1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Sleep less meditate more?

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by Matti, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Matti

Matti Member

Hi! I remember someone saying that waking up earlier to meditate with lifeflow is better than sleeping little longer. My holiday just started so its good time to practice this. I've been planning to at first meditate about 1 hour and maybe increase time when i get used to it. I am currently using lifeflow 7. Is that suitable for morning meditation? Also i am wondering how far can you take this? You also need sleep, right?

2. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi Matti and welcome to the community. Holidays are a great opportunity to enjoy a little "me time"

I believe Michael has recommended if someone has a busy lifestyle, it's worth waking up earlier to make time to meditate with lifeflow and they will benefit far more from one hour of meditation than the extra hour of sleep they otherwise would have had.

I have never meditated for more than an hour a day and my life has changed dramatically.

If you simply follow the "Fast track" (click on the button at the top of the community page) you will achieve amazing results. You just need to make meditation a part of your daily routine.

The best time to meditate is really when it fits in with your lifestyle. I wish you an abundance of peace and joy on your journey :) :) :)

3. Itlandm

Itlandm Member

Scientifically, sleep consists of a number of "sleep cycles", usually 90 minutes long. Each of them consist of a "dive" or descent (from alpha through theta) to the deep dreamless delta sleep, then back up culminating in REM sleep (vivid, lifelike dreams). In the beginning of the night, a greater portion is spent in delta, while in the morning you spend more time in REM and only a little in delta.

Lifeflow 7 is theta so it will not compensate for delta sleep. That's why it is best to not use it in the evening and stay up longer, but you can use it in the morning when you would get little delta anyway.

Very few humans have ever been able to live without sleep. It is probably not something we should consider. But as you spend more time in deeper levels, you will naturally feel less need for it. Also eventually you will develop witnessing awareness even in dreams and dreamless sleep. (I have only experienced this accidentally so far, but some people have this constantly after decades of meditation.) At that time, the difference between meditation and sleep kind of fades.

4. Matti

Matti Member

Thanks for answers pollyanna and Itlandm. Morning is definitetly best time to meditate for me. I probably keep leght at one hour max.

5. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hi Matti,

Just catching up with your question...

Meditation first thing in the morning can be a great way to bring yourself to the present moment and become more aware, which will really assist you throughout the day.

Typical transcendental meditation (mantra meditation like Michael offers here) teaches a person to meditate for 20 minutes, twice a day. However when someone starts meditating with TM, if they've not meditated before or very little, they are usually started on 5 or 10 minutes of meditation, and then as they practice the time is increased until they get to 20 minutes. You'll notice with Michaels "Discover Meditation" that he teaches you to meditate for 20 minutes too.

When we come to use Lifeflow this can be quite a difference because all of a sudden we are meditating for 40 minutes (from the downloads, I've heard that the bought CD's are 1 hour, is that right?). I personally think that 40 minutes is more than sufficent for meditation in a single sitting, and 1 hour would be the maximum. Anything more than that and you're likely to over-meditate and may find some odd side effects, such as restlessness, agitation, light headedness etc.

Stick to what you are comfortable with and avoid overdoing it. ;)

Hugs

Giles

6. bashmaki

bashmaki Member

Matti,
    Many Guru's of old subscribe to the philosophy of which you describe and insisted their students do the same. I start work at 7:00 am every morning so rise at 5:00am. This gives me 30 to 40 minutes of meditation every morning unless something unforeseen comes up. Sometimes I can only muster 20 minutes out of my morning before I head out the door. I settle for that!

I think a mistake many make in the beginning is thinking if they can't set for their total allotted time; they just skip it. I personally think they are missing out on something wonderful. Many 20 minute meditations are very fulfilling for me. They especially keep me in touch, on track and smiling.:D

gus

7. Robbrent

Robbrent Member

I find I meditate better when I am not so tied

8. Matti

Matti Member

Gilesc lifeflow is 40 minutes long, but i am meditating on computer so it's easy to replay it. You said morning meditation is good way to get in present moment. I wonder which is better project-meditation or lifeflow for that purpose. I haven't meditated lot lately, but it seems like its harder to get to deep meditation on lifeflow.

Edit: Forget that. I just had nice deep meditation with lifeflow this morning.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009