1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Staying in the now

Discussion in 'Mind, Body & Spirit' started by Panthau, Nov 25, 2009.

1. GilesC

GilesC Member

I agree with Edwin here. If you are meditating on the "I AM", or essentially letting yourself BE, then focusing on your stomach (or any physical place) or your feelings (wherever they be, in the stomach, heart etc.) will keep you attached to the physical realm and prevent you letting go.

The ego has no location. It isn't in the head, heart, stomach or my left little toe. Ego is when the True Self has attachments to anything "in creation"; where creation could be something physical, mental (memories or thoughts etc.) or emotional.

Also, how can the ego be in the head, when we have no head. I have no head, do you? From my own evidence, "I" cannot perceive a head. I can observe things through my senses that would suggest a head i.e. a reflection in a mirror, or even seeing a head on your shoulders, but those are just perceptions and I know these are not true.

When you are BEing, there is no physical, no mental, no emotional.

Hugs

Giles

2. Panthau

Panthau Member

Ok will do so, thanks Edwin.

I just had this funny analogy... one could say that we´re dreaming in our daily life and are awake in our dreams (dreaming on the astral plane is more "near" to our "self" then form is, isnt it?). When we are conscious in our dreams, we realise our daily conscious (lucid) and when we are fully aware of it, we are out of body.

If we turn that around, presuming that we are dreaming in our daily life, then the realisation that theres more then ego and mind would be "lucid daily dreaming" and realising the self, like Tolle did f.example, would be out of body :)

3. Edwin

Edwin Member

Careful Pan !

These funny reflections and sudden "insights" are made to move you away from your goal. Keep your focus on the I AM, not the thoughts and reflections.

Still you can enjoy them as they pass by ;) Just don't take them too seriously.

So, I AM !

4. Edwin

Edwin Member

[​IMG]

This was the drawing that inspired Douglas Harding.:cool:

5. Panthau

Panthau Member

So my mind trys to keep my away from my self? Thats funny in some way!

Do you mean i should stay with the I AM not only in my meditation but also through the day?

6. Edwin

Edwin Member

Yep ! Mind is terrified that it will disappear when you realise that ego, and the clutches it seems to have on you, doesn't exist. This is the main reason why self-realisation is difficult in the first place. Just listen to all the (rediculous) protests you get from your mind when you try to imagine how you will deal with problems when ego has been taken away !
    Exactly ! :)

7. Panthau

Panthau Member

haha ok i see. Atm im busy with just doing nothing. Normaly i would detract myself and do this or do that, but the more i just do nothing, the more unwanted feelings come up and i can release them.

Atm im reading the book "A New Earth" from Mr.Tolle, which you surely already have been reading. Its unbelievable how clear his message is, things that most of us already have in their mind - conscious or not - but he describes it so clear that even a monkey should understand it :)

8. Edwin

Edwin Member

Yes, it's good reading, even tho I never had even the slightest insight throughout the entire book. The way Eckhart describes things didn't seem to work for me.

In the end I found a Dutch Advaita teacher who was willing to talk to me through email, much like the way I talk to you in the forums now.
    But it lead to some pretty solid twitching and protesting of the ego before the message came. Having a teacher or master can really speed things up.

9. Panthau

Panthau Member

Sounds great, im glad i get some hints from you :)

I have some aha effects when i read the book, especially of my past. Since i can think, i protestet inside me against the ego - i always thought i dont want to get my ego reflected from outside (i was a child when i thought this!), but in the end my ego was so tiny that i suffered and i didnt understood why. And there was this scene, when i met my girlfriend about 10 years ago and while we were fooling around, i suddenly had to laugh because i saw the role she was playing, her ego. Thats what i always saw when i looked at people, i saw their ego. This ego seems to have had an massive impact on me in my earlier lifes *gg*

I wasnt fully aware of whats going on, now it gets clearer!

Edit: hm i feel like an alien when im outside the house. At first i thought its impossible to stay with I AM the whole day, but i managed to stay there and now i feel like a psychopathic when im with people because im so focused lol. A whole bunch of thoughts always try to catch my attention... concentrating on I AM is a lot harder when im sitting on the computer, so im gonna turn off now *gg*

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  10. Panthau

Panthau Member

To be true, i find it quite exhausting to focuse all day long on I AM. Its possible though.

Yesterday i was quite frustrated, as i wanted to get somewhere (see the post about goals goals goals :D ), and i watched a video from mooji, where he talks about the content and the room for it. I understood this on a deeper level and now i see that theres no where to go. It took me to a perception where i just couldnt stay serious... i had to smile and lough about myself.
    These little steps do get me somewhere, where i couldnt go by feet *gg*

Edit: It seems like this "insight" slowly disappears like all the other "insights". I wonder how Tolle stays there :p

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  11. Edwin

Edwin Member

By not trying to stay there :rolleyes:

Move on. When you feel restless, that is exactly how you are meant to feel at that moment. Accept it, thank the universe for it.

12. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Member

once you become aware that 'trying to stay in the now' is simply what you are being whilst the now continues, it should all become clear. What i'm getting at is thoughts and feelings that appear to be future/past or whatever, are still only occuring now, time travel is not involved. Or better yet, you could try to be in the now or not try, resist or surrender, dance a jig, or whatever, the point to note is that all these things are occuring in the now, regardless. A lot of strange behaviour drops away straight off once you realize this, because it becomes no longer necessary.

13. Panthau

Panthau Member

Thanks Edwin and Mangosteen!!

Edwin i dont feel very comfortable with words (as it is in my meditations), instead im concentrating on my breathing when i feel im not right here where i am. I believe this does the same for me, if not please say so.

I have to tell you what happend yesterday evening! I wonder what crazy things happen now in my life... i and my girlfriend were at a local appointment with "Braco" ( Braco ), who is supposed to open "channels" for people (all 30mins about 150-300 people at once!). What happend was... nothing! We both felt nothing that would be more then a placebo effect.

In the evening i layed down and finished reading the book from Eckhart Tolle about the new earth, and as i closed the last page my head and shoulders suddenly begun to slight vibrate and i felt this absolutly strong energy flowing through me. In fact, i felt my (not Pan´s!) energy, this massive potential energy which was always there, which everyone that learns to know me feels and which frustrated me since i can think because i cannot live it! In the same moment i also felt, that this energy wants to work through me, but its absolutly not possible through my ego (i felt how destructive that would be). So i need to put my ego in the background to be able to let that energy work through me... im not sure how long it´ll take, maybe a few years until im at that point. And i have absolutly no idea what this energy wants to manifest in our world.

Its just totaly unbelievable crazy! My girlfriend was looking at me, and got totaly scared... she said im doing something, but i was just sitting there and didnt move at all! Dont know what happend, and maybe its not that important for Pan to know, but it was definitly crazy *gg*

Edit: The only way to avoid that my mind is playing tricks on me, is to drop it the moment it happens, right?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  14. Edwin

Edwin Member

Very well said Mangosteen !!!

Pan, on your experience: Kensho is what you experienced. Think of it as a one-time experience. Don't try to have another one, just accept that you, as an act of grace, were granted access to your ego-less state for a short while. Now you know that it exists, from first hand experience. No need to prove it scientifically anymore. That there is enlightenment. Time to move it up a notch ;)

If the words "I AM" do nothing for you, that's ok, like I said, it's about the feeling of I AM. If you have that feeling when observing the breath, whatever works for you. Something that you can think about as well is the question " Who is the SEEer, and can the SEEer be seen ".

Mooji once asked this question once. With the question "Who is the SEEer" you look for that same feeling of "I AM". You know that there is a SEEer. That is what experiences all that you can hear, all that you can see, smell, feel, remember, think of.

You first have to become as aware of it as you can.

And then with the question " can the SEEer be seen " you try to find out what that SEEer looks like. You don't have to meditate on this, just close your eye's and concentrate on the question. If you have trouble with "can the SEEer be seen" ask yourself instead "what colour is the SEEer" or " What flavour" or "What shape".

PS:
    Mind will continue to play tricks on you. Don't worry about it. Like Mangosteen said, even that happens in the Now. Even that is seen by the SEEer.
    This is why some teachers say that there is nothing that can be done, that we are enlightened allready. We allready are our full Self, the SEEer.
    Everything else is just a pile of trash stacked on top.

Take out the trash !

15. Panthau

Panthau Member

Thanks for the link Edwin, quite interesting!

When i concentrate on my breath, its like im getting a little distance from my "me", my thoughts and actions. I think thats what I AM should do, shouldnt it? Asking myself "who is experiencing this?" is slight similar but not that effective.

Ill try that one with the "can the SEEer be seen", thanks!

We are enlightened already but we arent aware of it... so taking out the "trash" (mind & ego) means lifting the curtain, so we can see whats already there. But it seems like, it comes in waves for most of us, not all at once.

16. Franz

Franz Member

Hello gang. I was reading up on this post and just thought I would share my experience in the past two weeks. It looks like we have had this on going discussion on staying in the now and getting it right etc...The last time I posted I was telling you guys how I would try then get flustered and agitated then give up then I would find myself there again but right when I would notice it, it would disappear. Two weeks ago I was looking up some of Eckhart Tolle's interviews and he kept talking on about breathing but I didn't pay any attention to it for some reason. I have practiced breathing in the past to get rid of anxiety but I don't know why I stopped focusing on it. I was online doing some searches and I kept running into the topic of breathing everywhere I looked so I thought, "ok, let me bring some attention to my breathing".

I can't begin to tell you the state I have been in for the past week and a half. I cannot describe it because words cannot describe it. Edwin, let me just say, everything you have said makes so much sense now. I don't know what it is. It is difficult to explain but what best describes it is that I can see and that I am here. What I can describe is what I have been doing. Whenever I remember I bring my attention to my breathing. Before I begin a task I do this and everything seems to flow much smoother. Whenever I am bored I bring attention to my breath. In the middle of working, listening to music etc...It doesn't make me feel a certain way. It makes everything within me and around me seem to move in complete harmony.

In addition to bringing my attention to my breathing I try to feel my body. When Eckhart Tolle says try to feel your "inner hands" you can feel that tingle or energy or whatever you would like to call it once you put your attention there. I try this with my whole body when I am walking, at my desk, speaking to people etc...

I don't feel like I have gotten anywhere or succeeded at anything. Again words cannot describe. Everything within me and around me seems to flow peacefully and harmoniously. As far as my thoughts I can "see" them very clearly. I can "see" everything alot more clearly. Recognizing intuition is also becoming apparent. It is not just a thought alone. It feels more like a guide. I can feel it there and I act when I feel it.

I don't need to try get to this place or stay in the now or anything. It's already there. It's your choice to bring your attention there. As a matter of fact I was unable to meditate as much last week. When I did meditate I didn't do anything except listen to the LifeFlow track and just sit there and pay attention to my body and breathing.

Anyhow, just thought I would share this experience with you guys. Talk to you soon.

17. Panthau

Panthau Member

Sounds great Franz! Its a bit like remembering and coming home, isnt it?

18. Edwin

Edwin Member

Franz and Panthau

I found an interview.

The interviewer had some pretty interesting questions. He was able to focus on them even as Mooji transformed his conciousness as he spoke. Mooji turned it into a private satsang, and the interviewer can only be saluted for not falling silent. I would have been dumbstruck if Mooji had shown me the deeper truth that way.

However, during the interview ( sit through it, it is a long one but you will be happy you did ) Mooji presents you with the Truth by making you investigate.

You can't view this interview without getting a glimpse into the absolute.

Mooji, Beyond Consciousness

19. Edwin

Edwin Member

This is what people promoting the Law of Attraction are trying to teach us. To notice the direction we are supposed to go.
    The immediate need for meditation seems to disappear once the insight has come.
    The last remnants of ego will disappear from this point on.

Don't stop meditation just yet.
    Think of it as a chance to go deep into the state you are in all day.

The mind can still try some last efforts in taking over again. Don't worry about this. Even when fully engaged in egoic mind, you will know in the back of your head that that isn't real, it is not who you are, just "the hum of existence" playing in consciousness.
    You are the observer, the SEEer.

Nothing more for you to do, except maybe keep focus until it goes effortlessly.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  20. Panthau

Panthau Member

Great Video you found there Ewdin. I had to take a break, because its so long, but in the end it gets so clear and i could took something out of it for me.

The guy is real funny, in his first movement, when he came out of his "meditation", you could see that he´s totaly lost in his ego and mooji trys every trick to show him the truth, but he resists very well *gg*