1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

quick question about mantras

Discussion in 'START HERE: Registration & Introductions' started by tdillon, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Edwin

Edwin Member

I try to do it apart from breathing, because it is my goal to be able to meditate without a tool like mantra's, and just be present in the moment all the time.

The way to do this is to only use the mantra at the moment you notice you are allowing yourself to drift away, and to say it only once. Just enough to get back in presence.

But if you like to do it different, by all means, whatever works best for you :)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  2. Bhavya

Bhavya Member

Hi John
    There're many ways to use mantra, with and without being linked to the breath. If my mind is on overload, I begin with deep, mindful breathing, saying (mentally) my mantra once each breath, letting it echo out on the out breath. And I like to rest in the silence between the out and in breath. The rhythm of that is very soothing. Then if it feels right I find myself moving to the way Edwin described. I like to let intuition guide me during all this, doing what feels right. It just flows into what I need somehow and is very enjoyable.

There's no one way. If you're finding your method relaxing you're well on your way. Use what works best for you! :)
    Bhavya :)

3. tmiscool

tmiscool New Member

mantras

I'm also new to TM but recently learnt that my mantra was the name of a Hindu God. As I'd been trying to get closer to the God of Christianity before I went on the TM course, I've now replaced the mantra with an ancient Aramaic phrase.
    TM was working for me pretty well but I have real belief in the Catholic faith and, if I should ask for serenity, then I think it should be from this higher power.
    I wonder whether any members have tried this and can offer any useful tips. Do the mantra's vibrations really matter or does this new, meaningful word only need to roll easily off the tongue?

4. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hi Tmiscool and welcome to the Project Meditation community.

I think, if you take a read through the posts above, you'll find that the general recommendation is to find something that you are personally comfortable with (it sounds or feels right) but that avoids any strong attachment to anything such that it won't bring up memories or ideas about something.

We could discuss the concept of whether there is really a difference between the Christian "God" and the Hindu (Sanatana Dharma) "God", and whether it really matters that the mantra given through TM teachings is the name of a Hindu deity, but I think that's something for another thread as it would deviate away from the discussion of choosing a mantra as intended in the opening post.

Hugs

Giles