1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

slight problem here :/

Discussion in 'START HERE: Registration & Introductions' started by rklettke, Feb 26, 2011.

1. rklettke

rklettke Member

Just started meditating, but a very distracting thing happens. My legs shake. Will this just go away from my legs getting slightly stronger? And did anyone else have this when they started?

Thanks in advance :)

2. Hazelkay

Hazelkay Member

Hi rklettke

Warm welcome to the forum.

Leg shaking is not common but not that unusual.

What position do you mediate in? Is it a difficult one to sustain?

How long are you meditating for?

Could you say a bit more about what you are doing so we have a clearer picture?

looking forward to hearing from you
    peace and joy:)

3. rklettke

rklettke Member

Im just sitting criss cross with hands togethor in my lap. Trying to do it for at least 20 minutes before and after sleeping. I would say it is fairly comfortable for about 5 minutes, then I start to lose posture and my inner thighs are slightly fatigued from holding my body erect and not letting me fall back.

Just seems odd because thats the only way I sat as a kid lol, maybe its just been too long since I sat like that for any sustained period?

4. Hazelkay

Hazelkay Member

Hi from Hazel

It is possible that the leg shaking comes as things surface during meditation and will go of its own accord eventually if you just observe it and don't react with wanting it to go away.

It is also possible that it is simply that your legs are no longer used to sitting in this position for a long period now you are older.

Have you a cushion under your bottom to raise it slightly? This helps to keep the back naturally straight by tipping the body into a better position so the back doesn't round.

Do your legs or back ache after the sitting or are they perfectly fine once you stop meditating?

If they only react when you are meditating - it is most likely due to the meditation.

If there is some problem still when you stop it is more likely due to your position and you could experiment with different positions ie

legs not crossed,

on a chair - but not leaning against the back of it,

using a meditation stool so your bottom is on the stool and your legs tucked underneath or to the side of it.

Using your preferred cross-legged position and standing to meditate when your legs shake - this has the advantage that you will get stronger and notice that you need to stand after a longer and longer time. I would still use a cushion under your derriere though.

Have fun experimenting
    peace and joy:)