1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Self Doubt, What if'ing a lot.

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by swoosh94, May 7, 2014.

1. swoosh94

swoosh94 New Member

Hello guys, hope every one is well.

I've started looking into meditation about two days ago.

For the past month, I have been suffering with depression/negativity. I always felt like 'why do I feel like this'.

It started when I was in a super market. I had a hot feeling in my lower back and I was very aware of the feeling. Instead of brushing the feeling off, I put it in the negative box and every time I went shopping, I would get the feeling. It went on to thinking other natural things I was doing was weird. Everything I did seemed abnormal to me. All I was asking myself is 'why is this happening' 'How long until it stops'.

This all happened until two days ago. I had an awake feeling where I observed my thoughts as a oppose to following them. I realised it was me all along.

I really want to follow up and get into meditation and all things surrounding it, but my mind is always like 'what if it doesn't work' or 'this is silly, this is just a belief and is not real'.

I was wondering if anyone can help me tackle these negative thoughts, I know they're just thoughts but they repeatedly show up.

Thank you

2. Buddha003

Buddha003 Member

Doubt your thoughts, don`t doubt yourself!

Your mind is just striving to survive and I mean the egoistic part of it, not the purely instrumental one, which you can use whenever you need to... It will do its best to convince you that everything YOU are trying to do to get rid of it is nonsense, but remember first thing- YOU are not your mind, your mind is just an instrument, which you can use whenever necessary.

So, very simple thing which you can try to do right now is - don't believe the next thought!

By watching your thoughts passively, without judging them, you`ll notice space between them, then by focusing your attention on the space effortlessly it gets wider and wider... in that space you`ll find your true nature, you will get out of the Matrix and will find what I call the hidden paradise...

The key to me is bringing meditation to your day to day life. The point is that it's not enough just to sit for half an hour or one hour silently, trying to meditate and even if you succeed, it wouldn`t help much, since in the other 23 hours you`ll be doing just the opposite...

Instead, try to transform whatever you do in meditation- you CAN transform this very moment into meditation, just focus your attention effortlessly at whatever you`re doing right now. Slow down the movement - feel whatever you' re doing with your hands, you`re walking- watch the legs moving, watch your breath or watch the thoughts passing one after another and especially the gaps between the thoughts and see what happens... At the beginning it will be difficult, but by and by your depression will be just a memory and a totally new dimension will open up for you...

3. MeditationBuff816

MeditationBuff816 Member

I agree with Buddha003. Don't fret about the next thought you have or don't anticipate as to when it should stop. Mind over matter and try to control your attitude towards it using your mind. I'm not an expert but I think it may help you lessen that self-doubt one way or another. Just believe that everything will be ok.

4. MindsetShift

MindsetShift Member

Congratulation on trying to move past it... Actually recently I did a blog post on this. Here is a small excerpt that I think it relevant to helping you out.

"There is a phrase going around that says, “don’t believe everything you think.” The interesting thing to note is that on a subconscious level, every thought you have is based on a belief you hold. So you could say technically that you do believe everything that you think. Where things change around, though, is when you bring the conscious mind into the equation. This new factor gives you the ability to actually have a choice as to whether or not you wish to continue to believe the belief that caused your subconscious mind to think the thought that it did.

Cognitive behavioral theory talks about your feelings and behaviors being directed by the thoughts that you have. Thoughts really are very powerful and do take control of our lives, for good or bad, or somewhere in between. Quantum mechanics is showing us daily how our thoughts create the reality around us. So, it is important that you start taking the time to really examine the thoughts that you have and see what the meaning is behind them or if they are just truly noise. But, be warned that even the noise-based thoughts do have a larger meaning that you might not be privy to.

If you want to start down the path of not believing everything you think you will need to be prepared for an uphill climb especially in the beginning. The most common resistance that you start facing is something called cognitive dissonance. Basically, it’s when a person holds two different beliefs, ideas, or values at the same time within themselves and they are feeling mental stress and discomfort as their mind tries to sort it all out. This can also happen if you’re confronted by new information that conflicts with any existing beliefs, ideas, or values that you hold. Remember that when we are talking about beliefs, it can be related to cultural beliefs, personal beliefs, moral beliefs, religious beliefs, or any type of belief. Beliefs latch on to each other on an individual, group, county, and society level."

So do as was mentioned before. Don't listen to your next thoughts. Stick with your "will and decisions" you are personally making now. Slowly the energy of those thoughts will dissipate as you replace your belief structure. But you need to work on replacing those belief and changing that voice.

Keep it up!!!!

5. Panthau

Panthau Member

Actually a good reply from Buddha. Though im not sure if the thread creator has even read it. :)