1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Postcard on the way back from the edge

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by Coenrad Morgan, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Edwin

Edwin Member

I like triggering him ;) not that he needs much encouragement in that field :D

Would it seem silly to shout dramatically:

I LOVE YOU ALL !!!

can't shake it so there !

2. Coenrad Morgan

Coenrad Morgan Member

Toyt like a toyger

SSSShhh Edwin….don’t shout…..my head hurts….I know you Dutch Guys are “Toyt like Toygers” and all but my head really hurts….friction really does rub off on you doesn’t it, I think I can touch my skull…..any idea if the skin on your forehead grows back?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m in IT, it can be a soulless industry, we have managed to virtualize everything, even the significant other, it’s the most fun I’ve had in years, but this NLP forehead rubbing stuff REALLY HURTS after a while!!

I’m sticking with LifeFlow, I read an e-mail by Jodie a while back, for a moment I thought she had quoted one of my posts, it just went on, and on, and on, and on….on second glance I realized that it was the research that went into lifeflow, so thanks for the fun with NLP but I’m sticking with LifeFlow and Discover Meditation, its safe, AND YOU DON’T NEED A FIRST AID KIT….unlike your take on NLP….THANKS BUDDY!

Serves me right thought, I should have listened to one of the most incisive minds of the 21st century

“Check it before you wreck it” – Ali G

2000 odd years ago the Buddha said something similar

Thanks Edwin…..I'm programming the meditative hand technique you offered, I'm a little like a computer, sometimes data needs to be punched in.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  3. chris063

chris063 Member

Not silly at all that was exactly my first reaction after reading all those wonderful posts!!

4. Coenrad Morgan

Coenrad Morgan Member

TO YOU - a quote from one of my favourite books

The author of the following; Oriah Mountain Dreamer had the following to say about its creation;

“As the words flowed I recognized a voice that has always been there within me: the voice that passionately seeks life purpose; the voice of the tired heart that longs for real intimacy and deep rest, the voice that asks me to be fully present with it all, the pain and the joy, the beauty and the sorrow, the inner silence and the noise of the world.”

Arent we all here seeking the same through the vehicle of LifeFlow and each other, here in this forum?

The Invitation

It doesn’t interest me what you do for a living.
    I want to know what you ache for
    and if you dare to dream of meeting your heart’s longing.

It doesn’t interest me how old you are.
    I want to know if you will risk looking like a fool
    for love
    for your dream
    for the adventure of being alive.

It doesn’t interest me what planets are squaring your moon...
    I want to know if you have touched the centre of your own sorrow
    if you have been opened by life’s betrayals
    or have become shrivelled and closed
    from fear of further pain.

I want to know if you can sit with pain
    mine or your own
    without moving to hide it
    or fade it
    or fix it.

I want to know if you can be with joy
    mine or your own
    if you can dance with wildness
    and let the ecstasy fill you to the tips of your fingers and toes
    without cautioning us
    to be careful
    to be realistic
    to remember the limitations of being human.

It doesn’t interest me if the story you are telling me
    is true.
    I want to know if you can
    disappoint another
    to be true to yourself.
    If you can bear the accusation of betrayal
    and not betray your own soul.
    If you can be faithless
    and therefore trustworthy.

I want to know if you can see Beauty
    even when it is not pretty
    every day.
    And if you can source your own life
    from its presence.

I want to know if you can live with failure
    yours and mine
    and still stand at the edge of the lake
    and shout to the silver of the full moon,
    Yes.”

It doesn’t interest me
    to know where you live or how much money you have.
    I want to know if you can get up
    after the night of grief and despair
    weary and bruised to the bone
    and do what needs to be done
    to feed the children.

It doesn’t interest me who you know
    or how you came to be here.
    I want to know if you will stand
    in the centre of the fire
    with me
    and not shrink back.

It doesn’t interest me where or what or with whom
    you have studied.
    I want to know what sustains you
    from the inside
    when all else falls away.

I want to know if you can be alone
    with yourself
    and if you truly like the company you keep
    in the empty moments.

Can you answer "the Invitation"..wouldnt you have achieved something worthwhile on your way between here and there if you could, I know I would. If this is where unfolding is leading, wouldnt that be beautiful, wouldnt that be something worth doing before you need to hand in your meat suit?

I WANT TO KNOW........Dont You?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  5. Coenrad Morgan

Coenrad Morgan Member

FROM ALL OF US WITH LOVE TO ALL OF US a quote from another favorite book

The Call - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

I have heard it all my life,
    A voice calling a name I recognized as my own.
    Sometimes it comes as a soft-bellied whisper.
    Sometimes it holds an edge of urgency.
    But always it says: Wake up my love. You are walking asleep.
    There's no safety in that!
    Remember what you are and let this knowing
    take you home to the Beloved with every breath.
    Hold tenderly who you are and let a deeper knowing
    colour the shape of your humanness.
    There is no where to go. What you are looking for is right here.
    Open the fist clenched in wanting and see what you already hold in your hand.
    There is no waiting for something to happen,
    no point in the future to get to.
    All you have ever longed for is here in this moment, right now.
    You are wearing yourself out with all this searching.
    Come home and rest.
    How much longer can you live like this?
    Your hungry spirit is gaunt, your heart stumbles. All this trying.
    Give it up!
    Let yourself be one of the God-mad,
    faithful only to the Beauty you are.
    Let the Lover pull you to your feet and hold you close,
    dancing even when fear urges you to sit this one out.
    Remember- there is one word you are here to say with your whole being.
    When it finds you, give your life to it. Don't be tight-lipped and stingy.
    Spend yourself completely on the saying.
    Be one word in this great love poem we are writing together.

Did you hear it; the call from somewhere deep within, did it wake you, is that why you are here, then stay with us, play with us, learn with us, teach us, meditate with us, unfold with us and by us we mean YOU, what are we without all of us?

"The breeze at dawn has secrets to tell you.
    Don’t go back to sleep.
    You must ask for what you really want.
    Don’t go back to sleep.
    People are going back and forth across the doorsill
    where the two worlds touch.
    The door is round and open.
    Don’t go back to sleep." - Rumi

Yeah, yeah..........the "Jedi Kung-Fu Panda" got to me with that last BIG contribution, but didn't she get to us all - well that's my story copper, and I'm sticking to it?

6. Bhavya

Bhavya Member

That's beautiful Keith. I could feel it all, in my heart
    It's very late and I'm off to bed, but I just felt like telling you that---
    Plus you are a writer and should go for it! It's clearly something you have a great affinity for!
    Wishing you the highest and best
    Bhavya

7. Coenrad Morgan

Coenrad Morgan Member

You should write, you did, you should continue

Hello Keith,

I read every word slowly, could almost see it as if outside the window, your students have been asking, probably for years, now I am asking you, why have you not written a book, you know there's one inside?

There are many "heavy" spiritual books that read like textbooks, because for the most part, they are, then theres the Spiritual Novel such as "The way of the peaceful warrior" by Dan Millman, which reads like any good fiction work but goes way beyond that, the reader learns something, not just "who did it"?

Isnt it on your website that I read about the big music, something about it coming through you......so Keith, why have you not written a book.......isnt it time?

8. Edwin

Edwin Member

Keith, your time is now !

Or to rephrase that: Keith, it's time !

Of course you are free to do it inhere, but I think it is time for you to sit down and write for yourself.
    I think if you provide us with your "chapter plan", knowing what you are going to write about for every next chapter, we all will dig deep and try to find authentic examples from our lives to help you enliven your book.

You have a lot to talk about, that is clear, and now is the time to start writing it.

You have my full support, and if you may encounter writers block, we can easily lift it for you by joining in presence. Can't wait to buy it :)

9. Coenrad Morgan

Coenrad Morgan Member

Depression

Edwin, I don’t know much, but I do know this. An ever increasing number of people from all walks of life, faiths, social circumstances, genders are either depressed often, or clinically depressed as an outflow of life style and the modern equivalent of the Saber Tooth cat, anxiety. Sadly, many of our young are standing in Queue “A” handing in their meat suits long before their time, trying to explain the bullet hole, slashed wrists or sleeping pills.

Up North from here, a days drive or so, there is a collapsed cave, an archeological dig site known as “the cradle of mankind”, where “Mrs Ples” was found, at least her skull was, and along with this skull and others, evidence of predation, a time when we where not at the top of the food chain. A cat of that size would demote a male African Lion to “here kitty, kitty" status, we had one advantage, literally a God send, the frontal lobe, that brain construct that separates us from “raw” primates (although we do still go Ape from time to time watching the Superbowl or European Cup final and around the ladies…..well I’ve heard about the last statement, you know, from a friend, can’t speak from personal experience) The frontal lobe, our reasoning faculty, that bulge in Barbie’s forehead (yup, check it out for yourself, she’s blond but bright…not that I have a Barbie, just heard…..you know, from a friend), meant the difference between life and death.

Some time has gone past and the frontal lobe has gone from the tool of choice to as Eckhart Tolle puts it, “ the possessing entity”, its gone from part of me to “ME”. Its function is associated with reasoning, planning, parts of speech, movement, emotions, and problem solving….planning, never here always some other time, you cant plan for right now, reasoning based on past experience, never now, always back then, emotions running amok torn between a past that just wont go away and a future that never comes. Where so proud of it that we rate ourselves by our IQ, females of the species seek it out in their potential mates….until the 6ft 9, dark haired knuckle dragging bruiser rides in on his white Porsche, then its just you and me Edwin, “want another beer?”…Darn!...your married, guess that leaves just me……It needs to get it’s teeth into something, it was built to analyze, make judgments and determine probable outcomes (Mines still learning to get that right, still getting a lot of pepper spray, fortunately I respect “no” means no and pepper spray I take it means “hell no!” ).

In I.T terms, its your front end processor, collects inbound data and signals, fetches data from the database (the past), runs that by your operating system, your belief system – your concept of the world and how it ties together, then it determines probable outcomes from the operating systems output and selects an impulse to prompt you to action, in the case of stress that means the adrenal glands get rev'ed, fight or flight, Cortosol and a host of other performance enhancing hormones that get you ready to make that Saber Tooth eat dust, your heart races, your pupils go to pin prick size to improve focus, your nostrils flare, your arteries dilate, all because of an e-mail you have to get sent and your late for the morning meeting…..

Added to this complication, just like any computer, you have a BIOS, basic input output system, its kicks in when you wake up, before your Fontal lobe can boot-up, it controls your instincts, called “the reptilian or old brain”, its why that friend of mine can be how drowsy but cant resist thumbing through a Playboy by his bedside…..(you know, for the articles, no really, their good….or so he tells me.) All of this occurs automatically, unconsciously, between the two, even while your asleep.

But here’s the clincher, the good old fashioned lemon, the yellow waxy skin,if you put your nose to it, you cant mistake the smell, you cut it in two, the lighter yellow inside reveals itself, you lift it to your mouth and take a BIG bite, the sour juices spray into your mouth……most people would have experienced a biological reaction, immediate salivation, alkali saliva secreted immediately to counter the acidic lemon juice, all because of something you read, as useful as this frontal lobe may be, it cant tell the difference between an imagined event or a real one, it always does the same thing, over and over and over again, it reacts, and so we live, never proactively, at least not the vast majority of us.

It collects, analyses, reacts, and so it is with everything, your stuck reacting, and its getting you down, its aging you, it re-affirms “the story” because it just happened again……did it really, did you just take a bite out of that sour thing called “your life”….was it even real or is that just what you thought was happening?

The Saber Toothed cat is long gone in nature ( as is the Saber toothed Dog, think about it, as a stone age animal, what do you think Frisbee’s where made out of….see, no wonder there weren’t any Sabre toothed dogs, not for long anyway…..makes sense doesn’t it…glad I could help, I know its been eating at you), but we are still built to defend against it and other threats…real or imagined…the Saber Tooth is now in your head, the modern version kills slowly...isn’t it time we “evolved” past unconsciousness to consciousness, isn’t it time to use both hemisphere’s of the brain simultaneously instead of selectively based on our activities being creative or calculated, isn’t it time to enlist the “higher mind”, the observer, the “knower” beyond the frontal lobes “thinker”, how much more pepper spray can a man take?

Project Meditation is that “evolution” for me, I sincerely trust it is or will be for you.

When will enough be enough, when will you be able to see things as they really are and not just how you think they are from our commonly limited perception, I don’t know when, but I know how…..going to put my headphones on and listen to LifeFlow 10, it really helps me get through.

10. bashmaki

bashmaki Member

This is a powerful thread.
    Working 12 hours a day and traveling home on weekends 250 miles; I have a tough time keeping up with it. I was just reading a bit of it this morning. It is all truly inspiring. I feel blessed to be a part of all this.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this.

gus

11. Coenrad Morgan

Coenrad Morgan Member

Hello Gus

I have wondered where you have been, and am pleased that your back to "play with us, learn with us, teach us"......please take care of yourself and travel safe, come back, I've seen what you contribute in many threads.....your voice would more than add to whats going on here.

12. Edwin

Edwin Member

The Western world is in serious trouble.

The way our society was tought to live, turns out to work only on the short term. Because of the re-build after world war II, because society had to reboot so to speak, certain things were put off for later, of which the bill is being presented to today's society... And we are looking the other way, refusing to pay the price.

To name one:
    In the 60s American economy was growing so fast that it became impossible to back up all the Dollars value by storing Gold. A Economic genius came up with the idea to trade Oil, and to back up money's worth by the oilprice.
    -todays problem:
    Oil runs out !
    There was no other solution but a temporary solution to the Dollar problem, and for more than 40 years, that was no problem. Now it is !

In 1890, a patriot living in Africa was commented on his hunting behaviour, he would shoot hundreds of animals a week for fun alone.
    His reaction : " I don't understand what all the fuss is about, there is such an extreme abundance of animals in Africa, they will never grow out "

All the current problems, economic and environmentally, are a direct result of the way the Western world thinks.
    Every now and then, a movie comes out presenting a doom scenario, like climatic shifts ( Day after tomorrow ) or a virus, or whatever.

The truth of the matter is, these moments will never come, they are, like our expectations of the future, just fantasy.
    Mankind will change direction when needed, but only then, when then becomes Now.

Over the years to come, there will come a few of these turning points.

Some might be drastic, but mankind, one of the biggest experiments in the Universe, is being pushed towards A New World, and will in time get there.
    There is no doubt about this in my mind.

I have decided to start living as if this day is today.
    I am trying to conserve energy ( this is why I go to work on my bike, every day, on a 20 minutes bike ride, no matter what the weather is ) and turn off all energy eating appliences like stand-by modes on tv/computer/stereo and powerconverters when I am not using them.

But, this is not my main cause.
    My main cause is to shift my consiousness to the New World, to think as if we are allready there, and are now living in a peacefull world without financial troubles, without war, without hunger, and to raise consiousness in every other person I meet by presence alone.

When the Western world is without it's insane "hunger" for more, bigger, better, our energy consumption will go down anyway. The environment won't be polluted because people will be concious all the time, with everything they do.

A Utopia for some, reality for me. The only way to get there, is to be who I am today, with everybody I meet. This is everybody's task I think. Let your divine inner self shine through to other people. Become the light instead of searching for it !

It is easyer to be than to find !

Together, we can change the world, and bring it here Now

13. Coenrad Morgan

Coenrad Morgan Member

Depression 2 - self image

It’s not only anxiety that leads us to the very edge where Jodie and Michael found me, it’s also self loathing, it’s that gnawing feeling that your not good enough, your not tall enough, your not smart enough, your never enough, your not, your not, your not.

We live in a competitive environment, many of us, less resources, less food, less money. The mass media will tell a young woman that she needs to be blond, look like someone the UN Food Aid Agency needs to find and save, just skin and bones. She needs to have long legs up to her armpits, perfect skin, full lips, fuller breasts, why, because if she thinks she’s okay (which she is), why would she buy the products on offer?

As for the young woman, she learns to look in the mirror and compare herself to the pictures in a magazine, pictures of woman who have spent hours in make-up, then onto hair, then photographed under perfect lighting from just the right angle, with the photographers guidance, she has all day to make that perfect impression, the young woman and the rest of us need to deal with the 30 seconds it takes for people to make up their minds about us. She learns to feel inadequate, as a result she tries to fit (she’s a herd animal – Homosapien) in by giving more than she should, being everything to everybody, but then the next magazine is on offer with a “more beautiful” woman on the cover. She believes in her inadequacy, never learns the truth of who, or what she is and can be, she settles for the nothing she is worth, mixes with people who support and enforce that belief, believing that she is lucky to have friends. Over time, through the negative enforcement of others, the prophecy fulfills itself, she believes she’s invisible, no one would notice if she where gone, if not for the child or children, she would give up, even consider standing in queue “A”, waiting to hand in her meat suit before her time.

Then add the stress and strain of daily living as in the preceding post, your struggling to cope , that must mean you don’t have what it takes, your weak, your pathetic, you hate your job, you hate yourself and as a result you hate your life, or as you would say to save face, there’s room for improvement, or something like that. But you must get through, there are young ones reading magazines at home to feed, life is all about others, as its through others that you feel validated, need validation. And when you don’t get it, you feel unloved, who could love me, why would they, look at me!

I write this because I met a woman a couple of days ago, one of her first responses was to make excuses for her skew nose and teeth, blotchy skin, having known her for a while, I wasn’t thinking that, it had occurred to me that she was authentically beautiful, the sort of beauty that doesn’t need perfect lighting or make up, at age 80 or 104, it will be as it is now, her beauty will never age, as for the meat suit, I liked it a lot, but given my experience with pepper spray, I didn’t elaborate. I just couldn’t understand why she couldn’t see what I was seeing, then it occurred to me, how do I feel about myself.

Theres an Evanescence song that not long ago was a prayer from the bottom of my heart

"Bring Me To Life"
    (feat. Paul McCoy)

how can you see into my eyes like open doors
    leading you down into my core
    where I’ve become so numb without a soul my spirit sleeping somewhere cold
    until you find it there and lead it back home

(Wake me up)
    Wake me up inside
    (I can’t wake up)
    Wake me up inside
    (Save me)
    call my name and save me from the dark
    (Wake me up)
    bid my blood to run
    (I can’t wake up)
    before I come undone
    (Save me)
    save me from the nothing I’ve become

Male or female the structure of how the “self loathing” belief system gets implanted is much the same , I just don’t want fuller lips or breasts, but the pressures and negative feedback we internalize is based on the same process of comparison to others, from and by others.

What about you, do you really know who you are, having spent so many years trying to be what “they” wanted? Can you answer Oriah Mountain Dreamer’s “Invitation” do you like the company you keep in the quiet moments?

What if in the silence of your mind, in the time you set aside for you, a voice said:

“I believe that you’re great, that there’s something magnificent about you. Regardless of what has happened to you in your life, regardless of how young or how old you think you might be, the moment you begin to think properly, this something that is within you, this power within you that’s greater than the world, it will begin to emerge.”

Would you believe it, I do, in and out of your meat suit, you have always been more than enough, you embody the spark of it all.

Did you read Oriah’s “The call”, a couple of posts back, how long will you wait to heed it?

And as for me, I’m here, coming back to life, a life where maybe for the first time, I will live it as me. Thank you Michael McKenzie for being the answer to that prayer through this forum and Discover Meditation / LifeFlow.

14. Coenrad Morgan

Coenrad Morgan Member

Edwin - you rock!

I'm not going to add to that, I cant, its as you say, but I will add that we may live in peace but can have live footage of war beamed into our homes, a video camera on a bomb as it decends onto yet another target, we have learned to become desensitised to the extent where we wont watch a "chick flick", got have action, then home to the game consul to blast the bad guys.

Your right Edwin, we need to as Ghandi said " be the change you want to see in the world", not talk about it, be it.

Time to stop listening to the "you" in the head and pay more attention to the "you" in the heart, not so?

At least here in this forum, the worlds coming together and rapidly becoming a better place, thanks to you and the efforts of others.

15. Edwin

Edwin Member

I have seen a lot of posts ( especially in the " LOA " forums ) about people and their reaction to the news.

There are even people that refuse to watch the news.

I personally think denial is not the answer. Bad news is the only news they say, but I think it is important to know that on the other side of the world a brother or sister is suffering. Not to enhance the ego through feeding it suffering, but to know where to send my prayers.

I realised about 2 months ago that you can't remove the ego by denying it bad news from the outside.
    Denial in itself feeds the ego, it keeps you from the real truth that everything happens in the Now.

If you stand in the middle of Life, and know and notice your reaction to the news and the indoctrination by TV and magazines, you learn to watch behind the ego, even behind the ego of those bringing you the message.

By the time you see that, you learn that it can't make you depressed anymore, because your ego becomes powerless.

You start to feel... almost sorry for the misguided people doing this to their fellow brother and sister, and in time ,you will outgrow even that when you realise that feeling sorry like this is a backdoor for your ego again.

You might think that when you loose this ego-based connection to the world, you become numb, without compassion.
    But now you see the world with the compassion based on true unconditional real LOVE, and feel like a parent who notices one of their children doing something bad. You know they should be told to stop, but on the other hand you love them and that will never change, no matter how bad they behave.

When our brothers and sisters are in war, we know they should be corrected in time before they do something really bad, but we will love them just the same.

Brings new meaning to His words:

You have heard that it was said, "Love your neighbor and hate your enemy."
    But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you (Matthew 5:43-44).

So, that is what I am doing.

I invite you into this reality Coenrad :) Join me !

16. Coenrad Morgan

Coenrad Morgan Member

Gladly - Been going that way for a while now

I gave my Band of Brothers DVD set away, I wasn't going to entertain myself with negative images anymore, nor was I going to encourage through consumerism, the manufacture of negative entertainment. I do remember one interview though, as tough as those guys where, as viscious as combat may have been, deep in their old age, the wisdom of the years shone through, one of the paratroopers interviewed stated that given other circumstances, he and those he was fighting could have been friends, maybe go fishing together, but there they where shooting at one another because they had to.

As with you, I watch the news, watch the bomb camera image and all that goes through my mind is, who's brother, son, father was that blur running for cover before the explosion, you may have no choice to fight, but you have the choice to hate.

I want to change, its a personal choice, if enough of us work on ourselves, make conscious choices, things will improve, maybe not Utopia but better.

17. Montana Keith

Montana Keith Member

Dear Edwin & Coenrad,
    Just wanted to let you know that I am sitting here reading your posts this morning. Your words resonate with me. In ways you may not realize, reading your thoughts here is helping me to feel less alone. Your posts are loosening up things in me and enhancing my meditation practice. It seems like in many ways I am experiencing a depth of friendship and authentic dialogue here in this forum that I've been longing for for years.

As I mentioned in earlier posts, I just discovered this whole "forum/blogging" thing only a few months ago. I'm pretty new to all of this so I'm still learning. I wish both of you the best of things this day. --Keith :)

18. Coenrad Morgan

Coenrad Morgan Member

You havent been yourself lately, are you okay?

Hey Keith,

You have had me worried all day, I don’t understand why you removed your contribution but I respect that you have your reasons, I have often considered going and deleting all my posts, like you, this is my first time doing this sort of thing, its often very uncomfortable, your “naked” before “n” number of people.

What ever your reason is, I hope that you will write, you have a passion, you cannot keep fighting it, it wants to come through you to others. You often mention that you are strongly routed in the Christian tradition but have developed a new perspective that others have not always been supportive of, what ever is behind your views, its strong enough to keep your unfolding going. Given your strong roots in the tradition, you are able to write from a common framework shared by both you and your target audience, as you can relate to them and through that, them to you, you are in a strong position to relate to them through your writting what it is that burns so strongly in you.

You are in the right place, you work for an Institution of Higher Education, many you work with have published, thus can guide you through the process, all that remains is for you to decide when is the right time for you.

19. Edwin

Edwin Member

He wait a minute, Keith, where is that wonderfull story !

Please post it back, in fact, do it in a seperate thread !
    Please don't let our rambling discourage you, your writing is increadible and should be encouraged !

Or maybe you have some copyright thing going on, I would respect that of course. But please don't be let down by something we might have said to put you off, you are a wonderfull writer !

20. chris063

chris063 Member

And I've been away for the day, Keith what did I miss? I love reading your awesome posts and listening to the fuss these guys are making I'm really wondering what I missed now! :)