1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Paring of Senses

Discussion in 'Mind, Body & Spirit' started by olmate, Sep 22, 2010.

1. olmate

olmate Member

This fresh new day bought an amazing and vivid rainbow to celebrate the dawn.

It bought to mind the phenomenon of synaesthesia where one can see the colour of words and numbers (a basic description). It is understood this comes about by the pairing of two bodily senses - in this case sight and sound.

Is this something that an advanced practioner can activate as part of being present?

Olmate

2. Karmoh

Karmoh Member

Hi,

This reminded me of my wife. She can see spelling and grammatical errors on a page of text. She says spelling errors are purple, grammatical errors are green, all in bold, while everything else is normal.
    She said it happened one day prior to an English exam, when she was 14. She believes it was stress induced. But the ability has remained.

So It can be switched on……..but how, who knows

With my disorganized way of writing and grammatical errors, we have had some very heated discussions :)
    Sorry for digressing…

3. GilesC

GilesC Member

I don't think you can choose to active these things, you can only choose to remove the things that are restricting you from any ability. i.e. "I can't spell" ..... "Yes you can, but first you must be free of your self limiting belief"

I can "see" (for want of a better word) potential energy and forces of physical objects. It's difficult to describe but, for example, if my partner places her mug of tea down near the edge of the table, I can see an increased potential energy (and therefore a likelihood that it will be knocked off the table easily) and this reduces if I move the mug further back onto the table. That's a very simplistic example, but I have awareness of this sort of thing (and many others) all the time.

It's not something I chose or actively activated, just something that exists and I'm aware of. I'm sure there are other things, but they will come to my awareness as I clear myself of those self limiting beliefs.

;)

Hugs

Giles

4. Edwin

Edwin Member

In addition to Giles post, it could very well be that it is always there as a potential in every human being.

But there is also a thing called "talent", where certain things go easyer with one person, and less easy with another.

There is no real definitive answer to this I guess, best advice I can give you is to give it a go and see if you can "train your brain" :)

5. olmate

olmate Member

Giles and Edwin,

That does make sense. I personally have noticed images in the peripheral vision. It is subtle and when I concentrate I see nothing. But when I relax and stop trying they appear. In essence I see people, moving about, but I rarely see their faces. Sometimes when I go to an opera or even a church service like a wedding, I see in the periphery people sitting high on rafters or chandeliers enjoying the music.

I get what you mean when you say you see energy fields. Do you also see auras? Does it ever become a distraction - say when you are in a conversation with someone?

The act of letting go and noticing seems increasingly to be more and more subtle and requires increasing precision. Is that your experience? Can you point me in a direction to learn about additional practices for letting go so my awareness increases?

Karmoh - that is too funny. Talk about having an unfair advantage. If I was you, I would just surrender.

Olmate

6. Karmoh

Karmoh Member

Oh thats not all, she's Miss Continuity…….instantly spots flaws in TV programs and Movies
    Drives me crazy…. Who invented the box that records while you watch...needs talking too. We are forever reviewing the programs or movies we are watching because she has spotted a shadow that’s facing the wrong way or Oprah is slim in one scene and carrying few in another ;)

Talented Lady :)

7. GilesC

GilesC Member

It's not just energy fields (and yes I would include Aura's in that), it's almost like, without thinking, I can see the laws of physics in action and know what the potential is in the physical sense before it happens. So, if something physical is not places correctly (or even if it is), I can see the stresses and strains placed on it, or how it would (re)act if a force were applied in a certain way. It's just a sort of "knowing".

Hugs

Giles

8. Midnight

Midnight Member

Not really huge, but quite often i'll grab onto my cell phone without thinking about it and then a second later i'll receive a text message. By no means is it hard evidence of anything, but it's kind of cool when it happens :p

9. Edwin

Edwin Member

There are enough examples for that in my life as well.

In my experience it has to do with the balance of Ki or Chi or whatever you will call it.
    Every time my sister picks up the phone to call my mother the phone starts to ring allready, as an example.
    There is no explenation possible, but it is there.
    In the past secret agency's have even considered testing these phenomenan to try to find a new weapon through telekineses.

But the conclusion of those researches was that even tho it was there, it could not be trained and was not relyable.

And that is also a very good description of me :p

10. Midnight

Midnight Member

Is your sister into meditation and such?

You should look into the movie Men Who Stare At Goats, it's a story about how the army tried to create super soldiers who had minds that were capable of powers. I think it's kind of relevant because it goes a bit into eastern philosophy and beliefs and such. And it's hilarious.

"And that is also a very good description of me"

Hahaha, noice.

11. Karmoh

Karmoh Member

We all have that innate power of 6th sense. Unfortunately by about the age of 3 it has been subdued and by the age of 7 it’s buried completely. Not for all, but for most of us. Occasionally we get a glimpse of that inbuilt intuition.

Now you might say what has this to do with the thread, but it is my belief that unless we understand why we are so stifled and uptight we cannot begin to release the blockages that hold the ‘senses in check’

Nevertheless……………………

As a child I wanted to live in a world of puddles and sand, Sun and snow, bugs and furry things, I wanted things to go bump in the night, life was exciting……. In school and at home there was no splashing in puddles, only florescent bulbs and pain by flying hands. There were acts of unreason, and no true feelings.

As an adult I believe most of the world’s problems stem from lapses and distortions in early school and home-life, mainly through our insistence on reducing life itself to a script.

As a child, before I learnt to use words to mediate between my senses and the world, it was duly edited and interpreted for me by well-spoken, well-informed adults.

As a child I followed instinct; it was not my similarity that made me special but my differences. Each day surprised me with new sights and sounds. I was new, and so was my world. As adults started influencing my world the newness went away, replaced by words and pathways we were told were correct and true. If we kept reciting the words or following the path, everything would be exactly as it should be.

As an adult I mapped my life to mirror the script, taking embedded teachings to be more real than the world they depict. I failed dismally.

I’m now relearning, true, it’s late in life but by giving myself permission to think outside the script, I’m making it possible to tap in to the energy of my early beginnings. Where had I been all my life to have missed that? I was right where my schooling and home-life put me, in my head organizing, scheduling and trying to drum the world into my brain.

So, do we all have it, I think so, but where is it hidden………. :)

12. olmate

olmate Member

Hi Karmoh,

I do relate to your comments. It is kind of funny that at this stage of my life how a deep re-evaluation of all of those "musts and shoulds" which for so long seemed so important - now are much less relevant.

The question about the paring of senses is probably a symptom of that ongoing re-evaluation. Experiences that the main stream (if that is the right term) ridicule or dismiss or even supress seem much more evident when I choose to see with an open mind and see what is.

I remind myself each day (actually several times each day) that every single step - foot after foot - of this journey has much to offer, most of which is beyond my ability to understand.

But acknowledging that I do not and probably cannot understand does not (now) prevent me from immersing myself into every moment.

So having these experiences and hearing and seeing the experiences of others just adds to the wonder of this journey. In one sense this life journey is like a visit to a museum or art gallery or even a side show. There is lots and lots of amazment and intrigue and awe - some which I like to linger and stare at and others that may shock and everything in between - but the journey continues...

I guess the new learnings by living this way are providing a richness to this brief life. This is in contrast to years of striving, wanting and seeking within a main stream paradigm which never delivered despite achieving many of the all important markers like money, possessions and position.

And one aspect that I am very grateful for is connection - in my personal relationships, in group interactions such as work, in the community, in the country in which I live and of course the space occupied in this world.

And I do agree, that much seems to be hidden from us or perhaps more to the point I am blind to. The challenge each day is to see and remove the blockages so they are revealed.

Thanks for your insights. They are great benefit.

Olmate

13. Karmoh

Karmoh Member

Thank you for your kind comments. :)

I think I was trying to say that as children we accept the moment for what it is, as children we don’t strive to fully understand, yes we did ask why, but adults would stretch and manipulate the truth and we would believe.

We are blessed, As NEW adults our destiny is to be uniquely ourselves, not cultural clones. Whatever our circumstances, we can do our best with what we’re given in our allotted time.

:) Exactly!

14. olmate

olmate Member

Hi Karmoh,

That is a good point. I wonder if we have regained our childhood "innocence" rather than new adulthood? Although having just typed that I suspect it is not about learning a new paradigm. It is just being present with a wide open mind to whatever presents.

Olmate

15. Edwin

Edwin Member

It's really easy to "blame the parents" for losing our childhood innocence and the "living in the now" way of life.

Of course they play a big part in it, no denying that, but it seems that this is an important step in growing up. Only when we have attained some goals and live a comfortable life, you know, house, partner, kids, car, the works, does spirituality show itself again. The nagging question in the back of our mind if this really is it, is this all there is ? What is the meaning of it all, of my life ?

Would we have become so successful in life if we hadn't concentrated on attaining wealth ( not just financial wealth ) first ?

What good is a spiritual quest if the stomach is empty ?

The same story applies for those abilities that were there in childhood.

It is my belief that there is a very strong difference between a child and a grown up in the sense that a child is consciousness, but without awareness, and a grown up has the ability to live in consciousness-awareness.
    Consciousness-awareness means living in the now, but with the knowledge that formed them during adolescence.

The growing up isn't a restriction, it's an addition.
    There is nothing lost, it is all included in the package. Your abilities that are your birthright are still there, they just aren't in focus at the moment.
    If you imagine that those abilities are covered up or smothered in false beliefs you first need to remove those false beliefs before you find it again, but in fact it is all just your imagination that started that.

What if it is allready here, now, in the one everlasting moment that you actually exist ?
    How could it be even possible to remove all those false beliefs in a non-existing future ? That future is also just a figment of your imagination.
    Your abilities aren't covered up at all, thoughts don't even have that much power. Place your focus on those abilities that you recall from your early childhood, and watch them return as you observe them :)

16. olmate

olmate Member

This forum is gold... Here I was sitting quietly admiring a majestic tree - thinking to myself what wonderful branches, delicate leaves, strong skyward reaching trunk... turning to Karmoh and pointing out this feature and that feature...

Then along comes Edwin and points out that what we see above the ground is pretty much replicated underground... only it is not as obvious...

Mmmm... just when you think you see a whole, a gentle tap on the shoulder and another panorama opens up...

As always, sincere thanks...

Olmate

17. Karmoh

Karmoh Member

Hi Edwin, thanks for the insight, some good points of view, Recently I do tend to err on the darker side of growing up.

Yes perfectly true, although my point was not blaming parents, or anything in particular but blaming the collective mind that over long periods of time has manifested a way life that we are told is right, be this parental, social or religious. I don’t blame my parents, nor theirs….or theirs………..or theirs…………………. At school we are taught to a curriculum, where in the curriculum is a place for emotional skills, why should my children wait until adulthood when “they have their own mind” to begin to understand the emotional skills that are required to live a fulfilling life.
    I don’t remember learning about compassion and mindfulness. I do remember quadratic equations. Never had any use for them in 1975 and still don’t in 2010. :D

To me it seems like waiting for illness and then going to the doctors, instead of being proactive with diet, exercise, relaxation and sleep to counterbalance our lifestyles

Now where was that book on logarithms?

I like this, :)

18. Midnight

Midnight Member

So much win in this thread :p

I also think of disillusioning periods in our lives as growth in themselves. How can one see through the illusion if one has never experienced it themselves? Learning how to do something, and learning what's not working are each equally important.

Something I said to my friend that I feel is relevant

19. Edwin

Edwin Member

Well said Midnight !

Very true.:cool:

20. Edwin

Edwin Member

What Midnight said actually was the point I was trying to make, but I did it in a clumsy way.
    If we were taught that it is all an illusion from the start, we would not care about financial gain or wealth. Just like the body needs to experience the side-effects of raging hormones to be able to develop an adult body, the mind might need to go through the entire experience of developing a false self-image before being able to discard it as nonsense.

The only flaw about our culture is that spirituality isn't "cool", and thus we never get to the discarding part.
    The first time I told some friends who I knew for over 14 years that I started meditating in 2007, they burst into laughter. They wanted to know if I was going to start wearing sandals and robes now ;)

So, coming back to growing up, the problem is that when school is over, we are taught to "get a job, get married, raise some kids and die" as if that is the higher goal for mankind.
    That is not the goal, that is just what is needed and what happens to you while developing spiritually.

I do think that it's not right for a school to teach people about compassion and mindfulness. I do intend to teach my kids about it tho. So in the end, maybe it is the parents fault after all ;) :D