1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Right state in meditation?

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by susi_gal, Mar 22, 2008.

1. susi_gal

susi_gal Member

Hello all. I have a question on how I am doing during meditation, and would appreciate your feedbacks..

I mostly use breathing or loving-kindness meditation, and there are two types of times when I think I am successfully in the meditative state. One is when I can hear my breathing or my prayer so clearly as if reverbrating in my headphone. The other is when I start feeling as if I'm dozing off... like starting to lose concentration and other thoughts start dominating more, like when you fall asleep.

I thought those were good because I felt good in the chest afterward, but I wonder if the latter is actually good, if I am losing concentration on breath, mantra, or loving-kindness.

In the latter state, am I just dozing off and is it not any good, or IS it kind of a good meditative state? When I get into the state, should I try to bring back my concentration and stick hardly to my breathing, etc., or should I stop concentrating and just enjoy the state?

If anybody knows answer or has any idea, I would greatly appreciate your sharing it...

2. twinkletoes

twinkletoes Member

Hi Susi_gal
    I havn't been meditating for too long ( a couple of weeks ) but reading through bits and pieces within the community there is no right way or wrong way to meditate but don't try too hard just go with the flow. its normal to ahve periods of thought re issues within your life or things that have happened during the course of the day. the best thing to do is briefly acknowledge those thoughts but don't get into an analysis just a cursory recognition is enough. when you have finished your meditation and those thoughts or unsettling issues come back into your mind then thats the time to work through them as you will be calmer and more able to deal with them.
    Thoughts that come to you during meditation are part of a cleansing and clarity process which help us to move forward.
    Hope thats of some help to you :D
    Wishing you much happiness and calm with you meditation.
    Gilli :)