1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Personal Development

Discussion in 'Mind, Body & Spirit' started by pollyanna, Feb 28, 2009.

1. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Personal development can be ongoing and never ending. Personal development is becoming the best you can be.

You were born to achieve - I believe we all are. There is abundant wealth for everyone and I don't mean only money. Being wealthy to me means first and foremost enjoying the love, respect and loyalty in the rich relationships shared with family and friends.

Enjoying the great heritage created by others, with no effort from me. The people who have dreamed and paid the price to create electricity, communications, transport, home comforts, self improvement material and so many other wonderful creations that are often taken for granted.

The ultimate price many paid by giving their lives so that we can live our lives as we choose today.

Achieving and contributing creates happiness.

I pulled out my journals today so that I can post some of the great things I learned in this thread and hope it will be as useful to you as it has been to me.

It was such a beautiful day that I decided to enjoy the sunshine at the same time and as I wondered where to begin I decided to go back to where I started - the days when I only had a little hope.

As I put pen to paper it turned into a rhyme or poem for some reason and my afternoon became the following words:-

Along time ago, seems so far away
    a small seed of hope was planted one day.
    It was so very frail, needed much loving care
    for the bountiful fruits it one day would bare.

Enthusiasm, patience, kindness and love
    were constantly given so it could rise above
    the destroyers of doubt and fear that were rife
    in the infertile soil where the seed lived it's life.

Some people were told of the seed in the ditch,
    they laughed and they shouted "Impossible" which
    could have shrivelled the tiniest roots of the seed,
    but the grower ignored them - continued to feed
    the small seed of hope which no one believed
    could grow and survive in the ditch full of weeds.

The grower kept weeding the doubt and the fear
    keeping "the end result picture" so clear
    in her mind - kept the faith - with no proof at all
    that the seed would grow to be so strong and tall.

For such a long time there was no proof to see
    yet the small seed of hope was growing to be
    less frail - it was changing into belief
    despite the naysayers, who still gave it grief.

And as time went on the belief just grew stronger
    developing roots that grew deeper and longer.
    Becoming unstoppable, it blossomed and grew
    until finally the grower's dream had come true.

"Wow you are lucky" the people say now,
    "this part of the ditch must be fertile somehow!"
    "Whatever I've done" she said "you can do too"
    They replied "we may not be as lucky as you."

The luck that I had are the choices I made,
    I just never allowed my hope seed to fade.
    The outcome was always clear in my mind
    though obstacles and challenges attempted to find
    ways to discourage the frail seed of hope
    asking "What if you fail - how will you cope?
    you shouldn't be greedy - you'll always be poor"
    So I stood up and showed discouragement the door.
    As discouragement got to the door, he asked "Why?"
    I replied "Cos I'm tired of just getting by."
    “What if you fall?” he replied with a sigh
    The faith in me answered “But what if I fly?”

I wish you an abundance of encouragement, joy and happiness on your journey of personal development :) :) :)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  2. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

An exercise from one of my journals.

The following major lesson I learned from Jim Rohn:-

Make a list of 50 things that you would like to achieve or have in the next ten years - big things - little things, it doesn't matter. Write at least 50 and only write one thing on each line because you will need space to write something else a little later.

These are not things that you think you can aquire - it's a list of what you want - just let your mind run free. What would make your life dazzlingly unique?

What places would you like to visit?
    Would you like to write a book, create a song, learn to play a musical instrument?
    Expand your library
    Investments you'd like to make

Education for your children
    What would do it for you?
    Parachute out of an aeroplane or bunji jump
    Climb a mountain
    Life is a collection of experiences. What would give you great satisfaction?
    Maybe some benevolence goals - become a benefactor
    Set up a youth camp or an orphanage

What would reward you - give you that wonderful feeling that you have contributed and helped?
    Be a teacher, speaker, lecturer, author, poet, singer. One of the greatest forces that stir the human soul are music, lyrics and poetry.

Debt free
    They don't have to be big things.
    Something that you've got to prove to yourself
    Something that would give you great satisfaction
    Entrepeneur
    Executive

This is a model that you can use and then teach. You can teach this to your children and they will have no problem with this - they would probably already be asking for more paper :D

If you could have everything you wanted to make your life just how you would like it to be, what would you write. I realized I had forgotten how to use my imagination.

I asked "What will make me kind, rich, effective, live an extraordinary life?"

When you have listed at least 50, look at each item and decide that one is about a 1 year goal, that is about a 3 year goal and that one is a 10 plus year goal. Mark each one with the appropriate number of 1, 3, 5 or 10.

If you've not done this before you could be astounded. I hadn't thought so much about this goal setting ever in my life - planning my future.

Now, look at all the 1 year goals, pick out the 4 most important and put them on a new list. One of the greatest exercises in life is deciding what's important and what isn't. Don't spend major time on minor things. Save your energy for the majors.

Now ask yourself why these 4 goals are important to you. It's the why that makes the difference. If the why isn't important enough to you then don't waste your time on it.

What you want is the object - it's powerful - it's like a magnet.
    Why you want it is the purpose. Purpose stirs the emotion and the passion.

PURPOSE IS STRONGER THAN OBJECT.

For example:- You want a 4 wheel drive because you like the look of them.

Or, the purpose of you wanting a 4 wheel drive is because you and your family travel along rough terrain each day and often get stuck if it's muddy.

The purpose of why you want the 4 wheel drive has a much stronger pull for you than the want because you will eliminate this particular challenge for you and your family.

So the two important questions are what do you want and what do you want it for.

A lot of your goals need to be personal development goals to help you become the person you want to become.

Beware of what you become in pursuit of what you want.

It's incredible what you can become.

Jim Rohn's mentor suggested to him while they were discussing economics, "Why don't you set a goal to become a millionaire for what it will make of you to achieve it. Once you have become a millionaire, the money will not really be of importance - you can give it away - the real value is what you have learned and who you have become"

You will have learned to solve problems, improvise, gain an understanding of the market place, be more knowledgable and bring value to the market place
    This philosophy changed his life.

That's the positive side and in life there is always a positive and a negative.
    The creator and the spoiler
    Day and night
    Health and illness
    Winning and losing
    Life and death
    Liberty and tyranny

We must see the opportunities and sense the dangers.
    Whatever you want will come with a cost.

If it costs you working hard, discipline and learning some skills, that's good.

If it costs you violating your values and principals the cost is too high - nothing is worth this.

Don't compromise good friendships for something that has you driven too much.

Weigh up the cost first - don't look back and realize that this has cost too much. If it costs you to be disloyal then it's not worth it.

Judas got the money - a small fortune at the time - was this a success story? No it wasn't. Why? because he wasn't happy with himself. He had got his hot little hands on the money but he wasn't happy with himself because he had sold out. He tried to take the money back but they just through him out and he hanged his worthless self because of the betrayer he had become.

The only added advice I would give is play Creative Flow if you choose to do this exercise. I wish you an abundance of peace, joy and wonderful experiences :) :) :)

3. Bhavya

Bhavya Member

Thanks Pollyanna for the inspiration. :):):) I'm going to give your exercise a go. Your post is just the reminder I've needed to get onto this - something that's long overdue! :)
    Bhavya

4. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Thanks Bhavya, you're very welcome. I hope you enjoy and even surprise yourself with it. :)

I understand and am becoming more aware that my passion in this area can appear a bit (or even a lot :eek:) overpowering and it is so not meant to. It's a bit like when I first got a car, I wanted to give people lifts who were walking - and I did a few times - unfortunately I had to consider safety eventually (which is a shame - but c'est la vie)

The choices and sacrifices my family and I made 10 years ago give us the wonderful freedom we experience now - the indescribable feeling of living your life just as you imagined it for so long in your mind - even though it seemed impossible - is beautiful :) I wish you an abundance of joy and peace :) :) :)

5. scotland01

scotland01 Member

Thanks

"appear a bit (or even a lot ) overpowering and it is so not meant to"

Not so, more amazing and helpful in ways you don't know. Thanks

6. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Thanks Scotland01, your kind words are deeply appreciated :)

By the way, are you and your friends still enjoying not having a T.V.? I wish you an abundance of joy and happiness :) :) :)

7. scotland01

scotland01 Member

Wow kind giving and you remember.... the T.V is certainly a good thing for me not to have and we are enjoying not having it. Just getting rid of negative and limited thinking next........ Time..

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  8. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

I'm excited for you and will definately watch this space :) :) :)

9. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Harvard University Study

A study was done a number of years ago on students at Harvard University.

The aim was to find out what percentage of students wrote down or were willing to write down their goals.

Several years later they followed up the study and found that 3% had done this.

The following results astounded them.

The income of the 3% who had written down their goals was far greater than the combined incomes of the 97% who didn't. This study grabbed my attention for I had never done this before - I hope it proves useful to others here, happiness and joy :) :) :)

10. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Visualize your goals

How to visualize Your Goals

Some notes from a seminar with Brian Tracy:-

The last thing before you sleep and the first thing in the morning, think about and visualize your goals as realities. See your goal as though it already existed. Your subconscious mind is only activated by affirmations and pictures that are received in the present tense. See your goal vividly just before you go to sleep. See yourself performing at your best. See the situations that you're facing working out exactly the way you want them to.

Feed Yourself Mental Pictures

See yourself living the kind of life that you want to live. See yourself with the kind of relationships, the kind of health, the kind of car, the kind of home you really want. Visualize just before you fall asleep at night. The first thing you do when you get up in the morning is to feed yourself mental pictures. Those are the two times of the day when your subconscious mind is most receptive to new programming, when you fall asleep and when you wake up.

Listening to a favourite LifeFlow track or Creative Flow is a great aid to this exercise also. Have a wonderful week-end full of peace and joy :) :) :)

11. newyorker

newyorker Member

This is an awesome exercise polly. I wrote my goals down listening to creative flow last year and the difference it has made is massive. I recommend doing this to anyone. Lifeflow and personal growth stuff ROCK MY WORLD!! :D NY

12. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

I'm so pleased for you Newyorker and totally agree. I decided some time ago to constantly learn, grow, become the best I can be and serve others until the day I die.

And here's what I've found - the more I've learned, the more I realize how little I know and there is a wealth of knowledge available.

Some books I read talked of the immense value of meditation. Unfortunately and frustratingly I was unsuccessful in this area for years and then I was introduced to LifeFlow and Michael.

The rest is history and every day is a celebration :)

I wish you continued success, peace and joy :) :) :)

13. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

The Power of Habit

The Power of Habit by Dr. Denis Waitley

"You may know me.
    I'm your constant companion.
    I'm your greatest helper; I'm your heaviest burden.
    I will push you onward or drag you down to failure.
    I am at your command.
    Half the tasks you do might as well be turned over to me. I'm able to do them quickly, and I'm able to do them the same every time,
    if that's what you want.

I'm easily managed; all you've got to do is be firm with me.
    Show me exactly how you want it done; after a few lessons I'll do it automatically.
    I am the servant of all great men and women; of course,
    I'm the servant of all the failures as well.
    I've made all the winners who have ever lived.
    And, I've made all the losers too.

But I work with all the precision of a marvelous computer
    with the intelligence of a human being.
    You may run me for profit, or you may run me to ruin;
    it makes no difference to me.

Take me. Be easy with me, and I will destroy you.
    Be firm with me, and I'll put the world at your feet.
    Who am I?

I'm Habit!

Habits are replaced, not broken. Habits are like submarines. They run silent and deep. Habits grow by observation, imitation and repetition from cobwebs into cables to strengthen or shackle our lives. First we make our habits, then our habits make us.

Success and failure are both habit-forming. Find mentors and role models with proven track records of success and emulate them."

We often form habits that take care of the way we look on the outside yet we often fail to form the habit of looking inward to take care of what matters most.

Creating the regular habit of meditation allows the harmful habits to be released allowing us to become familiar with a new and healthier way of being.

The power of habit is truly amazing. I am so thankful for the habits of meditation and gratitude - they make life tremendous :) :) :)

14. Edwin

Edwin Member

That was absolutely brilliant !!!

15. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Glad you like it Edwin - have a great day :) :) :)

16. daisy3

daisy3 Member

pollyanna,
    I have been reading your posts in the forum which has been a great help , most importaintly the personal development thread.You have helped me look
    back and appreciate myself on all the hard work i've done.I have unconsciously blocked the road but you've inspired me to create another new
    one . I'm sitting down with a note book and a pen all geared up to begin.
    thank you ever so much for all your worthwhile effort.
    lots of love
    daffodil

17. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi there daffodil (my mums favourite flower)
    thankyou so much and I am very happy for you. If I can be of help in anyway you only need ask, enjoy your journey and don't forget to allow Creative Flow to assist you. I wish you an abundance of peace and joy :) :) :)

What a dream demands in courage it pays back in honour :)

18. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Through meditation you gain access to the creativity of super consciousness :) I have learned that by surrendering to the Universe or God provides me with more power than if I just try to discipline myself to do it alone.

Through discipline you build self-esteem and confidence. Discipline creates freedom.

Once we realize that we are running round on automatic, we can control our thoughts, use our imagination, emotions and actions and leave the rest to God or the universe.

Have a tremendous week-end :) :) :)

19. beth

beth Member

wow thanks polly I love that habit poem and i've finally written down the things I want to do. I'll let you know how I get on love and best wishes beth xx

20. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Good for you Beth - I'll certainly be watching this space. You are the epitomy of the following quote:-

"I'm a work in progress - I'm not there yet - I'm just not where I used to be"

I am so happy for all the changes you have made and the amazing new you that is evolving and wish you much peace and joy on your wonderful journey of self discovery :) :) :)