1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Sharing spiritual experiences

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by Panthau, May 6, 2013.

1. Panthau

Panthau Member

Some think sharing them can make you lose them. Whatever that means. What do you think?

2. olmate

olmate Member

That may be the case on spiritual experiences such as sharing experiences on our shadow (i.e. those aspects of our being that we find despicable, unworthy or embarrassing) for example, and that may not be a bad thing.

In a broader sense, sharing based on an intent of increasing understanding and development may enhance those experiences. Sharing based on "converting" views to align with a particular position may be less well received.

3. Panthau

Panthau Member

Ok. And then theres the sharing so the ego can profit from it (like desperate housewives tattle). So, sharing in a negative sense.

4. Michael David

Michael David Member

For me an echo of the experience returns to awareness. This is the vibrational aspect of the experience, the energetic portion. Think of it as a violin string that is vibrating next to another sting that starts to vibrate in resonance. The echo of my spiritual experience when brought back to awareness has a vibration although not as strong as the original.

I enjoy the echo.

Michael:)

5. olmate

olmate Member

"Desperate housewife tattle" lol... now that brings up some imagery - none of which is spiritual. Haha.

6. Panthau

Panthau Member

:D

I see Michael... well, if its love you spread through the word, then i see no problem. But if you feed the ego with it, could it come back in a negative way? :O

7. Michael David

Michael David Member

Hi Panthau
    I think there are two questions being asked. The first question at the beginning of the thread asks if sharing a spiritual experience causes the loss of that experience. I took this to mean that one may be reluctant to share their spiritual experience due to concern that the significance, feeling, insight, etc will diminish. I think there is a resonance in the sharing and it helps to keep the spiritual experience more present.

The second question seems to relate to the manner in which you share the experience. And as you have written if you are sharing to feed your ego it could return in a negative way. I think it would depend on one's intention. If your intention is to share the experience in order for others to also benefit then eventhough there may be a varying amount of ego gratification it would still have a positive result. And certainly it also depends upon the manner in which the esperience is shared.

Spiritual experiences and spirituality itself are difficult if not impossible to describe in words. It is similar to describing the taste of an orange to someone that has not ever tasted one. You can talk around it but not directly describe it. That is why it is spiritual.

I think I may be missing the point of your question. For myself I have found that in the sharing it is not the words that are transferred but the energetic vibration that flows as I am recalling and to some extend re-experiencing the spiritual experience. This energy or vibration is perceived by others either consciously or below consciousness. The deeper I go into the experience the greater I perceive that others are "getting it." And even before I may start to describe the experience there has to be an amount of shared interest so that we are both on the same wave length. It is not just a "cold" sharing which I do not think would be beneficial for either party. This may be what you were referring to as being done for the ego.

I wish I could have been more succinct but this is where I think poets hold rein.

8. Panthau

Panthau Member

All right, thanks for your answer. It wasnt meant as the most serious question, i just read about it in a book, and wondered if this could be true in some way. It probably depends, as everything else, on ones own expectations.

9. GilesC

GilesC Member

I think it's nonesense. :D

Any experience, by the time you choose to share it, has already happened, and is therefore in the past, so it's already "lost" in reality, and only exists in the present moment as an impression in memory, no long in reality.

The only concept of "losing" something by sharing it, is when people become attached to the past and believe it 'empowers' them somehow, rather than recognising their true self which doesn't need the attachments. You cannot lose something in the present moment, because the present moment exists right here and now, and any spiritual experience in the moment exists now.

Hugs

Giles

10. Michael David

Michael David Member

By chance or perhaps guided by synchronicity I just came across this quote by Anne Dillard.

" The impulse to keep to yourself what you have learned ( experienced) is not only shameful, it is destructive. Anything you do not give freely and abundantly becomes lost to you ."

Yes Giles the moment of experience is only now. Even the thoughts that we think are actually just a bit after the actual instant of now (I think you already wrote that about a year ago ). But just as a hot stone from a fire (of now) can be taken to warm another room. The sharing of a previous experience can warm oneself and others in a new moment of now.

11. Panthau

Panthau Member

Well, you got your point it seems. :)

Im not so sure about it yet. Ive read in several books of people that had special gifts, and lost it (Autobiography of a Yogi, i.e.). We all have special gifts, and can discover them... but if we abuse them (i.e. by showing off), maybe theres someone in charge that can decide that we´re not ready yet. Or whatever. Just a thought. :D

12. olmate

olmate Member

It could be that fine line between Power versus Force. Power attracts and energises while Force is energy consuming. In these contexts, power is now and in flow while force is our attempt to swim against the flow.

13. GilesC

GilesC Member

Ah, ok... well... "special gift" is not quite the same thing as "spiritual experience".

I think (I know that's terrible of me hehe!) the key to understanding this is by looking at how one perceives the "special gift". As a person who practices the Reiki myself, others may consider it to be a "special gift", and indeed I have come across other practitioners who do; but is Reiki really something "special"?....

No, it's something that is available to everyone, regardless of faiths, beliefs and physical abilities. The moment someone considers it to be "special" they are looking at it from a dualistic perspective, or from an ego perspective. For something to be "special" it has to surpass, or be different from, something else. As with many things that people label as "special" the moment someone considers it to really be special, is the moment they lose sight of what it really is, create dualism, and thus the dualism creates conflict... the old.. "I'm better because..." type of thing.

Sharing a "gift" without judgement; treating it in all honesty for what it truly is, does not make us lose that "gift" because if we don't have judgement of it, we have no attachment to it, and you cannot "lose" what you are not attached to. For example, a person who shares Reiki with others does not lose the knowledge of principles and ability to practice Reiki, unless they share Reiki with a view to them being "special" because they can do so; in which case they are becoming attached within ego, and losing their true Self.

In many 'spiritual' philosphies, there are things that are known as Siddhi's (the name may vary depending on the philosophy). In those philosophies like Hinduism of Vajrayana Buddhism, the Siddhi's are consider a type of special or magical power:

Siddhi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And on some of those beliefs it is said that the Siddhi's are tools to aid us in reaching spiritual enlightenment, but to become fully enlightened, those siddhi's must be let go of, yet many become attached to them.

Also, those siddhi's can be viewed as simply being levels of achievment in knowledge... a means of recognising that we have learnt awareness and have actually managed to let go of attachments. e.g. freedom of pain; meaning the physical body may still experience pain, but we are free of becoming attached to the pain and living with it as if we are in pain.

Interesting topic. ;)

Hugs

Giles

14. Panthau

Panthau Member

Yeah well, i mean special gifts and spiritual experiences as well (those that can be willingly replicated). I had some of them, especially when i was younger.

I remember once in my meditation, i had a cramp, but i watched the cramp instead of identifying with it... interesting experience. Guess thats one of those spiritual experiences, that i cant replicate at will... :D

So it all comes down once again to the true self. Losing connection means losing all those possible gifts. Good explanation Giles. :)

15. Michael David

Michael David Member

You have brought up a few interesting questions.

How do you know when you are having a spiritual experience?
    What are some of the characteristics?
    Are there varying levels of spiritual experience?
    Once you become aware of the spiritual experience would it seem that it had already ended?

16. Panthau

Panthau Member

For me it has indeed ended in most of the times that i become aware of it. :)
    Most people would think, thats because these experiences are not happening within the mind, because the mind rather blocks those thing. Becoming aware means activating the mind then.

A spiritual experience is for me something, that cant be described in words and cant be shown or given to others. Something highly subjective, a feeling or sudden knowledge, thats out of this world.