Sedona Method Versus Release Technique

Discussion in 'Mind, Body & Spirit' started by Alan Groves, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Alan Groves

Alan Groves Member

Hi WeeHoo (fantastic name by the way, not sure if you are of Chinese origin or just going down a water slide very fast!)

It is too easy for the mind to find cons rather than pros I think. And I think there are some wonderful tools in Both Hale's Sedona Method and Larry's release technique and I must admit even though I got his course from a friend (it was copied about 6 years ago I think for my friend and he never used it but thought I might be interested so gave it to me) so I have the CD's and the work book from about 1998, when I emailed larry - he replied, when I explained the above to him and asked if he thought I should buy the updated course from his site (as sort of a personal test to prove my negative anti American pushy sales guy theory) he replied "no, you have the basic course when you have worked with that you can add on from there" which did rather surprise me as I thought he would for sure suggest buying the course again. So that kind of disproved my cynical feeling towards him.
    I think he's a great value to the progression of humankind, along with others.

2. WeeHoo

WeeHoo Member

Glad you had that positive interaction with Larry re: not re-buying the course. I think it's great that we get our personal prejudices/knee-jerk reactions shook up once in a while...it's great for me, anyway. It shows me how much work I have left to do!

Glad you like the WeeHoo name. It's neither Asian nor water-slide, but feline. For some reason, we named one of our cats WeeHoo. She was very sassy and impudent and now has a whole pile of family stories built up around her, as in "Mom, tell the story about the time WeeHoo..." Anyway, it makes me smile each time I sign in on this website.

3. Edwin

Edwin Member

I wonder if anyone can find a better reason for choosing a name like that :) One can never smile too much, nor can you have too much fun ! :D

4. WeeHoo

WeeHoo Member

Edwin, your message reminds me of a line from a Dr. Seuss book that we used to read to our kids when they were younger: "It is fun to have fun, but you have to know how." Thanks for the reminder. I'm smiling again!

One thing that my husband and I took from Larry Crane's Release Technique, and which we often repeat to each other in a bad imitation of his accent, is his explanation of how to deal with emotions, esp. when they feel overwhelming: "It's not good, it's not bad, it's just energy passing through."

So I'm not sure if this will help anyone, but here's how I deal with potential emotional landmines (which, by the way, are less frequent thanks to LifeFlow and meditation):

Something happens, maybe one of my kids gets lippy with me, and I realize I'm feeling angry. I check in with myself: "What meaning am I giving to this event?" This can bring up all sorts of beliefs: I'm a bad mom (if I were a good mom my kid wouldn't be sassing me...!), My kid doesn't respect me, My kid SHOULDN'T talk to me like that (anything with a SHOULD in it is an irrational thought and bears immediate investigation!).

Once I grab the thought, I run it through Byron Katie/The Work questions really quickly: Is it true? Is it really true? How do I feel when I think this thought? Who would I be without this thought?

Then if I'm still feeling ticked off, I move on to the Release Technique stuff, as in: It's not good, it's not bad, it's just energy passing through.

It sounds cumbersome, I know. But sometimes my annoyance stops as soon as I think, What meaning am I giving to this event? and then I'm able to respond from a place of compassion and calm. Sometimes it takes me longer. Sometimes I just yell!

A few years ago I wouldn't have believed that I could respond calmly to family stresses. But after working with these techniques for a while, they've all become so ingrained that they kick in automatically.

Not sure if this post is as clearly written as I'd like...hope it makes sense.

5. Edwin

Edwin Member

It does to me !

Thank you for sharing that, it sounds very worth looking into :)

6. bashmaki

bashmaki Member

I read the EFT manual this weekend; I know little about it. However, my daughter came upstairs while I was getting my butt kicked by a 10 year old playing checkers. I went to see what was wrong and she told me she had a headache.
    I started tapping the tapping points and mumbling some sort of gibberish( I couldn't even remember what I was supposed to say). Before I was even done here headache was gone and she was smiling asking me what I had done.
    I just shrugged my shoulders and told her I wasn't real sure.:eek:
    I went back to take the rest of my licking on the checker board. That's a whole nuther story. I can't beat the kid on the checker board; he thinks its funny.:mad:

gus

7. WeeHoo

WeeHoo Member

Love that story! I find that my 9 year old is more amenable to EFT than is my 13 year old. The younger one uses it for stage fright and the occasional stomach ache...also to calm down after fighting with her teenage sister. The 13 year old uses it, grudgingly, for motion sickness. I find that it works for me without even doing the physical tapping; sometimes (like in public) I just imagine pounding away on the tapping points and I feel better after a round or two. It's great stuff, and you're right, Gus, the words don't need to be perfect, or even spoken.

8. Bhavya

Bhavya Member

Eft

Thanks for the reminder Gus. I have to do a reading at my son's wedding this weekend (Valentine's day) and I'm feeling a bit nervous in front of a large crowd. I told them to elope but they wouldn't listen! :p I think EFT will be just the thing!
    Breathing might help too.... :)

BTW, my son smashes me at backgammon almost every time! :rolleyes:

Gotta love those kids! :):):)

Bhavya

9. bashmaki

bashmaki Member

Bhavya,
    By all means breath! You'll tip over if you stop very long!:eek:

gus

10. Matti

Matti Member

What lifeflow cd would be best to use when you release?:confused:

11. Ta-tsu-wa

Ta-tsu-wa Member

Matti

Regardless of which variation of the Release Technique you use, you'll be asking yourself questions and answering them as well as (probably) doing a little visualization. Both of these are somewhat cognitive intensive activities requiring a more active role on your part.

For that reason it would probably be advisable to use the LF-10 track, at least at first. This mid-level Alpha brainwave will permit the greatest degree of mental activity of all the tracks in the series and as such will most likely be more conducive to using something as mentally active as the Release Technique, at least in the beginning.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  12. Matti

Matti Member

Okay thanks, i'll try lifeflow 10. Also maybe Creativeflow or Optima learning?

13. Ta-tsu-wa

Ta-tsu-wa Member

Optimal Learning is also a 10Hz track I believe, so it would be about the same as using LF-10. In theory you could use any of the tracks but for practical reasons it's probably best to stick to the higher frequency tracks for now.

14. Alan Groves

Alan Groves Member

Hi Matti,

Another way to look at this is that the (maybe unwanted sometimes) feelings that can arise either during or after meditation can be released using either technique. It is not necessary to be listening to LF to release. The idea and the beauty of letting go is that it can be done in the moment - any moment, you do not need to be meditating or listening to LF to do it. If you get a bit deeper into releasing and are working on specific subjects, problems, goals etc.. then both Hale and Larry teach that putting aside time to release is a good idea. I am thinking that these sessions maybe enhanced by using LF.
    Take Care.

15. scotland01

scotland01 Member

hi all,

Has anyone know of done anything to do with "the journey" I had the book passed on to me randomly and was wondering about the workshop etc?

16. daisy3

daisy3 Member

If you mean "The journey" by Brandon bays's guide for self healing your life and setting yourself free ,I have done the 1 to 11 step and the camp fire process on my own a couple of weeks before beginning life flow.she also talks
    about the enlightening process she went through which is similar to what Edwin suggested with the "Who am I " thread.
    Her 1-11 steps and fire camp process of self healing appealed to me when i was going through emotional pain having to deal with ambitious ( at other's expence) & insensitive people at work and wanted to understand them and myself more to be able to deal with the situaton in a fair way.
    I began by looking at myself .It took me all day I found the journey process to be touching, exausting, beautifully calming after releasing hours of floods of tears. Of course i didn't heal myself in a day but helped me to see things differently and put me in touch with my inner self more.I was going to repeat the process but found out about the sedona method and have been practicing it successfully on many occasion.
    daffodil

17. seeker83

seeker83 Member

18. Edge83

Edge83 Member

I've had excellent results with the Sedona Method- I've checked out some of the release technique as well and heard some of the audio. They are essentially the same core principles, and the deeper I go with it the more I realize it's really a 'non technique' in the sense releasing is *natural* and that it happens by itself.. resistance and suppression and holding on to emotions is actually more 'doing' than releasing, but it takes working with these processes for me for some time before grasping and experiencing that more directly.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  19. Edge83

Edge83 Member

Thought I'd update this.

I highly recommend either, Larry or Hale - just check them out and odds are decent that you will be drawn to one or the other at first, as they are very different external personalities. if you really get into one, I'd suggest checking out the other. There is also a great interview that was recently released.. them interviewing each other.

One thing I can't over emphasize about this "technique" is that with time, you no longer need to ask the questions, or make this a cognitive process. Similar to what is done with enlightenQ, these are just signposts to get you to know what releasing "feels" like, what identifying the underlying wants "feel" like, etc.

Once this becomes identified, the process can be used more or less constantly, and only continues to get better.

Because it involves welcoming, looking at, and releasing those things we dont WANT to look at, by very nature the combination of it with enlightenq / lifeflow is killer. Both will greatly enhance each other.

20. Rongo

Rongo Member

I was there too....

Hi everyone. I am new on this forum and planning to engage into discussions as time allows. My warmest greetings to everyone! :) I was practicing various meditation techniques during last 15 years and discovered/created few unique ones (at least I haven't come across these at other sites or programs) that helped me way more effectively than largely known methods.

I know what are the major problems people experience during meditation, as I went through this too. Many courses offer too complicated methods of dealing with these issues and also create their own "side-effects". The one I have discovered is extremely simple and safe.

I will be happy to share it here on the forum soon.

P.S. ..and no, it is not the one little method which I shared on another thread here where I said I was sitting in front of a big tree in my garden and staring at it immovably long hours and that got me rid of anxiety. It truly helped then but my major discovery came afterwards!...