1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Pausing LF meditation

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by Panthau, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Panthau

Panthau Member

Hi,

Anyone here ever paused LF? I did at level 6, and had to start over at level 10 (9 atm). I wonder if im a special case in that context, or if anyone experienced something similar.

My problem is, that i need to back up a bit from meditation, as it seems to much atm. I dont want to always start again at level 10, because my brain again resists the deeper levels.

Thanks
    Phil

2. Hazelkay

Hazelkay Member

pausing LF

Hi Phil,

I don't think you need to restart from level 10 - the 'progress' we make is not lost if we don't meditate or use LF for a while. It is there in our lives.

Although there is the recommendation to work gradually down to level 1, it is not that level 1 is any better than 10 - just different.

If you need to back up, just use whichever tracks are comfortable from the ones you have experienced; you don't have to use those in the 'correct' order.

It's also good to have some sessions without the entrainment, so that you can slip into the meditative state at any time - not just when you are having a formal sit.

If you are playing it cool for a while, I would recommend shortening your sessions rather than missing sessions out.
    peace and joy:)

3. Panthau

Panthau Member

Hi Hazel,

Its a good idea to meditate also sometimes without entrainment,
    thanks for the hint.

Its not that i want to follow any order when using LF, its just that theres massive
    resistance, which gradually falls away again, but i needed several weeks to get down to
    level 9 again. Tried recently level 8, but the results were nervousness and the typical feel of resistance.

The weird thing is, that ive already been down that road. I spend at least 2 months with every level, often even a lot more, until i absolutly felt settled with it. Then i stopped - and needed to restart. No problem, but this way ill never experience the deeper levels.

4. Hazelkay

Hazelkay Member

resistance

Hi Phil,

I'm wondering whether the entrainment level is the problem or if it is just fear surfacing - I had a long period of fear surfacing when I meditated.

Does the nervousness and resistance start quite soon after you begin?

10, 9 and 8 are all Alpha levels so I wouldn't expect a huge difference in response to them.

It does take some time for the brain to respond to the entrainment, so if the reaction starts quickly - say before you've meditated for 10 minutes - then it could be a mind reaction.

You could explore the feeling of resistance and the nervousness in quite a clinical fashion.

OK I'm feeling this nervousness and resistance - where am I feeling it. All emotions are accompanied by some sensation in the body. For example - Anger is often felt as heat, or tension in the face or hands or solar plexus.

Discover where you are having uncomfortable sensations and describe them to yourself - the exact location, the size of the sensation, the temperature of it, what colour would you call it, is it settled or shifting.

Be very gentle with yourself, do it once in a while, don't hammer at it. I would recommend using the level you are comfortable with most of the time and twice a week try one that you have resistance to, so you can explore the sensations.

Stuff does come up as a result of meditation - sometimes it is short-lived and easily dealt with and sometimes it is recalcitrant and stays around for a long time. I used to have this red hot pain across my shoulder blades whenever I meditated - it lasted for around 3 years without appearing to diminish - then one day it wasn't there and it hasn't been there since.

You could formally ask yourself the question ' What is it I am nervous of, what do I have resistance to? Then put the question on the back burner and let it simmer until the answer pops up.

Hope this is helpful - feel free to ignore if it sounds too wacky!!
    peace and joy:D

5. Panthau

Panthau Member

Thanks for your insight Hazelkey!!

To get distance to these feelings is quite hard, but thanks for the reminder!

I just wonder why i had no problems with all these levels for months, even years, and now have to start again. Yep theres a huge difference for me between 10, 9 or 8.

When i switch to a deeper level (8 atm), i never feel nervous or bad in generally while listening, quite the opposite... its ecstatic and im deeply relaxed. Afterwards, though, i have a stinging sensation over the body and i get those feelings, which can last quite long (several days, but the most intensity is in the first few hours after meditation).

Its weird... seems like my resistance has taken over again after pausing LF. I dont mind that much, as every level is beneficial, but its somehow also a bit frustrating to always restart when pausing LF.

6. olmate

olmate Member

Hi Phil,

Maybe take a walk around the idea that progressing to LF 1 is somehow a goal or even a requirement. We are where we are and where we are is always perfect.

Why is getting to 1 important for you?

Nothing but the best...

Olmate

7. Hazelkay

Hazelkay Member

reaction to entrainment

Hi Phil,

I am puzzled by the body's reaction - haven't come across this variation before.

Have you contacted the support team? They consult Michael if necessary and I've always found his answers on the button.

sending much metta
    H:):):)

8. Panthau

Panthau Member

I guess i wont get a better answer from them, then on the forums. :)

Yes, we are where we are... its just a bit hard for the mind, when it had a climpse on whats possible. Its also the way that lf is made... 10 levels which can be accessed gradually... than you could get into this trap, to want to experience all of them. Of course its also ok to use only one level for 30 years, as long as were here in the now. The weird thing, on the other hand, is, that the deeper levels bring you more into the now lol.

9. Edwin

Edwin Member

What meditation method do you do at the moment ? I know you have been busy with Yoga, so maybe it's the meditation method itself that is causing the problem.

And when using LifeFlow with that meditation method, it might enhance the effects of it.
    Try your meditation session without LifeFlow a few times to see if this reduces your complaints, or try the free meditation course method to see if the problem still occurs.

There is a reason why Michael gives a free meditation course with LifeFlow you know ;)

10. Panthau

Panthau Member

Yes theres a reason for everything. I like to keep my view as wide as possible, as i think they havent found the holy grale yet :)

The yoga system i tried included pranayama (and a mantra for meditation), which i stopped after a few months because of heavy results. I now meditate only with the given mantra "ayam".

Maybe its just my mind. Maybe theres a reason im restarting, and maybe on a deeper level then before. Maybe someones guiding me. Thats a beautiful thought :)

11. M L K

M L K Member

Hi, Phil,
    I do believe that our healing processes are guided by a deep body-wisdom, if only we will listen. And it sounds like you are a very good listener. You mention on another thread having been abused as a child. I'm wondering if you are being guided to linger with the alpha tracks in order to better condition you for whatever work might lie ahead with those earlier traumas. I hope you know you have our deep regard and support as you move forward, however you decide to do that. All the best, Margaret

12. Panthau

Panthau Member

Hi Margaret,

I dont quite understand what you mean, which guiding? You mean a therapist?

I have one, a very good one in fact. Its just that we stopped the work, as i just have no access to these feelings, or im not ready yet. But in the last months, i dont feel very well and a few days ago i had that feeling of breaking down. Like a forced release of all the emotional weight lying on me. It didnt happen, but it felt lke thats gonna happen if i dont find access anytime soon. I guess im very afraid of it.

13. Hazelkay

Hazelkay Member

Hi Phil,

Challenging times - go gently my friend - the release will come when you are ready for it.

From your post it seems like you feel a volcano is bubbling under the surface and it may be destructive when it bursts through, so a part of you is keeping the crust intact.

It might help if you do a 'Big Mind Big Heart' sort of question. Goes like this - helps to say it aloud and shift your position when you reply or use a trusted other to ask you the questions

'Hello, can I speak to the voice of the barrier that stops me accessing these feelings?'

(without thinking about this voice - what it is or where it comes from just answer)

'Yes, you are speaking to the barrier voice'

'What is your function?'

Then answer the question with whatever pops up.

We are with you Phil
    much metta
    peace and joy:)
    H

14. Panthau

Panthau Member

Thanks for the tipp Hazel, that sounds really interesting - definitly gonna try it!

Thats exactly my problem... i dont have any access to this story in my mind. I know what happend, but i cant access the feelings. Instead i feel weird sensations, extreme nervousness and slightly depression (i like that most, as its most concrete and therefore easily releasable).

Its easy to let go, to be in the now and to not attach when everythings smooth... but things like these draw you into the dense like a supermagnet... been struggling with that for so long, more or less... cant wait to let ultimately let go of this story.

Thanks for your supporting words!

15. M L K

M L K Member

Hi, Phil,

I meant the guidance that (I believe) we each have within us. And I meant that it sounds as if that part of you is wanting you to slow down the brain-wave entrainment work, perhaps better to prepare you for when you "access" the old material. Maybe lingering with the slower alpha waves is exactly what would serve you now.

I'm glad you have a good therapist. Does he or she have any training in following the "felt-sense," i.e., how we carry the life narrative within the body? Some examples of that work are Peter Levine's Somatic Experiencing and Sharon Porter's Somatic Trauma Resolution. (I'm sure there are other versions of the work by now; EMDR is similar in some ways.) SE and STR can help discharge the shock from old traumas without even bringing any specific memories clearly into recollection. A good practitioner could start with what you describe as "weird sensations, extreme nervousness, and slight depression" and help you do that work of discharge very slowly and gently, without inviting any overwhelm. An added benefit is that the client learns "tracking" skills, which they can use on their own to follow the felt-sense and unburden their nervous system.

I hope this is clearer than my earlier post and helpful.
    All the best, Margaret

16. Panthau

Panthau Member

Thanks Margaret, got it now i hope. Maybe its a good idea to listen to the inner voice :)

Im at level 9 atm, thats alpha afaik. Maybe i go back to 10 for a while, or skip the entraiment at all until everything settles.

Yes, she (my therapist) does work with EMDR. I had some good results with that, but i recognized that she┬┤s "waiting" for me to go deeper. Seems like i cant, atm. Maybe i should visit her again, as these feelings arise... im not sure.

I wish my inner voice would tell me clearer whats going on... in some things i have a very strong inner voice & wisdom, in other things im just blind.