1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

quick question about mantras

Discussion in 'START HERE: Registration & Introductions' started by tdillon, Nov 28, 2008.

1. tdillon

tdillon Member

I am new at this and have chosen "shreem" as my mantra. However, I have used shreem when doing meditations for manifesting financial success so when thinking of this word, I immediately think of the things I want to manifest, which is always good, except, am I supposed to be clearing my mind completely for this type of meditation and should I pick a different mantra, one that doesn't mean anything to me. How do you pick a mantra?

2. Balaam

Balaam Member

I have been having the same problem with mantras. i have been trying to decide what to pick but from what i can gather, mantra is more about sound vibration that repairs the cells in the body. it doesnt matter what you say as long as you repeat it and it has a positive rythme and content. some people use omm, om mani padme hum, hail mary full of grace the lord is with thee, etc. i asked a monk who belongs to a zen branch called kwan um zen/korean and am considering using that to create balance, but i do know the idea of mantra is just to concentrate on the sound you are making and allowing it to pass though your body and that there are inner physical and chemical benefits to doing it. i dont think it should be practiced whilst applying to material wants, because that would detract from the healing process wouldnt it? im not sure.

3. Bhavya

Bhavya Member

I think if you've got a mantra which you use for a specific purpose like attracting wealth, then it's best to have another for meditation.

It all depends on why you meditate. What's your goal? If you want to purify the mind in order to reach 'enlightenment' (become one with the infinite where you no longer identify with your mind, where you see the unity of all of life and where you flow with love, compassion and bliss) then you can say it all day and evening. If your mantra represents the infinite, then you eventually become one with the mantra and with the infinite. At some point you'll start to find your mind goes increasingly quiet and you remain more and more in the peace. And of course if you really want to move beyond identification with the ego then you have to surrender it to the infinite so all your actions become offerings to the infinite/GOd/pure consciousness - which is why materialistic actions can easily go with mantra.

Sorry for the long winded response! :eek: The trouble is, this is what I'm most interested in - spirituality that is - so I've been exploring it for a long time and have listened to many teachings on various topics. Don't mean to preach - just to share. And I'm not such a mantra practitioner myself but I've also heard very advanced spiritual teachers that I totally trust say this. ;)

4. bashmaki

bashmaki Member

I began using a mantra from a Kundalini yoga class I took some time ago. It is "Sat Nam", it rhymes with "but mom". It means "truth is my identity". To be honest, I just had to look up it's meaning while writing this post. I use it but do not dwell on it nor it's meaning. To me it matters not.

I think the important thing here is merely to meditate. I read somewhere once that by meditating one becomes the Buddha, one becomes Christ or Krishna. For some reason this has always stuck with me. To be that which I seek is the ultimate gift I can give myself. I do not believe the meaning of any given mantra is all that important in the grand scheme of things.

For me, like Bhavya, it is the spirit of things I am interested in. The rest is just trappings.

So . . . if you are meditating . . . I bow to you in honor of what you are; because of what you do.

gus

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  5. Balaam

Balaam Member

what do you know about korean mantras??? for instance..kwan um zen?

6. bashmaki

bashmaki Member

I know nothing of this mantra. I do know there are a number of schools by the name Kwan Um schools of Zen!

gus

7. scotland01

scotland01 Member

Hey bashmaki

Could seem like a silly question, but with the mantra you say it out loud?
    So with your one Sat Nam how would this work you repeat "but mom" when you breath in and out?
    Thanks

8. Edwin

Edwin Member

Not a silly question at all !

You start aloud, repeat it ever more softly until you are able to repeat the sound of your own voice within you head. Every time you "forget" the sound of your own voice, do the same.

Some religions have quite a lot of focus on Mantra's, but personally I think there is a bit too much attention on words. It is after all a word, nothing more. It might be powerfull, but not as powerfull as they want us to believe.
    But that is purely my opinion, feel free to disagree with me, silently or aloud ;)

9. bashmaki

bashmaki Member

Let me clarify this for you.

"but mom" merely gives an example of the vowel sounds of the Sanskrit mantra
    "sat nam" -------------------------in other words
    (sut nomm)

As Edward has also clarified; you can say your mantra out loud in the beginning until you get the hang of it.

As an aside - - - I read an article from the New England Journal of Medicine about mantra repetition a while back. It in they have actually done studies about mantra repetition in patients recovery. Apparently there is some merit to mantra repetition out loud regardless whether the mantra is hindu, muslim, christian or whatever! Repeating a mantra for a period of time out loud every day is good for your health; so they say!

gus

10. JohnnyAngel59

JohnnyAngel59 Member

I too am totally new to this having only been doing it for the first time last time, so I'm just starting cd3, & I realise however you do it means its right for you I think, but I wondered are there any mantras that can help you with personal healing for health that might help me. I have found in one day I feel happier, I have actually slept well for 9 hours, which considering I suffer quite badly from insomnia so often I stay up all night and doze for an hour or two whenever I feel like it I was so surprised. It's just that my health has deteriated from cycling 10-15 miles daily in 2000 to using a disability scooter as my legs are bad, and diabetic plus overweight, so I'm wondering if this 4 cd course will help with healing. Sorry to go on but not sure about the depth of the mantras
    Thanks for reading
    John

11. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hi John

My own understanding of meditation is that the mantra are merely a tool to assist us in bringing our focus away from our thoughts, emotions, senses etc. allowing us to go deep within ourselves and just observe the state of stillness that is our true self (if we can get that far; it takes practice).

So, personally, I believe the mantra you use should have little or no attachment to anything, i.e. it doesn't bring up any particular thoughts or memories for you, otherwise it will be more difficult to let the thoughts go.

The trick is not to let yourself become too focused on the mantra itself, but to just let it be there, repeating as and how it wants to, with you just observing it and letting anything else go.

As such, I would pick a mantra that has no meaning or even just make up a sound or word yourself that is meaningless, but one that you are comfortable with and repeats nicely to you.

Kind regards

Giles

12. Bhavya

Bhavya Member

Hi John
    Meditation can make a huge difference in restoring health.

Giles has a point about not having a mantra that stimulates thoughts or memories, but I do think that choosing a mantra that resonates with you is really helpful. A mantra that brings positive feelings can help your body/mind relax and find balance and harmony. Everyone's belief system is different but you'll know intuitively what works best for you. :)

Wishing you lots of healing meditations!
    Bhavya

13. Galadraal

Galadraal Member

where can I find a list of mantras?

I was wondering if there was a link with a list of varioius mantras and their meanings. The short list in the FAQ doesn't have any that apeal to me. I've never really used a mantra. I've repeated affirmations (usually silently) like, "Endless Good comes in endless ways", "I believe in infinite abundance and my needs are always met" and "I pay my bills with ease and I always have extra money" that I've learned elswhere and I wonder if something like that would work as a mantra.

Thanks in advance for all your help and advice,
    Joanne

14. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hi Joanne,

The list of mantras in the FAQ appear to be a combination of regular "feel good" words or phrases and some which appear to be from the ones used in Transcendental Meditation. The mantras used in TM are, I believe, the names of Hindu deities, so to any non-Hindu's these will be simply interesting sounding mantras from the East with little true meaning to us, unless of course you want to go and study up on the deities and see what each of them relates to.

As a mantra you can use whatever you are comfortable with, although personally I would say that if you start using affirmation statements you may be preventing yourself from getting as deep in meditation as is possible, due to the statements having pre-conceived ideas to you and drawing thoughts and perhaps memories up. It would be a little more like doing a guided meditation (and there's nothing wrong with that) as opposed to a deep mantra based meditation; the difference being that you will be more likely working on a conscious level of meditation rather that seeking out the stillness of meditation beneath the conscious mind.

Kind regards

Giles

15. Galadraal

Galadraal Member

Thanks Giles, I'm not familiar with using mantras. It's nice to know they provide a deeper level of meditation. Sometimes, I seem to go deep and other times, it seems like I've just dozed off. I always feel I am benefiting though which is the important thing to me :D

I have been using Holosync for over a year and they have you just "let whatever happens, happen" and also many different guided meditations (paraliminals) so the mantra thing is new to me. I appreciate your help and guidance (and others here) in learning new ways to meditate and improve myself.

I've been using "win" for my mantra and I focus on the sound of the word rather than the meaning. I try to just concentrate on breathing deeply and relaxing.

Bright Blessings,
    Joanne

16. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hi Joanne,

That's great as I can hear the sound of "win" making a good mantra.
    Have a go at doing exactly what you're doing, but let the focus be drawn just to the sound of "win" repeating at whatever speed it wants to and let the mind move away from the focus on breathing and relaxing as these are things that will happen naturally.

See how you get on. ;)

Kind regards

Giles

17. Galadraal

Galadraal Member

Thanks Giles

Thanks, Giles. I liked the sound and meaning and also the fact it's a one sylable word that's easy to remember so it doesn't take extra thought, if you know what I mean. I also try to do what you suggest with my focus on the sound.

Thanks again, I really appreciate your help and advice :)
    Joanne

18. WeeHoo

WeeHoo Member

Wacky Mantra

I've been using "Purr" as my mantra, because nothing relaxes me and opens me up to the present moment like being around a purring cat. Plus, one of ours is usually sitting on me, purring, while I meditate.

19. JohnnyAngel59

JohnnyAngel59 Member

Thanks for your advice on my question on mantras. One thing I forgot to ask was I'm doing 'Omm' and saying it to myself as I breathe in and again as I breathe out. Is that the correct way or should I just do it say as I breath in and silent breathing out, or doesn't it matter. I must admit I find it very relaxing indeed
    John

20. scotland01

scotland01 Member

When?

Good question, I was wondering that too?