1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Picking a manta

Discussion in 'START HERE: Registration & Introductions' started by Bonski, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Bonski

Bonski Member

Picking a mantra

I am very new and am trying meditation for the first time. My question is about the mantra. Should the mantra you pick be easy to say, something that you just like saying or should it have some sort of significance? Also can you switch mantras everything you meditate?
    Thanks
    Bonnie

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  2. osamipo

osamipo Member

Hi Bonnie and welcome,

Mantra you use should be easy to say (or to think :))
    Have you downloaded free Discover Meditation from this website? With it, you will receive a paper with brief instructions and about a dozen of mantras to choose from. You can, of course, choose on your own or even make your mantra.

Preferably, mantra should be meaningless. It shoud not make any associations.

When you are choosing your mantra make sure it feels soothing. Experiment a bit. Try a few for couple a days and when you find one that "clicks" stick with it.

You could change mantra from time to time, but i strongly suggest that if you do to keep each at least two months or so.

Joy,
    Alex

3. Edwin

Edwin Member

In addition to Osamipo's excellent post, Michael Mackenzie recommends that you stick to your mantra for at least 2 weeks before switching it ( if you want to ) but I wouldn't recommend mantrahopping ( Yay I made a new word !!! :D)

4. Panthau

Panthau Member

LOL i had to lough when i read the topic... you know what a manta is? :)

Sorry 4 offtopic :p

5. GilesC

GilesC Member

6. Bonski

Bonski Member

Thanks for your replies. I didn't even realize that I typed manta. :D I think I will go back and fix that, just in case someone has the same question.

Alex: So it is not so much that I am having a conscious thought, it is more like I have no associations which invoke a thought? I am currently using "In Peace" because that makes me feel peaceful and able to center myself. I think if I picked a couple of the first ones I would get hung up on "what's that mean"
    I am doing the Discover Meditation course. I think I will get to track 4 later tonight. I re did track 3 when I got home from work.
    So far I am feeling calm and satisfied with my meditating. (Did twice yesterday and once today).

Edwin: I think your new word is great "mantrahopping"

If you think of anything else that can be of help to a newbie, please let me know.
    Peace
    Bonnie

7. Kalki_Maitreya

Kalki_Maitreya Member

A Mantra is a word or any sound you use to meditate

8. Kalki_Maitreya

Kalki_Maitreya Member

I'd suggest using one syllable mantra than one sentence, reason being easier to focus and not so distractive.

Example is "Aing".

Using a mantra that ends with ~n, ~m, ~ng helps as it is resonates your attention downwards and calms you down easier.

9. Panthau

Panthau Member

Interesting, never heard that before!

10. Edwin

Edwin Member

Just think of "Aum" or "Om" Pan, the best known mantra in the world. That also ends with -m :)

11. Edwin

Edwin Member

I think "Mantahopping" is even more funny :p, it would require a lot of skill :D

12. osamipo

osamipo Member

13. osamipo

osamipo Member

So, pick your own manta: :) :)

New "classy modern" vehicle:

[​IMG] ;)

or Beautiful Holiday Destination:

[​IMG] :D

Joy,
    Alex ;)

14. Bonski

Bonski Member

Thanks so much, after reading your post I decided to go with "om",
    It was a lot better, I had noticed this calming when I was doing a Yoga tape. The instructor had you finish sitting up, lotus and chat "om" and there is something calming about that mmmmm sound.

Thank you too Edwin.

Bonnie

15. Kalki_Maitreya

Kalki_Maitreya Member

Sorry, I forget to mention that please avoid using "Om" or "Aum" as your personal mantra.

Om and Aum are very strong mantra used by meditators to clear thoughts before starting meditation sessions.

You can see that many chants starts with Om or Aum like "Om Mani Padme Hum" etc.

It's however okay to use Om and Aum for like 2 minutes before meditating with your own personal mantra. But it is not okay to use them on regular basis, especially if you want to learn more advanced meditation.

16. Bonski

Bonski Member

I did some searches on picking a mantra, I saw various suggestions; and will either use peace (which I have used before) or calm.
    The m in calm may work well because the m will resonate (like you said Kalki).
    Since I am striving for peace or calmness for myself; I feel drawn to either of these for my mantra.
    I am getting ready for my before bedtime meditation and will use calm.
    I will let you know how it goes tomorrow.
    Thanks

Bonnie