1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Some Daily Practices for Spiritual Living

Discussion in 'Mind, Body & Spirit' started by CharlieBrown, Sep 15, 2009.

1. CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown Member

Dear all,
    I would like to share with you some daily practices, which I find extremely useful.
    What I am doing at the moment is focusing on one of them every week, also including them in my daily mind movie: hopefully this will help me transforming them into “second nature”!

(From Personal Growth through Self Awareness, published with the Author’s permission)

Daily Practices for Spiritual Living​

Meditation: All spiritual practices recommend using meditation, prayer or quiet time daily. Meditation helps us to progressively connect with our senses, calm the mind, detach from our emotions and harmonize our whole being. As we practice regularly, we can begin to contemplate abstract qualities--to consciously move into experience of the universal. Meditation also strengthens our ability to use intuition to connect with the divine. There are many different approaches to meditation and prayer, and lots of wonderful resources available to guide you in learning the art of going into silence.
    Cultivate an ongoing appreciation for everything that comes up in your life: Appreciation, gratitude and reverence are all aspects of love. As they connect us with the joy that lives in our souls, they help us release the pain that can only be felt by our personalities. Practice conscious appreciation, which brings an open heart and acceptance of others and ourselves. Simplify your life. Begin to focus more on all that you have rather than what you don't have. We can counteract the intensity of our suffering with intensity of awe, of wonder, of the experience of beauty. Keep a gratitude journal by recording at the close of each day at least five reasons for being grateful.
    Breathing: Take 10 deep, long breaths, consciously, daily.
    Pay attention to your thinking: Thoughts are powerful. It's been estimated we have over 50,000 thoughts every day. How many of those thoughts serve you? Learning to develop more awareness of our thinking, to replace negative thoughts with positive ones and to actively use intention to bring focus to our activities pays off royally in our experience of quality of life.
    Truly feel your emotions: With awareness, we can learn to free ourselves from automatic emotional reactions. We need to honor our feelings and explore them for insights. Become more authentic.
    Honor your body and the natural laws that govern our physical form: Not only is health essential to quality of life, but our bodies are the seat of our energy, power, motivation, enthusiasm, inspiration, playfulness, spontaneity and joy. If we dishonor our bodies, we cut ourselves off from all that makes life rich.
    Completely release judgment: The spiritual path is not a competitive event. No one on it is better, or further ahead than another. We are all where we are meant to be, learning lessons that need to be learned. Choose to focus on acceptance, for what may
    appear to be negative to you, and therefore to be avoided, may be just what you or another needs to learn something important. Ask for forgiveness daily, to release the judgments you have made.
    Ask questions of your subconscious and your higher mind, then wait and watch for the answers: There is tremendous power in asking questions. We just need to remember to do it and to listen for the response.
    Talk with your Higher Power, by whatever name: This does not just mean prayer. It means maintaining an awareness of what's going on around you and carrying on a mental conversation about it with your Higher Power just as you would with a physical companion. And always remember to say thank you for the richness of life.

2. chris063

chris063 Member

These are all wonderful, life-enhancing practices :) Thank you for posting this, I think even if just one was followed daily, one's life would slowly begin to transform.

I love the idea of thanking for the Richness of Life, what a perfect expression of gratitude :)

3. Panthau

Panthau Member

These are truly things we should practice in our daily life, thanks for posting!

4. Ayesha

Ayesha Member

daily practices for spiritual living

Thanks for all the points mentioned, these points are so valuable and I will be keeping a copy of this beside my work desk (where I spend most of my day). This past week I have been practicing to be more attentive and engaged in my interactions with people (especially in my job and working with people) and I have found my job to be more enjoyable. I feel the qualities of reverence for every human soul that I touch and this releases endorphins throughout the day. I feel a deep sense of accomplishment in my job, it's better than reaching a milestone in my career, this is helping me to eliminate the ego slowly but surely.