1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Sitting and Meditating for Longer

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by ryanrab2, May 30, 2014.

1. ryanrab2

ryanrab2 New Member

In a year long process of getting rid of back pain, I've all but vanquished the pain thanks to meditating and compound lifting (squats, deadlifts, pull-ups). Recently I've forgone chairs and now sit on the floor for passive activities (reading, writing, and, of course, meditating). But holding a sitting position for more than 5 minutes with good posture can be quite difficult, so I've come up with two possible exercises to help me.

One would be to add endurance to my routine, as I've been so focused on gaining muscle and correcting posture that I haven't run in months. I presume that the gained "endurance" will help.

The other theory would be to hold dumbbells (starting at 20 pounds) for an extended period of time in the archetypical positions of floor sitting, training my body isometrically to not get tired so quickly siting crossed leg, seiza, what have you.

Would anyone be able to confirm that both of these, or at least one of them, would in fact help? Anyone else had trouble sitting for long periods of time when they started to mediate?

2. olmate

olmate Member

I too believe that a strong core is important for our health, posture and well being. So is breathing correctly - deep into your diaphragm.

I also have given the chair away while at work. I do a lot of computer work but do nearly all of it in a standing position. My breathing and posture is much better, my thinking sharper and productivity way better. If I get a little tired I prop myself against a bar stool to take any pressure points away.

I also use a personal trainer as i have come to learn that an expert knowledge is important in getting balance back into my body. My goal is to be the strongest version of myself. This spans physical strength, body strength (circulation and breathing and hormones, etc.), mental strength and spiritual strength.

In any event, exercises that strengthen your core in my view are important as part of your overall integrated approach to life and living.

olmate

3. GilesC

GilesC Member

I would point out that even the most dedicated meditators tend to meditate whilst sat on something, whether it's a cushion (bum on cushion legs cross on floor) or a meditating stool (designed for a kneeling posture, good for back support, and prevents body weight cutting off circulation on back of legs). It's likely to place a huge strain on your back if you try and meditate by sitting on a flat floor. Meditation isn't about being some endurance test; you should make yourself comfortable; different seating positions suit different people.

Hugs

Giles