1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Spiritual awareness and diet

Discussion in 'Mind, Body & Spirit' started by Work in progress, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Work in progress

Work in progress Member

Happy Easter or Equinox to you all!

Wanted to gather some thoughts on a current shift that I'm experiencing. Seems to me there are wise ones out there who could help me think this through.

In recent times there has been massive spiritual growth for me, and an awakening of perception that I didn't see before. I am sure that Lifeflow has helped with this. Should get to the point right...

I have been feeling more aware of the nature of the meat that I eat. That it is muscle rather than simply an edible item on my plate. (Previously would have said tasty but at the moment the thought of saying that gives me nausea) The more my spirituality is emerging the more I have felt like eating majority of vegetables rather than processed grains like pasta, and meat. After reading the Celestine Prophecy last year the thought has occured to me;

Is my diet going to impact on my spiritual abilities, will the consumption of meat mean that my vision is limited or that my empathic ability is restricted?

I have never had any inclination towards a vegetarian diet before. I was raised in the country and I love the foods I have eaten traditionally. But something is changing within me as I move through my spiritual awakening. It feels true that a change in diet will lead to more clarity. (That is a little scary because already the scope of my visions is hard to fit into my physical world life, no longer feel like there are many people I can explain myself to that would not immediately look at me sideways :( ) Yet I guess to use it fully I need to embrace the whole gift and what it can give to others...

I prayed for God to strip away that which was limiting me. After reading C.S.Lewis think it was voyage of the dawn treader where the child was encased in the multi layered skin of the dragon and eventually saw that he needed to have Aslan slice through the layers and strip him back to his bare raw skin (essence) I knew that I wanted that to...to surge forward to my destiny by leaving behind that which does not serve it/me. I guess that this may be another of the layers. Excessive eating has always been a problem for me anyway so I gratefully recieve these changes, but how far will it go.

Thank you Ta-su-wa (think I spelt that wrong sorry) for your words about gratitude for the life given willingly to sustain mine. I will now feed my family on the more expensive but respectful choices. But how far do I need to go for the purpose of opening my heart and mind to God. Will certain foods dull my additional senses?:confused: What have you experienced?

In curiosity and love, Becc

2. Papp

Papp Member

This statement could be enough to disqualify me, but Ta-tsu-wa and I publicly talked about this not too terribly long ago - the name of the thread escapes me but if you search Ta-tsu-wa's posts (you can't go wrong). Great insight there, has helped me see the topic in a more well rounded manner.

I guess it's fair to say that it is my opinion that intention is possibly the key. No matter what you eat, it will have been infused with lifeness or spiritness at one time. With that said...

Probably better to eat a meal that once had a face (meat) in a prayerful, respectful, thankful and gracious manner than it would be to eat something that is of vegetarian or vegan nature in a way that is not grateful, or taking a true appreciation for what it is, what has been given, the inter-being of resources that made it possible and the work necessary to get it to you and such.

The beautiful thing about life and spirituality, it's open - you get to choose. Experiment with things, look deeply at what is involved and how that makes you feel with what you currently believe and your current intentions, if it pans out - great... if not, that's great too.. at least you will learn something.

Though I could be wrong, I think the clarity you seek comes from making your own decision, from your own personal experiences and the layers of "fog" you lift from having had those experiences with the purpose of climbing the rungs on the ladder of consciousness.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  3. Work in progress

Work in progress Member

Enough of the self depretiation Papp! (that is from your mother..?)

Thank you for your time and your words. I am very grateful. I will follow this urge within and see where it leads, but it is helpful to hear what others have found. I will seek out that other thread tomorrow if its not the one i've already read. Is late here in South Australia and Lifeflow 7 is beckoning me to sleep :) I feel great love for you, being sent through me to get your attention... All the best Papp, the reassurance that is there for you is great...all will be well.

Light love and joy, Becc

4. Ta-tsu-wa

Ta-tsu-wa Member

Work

This reflects exactly my thoughts as well, only Papp said it far more eloquently than I could have.

I've got friends who are vegetarians and vegans, and at times in my past I've felt prompted to go in that direction myself, not so much for health reasons as for ethical ones regarding the sanctity of all life. Then I've come again full circle with the realization that life includes vegetation as much as animals, and that everything we consume should be properly honored no matter what its source.

What Papp wrote about how it makes you feel personally I think is the one central key. Though I eat meat presently, there may come a time when it no longer "feels right" to me, and I'll make changes accordingly at that time.

There is one advantage to a meal of vegetation I can think of, and you may or may not subscribe to this idea. It seems to me that when we eat meat we're eating a substance that has been energetically dead for a period of time. Many times meat has been aged before being sold, particularly those higher end cuts. Proper aging of meat is considered something of a gourmet badge of honor among carnivores. I believe that the longer something has been dead (read here, "cut off from its life source") the less beneficial it is for us.

Again, you don't have to subscribe to this notion because I certainly can't prove it to be true, but aside from just eating to obtain fats, proteins, vitamins, minerals and enzymes, I believe we also ingest something of the life essence of what we eat. Food that has been cut off from its life source for a longer period of time, as is most meat, probably has less of this life essence to offer us.

Personally, I've shifted in recent years to eating as much locally produced food as I can get (not always an easy thing to do in Alaska since most of our food has to be imported in from the lower 48.) But still, I choose the freshest caught fish I can find, and wild, locally hunted game, and we do have a greenhouse in which we grow some of our own produce, which we harvest right when we intend on eating it. I'm convinced we get greater nourishment by eating this way than we do by eating things that have been grown and harvested several days or weeks earlier then transported up to us.

Michael recommends not eating immediately before meditation, and most traditions of meditation offer similar caveats. Eating a large meal then entering meditation is a recipe for falling asleep. I would extend this to say that regardless of what you choose to consume, don't over eat. Years ago I had a trainer who bucked the conventional wisdom and he taught me that if I wanted to maintain a healthy weight all my life, eat until I take the edge off my hunger and then stop. Don't eat to satiation. Then, when the edge of hunger is gone, give it about 20 minutes so that my body gets time to register the fact that I've taken in that food. If I still feel hungry after 20 minutes, eat a little more until the edge is gone again. I've found this was valuable advice and have tried to live by it ever since, not just for the weight aspect but as a way of enhancing my own mental clarity.

5. Inedible

Inedible Member

I started planning my diet around how it would taste coming back up. Don't worry about it. If your body wants you to be vegetarian you'll find out sooner or later.

6. Work in progress

Work in progress Member

Thank you Ta-tsu-wa! I can see that you totally understand what I am asking about. It is quite new for me to be this deep spiritually (in this time around at least) and I have never before been able to sence the vibrational energy in food before. You sound like you have found an ideal with your provisions!

I believe the conclusion I am coming too is that for each person in different stages of growth the body has different needs. There has been very clear direction come to me that to eliminate meat is important for me for now. And also that blessing all the food that I provide to my family will enhance what it offers them and reduce any energy of fear or pain that it may contain.

I think that I have over eaten most of my life because the majority of my food was so dead that it did not meet my needs. So was not just an attempt at emotional fullfilment but also to meet my energetic needs and failing miserably. Now that I am so much more balanced I am not making this mistake nearly so much.

Need to go play with my daughter now.

Thank you so much for you time everyone xxx

7. GilesC

GilesC Member

I have heard it said by some (mostly activist vegans as it turned out), that eating meat will prevent you from becoming truly spiritual.

I all the spiritual texts that I have come across there is nothing that definitively says "do not eat meat". As with all texts they can be interpreted one way or the other.

I believe the Dalai Lama now eats meat as a requirement for his health, but this does not make him any less of spiritual person.

My own view is that each person should make their own choice, and if they eat meat then they should not be reprimanded for doing so. I eat some meat and I make a point of ensuring that the source is local and organic and a path of least suffering for the animal, and when I eat the meat I acknowledge where it has come from (no, not the supermarket, the animal itself) and express my gratitude.

It is natures way that we are a part of the food chain, just like some other animals that eat meat or those that eat just vegetation or a combination of both.

Respect what you eat and only eat what you need. Become aware of how everything is part of the One and you are respecting your true Self in the process. What could be more spiritual than that.

;)

Hugs

Giles

8. Work in progress

Work in progress Member

Gratitude

Thank you all,

Feel much clearer about this now! Am again coming back to the personal nature of each persons journey. And that with meditation and inward contemplation we are able to be aware of our individual needs.

I am in a significant phase of transformation at the moment and am so grateful that my body is communicating with me. FLOW That is what I will do. Embracing the moments and honouring the requests of my body for its needs and offering honest gratitude in exchange.

Thanks all, you do embody wisdom :D