1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Poll about LOA

Discussion in 'The Law Of Attraction' started by Space Fox Now With Lasers, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Space Fox Now With Lasers

Space Fox Now With Lasers Member

I am the only one here who thinks that the law of attraction is a bunch of bologna? I'm not trying to insult anyone, I'm am just wondering if I am alone here.

It just doesn't make sense to me. I just feel like it's a waste of my time to sit around visualizing how I want my life to be. I think if Mother Theresa were to read "The Secret", she would say, "This seems like a very self centered philosophy."

I feel that true satisfaction comes from helping other people, not being constantly concerned about ourselves. That's why I want to be a teacher. I know I'll never live in a big house or have a sports car on a teacher's salary, but I'll be helping people everyday.

Once again, I am not trying to insult anyone here. However, I would like to debate this topic with the members of this forum, because LOA seems to be pretty popular here.

2. olmate

olmate Member

Sounds like to me you have just created your vision. Don't be surpirsed if that is what you get.

Nothing but the best.

Olmate

3. GilesC

GilesC Member

Yes, "The Secret" is a very self centred and materialistic way of looking at the law of attraction, however it's certainly not the bible of LoA and the LoA is certainly no secret as it's been around for a very long time, waaaaaay before The Secret came along. The book that is referred to in The Secret, whilst not being named in the film or book, is actually a book called The Master Key System, by Charles F Haanel. You can either try and get hold of an old copy or you can still get it in print now, although it contains a copy of the old text and a reworked version to bring it into modern language and context. It was originally intended as a week by week course and each weeks material creates a chapter in the book. IMO, it's better to learn about the LoA from that book rather than the hyped up money making and idealised versions such as The Secret.

Before you can help others, you must be able to help yourself. If you seek satisfaction you are still wanting something for yourself. True happiness will arise if you simply act in the moment to do what is best without desiring recognition of your actions for yourself. Such desire for recognition is a trick of the ego.

We are all teachers, but it is good to want to share, so you go for it and you'll do it. :)

A somewhat self limiting belief. There is no reason a teacher cannot progress and earn enough to have what they want, just as any other job in life.

No insults taken. :rolleyes: We love to discuss and learn.

Hugs

Giles

4. Marina_J

Marina_J Member

I am new for this forum so please describe LOA in brief Thanks! & Regards.

5. Grey

Grey Member

others can probably explain this better than me but here is how i interpret loa in short. like attracts like. everything that exists does so as some form of vibration. people and thoughts and feelings and circumstances and trees and clouds and stars are all vibrations. vibrations of light. vibrations of sound. vibrations of thought. vibrations of whatever. loa is the principle that if we put out a certain kind of vibration in our life and since like attracts like then things with a similar vibration will be attracted to us and come our way. we encourage things to come into our lives by consciously sending out vibrations into the universe that will match the sorts of things we desire to come into our life. maybe that is oversimplified but that is how i see it.

6. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hi Marina and welcome to the Project Meditation community.

The way I see the LoA is a little how Gary Craig (the founder of Emotional Freedom Techniques) described it in one of his videos "The palace of possibilities" and this is my description...

In a simplistic sense, when we take an interest in something, it becomes more noticable to us. I had this situation in the past where we went down to the car showroom to look for a new car. We found one we liked (and could afford :D) and sat down with the salesman to order it. He pulled out the range of colours we could have and we decided on one we liked which seemed, at the time, to be quite a new unique colour and we wanted something a little different, and one we hadn't seen on the roads. No sooner had we ordered and left the showroom to go home, we spotted numerous cars of the same make in the colour we had chosen, but we could have sworn that we hadn't seen any before. What had happened is that we had brought our mind into a state where it now had an interest in this particular thing, so it therefore appeared to manifest before us.

The way this works is that our physical senses detect thousands of things going on around us all the time, but our conscious mind cannot possibly comprehend and process all of those things e.g. your reading this at the moment and whilst the nerves in your feet are sensing the floor (assuming you have your feet on the floor), you weren't consciously aware of that sensation until I mentioned it here. So, because we can't consciously process everything our senses are taking in, our unconscious mind filters out a great majority of it and just brings things up into our conscious that we are currently interested in. This is our "focus".

So, with the law of attraction, what you do is use a sort of positive affirmation or visualisation that gives an image or description of the situation or thing that you want, but you visualise/affirmate it as if it is there in the present moment and you already have that thing (because the unconscious mind has no concept of time, so something in the future is not something it's interested in in the present). Spending a little time with this thing in mind or repeating the affirmation regularly, sort of instructs the unconscious mind that this is something of interest to you in the present moment and, just like us seeing all those cars on our way back from the showroom, your unconscious mind will bring to the conscious mind anything the senses/awareness picks up that would fit in with that thing/situation you want. It won't actually give things to you, but it will allow your conscious mind to become aware of things (or I prefer to call them 'opportunities') that could assist you in reaching your desired goal. As long as you're willing to pick up on those opportunities and act you can more easily bring about your goal, whereas before you would have missed those opportunities.

Many people fail with the LoA or "try" it and don't believe it works, because they have only been given a simplistic concept of what to do and not really instructed in the need to act on the opportunities that arise. They are often misguided into thinking that it's some sort of magic wish and the next day the postman will knock on the door and just deliver it.

One important other factor to remember is that when you create your desired goal as a visualisation or affirmation, it works better if you make it realistic and something that you can believe is possible. e.g. creating a visualisation that you'll be running a multi million dollar company by the end of the week when you're currently unemployed would obviously be ridiculour, but a visualisation of yourself running a very profitable company within a couple of years doing something you already enjoy is far more achievable and likely to present opportunities to lead you there.

I hope that makes sense.

Hugs

Giles

7. Lyn Lyn

Lyn Lyn Member

Loa

I have found with the teachings of the secret is if helps you to focus on what is important to you. I know I have a tendency to think of others first, too much, and in that process forget about myself. If you are not happy and if you do not feel good about what you are doing or why you are doing it you are not being successful. I was doing for others out of obligation because of what I was taught in the past and resenting it. I now have changed that belief and do for others because I want to0, not because I have to.

We all come from different places in our past and different belief systems which can marr the true person we really are. I know that I cannot help someone fully until I know who I really am and what I really believe and I should not believe something just because someone said so.

The secret has been good to me but, when they tell you things will come to you fast it is true, and the things that you have been thinking of negatively will come as fast as the postive. I was surprised greatly by this last Friday and learned carefully how you can shift your day with gratitude, appreciation and thankfulness.:)

8. aussie

aussie Member

In a nutshell, As a man thinketh so is he. Awesome book :D

9. medimind

medimind New Member

the LOA sounds like bologna only because people dont understand it.

understanding creates success.

LOA is simply about hyper positive thinking and extremely good feelings inside, coupled with goal orientation

10. AndySamuels

AndySamuels Member

LOA Rocks

"the greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind." William James (1842-1910)

You will never know what great things you can do until you try. Instead of stumbling around lost in the woods, I find the Law of Attraction gives you direction and understanding - the process is free, has been trialed with great success through the ages - let history repeat itself, over and over again, I say.

cheers
    AndySamuels :D

11. Kauil

Kauil Member

"when they tell you things will come to you fast it is true, and the things that you have been thinking of negatively will come as fast as the postive."

Indeed.

DON'T THINK OF A PINK ELEPHANT.

What are you thinking of? A pink elephant. The mind has no way of envisioning the non-being of something. Nothingness is just another concept. True non-being is void of concepts, ideas, thought, and so cannot exist on thought-level. Makes sense to me.

I would assume thinking thoughts like "I don't want to be sad/depressed" isn't as effective as "I want to be happy" because the mind has no true way of understanding "not sad". It's like "blabla sad" :D

Anyways, what I've read of the Law of Attraction makes sense, nothing religious/spiritual there, really, just some very testable logic, as GilesC pointed out. But good to see people talking about this :)

12. MindMogul

MindMogul Member

Hello Space Fox..., this is actually my first post, so take it easy on me (haha!)
    I am relatively familiar with the LOA and how it works, as I have been studying the 'real' principle of the matter for about 7 years now. I quote real because...the LOA is real for me anyways. You are right on when you speak of 'true satifaction comes from helping other people...' I can think of the times in my life when I was helping someone or even teaching someone to do something, and I felt very fulfilled in that moment.

However, I will have to disagree with you on how you are portraying the LOA, in that, it seems that you are saying that people that are trying to gain more for themselves are, quote: 'constantly concerned about ourselves." Think about it - the more you have, the more you can give whether that is knowledge and wisdom or money and influence from successes in life. The people I know who have incorporated the LOA in their lives on a conscious basis are doing just this.

13. GilesC

GilesC Member

At the first level, yes. Take it a level further and you would not only be failing to bring about happiness, but you would intensifying the focus on "sad/depressed", thus making your mind consider those things more and more. i.e. you are actually attaching to the negative things rather than the postive, and in a sense, seeking to gain more of those negative things. Hence why people experiencing depression often end up in a downward spiral.

14. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Great thread. The Laws of the Universe are constantly working, just as we are constantly thinking and focusing on something. Whether we choose or not, this continues and never ceases. We are always choosing something, the question is, what are we choosing? Fear, worries, avoiding extra work, contributing, making a difference, going the extra mile?

It seems that it's human nature to lean to the negative :( We rarely doubt that anything is so bad to be true, yet we quite often doubt how good or capable we are.

We have the power to choose our own destiny or let it be chosen for us by random thoughts and reactions. Here's to great choices, peace and joy :) :) :)

15. GilesC

GilesC Member

Indeed this true.
    Our brain/mind knows (or certainly believes) that there is far more to be lost from ignoring something negative, than there is to be gained from focusing on something positive.

i.e. You could win £1,000 (or dollars if you like :D) and this would be a nice thing, but the joy from this gain would be short lived. However to lose £1,000 is something the mind would find devastating and worry about for a long time to come.

This is why the mind reacts more quickly and picks up on more negative things than it does with positive things.

16. Uplift

Uplift Guest

Focus

Gidday, I believe that western culture in particular has learned to focus on negativity, rather than negativity actually being an innate human trait. Initially as babies we automatically seek pleasure, ie milk, warmth, mother, father etc. Soon this begins to encroach on western lifestyle, and we learn about the experience of pain (negativity), more than we experience pleaure. Some cultures are entirely different. For instance, in Traditional Bali, babies were never put down for years. In some cultures babies, or people, are (mainly were, as we have imposed our values on most) more valued than profit or output. Our culture, in summing people up, asks first, 'What do you do? What's your job?' Or, 'How much do you make (pay...earning)?' And so on. We are taught to value profit and things most about people. So, we learn to keep working and producing, although our instinct says rest, talk, play, interact, eat, go to the toilet etc.

When I had kids it became even more obvious that our schooling is all about overuling instinct. Kids naturally want to move. Every fibre of their being says move, play, talk, explore, create, yet they are forced to sit, stand still, be quiet, don't go off exploring. This is painfull to children. They learn to focus on pain, negativity and the habit forms. Valuing pleasure, trusting instinct, self awareness, is not valued. Its a catch 22, our very nature is the tool used to nullify itself (like the use of the mind in meditation). Children naturally seek pleasure, and try to avoid the pain of punishment parents and schools rely on for control. So, negativity becomes a powerfull, dominant, shaping element of focus.

'Mum, can I play?'
    'No, I'm busy, go and play X Box'.

'Mr X, I'm tired.'
    'Finish your work, or you'll get detention'

I think negativitity is a learned trait the media loves to exploit.

Maybe its what all the Saints and Gurus and Teachers mean when they say that we must be unmade, and remade in God's image. Thankfully its possible to recondition and reactivate our love of pleasure and focus on positivity.

However, for people who have been conditioned from children to lose contact with their inner wisdom, the issue then becomes, what is pleasure? For instance, is snorting cocain pleasure? Inner wisdom says no, it actually causes much pain.

Relating all this to LOA, I have learned yes, we can have anything we can dream of. There need'nt be any guilt or doubt or worry. All we have to do is ask, and the more the better (at the risk of seeming a religious zealot), then leave the details to God... the totally unlimited Oneness, the best for all, and things beyond human comprehension will unfold.

So, in my experience, succesful LOA is a two fold focus. The most important being Oneness, which loves all equally. Automatically guilt, worry, doubt is gone. Then focus on the goal is easy, whole being and whole hearted. Amasing things can unfold. Its the fun of surprises. How much we ask and dream is how much we focus. How serious we are. And as far as the Oneness bit, sincerity, focus rules, you can't fool yourself.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2011
  17. stefanabovetheview

stefanabovetheview Member

Amazing thread! Just reading this for a couple of minutes ive learnt alot!
    So keep discussing and debating people!:p
    GilesC you wrote a great post on law of attraction and it made me understand a lot!

Let me know if im right at this, because im not completely sure if i know what LAO actually is:
    Law of attraction- If i think ''I own porche'', my subconcious mind will believe i have a porche, therefore expand my ability to get the porche??
    gaah now im confused!

18. GilesC

GilesC Member

Thank you

That's pretty much it. ;) As long as what you state is reasonable then your subconscious will bring things to your awareness that are potentially useful in achieving that "present" state of belief (you don't actually have to believe it, the unconscious doesn't tend to know that, but it helps if you do).

Hugs

Giles

19. stefanabovetheview

stefanabovetheview Member

Ya I finally realize what it is now:)
    And for that i hug you back, haha.

20. Franz

Franz Member

Hello everyone. Its been about a year since I posted on here but this topic caught my attention. Instead if telling you what I think of LOA I will just share facts about what I have experienced. You can interpret how you want but here is my story...

After reading "The Secret" and watching the movie I was so motivated to start bringing my dreams to reality. I would visualize for 15-20 minutes everyday diligently and not miss a day. I took everything to heart that they said in the movie and made a strict routine of thinking positive, visualizing and knowing everything would come true. I noticed small things began to manifest but didn't see the big things that I wished for. I saw some pretty cool things happen within 6 months but nothing that would shock me like winning the lottery or anything of that nature. I practiced the Law of Attraction with so much effort that it began to be a chore.

Then I went about 2 months without seeing anything. I started to get discouraged and eventually stopped continuously thinking of if I was doing everything right and just kind of relaxed and almost forgot about it. After several months of trying to be positive and visualizing, I started to forget about my daily routine. Even though I was not putting as much effort into how to apply "The Secret" I picked up some habits and continued to do them without even trying. On the way to work each day I would picture something in my mind that I wanted. At my desk at work I daydreamed about how my life would be. I began to keep my mind on things that I liked or wanted and kept my mind there all the time. Lifeflow and meditation in general kept my mind from long bouts of negative thinking and I became more relaxed about everything.

I remember being on a plane with my girlfriend looking out the window as we flew to Cancun for a vacation and remember saying to myself "wait a minute, I remember picturing this in my mind. That's funny."

I am a DJ and one of the things I wished to attract was making more money djing at parties and clubs and various events. I received a call from someone I havent spoken to in almost a year. He said he had something lined up for me. I earned $1,400 that month just from djing.

I wanted to earn $100,000/year. I imagined what I would do if I made this much. In 2009, I made $51,000. I am now making $85,000 a year. A $35,000 increase in 1 year is pretty significant. Part of this $85,000/year comes from a job I have djing every Friday and Saturday night which brings me $1,500 to $1,800/mo.

I also imagined what I would do with $100,000/yr. I pictured taking my niece and nephews on a snowboarding trip, vacationing, giving my parents money, buying all sorts of new dj equipement.

I took my niece and nephews to Mammoth Mountain Resort.
    I went to Cancun with my girlfriend which was an amazing trip.
    I have so much money to give my parents and still have some left over.
    All my dj set is up to date with the latest most up to date equipment.

Also, along with my great luck there are also things happening that I did not ask for but I have received. I am being promoted to a supervisor at my current job (JPMorgan, Chase). My doctor says my health is close to perfect.

I remember seeing a video of a DJ on youtube playing at a venue that I really wanted to play at. 3 months later I received a call from a business partner letting me know where our next gig was going to be...the El Rey Theatre in Los Angeles. The same venue I imagined.

This is just my story and it has only started to unfold. I began practicing the LOA in June 09' when i turned 30. For me specifically visualizing everyday about a specific thing makes me more anxious about it. It has to be casual visualizing before I sleep or daydreaming throughout the day for it to be effective. From time to time I will listen to creative flow and imagine things I would like to manifest. I guess when I do it this way I don't have any attachment to any of it. Feels kind of like make believe when you are younger. Anyhow, this is just my story. Believe what it is you want to believe. I'm sure whatever it is you choose to believe will ultimately be your reality.