1. MAINTENANCE

The Project Meditation Community Forum is temporarily in a Read-Only state due to maintenance and upgrades that are being applied. Although registration and the creation of new posts are currently not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

We will notify you as soon as our maintenance work is completed,

Have a great day,

Yours for HUGE success
    The Project Meditation Team

Overwhelming, how do you deal with it?

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by hayabusa, May 15, 2015.

1. hayabusa

hayabusa Member

A big hello to all the members of the community,

This is my first post here, so far I've read some of the posts here and I found valuable insights from your experiences.

I am currently passing through a though period, I started with Lifeflow in september last year. The first levels brought me a boost of energy, relaxation, creativity, positivity and an overall feeling of life is good and easy. Currently I'm listening to level 3 but for about 2 months my overall energy started to decrease, also my creativity and I've feel somehow stuck.

I would like to asks you guys about the periods when you feel overwhelmed? How long usually are these periods for you? How do you deal with them at work and in your personal life?

Good day,
    H

2. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi Hayabusa and welcome to the community :)

it sounds as though you are perhaps resisting a supressed emotion that is surfacing for you to let it go. Here's a link to a rather long but very worthwhile read...

http://www.project-meditation.org/c...x/2357-principles-meditation-entrainment.html

Once you've read through this, please can you let me know how you are actually listening to LifeFlow? This will enable me to answer your query more clearly. Look forward to hearing your reply and wish you much peace and joy on your journey of self discovery :) :) :)

3. hayabusa

hayabusa Member

Hi Pollyana,

Currently I'm listening for about 30 - 60 min of Lifeflow level 3 in the morning or in the evening using headphones. One month ago I used to listen also to level 8 or 9 or Optimal Learning during work time ~8h/day, but after feeling too overwhelmed I droped the habit.

About the supressed emotions, currently I don't know of what to let go, I have a heavy feeling, feels like a dead end, but I seem not to be able to pinpoint to something specific in order to address it further. From the moment of the initial post the feeling have lessened in the intensity.
    What caused that was that during the meditations I felt for several times a mental relief accompanied by a muscular release of tension.
    The muscular release of tension is usually a jerking of different groups of muscles. Always it's accompanied by a good feeling but I wanted to ask if the muscle jerking/trembling is normal?

I've read a while ago the post you've sent, but I'll re-read it to refresh my memory.

Have a wonderful day,
    H

4. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi H,

that's great that you are going to read through The Principles of Meditation and Entrainment again :) I think it's always good to go back through them now and again because they answers most all questions.

In the meantime, you may enjoy 20 minutes with LifeFlow rather than 30 - 60 minutes and play without headphones sometimes. You can also go back to a track where you felt really good and take it slower in approaching the next level. This way, you will feel more comfortable and more familiar with each level so you can gain more and more benefits.

Meditation brings up the repressed emotions and lessening this time to 20 minutes can be really helpful. As for playing Optimal Learning while you are at the computer, I don't think you need to cut this down personally because I play this or Creative Flow or Nirvana all the time that I am at the computer.

Hope this helps - look forward to hearing how you progress and wish you much peace and joy :) :) :)

5. hayabusa

hayabusa Member

Hi Pollyanna,

I think I've discovered my masochistic side, hehe, just joking. I didn't went back to a previous level or cut the time, moreover I moved to level no 2, I have bad days, good days, but overall I think the things are going in the right direction. After years of repressed emotions now I am eager to release them.

About the Optimal Learning / Creative Flow I started again to listen to them and feels good.

Have a fine weekend,
    H

6. Panthau

Panthau Member

Hey hayabusy,

Same for me, supressed emotions that i cannot conciously let go off. Im using LF only once a week or so, otherwise a big cloud is surrounding my emtional world. I tried a whole bunch of things, none of them helped so far... i just learned to live with it. Memories of my childhood are greatly blocked, i guess theres a reason. Humanity hasnt found an effective way yet, to release those stuck emotions it seems.

Maybe its just a matter of time, or maybe those with a hard childhood have to live with it.

Good luck on your journey and dont hesitate to cut it back or go back to another level.

7. hayabusa

hayabusa Member

Hi Panthau,

For me the blocking of memories happend suddenly, almost 6 years ago. I was in emotional pain at that time, I went to sleep and in the morning I wake up like a different person, having difficulties remembering the past, recalling just some scattered memories.

Was difficult in the begining but at some point I discovered meditation (and than LF) and helped me a lot.

I observed that if I keep going in that emotional & mental fog, even if it feels like the world is ending for me at times, at some point I hit a treshold and comes relief and I am able to remember some of my early memories in a lighter and more compassionate way and my overview about life seems to be more positive that it was before the clouds came by. This is what keeps me going.

I think releasing negative emotions is possible with small steps, especially with LF. From my experience so far I noticed that just before releasing negative emotions I feel the worst, (like really really bad / hell level) but if I keep pushing just a little more I am done with it, it feels like a trick. (meditating for ~ 2 years / with LF since sept 2014).
    To go trough the tough time I try to exercise regularly, have a good diet and I take some natural supplements.

Thank you for sharing your experience, I wish you all the best in your journey!
    H

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  8. Panthau

Panthau Member

Sounds like you know how to handle yourself, thats great! :)

Im getting better with myself too with the years. Sports and healthy nutrition help, and im doing LF only every 2-3 days, to not overwhelm myself with it. LF seems to keep my anxiety on a lvl i can handle.

Though the most important thing is for me, to not run away or resist... makes things a lot more smoother.

9. hayabusa

hayabusa Member

Thanx :)

I am having a hard time convincing myself to step back to a higher level because I feel that I don't want to face the issues or that at the later point I will inevitably have to deal with them, so why not face them now.

After a rough period that lasted more than a month the things seems to go well and are better than before. :D

10. Panthau

Panthau Member

If you have the inner strength, to face your inner demons... great :)

Though its no shame to take things step by step... but everyone his own pace.

11. hayabusa

hayabusa Member

Yesterday some events triggered memories from the past and my anxiety went up to the roof, sometimes this journey feels like a rollercoaster, I'm trying to enjoy it but sometimes is hard.

12. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi Hayabusa,

been on a holiday break and just catching up :) Perhaps the following piece from the link below about taking your time may help you...

http://www.project-meditation.org/c.../1437-experiences-lf-9-lf-1-a-2.html#post7113

"Think of growing in meditation as if you were setting a goal to earn a degree in mathematics.

You first have to learn the numbers and then learn how to count them in the correct order. Then you learn simple addition and subtraction. Then you learn multiplication and division including the old borrowing and carrying if you learned the way I did. Then you can delve into decimals, fractions and so forth.

You don't pause at each new step and say, "Ah, now I'm going to learn REAL mathematics!" It's all mathematics. None of these steps is "more mathematical" than any of the others.

But just as you cannot eat an elephant all in one bite, neither can you learn all of mathematics at one time. Some concepts cannot be grasped if you do not already possess the knowledge of certain other concepts. For example, borrowing and carrying involves the use of addition and subtraction. So you could not effectively learn how to borrow and carry unless you had first mastered the skills of addition and subtraction.

Meditation is no different. Some states of consciousness are natural, yet are not common. States like the alpha levels we go in and out of regularly throughout our day and so entering them in meditation feels somewhat more "familiar" than entering a waking state of theta might feel. Because we already have a good deal of experience with alpha it is relatively easy to begin working our meditations towards the alpha levels.

We all know what it feels like to suddenly find ourselves aware that we were lost in a daydream. That was an alpha state. So in the beginning of learning meditation if I tell you that you're going to experience an alpha meditative state you have at least an idea what that experience might be like. But if I said to you, "Alright, Newbie, we're going to start you off right from the beginning learning to meditate at a delta level," you would have no idea at all how that might feel or what to expect. Your chances of successfully entering delta while still awake and then staying there would be greatly reduced.

Instead we start off from something that is a little bit familiar and we build on that foundation. We take the next small step and work at it until it begins to feel familiar as well, then we take another step, then another and another and so on. As each new step becomes familiar and comfortable it becomes a secure foundation upon which to take that next step.

In any case, what would be the great attraction to jumping ahead to the lower brain frequency tracks? If you believe what's been discussed so far in this thread, and you understand that the next level is not "better" and that there isn't some great, mystical prize waiting if only you could just get to that last level, and you understand that each step is equally interesting, equally unique and equally valuable, then there really isn't much incentive to want to jump to the lower levels before the proper time. If you do it won't bring satisfactory results anyway, just like you can't learn borrowing and carrying before you learn addition and subtraction. Doesn't it make more sense to just relax and enjoy the total process?"

Remember Hayabusa, we have supressed some emotions for a very long time (I know I had) and taking your time with each level will allow them to surface more slowly so you won't feel overwhelmed. Let me know if this helps or you need anymore information,

I wish you an abundance of peace and joy :) :) :)

13. hayabusa

hayabusa Member

I think you are right about taking the process slowly, it seems that I have a long road ahead and I decided to step back so I can enjoy the process more.

When I started to meditate with LF I had this naive idea that in lvl 1, in that lower state are the roots of the emotional issues so I'll have to go there and deal with them as fast as I can. Now I don't know where they are, seems more complicated.

How you know when is the time to listen to a deeper level?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  14. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi Hayabusa,

You're not alone in wanting to race through the levels. It's great that you have decided to take your time - just relax and enjoy the journey. Even if you decide to begin again - nothing will be lost as all the levels have their own unique benefits and spending enough time with each level will create a solid foundation to the next. I have been meditating with LifeFlow for around 8 years now and still enjoy each of the levels. It's just a part of my daily life now whether I enjoy 5 minutes, 10 minutes or up to an hour. Feeling grateful for all that I have is a daily habit I am really thankful to have created too :)
    Feeling comfortable and familiar with each level and noticing a difference in your daily life (feeling calmer and handling life's situations more easily) is a good sign that you are ready to move on to the next.

Whether you stay with a level 30/60 or 90 days is absolutely fine. It's more important to relax and enjoy without any expectations. Meditation will bring up anything that needs to be let go of and when it does, simply welcome it and focus on the sensation. As you focus on it unemotionally and unattached to it, you will find it will dissolve away. Hope this helps, look forward to hearing how you progress and wish you an abundance of peace and joy on your journey of self-discovery :) :) :)

15. hayabusa

hayabusa Member

I went back to lvl 5 and is much better, not so much overwhelm and a more positive and constructive view of the situations, so far is good. Thank you Panthau and Pollyana for your advices, feels good to talk with somebody about this experiences.

16. hayabusa

hayabusa Member

During the times when you deal with unpleasant emotions does anyone feel apathetic?

17. hayabusa

hayabusa Member

Two years ago when I started meditating I was feeling the emotions in the lower abdomen and usually made my stomach sick, now I feel them mostly in my solar plexus and are usually more easily to deal with. I was wondering if there is an explanation for this.

18. hayabusa

hayabusa Member

Just checked a diagram with the positions of chakras and realized that I wasn't right in the previous post. Right now I feel the emotions around heart chakra in the chest and in the past was somewhere between solar plexus and sacral chakra more to the sacral one.

Since a little kid (as far as I remember) I had eating issues, especially when I was in an environment were I wasn't confortable, this lasted until college.
    If it's a link between emotions and this eating issue, is possible that a blocked chakra like solar plexus cause this? if yes what can cause a chakra to block in the first place?

I am not very familiar with the concept of chakras, I found about them when I started mediating but I didn't give them to much attention, but I think it may have some answers to questions/issues that I've been strugling with during my life.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  19. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi Hayabusa,

I haven't studied chakras however I imagine they work in a similar way to the systems of the physical body, that is, when one system is struggling, the back up system will take on extra work to help out. If it has to do this permanently, then it too suffers and the body is placed under even more stress and the body gradually experiences more symptoms unless the root cause is dealt with.

Meditation creates self-awareness and allows suppressed emotions to surface so that you can let them go. Personally for me, suppressed emotions initially appeared in the dream state and here's what I did. I awoke from a bad dream and instead of thinking "Oh, thank goodness, it's just a horrible dream" I recognized it as an opportunity to release a suppressed emotion that had surfaced. I did not focus on the storyline of the dream (although my mind tried really hard to distract me from unemotionally observing the sensation in my body) I just accepted and welcomed the sensation and asked it where it had come from. The first time I did this was quite frightening, and even though I now know that there was no need to be afraid, at that time, in the middle of the night, it took courage to calmly observe the sensation and not relive the dream over as my mind wanted me to do. When the sensation finally dissolved, I realized I had let go of things to do with betrayal and desertion.

At different times during the first year or two of meditating, an occasional suppressed emotion would surface accompanied by a sensation in various parts of my body and I just calmly and unemotionally welcomed and observed the sensation until it dissolved or disappeared.

We have amazing and incredible bodies and minds Hayabusa. The belief patterns that our complex mind (conscious and sub-conscious) have created, serve us immensely, allowing us to do so many things automatically and with the greatest of ease. That being said, some of the belief patterns that have been created (with the best of intentions) hold us back, do not serve us well and totally limit us from living the life we are born to live.

The ego/mind doesn't know the difference between helpful and unhelpful belief patterns and it thinks it's always right. Becoming aware through meditation allows the stuff that does not serve you well to surface, giving you the opportunity to release it and free yourself from these self-limiting beliefs. Once you let go of what limits you, you become free to choose and this is amazing. There are so many books out there that can help you become the best you can be and if you want any recommends, I will happily recommend some of my favourites that have helped myself and my family immensely :)

I understand that this did not address chakras Hayabusa, still I hope you find it helpful. I wish you much peace and joy :) :) :)

20. hayabusa

hayabusa Member

Thank you Pollyana, I am interested in some books, if you can recommend me something would be great.

Sometimes I have this feeling that are so many negative emotions that I have to let go and sometimes seems so hard to let go of them.