1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Skipping ahead was fine...continue?

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by xblackxsailsx, Jun 16, 2013.

1. xblackxsailsx

xblackxsailsx Member

I'd done lifeflow 10 and 9 for a while (inconsistently) in the past, and I've been meditating almost daily for a couple weeks. My version of meditating is just sitting and staring at an object on the other side of the room and observing thoughts as they pass through, I do not use a mantra but nevertheless find that this quiets my mind by the end of the session. With lifeflow, though, I close my eyes but still don't use a mantra, I more or less "try without trying" to quiet my mind.
    Anyways, I hadn't used lifeflow in a while when yesterday I decided to skip straight to lifeflow 5. It didn't bring up any negative emotions while I was doing it (i'm a pretty happy guy lol), and within an hour I definitely felt some weird emotions (feeling as though things didn't make sense, a bit of a panic attack, anger) but nothing that I couldn't deal with. I dealt with those emotions and felt really good for the rest of the day.
    Is it ok if I just start with 5 and just go down from there? I don't feel like spending so much time on 9, 8, 7 & 6 if I don't have to.

2. Panthau

Panthau Member

I guess theres no one telling you what is right or wrong for you, except yourself. If you feel drawn to go down the ladder faster, then go for it. Ultimately its up to you what you feel able to deal with and what not.

Besides that every level has its own quality. Its not like theres something to achieve or so, if you go down faster... you just miss something. But thats ok too... its your meditation/LF journey. :)

3. xblackxsailsx

xblackxsailsx Member

For the last two days now I've gone ahead and used #10. Figured I wouldn't wanna miss anything, even before I read your reply. But I might occasionally go ahead and skip to another level...but I do plan on using each number for 30 days and going in a somewhat linear fashion.

4. GilesC

GilesC Member

A sculptor starts with a blank piece, or chunk, of wood or stone.
    He starts by cutting away the larger pieces to get a general shape of what he wants, and then starts to work at taking away slightly smaller pieces and then smaller pieces still, until he reaches the point where he is barely removing any more material and just adding the finishing touches.
    Starting with the finishing touches can leave the piece 'unfinished' and difficult to see what the intention was.

Likewise with Lifeflow, it's a progressive course, so it would be good to spend some time at each level, otherwise the further levels will not likely be as effective or do what was initially intended.

Hugs

Giles

5. xblackxsailsx

xblackxsailsx Member

...did someone delete my reply in this thread from this morning....? :confused:

6. Panthau

Panthau Member

Thats weird. Havent seen a deleted post on this forums yet, so id rather assume a technical issue.

7. xblackxsailsx

xblackxsailsx Member

Ok, well that's actually good because my previous post was much less calm (i was kind of freaking out lol, now i can be a little more coherent).
    Yesterday I did my regular lifeflow 10 meditation, and then my curiosity got the best of me and I did ten minutes of #3. Not the smartest move but I felt inclined to do it, and it was awesome.
    Last night I had trouble falling asleep. In fact I've been having this problem since I started doing LifeFlow again. Basically I fall asleep (or more like half-asleep) for about 10-20 minutes. Then I get a surge of energy and I'm fully awake again, totally unaware of what just happened, although it feels like I had a mini dream. Then I have to do some deep breathing, walk around my room, and just calm down to fall back asleep.
    But last night was particularly strange. I went to bed around 3:30 (I usually go to bed much earlier), and during the night I had a few cool, regular dreams. Then I woke up less than 4 hours later after having one of the most intense dreams. This girl was basically obsessed with me and she pushed me on a conveyor belt that like tore apart my flesh and all this crazy stuff and I couldn't talk and it was awful. Strangely enough, though, I accepted what was happening in the dream, almost like meditation, and didn't react to it. Regardless, I woke up really scared and feeling weird.
    Also, I'm not tired at all. I feel totally rested. Which is strange cuz I got like 3 and a half hours of sleep last night.
    The whole thing is rather bizarre.
    I think I'm worried that this stuff messes with your brain waves and that's why I couldn't fall asleep.
    That being said, I feel great today, like something's been lifted off my shoulders. So maybe it was like a repressed feeling? There issss a girl who's really obsessed with me in my life who I've only met once and freaks me out. Could be related?

8. Panthau

Panthau Member

Well, we process our everyday life in our dreams, dont we? :)

Playing around and trying different things with LF is cool, but ultimately its your responsibility if you get overwhelmed. If i do that, i can count for sure on some mood problems up to anxiety attacks... but i know myself and i know LF after years of practice with it. So all i can say, if you dont go the recommended way, is take care. :)

9. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

I released some huge supressed emotions a long time ago by observing the sensation in my body as I woke up from a few dreams. Once you know how to do this, it is extremely freeing. Of course the ego wants to desparately keep hold of all this baggage that it thinks is you. It doesn't want to be observed and so the mind will try to distract you. If you ignore the thoughts and just calmly observe the sensation/feeling you will let it go.

Our brainwave states are natural. Guiding the brain into those states intentionally by using entrainment is just another way of experiencing those same natural states. Nothing “unnatural” is produced by the brain as a result of using entrainment. Resting or meditating in them just a few minutes a day can bring amazing immediate and long term benefits. The problem is, most people spend way too much time in the faster brainwaves. The following pièces explain how this effects you.

When you feel stressed or overwhelmed, you produce faster brainwaves, triggering the release of heaps of stress hormones that cause you to feel more stressful, causing the release of even more stress hormones.

It becomes a vicious circle and worst of all, when you’re in this state, your healing hormones are repressed and your ability to focus, think clearly and keep calm is extremely limited

Don’t get me wrong, this state (known as the fight or flight response) is a remarkable asset if you are in a life threatening situation. However, the problem today is that many people get stuck in this state on a regular basis through pressure at work, traffic jams, relationships and many more situations that are not life-threatening. But it doesn’t have to be this way…

Hundreds of scientific reports have proven that you can control your mental and physical state by resting a few minutes a day in lower beneficial brain wave states where healthy hormones and calming neurotransmitters become unrestricted. One of these hormones is Melatonin which is vital to our well-being. Here's what some scientific reports have to say:_

Biological implications of reduced melatonin:

Melatonin is a ubiquitous neurohormone whose production is low during the day and high at night. It passes through cell membranes and acts as a highly potent antioxidant to scavenge free radicals that cause damage to DNA, Reiter (1995).

Hence melatonin reduction is involved with diseases produced by free radicals, including cancer, aging, neurological diseases, acute heart disease and heart attack, Reiter and Robinson (1995).

The circadian cycle involvement of melatonin shows that reduced melatonin will alter blood pressure and heart rate, neurological cardiopulmonary and reproductive functions.

It suggests that reduced melatonin will also reduce immune system competence and enhances the risk of cardiac, neurological and carcinogenic disease and death through reducing its antioxidant activity. These predictions are checked against clinical studies.

Melatonin reduction and health effects:

Reiter and Robinson (1995) and Brzezinski (1997) reviewed the clinical studies involved with reduced melatonin. Dr Brzezinski identifies roles for melatonin in sleep and circadian rhythm, mood, sexual maturation, reproduction, cancer, immune system response and aging.

Dr Russell Reiter, an eminent melatonin researcher, is the founder and editor-in-chief of the Journal of Pineal Research.

Reiter and Robinson confirm all of the effects identified by Brzezinski, and add arthritis, asthma, diabetes, hypertension, blood clotting and stroke, cardiac arrhythmia, ischemic heart disease, heart attack, epilepsy, manic depression, suicide, sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS), Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Diseases.

Published papers are cited to justify each of these health effects. Most of the
    21 associated conditions relate to the oxidative damage by free radicals and melatonin's multiple roles as a potent antioxidant, sleep enhancer and immune system booster.

Here is a piece from a recent study about the benefits of brainwave entrainment, carried out under the auspices of the Canadian Center of Science and Education and published in their journal. It includes work by researchers from the School of Educational Technology, Shenyang Normal University, China, and from the Graduate School of Innovative Life Science and the Faculty of Engineering of the University of Toyama, Japan:

2.2 The Benefits of Brainwave Entrainment
    There are a few of the benefits you can experience with Brainwave Entrainment.
    a. Increase your focus and concentration.
    b. Increased memory performance.
    c. Increased creativity and problem solving ability.
    d. Enhanced sleep and ease of getting to sleep.
    Vol. 2, No. 2 Computer and Information Science
    e. Enhanced health.
    f. Access your intuition.
    g. Relaxation and stress reduction.
    h. Behavior modification (getting rid of your bad habits).
    In the above benefits, 1, 2 and 3 is rated to the learning efficiency. When your brain is brought into an alpha or delta state by Brainwave Entrainment, you will find that you have improved your learning abilities. There are studies that say most of all sickness is strongly linked to stress. Stress causes chemical changes in the brain which in turn affect your health. By using Brainwave Entrainment to change the state that your brain is in, you can affect your health in a positive manner. Just by bringing your brain into an alpha state you will find that your stress melts away and your outlook on life brightens. I do want to mention that diet and exercise is also crucial to reducing stress and you will find that you can use Brainwave Entrainment to help program your mind to change your diet and get you to exercise. The benefits to be realized by controlling your brainwaves are wonderful. You may be thinking, Brainwave Entrainment is similar in the sense that you will find over time you will be able to handle stress and life’s issues more easily.

Here's a link written by a well respected member of the community that explains the importance of using the LifeFlow tracks in the order recommended:-

http://www.project-meditation.org/c.../1437-experiences-lf-9-lf-1-a-2.html#post7113

And another of his great pièces:-

http://www.project-meditation.org/c...nciples-meditation-entrainment.html#post12298

Finally, here's a link to the benefits of the various brainwave states of LifeFlow.
    http://www.project-meditation.org/c...t-project-meditation/22-brainwave-states.html

I know this post is like a book but if you take the time to read it I feel sure it will put your mind at rest and you will probably know more about the benefits of meditation and entrainment than most others.

I wish you much peace and joy :) :) :)

10. xblackxsailsx

xblackxsailsx Member

Thanks for the replies :) I'll check out those articles :)
    But now I've got yet another weird problem.
    After meditating just now with LF10 (you convinced me to go in order! lol) for a couple minutes after my vision was all weird. And by all weird I mean I was seeing things in bars. It's hard to explain, at first I thought there was something wrong with my computer screen but then I realized everything looked like that!
    Don't know how else to explain it. I just saw different contrasting light and dark horizontal bars....make sense?
    My eyes were closed during the medtation. I tried the mantra thing but I didn't like it, and went back to my tried-and-true method of simply observing thoughts, allowing them to pass through, and then eventually entering into a state of not having too many thoughts (thoughtless awareness).
    I got pretty deep into this meditation. And I stayed totally awake and alert the whole time which is unusual for me because I work on a farm and am usually tired by the time i meditate, but I took a nap today! haha
    Something tells me this is going to be a strange trip, this lifeflow thing....

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  11. xblackxsailsx

xblackxsailsx Member

I'll be honest, this stuff is a little scary to me.

12. xblackxsailsx

xblackxsailsx Member

I had a realization!
    I've been using Dr. Dre's "Beats" headphones.
    They're pretty high-quality headphones, but they're also pretty bass-y. They say not to add any bass boost or anything to the tracks. I'm not toootally sure if they do that, but to be safe, if I get the "OK" from you guys that I'm not going to permanently mess up my vision or get migraines or anything, I think I'll buy some "studio" headphones that replicate the sound more accurately.

13. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi again,

you definately need to switch off bass etc. It's good that you are going to read through the links I posted for you - this one may be relative in particular:-

http://www.project-meditation.org/c...nciples-meditation-entrainment.html#post12298

Having personally meditated with LifeFlow for more than 6 years and playing some of the tracks over speakers and with headphones while working at the computer, reading, relaxing, having dinner etc. I never experienced anything that you describe. There are 12 people in my immediate family, ranging from 8 months up to 69 years - not all meditate but all benefit from the tracks in a variety of ways.

Meditation on the other hand is a unique experience to each of us although I don't see how it would affect your sight afterwards. Why not try just 10 minutes a day without headphones and check with a doctor (preferably one who understands meditation and entrainment)

Let us know how you get on and wish you much peace and joy :) :) :)