1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Specific meditations for acheiving LSD-like enlightenment?

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by TryptamineFiend420, Feb 11, 2013.

1. TryptamineFiend420

TryptamineFiend420 New Member

Hello everyone. As a new member here, I just wanted to start off by telling you guys what first set me on my spiritual path, as well as my goals. I also wanted to ask you guys' opinion on specific meditation techniques that may give me what I'm looking for. Unfortunately, I had juuuust finished typing a really long and detailed post and Firefox quit as I was posting it and the whole thing was lost. So I'm gonna try to condense it this time.

Basically, what first set me on my path of meditation/spirituality was my first psychedelic experience. I am currently taking LSD around once every week or two, but awhile ago I had a period where I was taking a tab every 2 or 3 days. This phase ended when my hookup left town, and I was left with no psychedelics for a while, so I was determined to find an alternate way to try to get the same effects that LSD was giving me. This is what made me get serious about pursuing meditation, yoga, etc. If the state of being that I expereinced on LSD was not enlightenment, then I don't know what is. Keep in mind that the drug seems to affect me somewhat differently than many people. Let me give you guys a list of some of the effects that I feel while I'm under the influence of LSD:

A strong sense of complete inner peace and calmness, rather than the anxiety I normally have

100% self-confidence that I can acheive anything I want to, rather than my usual state of self-doubt

Social self esteem and strong connection with others, rather than feeling anxious and awkward in social settings

A sense that everything will be alright, rather than worrying about future worst case scenarios

A total presence in the here and now, rather than my usual racing, chattering, absent-minded daydreaming

A total disappearance of my ADD/ADHD symptoms and an ability to concentrate for hours

A sense of self-understanding and self-forgiveness, rather than self-condemnation and guilt about trivial matters

A clear view of what I need to change in my life in order to improve it

A dissolution of mental conditioning (ego) so that I can see myself and the world around me from a fresh and unbiased standpoint

Quicker to find words to express myself

Extremely heightened creativity in my musical and artistic performances

Heightened senses, faster thinking, better motor skills, better hand-eye coordination, faster reflexes

An abundance of inspiration and motivation, rather than feeling lethargic, apathetic, and the infamous "writer's block syndrome"

An enhanced ability to empathize with others

A strong sense of connection and oneness with all that is, as well as a sense of understanding how "it all" works

Basically, LSD and my brain fit together like yin and yang. I don't take it and have a "far out", trippy, intoxicating experience like many people have. Instead I take it and feel 1000x more down to earth, sober, clear-headed, and lucid than I feel when I'm not on anything. I can even tell that other people enjoy being around me more when I'm tripping because I put off better vibes and am easier to relate with. It seems to "tune me in" to myself and to the world around me, which I guess is what Timothy Leary meant when he said "Turn on, tune in, drop out".

So anyway, that list above is basically a summary of what I experience for 10 hours when I drop a tab. Sounds like enlightenment to me! However, I'm looking for a way to work toward this state as a permanent state. I like to believe that it's in me somewhere and the LSD just opens me up to it, rather than that I don't have it and the LSD just gives me a false illusion of it. In fact, I really do believe this because I was once listening to a lecture by Ram Dass (my hero) where he mentions that during his time living in India, he gave his guru, Neem Karoli Baba, some LSD to try. The guru tried it on several occasions, and the dose he took was enough to send just about anyone to a mental institution. But what happened is that when he took the acid he experienced absolutely no change in consciousness whatsoever! This can only mean one thing, that this guru was already living in such an enlightened state that it was as if he was tripping all the time without any chemicals! This blew my mind and confirmed my belief that these states can be acheived without any drugs, and that psychedelics are able to merely give us a one-day "preview" of the enlightened state (for those who take them correctly). I am currently practicing meditation every day and yoga almost every day, only taking LSD about once every week or 2. Yes, that's still pretty often, but I feel like it always serves to reorient me in the right direction (and it's just plain awesome to experience!)

So my question is, for the above effects that I described in the list...are there any specific forms of meditation and yoga I should be practicing other than what I'm currently doing? Right now I'm doing a pretty basic meditation technique where I either sit cross-legged or lay down, and just focus my attention on my breath. I do not control my breathing in any certain way, but I merely observe it. As for yoga, I haven't delved too deeply into various exercises but I do sun salutations and basic vinyasa sequences.

Have any of the more seasoned meditators on this board experienced first-hand any of the effects I described from my LSD trip, but just from spiritual practices alone? If so, what kinds of practices did you do? Should I modify my meditation technique at all? Should I do any particular mantras or visualizations? What about practicing mediation right after smoking weed vs meditating sober? (I do both, but usually sober). Thanks so much for taking the time to read this whole post. Any and all input will be highly appreciated!

2. charlesbalcony

charlesbalcony Member

All of the effects you mentioned can definitely be achieved with meditation in my opinion. I just posted something about how my preferred method of meditation is to try and achieve a sensory deprived type state where I sit so still that I can't feel my body and feel as though I'm floating. Maybe you could try a sensory deprivation tank if you're looking for a more psychedelic sort of meditation (I haven't tried one yet, but I have heard good things). Smoking weed before meditating has never done anything for me other than provide a show of colorful 2-dimensional fractals behind my eye lids (I am sensitive to cannabis). Same with mushrooms, except upgraded to 3-dimensional.

I'm surprised you are looking for permanence of these feelings though; I've heard from friends that LSD has made them capable of feeling those positive things all of the time, even when the drug subsides. Maybe meditate deeply and reflect on all of those positive effects to experience them again whenever you please without the drug. My memory becomes a lot more vivid while in deep meditation, like watching a movie of my past memories.

Good luck ;)

3. GilesC

GilesC Member

In my awareness, the effects of mind altering drugs and the experiences of them are not the same thing as a true meditative state. Taking oneself away from the senses to experience something that is not real, but rather generated within the mind, is not meditation. You may get some "great" experience from it (subjectively) but it's not real. The effects of meditation are to become one in awareness in the reality of the universe.

I would recommend leaving the drugs alone and meditate using a mantra based meditation practice, such as the one taught in the Discover Meditation you can download here, or as taught by Transcendental Meditation (or other forms based on the same principles).

Those who seek enlightenment will never find it. Those who are in awareness are already enlightened... they don't need to know it or seek it.

Hugs

Giles

4. Panthau

Panthau Member

Hehe thats a typical response from the mind to negative feelings. Trying to avoid them, or to compensate them through more positive feelings. We dont have feelings like anxiety without the body/mind, but as long as we´re here, we need to learn how to handle them.

If you keep running away from your own thoughts and feelings, youll never reach that state of enlightement that youre seeking. You have to face and let go of all of your thoughts and feelings. Only there, behind them, lies the truth of the very now.

Drugs that bypass your mind may take you there, but only for a short duration. Dying (or stripping of the body/mind) is another possibility, but i believe we´ll start over then... one way or another. :)