practically no effort.

or your head falls off after a few sessions.:D

14. seatrend8899

seatrend8899 Member

Hi Edwin,
    Thanks for feedback.

Good point about the natural position that has the most robust muscles. I'll try that..................hope my head stays on :eek: :eek:

jim

15. oneflewover

oneflewover Member

I believe the classic advice for head position in meditation is, ears, shoulders and hips all in a perpendicular line. Or as comfortably close as you can get to it. This applies in a chair or cross-legged position. As Edwin said head tilted slightly forward. Trust this helps Pat and Jim.

Graham _/\_

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  16. seatrend8899

seatrend8899 Member

Thanks Graham. It now removes the ikea chair for meditation use because the hips are forward from the shoulders due to the angle of the back support.

Pan's use of the meditation stool was "bang on" from day one. :)

jim