1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

pharmacological cure

Discussion in 'Your Suggestions' started by thanh_lan, Jun 3, 2010.

1. thanh_lan

thanh_lan Member

Hi guys!!:)

I had another question:
    my doctor suggested that I should take some pills, can I still use LifeFlow if I start this pharmacological cure?

cheers!!:)
    thanh lan

2. Panthau

Panthau Member

Hi,

I believe if it doesnt heavily interferes with your
    apperception, it shouldnt be a problem.

Atb,
    Pan

3. thanh_lan

thanh_lan Member

Hi pan!! thank you so much!
    cheers!:)
    thanh lan

4. Grey

Grey Member

if you are under a doctor's care for a condition and the doctor has prescribed medication you need to discuss the use of entrainment with that doctor. members of this site are not medical doctors or if they are (there could be one or two among us, who knows?) they are certainly not practicing medicine through the site and could not ethically give you medical advice without examining you first. really. no one here knows your medical issues or your medical history or the nature of the medications your doctor has prescribed and we cannot give you an opinion on whether or not using entrainment is medically advisable with your condition and the meds prescribed to treat it. do discuss this with your doctor.

5. thanh_lan

thanh_lan Member

hi grey! thanks for your great advice!!
    the point is I've been using LifeFlow almost for 1 week now, and I feel a strange feeling of relief I haven't felt for so many years! also in my head!! this is a great point for me!!:)
    but when I started meditation I started to feel a bit anxious with negative thoughts, BUT this thougtHs DON'T HAVE ANYMORE THE STRENGHT THEY HAD BEFORE I MEDITATED!:)

I have to say I've suffered from depression for 5 years now, without any cure 'cause my parents didn't want to face the thruth (it's a long story); meditation gave me a great help, but I needed to talk to my doctor, someone who could understand my situation.. he just told me to come back to see which pharmacological cure I should start!

thanks to this forum I feel less alone, and yes as you say only my doctor can say what I have to do..

I wanted to ask you another tip: I always have a very sad expression on my face, what could I do about that?
    I've just read a little about mind drugs and I'm a bit scared!
    any suggestion?? please!

I don't want to bother you, I've read a lot of posts on this forum and they are all great!!

thanks to LifeFlwo and to all of you!
    peace and joy!!:)

6. Ta-tsu-wa

Ta-tsu-wa Member

Hello, Thanh, and welcome to the community. I hate to say it but I second the suggestion that you take this up with your physician. If you're dealing with an issue like depression and your physician has prescribed medication as part of your treatment your question is one that the physician needs to address with you.

Any medication used in the treatment of depression is going to do its work by making adjustments to your brain chemistry. The practice of meditation and the use of entrainment may also be having subtle effects on brain chemistry, albeit natural and gradual ones. Still, your physician may not want those changes competing with the changes he or she is hoping your prescription medication will make.

Aside from potential interactions with the prescription if anything unexpected came up your physician would want to know about all the things you've been using to help with the depression including meditation or entrainment. That enables him or her to more effectively assess just what is going on, and whether the unexpected events were due solely to the prescription medication or to a combination of factors.

7. Edwin

Edwin Member

Hi Thanh !

I too, reluctantly, have to agree with Grey and Ta-tsu-wa.
    Since they allready covered the why's, I won't go into it any further.

For this I have a very strange and somewhat dumb sounding tip:

Try to smile more !

I know how this sounds, but the strange thing is, it really is how the brain works. The brain reacts to your face smiling just as it works the other way around. When you see something funny ( like a funny movie or something, or check out Youtube for animal crackers or whatever ) you can't help but smile, and smiling gives off hormones that make you feel better.
    For now it may seem that this doesn't help, as depression usually feels like trying to swim in a puddle of tar, and laughing only seems to give relief at the very moment you are laughing, and right after that it seems that you get plunged back into the tarpit.

But doing it the other way around, by forcing your facial muscles into a smile also works ! It tricks your body into believing everything is good, which reduces stress and makes you feel better.

Just like returning your attention to the mantra in meditation, try to smile as soon as you notice your face is going into a sad expression.

To illustrate just how powerful this can be, a man in the US was told he had cancer and had only a few more months to live, and he made sure he watched funny movies every evening for at least 2 hours.
    He became an expert in laughing, was happy all through the day, and the stress relief that came from it helped his body in reducing the cancer, and after a year the cancer was gone, without any chemical treatment or surgery.
    Now these cases are rare, and sadly it doesn't work for anybody, or we would change our way of curing people.
    But smiling can't possibly interfere with your medication, and your medication just does the same to your body a simple smile can do.

:)

one to get you started: YouTube - Hahaha

8. Panthau

Panthau Member

LOL

This is indeed strange :D

9. GilesC

GilesC Member

Why not take it one step further... remove the Trying...

"Smile more!"

There is no effort in smiling. The effort is in the letting go of what is making you not smile. So put a smile on your face and bring your attention/focus to the smile. In doing so, you come into the present moment and all the thoughts and ideas that were stopping you from smiling will disappear.

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Hugs

Giles

10. thanh_lan

thanh_lan Member

Thank You!!

Hi!!
    to all of you guys, Pan, Giles, Edwin, Ta-tsu-wa, Grey a huge THANK YOU for you support, this community is great!

yeah I will listen to my doctor, I'd like to go on using LifeFlow, I'll tell him what exactly it is and then we'll see! :)

I'll post again when I have the result!
    joy and peace to all of you!! :)

Thanh Lan

I'll start smiling!!

:):):):):p:p