Problems of the World

Discussion in 'Thought For Today' started by olmate, Apr 22, 2013.

1. olmate

olmate Member

Global media wallpapers our life with the problems of the world in which we are meant to see our own issues reflected.

The danger of this is that we become desensitized and less capable of compassion, real attention and caring for others. Our hearts harden. Or, we become disconnected from our own issues and take flight from reality in a virtual world.

So, the first step to true care is to sit and face ourselves without judgment or comparison. We may feel waves of shame or sadness, grief or anger. These we must accept but we should dismiss the self-indulgent temptations of guilt. Stillness gradually bestows detachment from our problems. It saves us from having to wallow in them, like water-buffalo, in the mud of self-centeredness. Constantly turning over our problems obsessively is exhausting and can be a sign of mental disease. If we see that we are unable to detach from our problems we need to seek care.

But "seeing" is often an important step in seeing in the light of day. Stillness and silence helps shine that light.

Olmate

2. GilesC

GilesC Member

Another good idea is to not read newspapers or watch TV. The only stuff I watch on TV is programmes I choose on the catch-up service, or DVD's. Never watch the news... I just get to hear about stuff at work as hearsay, but never take much notice if I can help it. ;)

Not only does it help reduce the discursive mind, but also gives me more time to do the things I need to do.

Hugs

Giles

3. william.sharkey

william.sharkey Member

I think notice what may be a lack of compassion in myself. I have been meditating for some years now and have come across numerous realizations about myself the way my mind works and such, and yet I notice that when other peoples' problems are in front of me I dont seem to feel very badly for them. For example I dont find any desire to give money to panhandlers and never do. Any thoughts about this?

4. olmate

olmate Member

On this journey, I have noticed a quantum shift over time away from "I". As the "I" hold loosened, the view changed to a much wider landscape.

It is hard to describe, but I find myself more of an observer of the goings on rather than an active participant. It is more from a position of curiosity and wonder on a backdrop of connected oneness that seems to prevail at this point.

There are many things that come to the fore that were not present previously. Letting go (or much reduced attachment to) labels like vocational callings, status, possessions, concern for what other might think, etc., etc.

Funnily enough, I have even noticed the same sorts of drama at times with animals. Have you ever watched the drama of a flock of seagulls?

Anyway, that is some of my experience. But of course we all walk our own paths and have our own experiences.

Olmate