Question about the Mantras

Discussion in 'START HERE: Registration & Introductions' started by Jaguarzone, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Jaguarzone

Jaguarzone New Member

In the instructions for the free meditations, there's a list of mantras... what do they mean?

here's the list:
    Shirim
    Shiring
    Kirim
    Kiring
    Hirim
    Hiram
    Hiring
    Sham
    Shama

I would just like to know what exactly I'm saying haha...

2. pollyanna

pollyanna Super Moderator

Hi there, you can also use ommmmmmm, peace or just type mantra into google and choose whatever feels comfortable to you.

The mantra itself is not really important - it's just something for you to passively focus on to help you not to focus on your busy thoughts. Hope this helps you. Peace and joy :) :) :)

3. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hi Jaguarzone,

As Pollyanna says, the mantra can be anything you want, although I would personally choose something that does not bring up ideas or thoughts.

As for the list you have shown, without me going off and checking each one specifically, they look like the ones that are given in the teachings of Transcendental Meditation (although that organisation won't admit to having a fixed list because they teach their meditators that the mantra given to them is specifically created for them - not true, there is a list of about 16 and the one selected is based on the age of the person at the time they learn TM). These actual mantra are the names of Hindu (Sanatan Dharma) deities as the teachings of such style of mantra meditation actually come from the Upanisads and Rg Veda (Vedic teachings) upon which Hinduism (and in fact most regular religions) are based.

Hugs

Giles