1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Shaking electric feel sensation while meditating

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by UnOccupied, Feb 26, 2010.

1. UnOccupied

UnOccupied Member

Ive been meditating for about two months. It has definitely made me see things clearer, and be a little more relaxed.

My question is about shaking. When im meditating, i start to shake when i focus on a particular thought. It can be caused by a thought about something that makes me happy, or something that makes me angry. The shake can be described as an electric shock sensation that starts around my back or neck area, and sort of travels its way all throughout my body, usually not making it past my knees. It doesnt hurt at all, it actually feels kind of good i guess.

When it first started happening, i thought it was just my body letting out some built of emotion, but the strange thing is that the other day, i was really happy, while playing a video game with my friend, and the weird shake thing came through my body, and it was the exact same sensation i get when meditating.

I meditate using the Discover meditation/lifeflow techniques, and i use a mantra. Same spot every day, 15-20 minutes twice a day.

2. Panthau

Panthau Member

Im experiencing also these twitches, but im quiet sure that they have something to do
    with my emotions. They also come only when im relaxed and arent thought-depended.

I had a session a few days ago with my psychotherapist, and we did some EMDR,
    where these twitches lead me to my little pan, which cramped because of certain things that happend in my childhood.

Ok, thats just me. Besides that, your not the first one who wrote about twitches
    and meditation. It seems to be some sort of muscle relaxation and maybe releasing something. Its definitly one of those billions sensations someone can experience
    in- and outside of meditation. Maybe someone can tell more about this one.

3. UnOccupied

UnOccupied Member

Well, its good to know others experience this too.

I just wanted to add, that its not a twitch. Its more of an electric pulse sensation. It is subtle, but it does make my body shake. Actually i guess its a little bit of a twitch, haha sorry im very bad at explaining myself.(But meditation has been really helping me out with that.)

4. lifeflowaustralia

lifeflowaustralia New Member

hey

hey i get twitches too if u know wha i'm sayin'. Them twitches start on my neck and my head starts to shake freakin' nasty.:confused: But if i control it, say by concentrating, it goes away. But then, i love em twitches as they leave me freakin' fresh afterward.:cool: happened with Transcendental meditation since 2 yrs back and is happening with holosync as well.:confused: With lifeflow, i fall asleep as i coudn't sit while doin' it so dunno. Well, if somebody cud shed light on it, thatd be great!

Happy meditatin' ya'll
    :D

5. Itlandm

Itlandm Member

It certainly sound like a faint Kriya. As this is a Sanskrit word, you may guess that you are not the first to experience it. It was widely believed to arise because the spiritual energy was moving more intensely through the body. There is probably some neurological explanation for it as well, since we are physical beings as well as spirits. In some people, especially if they pay it a lot of attention, the kriyas can become quite complex, long-lasting and appear many times a day outside meditation. This is not common though, especially in the west where such things are commonly seen as a sign of sickness rather than holiness. Most people more or less ignore the feeling and then it gradually fades over time.

The usual disclaimers apply. This is not a medical forum and the above is not a diagnosis, just friendly chatter. :)

6. UnOccupied

UnOccupied Member

Thanks! I was actually hoping for a response like that. I will look up some more information on Kriyas, and report back soon. Thanks again Itlandm.

7. UnOccupied

UnOccupied Member

I am starting to lose motivation to meditate. Like in the beginning, i was very excited to meditate every time, but now i'm feeling like its more a chore than a treat. So, when i try to meditate, it becomes even harder to calm down and get relaxed because my mind is just wandering telling me not to, and to go do other things, like play video games, or study for tests. I have been drinking a lot of coffee lately to supplement my lack of sleep, maybe this has something to do with it. Also, i read recently that when you do something your body doesnt want to do, your energy fields work against you, and it messes with your chi.

So, anyone have any advice, or suggestions on what they do when there body is saying it doesnt want to meditate?

8. Panthau

Panthau Member

Its not your body that says it doesnt want to meditate (besides if you havent had enough sleep), its your mind that is restless and wants to do/achieve something. It may think that meditating is a waste of time, there could be done so many other useful things.

Sticking to something is like every thing in life... you have ups and downs, sometimes you dont like to do it and sometimes you cannot wait for it. Its the priority that you give it in your life. If you really want to achieve something, you stick to it... its just that.

So mabye just dont try to meditate, but rather relax. Sit down, close your eyes and try to relax and let your mind do what it wants to do. Relax all your muscles inside your body and watch the muscles in your face... mine tend to cramp if i "want" something :)
    Try it with 10mins, then with 15mins and so on... if you give your mind a positive association, it is rather motivated to do it again :)

9. Itlandm

Itlandm Member

I happen to have a solution that lets you play just as much video games as before, if not more so! I have tried this myself. In the morning, my mobile phone wakes me up an hour early. (I recommend starting with no more than half an hour the first months though.) I then spend that time in emptiness while playing LifeFlow until the mobile phone goes off a second time. I feel a bit dazed right afterwards, but I used to feel dazed in the morning anyway. And I am less tired at work than I was before when I slept as late as I physically could. Success! I have as much time for my life as before, if not more so, and still get to enjoy the benefits of whole-brain synchronization and growth of awareness. Recommended!

(Incidentally, after some months this way you may notice that you feel less need to set bullies on fire and more attraction to tomes of timeless wisdom. Or perhaps that's just me...)

10. Speedy

Speedy Member

Questions about focusing on a thought

I just recently purchased the Life Flow system for a litany reasons. I progressed through the project meditation instructions on how to meditate and started Life Flow 10 on the 1st. My method has been a mantra just like instructed in project meditation. My question I have is how are people resolving issues such as focusing on a certain thought if the mantra is always being said throughout my meditation? I have read a good majority of the posts on the site and hear this common theme. Will the mantra simply go away in due time when meditating and be filled with thoughts from the past wanting to be addressed? I do have to say that today has been quite pleasant!!! I was lead to this site to try to find anything that would help with this mild depression. Today I feel like that black cloud has lifted quite a bit! I think I have finally found something that might actually work. Anybody that has ever suffered a bout of depression realizes the ugly effects that it can have on your life. EFT and the Release Technique did not seem to help. Thanks for listening!

Speedy

11. UnOccupied

UnOccupied Member

Hahahaha, i love it! Sounds like a great idea. I have actually been waking up hour earlier than usual to meditate in the mornings. But, my schedule gets so messed up when i don't get at least 6 hours sleep, so the first thing i wipe out to get that sleep is my one hour morning time. When i do actually wake up to meditate in the morning, it feels soooo good, and i love myself and the way i feel for doing it. Also, i like to tell myself that meditating for 20 minutes in the morning is more beneficial than sleeping an extra hour...agreed?

12. Panthau

Panthau Member

Hm so im not the only one who feels like coming from mars after waking up? I thought that´d be a bad time for LF...maybe i should try that too :) :)

13. Itlandm

Itlandm Member

UnOccupied,
    if you have a problem with getting up an hour early and meditating for 20 minutes, you can get up half an hour early and meditate for 20 minutes. The thing is, you have to actually meditate rather than just want to, like with every other thing. Many short meditation sessions are better than no long ones. :)

If you know that you can actually gain more time by meditation, and yet find yourself sabotaging your practice, then I can only advise that you reflect on what you really want. Meditation will change you. While it is healthy for your body, it will also change your mind. You will become more aware of all things, and gradually a stillness will begin to grow inside you. If this scares you, you have to decide whether you really want it or not. It is only your decision, not ours. It is not like anyone will condemn you for living the way you have always done. It is just that based on our experience, it is possible to get an even better life. How much you change is largely a matter of how much you put into it. It cannot be hurried, but it can be slowed, even stopped. The choice is in your hands, each new day. You can stop anytime. Or you can go forward, anytime.

14. Itlandm

Itlandm Member

Speedy,
    there is no need to worry that the mantra will crowd out your thoughts. Over time, your mantra will become transparent, and you will start to notice thoughts moving as if on their own on the surface of your mind, even though you are still holding on to the mantra. You can not be thinking these thoughts, because you have chosen to hold on to the mantra and are actively doing so. But they are still there, moving, like raindrops running down the outside of a window pane. By observing this you will know from experience that you are actually not thinking all "your" thoughts, but a lot of them just happen automatically. Your brain kind of produces thoughts like the kidneys produce urine, except hopefully at least most of your thoughts are a bit more dignified than that... but it really is a natural process that you can observe.

And if you hear nothing in your head except the mantra, that is fine too. Enjoy it while it lasts! :)

15. Edwin

Edwin Member

What Itlandm said is very true Speedy !

I sometimes think of the mind as a computer that is constantly trying to find useful thoughts for the situation you are in at that time. As this is done on a sub-concious level, your brain will not discriminate the thoughts. If it seems relevant, it will produce the thought.
    Kind of like that thingy in Google, when you type some search-word slightly wrong , it will say " Did you mean to say .....? "

Often this is very useful, but sometimes it is just rediculous. Mind can't judge that. It is up to you to conciously decide if it is useful or not.

In the meditative state, thoughts will eventually slow down. Most people think that this is what meditation is about, willing your thoughts to stop, but one can only do that for a certain amount of time and it takes great effort.
    When meditation requires effort, you are doing something wrong, it kind of is the golden rule in meditation.
    But how can one stop thought effortlessly ?

Well, you can't, at least not directly.

The method that Michael teaches is to observe your thoughts as if they are clouds, or like Itlandm poetically said, raindrops on the outside of your window.

See them come up, and see them disappear again.

You don't have to act upon every thought, if you leave it alone, it will gently and effortlessly disappear. You see, if you act upon that thought, treat it with attention, that will be a trigger to the mind that you want to know more about that topic, and it will continue to produce more thought for you. You requested it after all by giving that thought attention. So, when you have no intention to react to a thought, your mind sees no need to continue on the topic at hand.

That is all there is to it. Now this may take some practice, as we have been taught to act upon thoughts right away every time one appears.
    You will inevitably find yourself immersed in a daydream at a certain point.
    And that is ok. Don't be mad or annoyed that you allowed yourself to drift, but instead be glad that you noticed this, and use your mantra to guide yourself back into effortless attention without intention.

After some time, your mind will notice that the thoughts are being left alone, and it will slow down or, like Itlandm said, occasionally it will even stop for a while. This however is rare, and not the goal of meditation.

In fact, there is no goal to meditation other than meditation itself.

I hope this was useful for you :)

16. Panthau

Panthau Member

I like that, thanks :)