1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

"Over-Meditating"... Danger signs?

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by Whitefort, Dec 16, 2007.

1. Whitefort

Whitefort Member

At present, due to a lot of serious family illness and other factors, my life is quite stressful, and I'm finding that meditation provides a much-needed oasis and battery-recharge. It's also relieving some of my own health issues that seem to have been entirely due to the stress I've under.

My daily schedule has more free time than that of most people, and I've slipped into a routine of 3 daily sessions - one early morning, one late afternoon and one pre-bedtime. One of these is always 40-45 minutes, one is always 20, and one fluctuates between 20 and 40 depending on available time and how badly I feel I need it.

I know this is a lot but, as I say, life at present is far from normal. I expect that as my circumstances become a bit more 'normal' I'll cut back a bit on meditation. But at present, I hate the thought of losing any of these sessions. However, I've come across several warnings not to 'over-meditate'.

As yet, I haven't noticed any adverse symptoms, but I was wondering if anyone with a bit more experience than myself could comment on the subject - specifically, are there any danger signs to look out for?

Thanks,

John

2. xbomber08

xbomber08 Member

Thats what I was wondering. I was reading the .pdf instruction that comes with the regular meditation CD's, and it says that meditation can release feelings too fast for us to cope with. Thats what I was wondering, what exactly happens?

3. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi John

Hi John,
    if you go to project meditation and click on "Learn How You Can Benefit From Project Meditation!" you will find a number of Michaels reports. If you haven't already read them I think you will find them really useful. If you grab a drink and read the reports in order it will probably take you about 30 - 45 minutes to read what is there but will be so beneficial to you. I think the reason for not over meditating is so you don't bring up too many unresolved issues at once. You sound like you're doing fine. I cannot stress too much how helpful the reports will be for you. Hope this helps, good health and happiness to you and yours, P :)

4. wendy

wendy Member

Hi John. I suspect that the caution about "over meditating" is for those new to meditation and perhaps not ready to accept some results that will be very new to them. I also think it depends on what kind of meditation you do. I have one CD, that I find very irritating at the best of times and it actually makes me wired. Perhaps in the months to come, as I become more experienced, it may prove to be very beneficial - or, it may always irritate me. I don't know. It remains to be seen. Everything will work out exactly as it's supposed to.

All of this is my own personal conjecture and I stand to be corrected. Wendy

5. Whitefort

Whitefort Member

Pollyanna & Wendy,

Thanks for the comments!

I've now read through Michael's reports and found it very helpful - thank you for the pointer.

I think that for the time being I'll stick with my 3-per-day schedule. I'm experiencing only good things as a result, and there doesn't seem to be any negative side-effect.

Thanks again!

John

6. Edwin

Edwin Member

I guess when you are feeling good, you are doing it right :)

Your emotions always know best !