1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Panic Attack/EFT

Discussion in 'Mind, Body & Spirit' started by JCG, Feb 6, 2010.

1. JCG

JCG Member

Hi all.

Does anyone have any advice on getting rid of or dealing with panic attacks?

I have a fair bit on EFT or emotional freedom techniques. Energy flow or qi is a big interest of mine so EFT seems like a good way to apply the principles of accupuncture to help with my anxiety. I just dont have the $150 to buy the videos you need to train in it. Does anyone have any opinions on EFT or maybe used it themselves.

Any help will be a greatly appreciated.

Peace to you all.
    Jack

2. GilesC

GilesC Member

At the risk of the moderators pulling my post for advertising (I'm not!), if you want some first steps in doing EFT, take a look at my old website (lots of out of date information! eeek!) for free automated interactive EFT treatments...

Little Me - EFT and Reiki | Free Online EFT

(there's no tie ins, no selling of your contact details and I won't even email you back unless you ask me to! :eek:)

It was designed for an old version of Internet explorer so may not work ideally, but should still work enough to get an idea. I've just tested in firefox and it nearly works, but goes slightly out of alignment (moreso than the latest internet explorer, but it was never designed for tabbed web browsers).

You can download the basic "recipe" (instructions) free from the EFT website:

Official EFT Training - Learn EFT from the Founder Gary Craig

But you'll have to be quick as there's a chance the website won't be there much longer as Gary Craig is retiring and there is uncertainty as to whether the website will be kept going. I think that's planned for March this year.

It's not necessary to purchase the DVD's to learn EFT unless you wanted to qualify as a practitioner, although saying that the content on the DVD's is very good and valuable for anybody wanting to get a good insight and understanding of EFT beyond what is in the free manual. (I have the CD version of the videos, from before they went onto DVD and I've found them very valuable, but it was an investment for my learning EFT as a practitioner)

I'm more than happy to give advice regarding EFT here on the forum if you're happy to work on things out in the open, or you can contact me offline and I'll happily provide free guidance via email.

For some other guidance you can read lots of information from the EFT website on panic attacks...

Search Results: panic attacks

The main thing with panic attacks is that, like other conditions such as depression, it is not just a single aspect that can be worked on; it's necessary to look at the underlying aspects that are the cause for the panic attacks in your own situation and work on each of those things. Typically it comes down to fears of some sort, and the longer you have suffered from panic attacks the more fear of having a panic attack you get, so there is a sense of having a fear of having fear; which sounds a little odd, but is certainly an aspect that should be looked at with the treatment.

EFT is certainly a good route to go down for treating your condition as is practicing meditation.

You've made a good choice thinking of EFT and also for seeking help via Project Meditation as there's loads of great support and skills here. :)

Hugs

Giles

3. Panthau

Panthau Member

4. JCG

JCG Member

Hi Giles :)

Well.. what can I say. Many, many thanks to you, I wasn't expecting such a thorough and considerate reply. Although I must say from browsing this forum, it's deffinately not lacking in kind and compassionate people.

I would be over the moon with any help or advice you can give me.

Since my first panic attack back in november '09, I have come quite a way. Infact I haven't really suffered a bout of anxiety anywhere near as severe as that first attack. So I think ive done pretty well on my own up to now.

I'd like to familiarise myself with EFT as back up, incase I ever find myself faced with another bad panic attack.

If it is okay with you I would prefer to discuss this further through email.

Please let me know if you don't mind me giving you my email address through a PM.

Once again thankyou for help.

Hi Panthau :)

Thanks for the link, this sort of thing is right down my street.

Peace to you both.

5. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hi JCG,

You can send me your email via the website above (or the website in my profile) as we can't use PM's on this forum. I can't promise quick responses, but will answer when I can.

Hugs

Giles

6. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

7. Itlandm

Itlandm Member

Also, with as little offense intended as at all possible to our resident EFT expert, one should not treat a symptom of any kind - physical or mental - without first having taken notice of the fact that symptoms are warnings. Removing the pain of an appendicitis is foolhardy if the appendix remains inflamed, and it is the same with our minds.

If not for well-placed panic attacks in my younger years, I would have wandered blindly into a life situation that would have done grave harm to myself and others, because of parts of myself that were still subconscious at the time.

8. GilesC

GilesC Member

No offence taken. :)

Your advice is absolutely correct. It is important to see if we can recognise the root cause of issues so that they can be dealt with, and EFT (or other therapies) are very useful to clearing the emotions that arise from those causes, thus allowing us to deal with them, but we shouldn't just ignore the cause just because we've cleared the emotion. Of course, it does depend on the nature of the issue as there will be some things that are in the past and just cannot be changed, so clearing the emotions attached to these memories is the only real option.

Hugs

Giles

9. JCG

JCG Member

Hi Pollyanna :)

Thankyou for linking me to such a great article.

Michael Mackenzie seems like a great guy and I can't wait to start out with LF10. Just waiting for abit of money to come my way first :).

Hi Itlandm :)

I think I understand the position you are coming from, but would you mind explaining a little further what you mean?

Giles, I will use your website to contact you. Don't worry about the speed of your response, if there is one thing I have learnt recently it's patience. :)

Thankyou for all your replies.

Jack

10. Itlandm

Itlandm Member

Not sure what needs explaining. I have had panic attacks, and I did not like them. They are the only thing in my life so far that remind me of the religious notion of "hell". But they don't actually come from demons in Hell wanting us to suffer. Rather the panic attack is a desperate plea from our subconscious to stop and listen. If we don't, then either the panic will return, or something else that is at least as powerful, in order to stop us.

11. JCG

JCG Member

Okay, I understand.

I realise that there is probably underlying issues that need to be tackled in order for me to beat panic attacks.

Peace to you Itlandm