1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Out of Body Travel

Discussion in 'Mind, Body & Spirit' started by karen659, Jan 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fable

fable Member

I'am very interested in things such as OOBE Travel. I've been meditating for a while now. Does anyone have any advice on how I could use meditation to Astral Travel. I'am well aware of the cautions involved.
    Thank u

2. karen659

karen659 Member

Hi fable and thanks for posting.

My best advice to successfully experience OOB travel is to read as much as possible as to how others have had successes. Authors such as William Buhlman and Robert Bruce have some excellent books on the topic. I started with Buhlman's books, which lead me to more and more information.

In addition there are forums available that discuss this topic extensively. My blog has all my travels on it, as well as my different techniques and learning curve. (see link in first posting)

Intention and belief that you CAN do this are key aspects of success. By reading on the topic, you are telling your conscious mind that this is an important task you have set for yourself, and by affirming before mediatation that you intend to learn to travel OOB, you will 'set intent' for your subconscious mind as well.

Be open to any and all possible occurences during mediation, and just 'go with' whatever happens. With time and practice, you will experience more and more levels of success.

If you wish you may contact me via email ([email protected]) for specific questions or problems you may encounter that you do not want to post here.

Thanks for the post, and I hope to hear from you again,

Karen

3. karen659

karen659 Member

Just thought I'd mention that with continued meditation and OOB travel, I am finding I can help others who may be in need of assistance on other planes. There are many more entries on the blog you can read, as well as a few with my techniques for induction.

Meditation gives you such insight into other realms. Always keep an open mind as to all possibilities, no matter how 'firm' your beliefs are!

Please don't hesitate to write me for questions you may not want to post publicly here. ([email protected])

Blog link is on the "Site" button below.

Thanks!
    Karen

4. karen659

karen659 Member

Sharing an experience

Hi everyone! I do like to hear from you with your questions, so thanks!

I thought I'd share the latest 'adventure' I had with my out of body travel in the event some were interested. If any of the moderators feel this is not in line with what they want on here, please don't hesitate to let me know.

I only want to share what I have learned with my meditation skills in order that they may also learn, if so desired.

7.05.08 Solar System Visit & Spies

I realize I have to start labeling my experiences by what I have encountered so that upon review at a later date, I can easily find that which I can looking for! (especially with these multiple visits in one night!)

I remember becoming aware I was in full vibrations, and excited to think I was about to get out. As it has been a while for me, I remember I actually had to ‘calm’ my emotions to prevent disrupting the process.

Still feeling the vibrations, steady and strong, I became (again) impatient with the process (that’s me! lol) and just decided to roll out and stand up. I felt pulling at my head level, as if I wasn’t completely separated (probably because of my impatience!), yet was determined to do so and remember thinking, “I’m out!!”, and then felt the full separation.

I said ‘to the door!’ and found myself easily passing through my front door and out into the yard. I recall there was darkness again (common for first separation) and had to affirm ‘clarity now!’ twice before I was able to see clearly.

I recall I was amazed (again) at my clear, rational thinking I was able to do while out of body. Many times before, once I am out, I just seem ‘programmed’ to do things without thinking, but now the last few experiences I have been ‘allowed’ to think for myself and remember what I consciously wanted to recall once out.

I do feel that this is an achievement for me, as this process of being able to ‘know’ that thoughts are things so quickly in the astral environment, that once you learn control of your ‘conscious thoughts’ while out of body, then you are allowed to do so.

Anyway, I know I am out, and of course, I also knew that I had to do my usual flying and zooming to just enjoy that freedom, which I did. I was clearly thinking enough to ‘know’ however, that I had plans to ‘help someone’ this time out, so I didn’t spend much time enjoying myself.

So now I’m ready to ‘work’ and I affirm ‘Inward now!’ as I do a little spin to the left as I pick up my feet. I experience the most wonderful sensation of floating and moving that I have ever felt after affirming this. Usually it’s a dark tunnel, falling backward sensation, but this time I was softly floating through so many swirls and ‘layers’ of colors and music!! I particularly listened to the different notes playing, trying to impress the sounds within me so I could recall their immense beauty upon awakening.

At this point, I am shown this HUGE ball of white light, so bright it was difficult to look at! It was as if I was watching an explosion of sorts (at least that’s how it registered) and then it condensed into these millions and billions of tiny white sparkles. I was aware I was still traveling, faster than I have ever experienced, toward these immense sparkles of white light.

I watched as one area condensed even further into a more ‘solid’ appearance, and took the form of a solar system, with many planets circling the center white light. The impression I had was that I was watching the ‘birth’ of a solar system, all the while coming closer and closer to one specific planet within a specific solar system at a speed I have never experienced before. I had absolutely no fear, just total awe at what I was experiencing.

I was able to see the surface of this planet, and knew it was nothing I could even relate to. There were large neutral colored grid-like areas on the surface, giving the impression of buildings or sections. I was only allowed to get within a few feet of the surface, and was totally astounded as I watched the inhabitants go about their lives. The most unusual aspect here were the inhabitants who appeared to be one-dimensional and of a ‘cartoon-like’ shape, with very little ‘substance’ to their bodies. I can still picture these people, (opaque, whitish, ‘flat’, and non-specific in shape), but that is the best I can describe them. I knew I was not allowed to interact with them, but did enjoy seeing this unusual environment. (Most likely the forms of these inhabitants were not easily applied to my conscious mind’s acceptance, therefore the best it could relate them to would be a ‘cartoon-like’ appearance.)

I then faded back to awareness on the couch, but also knew that I did not get to ‘help someone’ as I requested and was determined to continue on with an experience. At some point, I was aware I was pressing down firmly with my feet, and upon realizing I was doing that, just relaxed them. Immediately they floated up, signaling I was ready to go OOB.

Once again, I rolled out before I could fully awaken and found myself ‘to the door!’ and then outside. I flew up to the roof of my house, and was surprised to hear a herd of deer running past my house, as if frightened by something.

I watch as a few ran to one side, and more ran to the other side where they were cornered. Wondering what could have caused this ‘stampede’, I then heard voices below the area where I was on the roof. I jumped down to where they were to listen in, and found myself immediately being ‘spoken’ to as if I was a member of their group. (I recall I was surprised I was able to be seen – yet went along with what was happening – I now think I may have actually entered/become one of the people below.)

I was directly told, “You need to get the copy of the ID card on <name?>”, getting the feeling like I was to be a ‘spy’ of sorts in retrieving this information from another member they were suspicious of. I asked, “Why do I need to get a copy of the ID card?” and was given such a look from the members as if they were amazed that I would even ask such a thing! I just didn’t pursue the questioning further and accepted this gadget they handed me. It looked as if it was part magnifying glass and electronic scanner of sorts.

I had the knowing that it was to be my job to get friendly enough with the intended person to hand me his ID card so that I could ‘scan’ it for the information it held. (My impression again was that this ID card held much more information about the individual than I could even imagine and it was that ‘other’ information that they needed.)

Playing with this gadget, I remember holding it up to the moonlight (as you can do with sunlight) to focus the light into a small intense white light. (I thought that was cool it could do that, so I played with it for a while… but it also gave me the recall that it was nighttime this was occurring.)

I hear someone coming from the other side of my house, and know that it is someone who is part of our ‘group’ and he shouts a friendly hello to me as we recognize each other. (I had the feeling that this individual may have been the one I was supposed to copy the ID card from.) He was telling me about a party he was at (another friend of ours) where the female was celebrating her 42nd birthday, and I recall joking and laughing, “well, I wish I could celebrate that age again!” indicating that I was much older than 42 in that experience.

Unfortunately, I faded back to awareness, and quickly did my one-word associations to help in my recall of this two-part OOBE. I awoke and recorded these experiences, and went back upstairs to bed.

I had two other episodes of lucid awareness and false awakening this same morning, but I will continue them on in another post on the blog. (You can link to the blog by hitting the 'site' button to the lower right)

Thanks so much for reading this long post - as always, I look forward to any insight/questions!

Karen

5. William

William Member

OBE Great - Glad to find this thread.

Thanks for sharing your OBE Karen.

I'm courious as to your OBE induction method. Would you mind sharing? :)

6. karen659

karen659 Member

Hi William! Nice to meet you, and no, of course I wouldn't mind!! Sharing is what my main focus is so that others may learn what I have learned.

I have it also on my blog (here's the direct link The Travels of a Dream Walker: My Induction Method), but this is a copy:

My Induction Method 12/18/07
    I thought I'd share here my method for getting prepared for LD/OBEs. Over the course of time, and with my constant quest for new reading/learning, I have been able to improve the process.

As of now, this method seems to be the best for me. Everyone will have their personal preference for relaxation and visualization, but the key is to get into a proper mindset and 'body paralysis' mode.

I am not one who can take the time to 'nap' or meditate during the day, as life always seems to get in the way! What works best for me is the nighttime induction, because we all have to sleep at some point!

I try to get to bed by 10p, which will almost always guarantees a natural wake-up between 2-4am.

For me, the trick at that time is to NOT wake fully, to keep in that 'sleepy' mode, yet make my mind as alert as possible with visualizations and affirmations. Active visualization includes seeing energy (white light) entering the top of my head (on inhale) and exiting my feet (on exhale), and re-circulating back up and re-entering with each breath.

I do this for a few cycles, then reverse the energy flow so that the white light is entering my feet, exiting my head and re-circulating, all while concentrating on my breath in/out.

Once the energy is established, and I start to feel the 'fuzzy' sensations and lack of proprioception (fancy word to mean, "I can't feel my body!!" lol), that's when I start my affirmations.

I think using the affirmations keeps my mind from wandering and helps me to focus on anything EXCEPT my body. Be sure you are not too awake when you start, or you will get quite bored quickly with this!

For affirmations, I repeat the same two phrases over and over - "My mind remains aware as my body falls asleep" and "NOW I am out of body!" It is important to know that they are wordlessly repeated in my head, but WITH emotion and full of intent as if I know it is definitely happening here and now! There can be no 'wimpy' statements of intention!

Almost always before a 'loss of consciousness' into sleep, there will be a falling sensation that is my signal to remain aware and see what happens next.

Sometimes I try to induce the falling sensation with thought of climbing down a ladder, freefalling as in skydiving (although I've never done it!), or even visualizing flight as a bird over a canyon.

Again, I agree, the trick is to not get excited that it's happening, and just go with the flow. That does take practice!

Sometimes, I may lapse into sleep, but then the 'dream conversion OBE' may occur (as I have described here in my blog many times) where I become aware of an anomaly within my dream, and therefore become more aware and in control.

"Surrender to the experience" is a perfect description of any LD/OBE...no matter WHAT happens (visual, auditory, tactile, etc)...go with it, wait it out, and see what happens!

(I will be honest, the tactile ones are a bit freaky when you feel hands touching you...but always go with it, as you will find out the reason sooner or later! The auditory ones can be quite soothing - I've had waterfalls, children's voices, and singing at times...)

Also, one particular motion I feel many times as I start getting into the 'fuzzy' all over sensations is a circular movment around both palms...another indicator that I'm 'settling in' and getting ready to go. (I believe someone told me we have minor chakras there, but I'm not well versed in this)

Of course, another VERY important part of this, of course, is to record your experience that follows! I use a small recorder kept at my bedside and record immediately upon becoming awake. Waiting even a few minutes more will cause you to lose so many details!

7. William

William Member

Wow -lots of great info!

Karen,

Thanks for the quick response. I also took a quick look at your blog and will spend more time there later today.

Seems as though you've customized an OBE induction process that works well for you. I'm basing this off the size of your blog. LOL. Clearly you're a prolific writer and enjoy it very much. :)

For myself, I'm would like to be more consistency in my inductions and focus on specific targets, similar to remote viewing which I have a little experience in. Not sure if this blending of the OBE and RV will work, but it my interest at the moment.

Most recently I've looked at the OBE material/course from Robert Bruce and Brian Mercer. The "controlled" entry and exits help me stay a little more focused (and awake).

How are the LifeFlow meditation tapes helping you in your OBE endeavors?

8. karen659

karen659 Member

Thanks, William, for the kind words. Yes, I DO enjoy writing and sharing my travels for others to learn from!

I used Life Flow as a means to learn the full body relaxation that is necessary for OOB travel. The key is to keep you mind 'alert' while you allow your body to completely relax, to the point of feeling nothing - almost as if you were paralyzed. ( A good analogy for this would be the sensation of a heavy blanket being placed over your body )

My techniques are a combination of Robert Bruce's energy work and William Buhlman's affirmations and intentions. These are the basis of my induction and therefore successes, I believe.

Books by these authors are highly recommended.

I hope this information helps in some way, please be sure to let me know if it does!

Thanks again,
    Karen

9. ctutt

ctutt Member

I've thought I've been on the "verge" of OBE several times. While I'm very open to any experience that comes along, I wonder what would be the purpose, value, usefulness, benefit to me to actually seek OBE?

10. karen659

karen659 Member

Thank you for the post and a very good question. I am sure there are many out there who ask the same thing, and for every individual it will have a different answer. You alone will have to decide what it is that drives you to seek this ability and for what reason.

I will share my belief as to the purpose, value, usefulness and benefit of these OOB experiences as they relate to me.

Initially, the excitement of getting 'out' was sufficient reason to seek this experience. I have always understood that we are more than just physical beings, having a spiritual energy inside that drives our consciousness from within. Somehow, even though I understood this, there was always that tiniest degree of human self-doubt that persisted.

So, with the OOBEs and that feeling of 'separation' of spirit, (yet not fully separate), validated this belief immensely. There is no doubt at all now, and it is such peace of mind and comfort to absolutely, positively KNOW that we will continue on after death and in an even higher level of performance than we currently have now.

After a few times out, I realized I was always learning something new - whether it was how to handle moving through objects, interacting with other spirits, or even just 'thought control' (dual consciousness, thoughts in action, etc). I was amazed at the levels of learning I was accomplishing, and every time I thought I just couldn't do more, more was shown to me.

I truly believe we are absolutely limitless in our abilities, yet we are also very much restricted by our physical 'minds' to understand the full capabilites we have. There are no restrictions once OOB, and for the physical mind to comprehend this, it takes baby steps to learn. This learning of new, unimaginable experiences is currently my reason and purpose for seeking these OOB experiences.

Every experience adds to my learning, and the more I seek, the more I find. Putting constraints on your efforts by limiting your reasons for doing this will only hinder your learning - you need to be open to any and all experiences.

I love to use the 'Inward Now' affirmation as William Buhlman suggests, as it has always taken me to areas where I personally need to learn something. Once you realize the only person you have any control over at all is yourself, then you can take an interest in making your 'self' the best it can be. For me, it is the constant learning and experiencing of new events, whether it is in 'real life' or in 'spirit'/astral that drives my 'self'. I will never stop learning or seeking to improve myself in any way that I can.

As my personal motto states, 'the more we learn, the more limitless the universe becomes!'

I hope this answers your question. I appreciate you giving me the chance to explain my reasons for seeking these experiences.

-Karen

11. karen659

karen659 Member

Another Experience - Multiple Exits/Pet Reunion

I went to my ‘traveling’ couch about 3am as per my routine, in the hopes that I could finally get settled enough to do some traveling again. I have been so busy lately, that I have not had the time or energy to focus my intent properly to get OOB.

This time, though, I knew I had to be sure I was not losing my abilities since it seemed to be such a long time since my last conscious experience. So, I’m on the couch, with my black lab, Buddy,(who follows me everywhere!)sleeping on floor next to me.

I became aware of floating sensation, a signal I am very familiar with, and I get excited! Whether it was excitement, with eager anticipation and an premature roll out or just plain lack of ‘practice’, the first OOB roll out was very difficult! I remember feeling very, very strong pulling energy, fighting for every inch of separation, until exasperated and defiant that I was NOT going to lose this chance, I very strongly intended ‘TO THE DOOR!’ which made full separation and movement to the front door.

Once out of the front door, I remembered I wanted to do ‘Inward Now’ to give me a chance to learn more about myself. I had the usual feeling of blackness and movement, then find myself in a room, with an overall feeling of ‘blue color’ (male?) and birthday party. The room was sparse, with objects lying around (no recall as to what though).

I remember heading up some carpeted narrow stairs to a bedroom on the right. As I enter, I see two twin beds on the left with a sink with water running (something in sink?) on the right. I turned farther to the left to see rest of room, and could see a room (bathroom?) with the light on.

I felt someone was in there, and as I look down I see an infant (few months old - girl - dark hair) sleeping on floor. There was a woman there I ‘felt’ to be someone similar to a coworker, yet may only have been someone who looked a bit like her. There was no interaction that I can recall except that she was happy despite having to live in such cramped, but homey, quarters.

I was aware enough to know that I had to start ‘memorizing’ words to remember my traveling as there was lots of little things I did (feeling of relearning?) and the ability to remember was one of them. Again, I know I had the recorder in my hand and was talking into it, yet upon fully waking realized I hadn’t moved and the recorder was still on my nightstand. So much may have been lost due to the fact that I was in a ’false awakening’ and I thought it was already recorded!

Again, after recording for real, I settle back and realize I’m again in full vibrations, knowing I could just roll out again.

It was much easier to separate, and I decide to go out the side door this time, passing by my sleeping dog. As I passed, I heard him (as usual) get up to accompany me! (He has accompanied me previously on my OOBE’s as you can read in the blog)

I take notice to feel that ‘tingly’ change in texture as I pass through the side door, with Buddy at my heels. Once outside on the deck, I am trying desperately to clear up my vision, as it was so dark! I remember saying "clarity now!" and “I can see now!” yet nothing worked. So as usual when I’m frustrated, I figure I’d just jump up and take off without regard for where I was going.

As I jump, I feel Buddy clamp down (bite, but no pain) on my left hand yet give no thought to the fact that maybe I should stay here. (As I did before in another experience when my dog tried to stop me by clamping onto my hand.) I turn, say to him, ‘aw, come on Buddy, come with me!’ and I pick him up, curl him under my arm (this would be no small feat in real life!! lol) then jumped.

I knew I wanted to go up, but found myself having difficulty in flying. I try to do my flips and fun stuff, but was awkward and slow. (I am now thinking that this may have been due to the fact that I had my dog with me, and his fear – that I know he had in a previous OOB) might be giving me the difficulties. I keep trying, saying, ‘let’s go up, go up into space’ and I can still see I’m not moving well, as the tops of the trees remain above me.

Rather frustrated, yet defiant that I can do this, I say “I’m a rocket!” and use the imagery of shooting up into space! I now feel the shooting up, anticipating seeing galaxies and the beauty of outer space (I remember thinking how wonderful it was previously). Nothing appeared, and I once again found myself back on the couch.

This time, the floating feeling tells me I’m ready to roll out, which I do easily. I repeat the same sequence going to the side door, hearing Buddy once again accompany me, and feeling that texture change as I pass through the door.

Once again, as I try to jump off the deck, Buddy takes my left hand in his mouth, and I pick him up. This time, however, I had second thoughts of taking off (I remembered the last experience) and said maybe I’m supposed to stay down low here. So I float off the deck, landed on black top area, which appeared to be part of a path with a park-like feeling to it.

Buddy is at my side now, and I was so surprised to see a little dog trotting up to us! It was a neighbor’s dog that Buddy used to play with who died a few years ago! She greets Buddy nose to nose, as I pet them both saying, “well, Buddy, look who’s here!!”

I wake shortly thereafter and record all I can recall. I know in terms of ‘wow’ experiences this may not be one, however, I am satisfied that I still have the ability to get OOB and in this case, may have helped my older dog also realize that his own friends are still around to visit!

12. karen659

karen659 Member

Multiple exits - W., Near physical, Familiar faces

8/10/08 4 – 6am

First of all, my apologies for the length of this post...despite it's length, it's still NOT everything that happened! But I thought I'd share with everyone what I can recall:

I had some very interesting travels last night, yet have very limited recall for a lot of it probably due to the ‘higher level’ of interaction that occurred with the people I met. I have found that when experiences are felt and observed on a higher realm that there is little association your physical mind can relate to and therefore once the transition is made back to full awareness, you lose much information.

I know this is what happened last night, as I can recall that ‘deep’ changeover as I transitioned and the loss of info that came almost instantaneously due to my limited physical mind abilities. However, I will record here what I do remember, although it just feels as though these ‘mere’ words cannot do justice to what I felt and observed.

Initially, I set an intention to see what would happen if I chose a name of someone I had just talked to online and knew nothing about. Over the course of a few hours I remember getting OOB a few times, and each time was different. I will try to make some timeline of what I remember with each OOB, however, this may not have happened in this sequence.

Initially, I remember ‘dreaming’ of being with a little boy who was playing with these red blocks. My sister and daughter were there and were planning on going shopping for party supplies and I talked them into taking this little boy with them so I could ‘travel’. As soon as they left, I said, ‘good, now I can go traveling’ and headed for the couch.

The first few times OOB I felt very heavy, and very close to physical, as I was fully aware I was standing in my living room as it is. Each time I remember feeling the strong ‘tugging’ back to my body and had to firmly intend ‘to the door!’ to move away.

One of the first times OOB, I moved quickly ‘to the door’ and outside. Here I remembered that I wanted to see W. Not really sure how to go about it, I just left it to the Universe to show me what to do.

I remember moving silently and through darkness, without any vision at all. Then I could clearly hear music, and it was music that was contemporary in that it was a ‘hip-hop’ or ‘blues’ type music with a male voice doing the vocals. It wasn’t much ‘singing’ as it was ‘talking’ words to the music and for some reason, I felt it had to be associated with W., as it was not ‘my’ preferred type of music. (I wish I was more familiar with the current singers and groups so I would know who this was, but I just don’t watch TV or listen to the radio at all.)

I faded back to awareness on the couch without any further insight, listening to the waterfall in my fishpond outside the window. (This waterfall sound always gave me the signal I was ‘back in real life’ for these various excursions.).

A short while later, I became aware of being on the couch and heard my dog and daughter (who is not at home!) come into the room. My dog walked over to the couch, gave me a big wet kiss, and put his head on my chest. My daughter walked to the bottom of the couch, sat down, and said ‘my throat hurts and I’m tired’. I know I had a conversation with her but cannot recall anything further. I faded back to full awareness again hearing my waterfall.

Another time I was aware I was hearing the TV playing, a signal I have used many times in the past to tell me I am ready to get out. (TV is never left on as I so rarely watch it). This time, however, a little girl was with me by the couch, one who spoke with such a soft soothing voice that I remember having to ask her a few times to repeat her words. What little I remember is that she said her name was Jilliard or Jill (?) and she sat quietly on the back of the couch near my feet, saying, “so this is your traveling couch?....you always stay down at that end and never lie on this end because there is so much ‘foam (?)’…” (it is not a foam couch).

One more time, I became aware of being able to ‘roll out’ and did so, again with heaviness and difficulty. However, this time, I was able to stand closer to the couch and look back. I have never been able to ‘see’ my sleeping body on the couch and this time was no different. However, I did see the blankets, mounded up as if a body was under it, with little blanket movements where my hand and foot would be to show me that I WAS there! It was unusual in that my body itself was ‘invisible’, and I feel this again is due to my own ‘belief’ that if I did ever see myself, it would cause havoc in assimilating that information. I didn’t dwell on the fact that I couldn’t see myself, and was just accepting of the fact that I was definitely there on the couch.

At this time, I believe I moved around the living room to ‘play’ in this environment, and remember sticking my head through the side wall of the house and feeling the cool air outside and seeing the actual outdoors. Vision at this time was intermittent, as I could see, but occasionally my eyelids would feel so ‘heavy’ the vision would dim, and I would have to say ‘clarity now!’ to see again.

I remember lying on the floor, pulling myself away from my body, feeling that heavy, heavy feeling of being so close to physical. At that time, I remembered to say ‘vibrations now’ in hopes that it would ‘lighten’ my feelings, and it did! I floated up easily, and then tried to sink down through the floor to the basement.

However, I could ‘physically feel’ the floor as I landed, and said, ‘no, I’m still too heavy’ and repeated ‘vibrations now!’ which allowed me to sink down right through the floor. Feeling confident that I was capable of controlling my movements now, I headed for the front door. I saw my fireplace where it usually is, however, it was much bigger and more exquisite with a glowing, beautiful fire. I remember thinking, ‘wow, its summer and shouldn’t be on’, but the warmth it gave was energizing so I didn’t think twice about it.

Again, I was heavy in the sense that I could ‘physically feel’ the furniture as I bumped into it, yet continued on. I do remember trying to turn the one swivel chair to a different position thinking perhaps I could then see it in its new position once I completely wake up. (Amazing that I am able to know I am not ‘in body’ and will eventually fully awaken – at that time, moving the furniture to a new position I felt would be a validation that I could use to further confirm my OOB existence. It was not in the new position when I did awaken, though.)

My vision continued to fade in and out, and at the front door, it faded again. I had the ‘feeling’ someone was there and yelled out, ‘is someone there?’ I felt a warm friendly touch on my forehead, at which time my vision cleared completely.

I saw a young male, curly black hair, working on the front door. He said ‘it’s just me’ and I remember asking him his name. I asked ‘who are you?’ and he said he was the “best friend of Maureen Hal?/Hol?” He was so friendly, and we had a long conversation, but all I can recall is his name that sounded Hispanic starting with “Neo….n (?) I asked him to repeat it a few times trying to ‘seal’ it in my memory, but it was so unusual that I could not associate it with anything. It was the events that would occur after meeting him that would become extremely difficult to recall and I no longer felt so heavy and ‘close to physical’.

Now I am outside of a beautiful ranch style house with black trim, and feel it is MY house, but as I always wished it to be. On the ground is white snow (?) and I am with these two other men carrying on a wonderful conversation. I remember asking, ‘is this snow?’ and their answer was ‘it is whatever you want it to be’ and I said, ‘ok, it’s snow’ and gathered some up and felt it tingling on my face as it came down. ( I love to do that in real life anyway! lol)

A table was set up as if some sort of occasion and a woman came out of the house to talk with us. I still recall her appearance, it was so warm and receptive, but again I have no recall as to what we talked about. At that time, however, it was so easy to remember.

I still recall the transition back to full awareness and that feeling of ‘panic’ as I knew I was going to lose much information. It was such a deep transition (tough to explain) that I tried desperately to associate anything I could to remember, but to no avail. At one point, I remember picking up my recorder, finding I had TWO in my hand, placing one in each hand. The left hand recorder had no on/off switch, so I changed to the other, and that one had a non-working on/off switch. (Later when I fully awakened, I had NOTHING in my hands)

Prior to fully awakening, though, I could hear things clearly – one was a song with a title I recognized and knew at that time it’s meaning to me (lost now), and another time was random voices talking that become agitated, and knew I could help by sending ‘white light and love’ to them. Everything faded until the very end I remember seeing my mother (who is still alive) at my side asking me if I had my bathing suit with the cup and pad (?) I said, yes, I have it, and she said ‘good, then make sure you wear it’…..she was happy that I remembered to bring it!

I became fully awake and recorded as much as I could recall – and yet still, felt incomplete in the sense that I will never be able to fully write and explain all that experienced to the breadth and depth that I felt. I know these were people I met that I have known before and they were all very happy to see me and be with me.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  13. tranvic

tranvic Guest

Karen,

excuse me please for my next questions and opinions. I don't want to offend you. I am just very curious and skeptical at the same time.

I see you are very excited about your night experience. You cultivate your ability to have more and more of it. I agree it may help your spiritual development, because you are getting some knowledge about yourself. But why do you believe it is all REAL? Why should so called OOBE be something more than just creative game of your mind?

Sometimes, I have very vivid lucid dreamings. At that time, I am usually fully aware of the fact that I am dreaming and I am amazed how perfect and realistic the scene is created, including all sensory perceptions of my body. For example, once I tried to test the reality of the perceptions of my "dream body" by striking sharp my hand against something hard and the pain I felt was real! However, I knew for sure it was a dream and I admired the perfection of mind's creation. I never had problem to remember what was going on in my lucid dreams, simply because my consciousness was so clear. Occasionally I even was able to observe mind in action. I observed appearing and forming dream sceneries out of nothing. It was amazing experience. But I never gave weight to such an experience to be something more than just outcome of my mind's work. I have never seen anything REAL in my LD experience except that it was a real creation of my mind. That is why LD is not my hobby. When my dream turns out to be a lucid one I enjoy it but I am not trying to have more of them. It would be a waste of time, similar to trying to see as many movies as one is able to see.

Why do you think your OOBEs are not just a sort of LD? You love to have such an experience and maybe that is why you give it so much meaning and importance. But isn't it only your choice of entertainment? For example, your affirmations are tools to control your mind. They are simply a trick how to obtain from your creative mind what you want. You train the creative ability of your mind so you should not be surprised by its creations.

Do you think that reading books about OOBE gives "a real knowledge" about
    "the actual phenomenon" named OOBE? And what if reading books just instructs your mind how to create for you what you want to experience?

I am sorry, but the story described in your blog post #8 named "Validation of OBE" actually is no validation of OOBE at all. You may BELIEVE the whole story is a validation, but in the strict, scientific sense, it isn't.

My opinion is as follows. LD is a "real thing" in the sense that it is a very special kind of dream. And OOBE is a special kind of LD. So the reality of OOBE is the same like the reality of a dream.

My question is, why do you believe, that your OOBEs are not a special type of LD? I would accept OOBE as a "real thing", if in OOBE, I would be able to see my actual sleeping body in my actual bed in my actual bedroom with all my actual things and so on. From your stories I understand your OOBEs are taking place "somewhere else", not in our common physical word. Then, I would say, your OOBEs are purely your mind's creations and have nothing in commnon with this real world. I guess you believe that in OOBE you are somewhere in "other planes", which are real for you. But why do you believe those "other planes" are real? What is the meaning of the word "real" in this case?

I am really very curious about your explanations.

tranvic

14. karen659

karen659 Member

Thank you for posting, and no, I take no offense at the line of questioning. I only hope I can explain how I feel and what I believe in order to answer your questions appropriately. Please take no offense as to what I say as well....

First of all, I have a feeling that I probably will not be able to convince you of my beliefs and understanding of the astral realms, however, I am willing to share them with you since you asked. :)

I have always understood that we are more than just physical beings, having a spiritual energy inside that drives our consciousness from within. Somehow, even though I understood this, there was always that tiniest degree of human self-doubt that persisted.

So, with the OOBEs and that feeling of 'separation' of spirit (yet not fully separate) validated this belief immensely for ME. There is no doubt at all now, and it is such peace of mind and comfort to absolutely, positively KNOW that we will continue on after death and in an even higher level of performance than we currently have now.

Yes, you may say this is a 'mind-game' and one that I am purposely creating for myself, and that just may be true to some degree. Our 'mind' has the ability to do so much more that we currently use it for...I believe science has actually documented that fact. There is so much that cannot be explained that happens 'psychically' among many people, you have to agree. Why can't there be a connection between the 'mind' and the astral? Can anyone prove there isn't?

Yet, if you were to experience all that I have, you would understand the degree of 'limitlessness' that this Universe has to offer all of us. Why must there be only 'real' life answers to everything? Can we not use a degree of trust to forge forward and explore uncharted territories? If you do not look for something, chances are you will not find it....

I truly believe we are absolutely limitless in our abilities, yet we are also very much restricted by our physical real-life conscious 'minds' to understand the full capabilites we have due to ingrained values and beliefs. There are no restrictions once OOB, and keeping open to any and all experiences, without 'dismissing' them as 'un-real' will allow further exploration of the unknown. It is possible the physical mind may never truly understand all that is available to us. This learning of new, unimaginable experiences is my reason and purpose for seeking these OOB experiences.

Every experience adds to my learning, and the more I seek, the more I find. Putting constraints on your efforts by limiting your experiences with a 'just dreams' label will allow you to go only that far - you need to be open to any and all experiences.

LDs and OOBEs are very similiar in many respects, and you can find many who will argue over their differences - however, again, I can make no assumptions as to other's experiences. I did not experience them, therefore it is whatever the other person feels it was.

Yes, as for myself, I DO know there is a difference, as I have 'felt' the differences between 'just a dream', a lucid dream, and an OOBE. Trying to convince others by putting these 'feelings' into words, however, will be futile as words just cannot adequate describe the depth of my experiences.

By 'not giving weight' to these possibilities is limiting to me, but it's ok, since it's YOUR perspective. I feel, though,unless you experience something more to compare them to by seeking more, you may not ever change your beliefs about them.

What is real? Who can describe it well enough that we all can agree upon it? No, the uniqueness of this physical life is that we are all different in many ways, and need to experience things from our own 'acceptable' perspective. Your opinion it would be a 'waste of time' again is ok, it just indicates to me a degree of belief that you are not comfortable in releasing.

It is MY belief that my OOBEs ARE a special type of LD - one that is experienced within a 'sleeping' state for teh physical body (= dream), yet it is also one that allows another part of me to still be lucid and active within this altered state. I KNOW I am out of my physical body for these journeys as it is totally different than my 'just dreams' .

Why should there be ONLY this physical realm in the Universe? I believe there are an infinite number of realms and planes of existence we will eventually experience. I happen to enjoy being open enough to experience this possibility WHILE I'm experiencing the physical realm.

Once you realize the only person you have any control over at all is yourself, then you will want to make your 'self' the best it can be. For me, it is being open to ANY possibility, and the constant learning and experiencing of new events (whether it is in 'real life' or in 'spirit'/astral) that drives my 'self'. I will never stop learning or seeking to improve myself in any way that I can.

I am not sure if I just rambled on here, or made some sort of sense. I dont' think there is any 'real' answer to your questions, only opinions and beliefs. You are the only one who can make a decision as to how you want to live - and what you want to believe - and that is just fine with me because I have my own beliefs I am very happy with. :)

Please continue to question as it shows me the possibility that you are open to new ideas, seeking other's opinions and beliefs to see if they may 'fit' within your own value system.

Thanks for the post,
    Karen

15. tranvic

tranvic Guest

Karen, thank you for your answers.

We all must have some beliefs to be able to live in this world. As for me, I am trying to keep the number of necessary beliefs to minimum. My highest priority is not to defend my own value system, because I can never be quite sure it is perfect, correct and finite. I need not to persuade anybody that my value system is the best. Fortunately, I am not politician, nor marketer, so I haven't to do it :).

First of all, I don't want to mystify or delude myself. So the greatest value for me is seeking the truth. I can assure you that it is very hard sometimes, as the truth may be almost unbearable. There are situations, when believing in something is much, much simpler. Providing the mind wants to know the truth, one can even ask, what is better: is it the truth invoking suffering of the mind, or is it a lie invoking mind's peace. It depends on how much the mind is able to withstand.

So perhaps I assured you I am open to new opinions and experience. At least I am trying to be open and without prejudices.

I did not say, there are no "other realms" or there is no life after death. I simply don't know. But I would like to know, provided it is possible to know in principle. That is why I am curious about your experience and your opinions.

Your answers helped me to make some things more clear. First, it seems to be evident now, there is no rational explanation of what is going on in your OOBEs. OK, I accept this fact. What seemes to be crucial for the OOBE to be considered as "the real thing", is your "sense of reality" of what you are experiencing at that moment. It is aceptable too, because experience is personal and not shareable. I believe other people are conscious because I am conscious, although I am not able to explain in words what it is like.

My problem with OOBE is as follows. I have personal experience with LD. So I know, what it is like to be in "other reality" than physical one (of course, it is not "true other reality" but a game created by my mind). I know, that "other reality" seems to be "utmost real" until one awake and experience still stronger "sense of reality". What I don't know, because of lack of experience, is, what it is like to be in OOB. I mean being in OOB and knowing "this is true OOB", similar to when I am in LD and I know "this is LD". For me the OOB would exist as a "separate phenomenon on its own", if I knew at that very moment when it is going on, that "this is OOB and not LD". So there must be some criterion or test, which would enable me to distinguish clearly between OOB and LD. Do you have such a test? You said that OOB is experienced in a way, that is very similar to LD. So there is perhaps only a small difference, but it must be crucial. I don't think it is correct to decide whether the experience was LD or OOB after is has finished and one is awake. I would say, if I am not sure at the moment, when it is going on, then it is a dream. So are you able to clearly distinguish between LD and OOBE just right at the moment when it is going on? What is your test of "true OOB"?

I read descriptions of OOBE with claims like "there was a string joining my astral body with the physical body lying in the bed" and such. Did you experience this? Or is it only a fairy-tale?

Have a nice day

tranvic

16. Cathi349

Cathi349 Member

So intruigued! :)

Karen, I absolutely love and am thankful that you wrote about OOBEs and have actual experience. I have been interested in this topic for yearsl I use to read about them when I was younger. I tried it once, however never accomplished anything and so I gave up. I wrote down the names of the authors and books you suggested to read, but I was wondering if you had any more advice for being successful in having an OOBE. I am fairly new to meditation and the few times I have tried, was not too successful either (I could never quiet my mind and I'd get so bored!). I just bought LifeFlow last week and I love it! Any advice you can give me would be appreciated!

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us! :)

17. karen659

karen659 Member

Well said!, and I admire your stance and perspective as it relates very much to my own. I agree sometimes it is easier to have your beliefs than the 'truth', but that is mainly a protective mechanism for the person you are at that time. Fortunately, with continued experiences and learning in this life (as well as in other realms) and in keeping open to new ideas, you CAN assimilate and know more truths, just as you are doing.

What IS difficult, as you have indicated, is to 'confidently know' something IS truth, to sort out what others have as beliefs vs. what you have learned, and that will be an individualized experience again. As we are ALL 'mere mortal physical beings', I believe no ONE person will have ALL truths, only what is true for them. (boy, I hope this is making some sort of sense! lol)

I knew you were not saying this, but I wanted to show you know how this one 'belief' of mine now is confirmed and unequivocal due to my OOBEs. I will not try to convince others of it, however, am willing to share what I know in case it 'rings true' to them, so they will be more receptive to having an experience that will confirm it for them.

Whew!...glad to know something I'm saying is making sense!! lol :)

This is an excellent description of 'real thing' as experienced by an individual. I can only say that once you have experienced it (and continue to experience it similarly over and over), you know its real.

My personal opinion, but, this statement (belief) will probably NOT allow you to fully experience this other reality due to a dismissal of it being possible (real) to you. You have to make the intention that ALL things are possible, including the possibility that that this other reality IS real. Your conscious mind is always trying to protect you from new ideas that are not in agreement with your current beliefs therefore will not allow you to experience that which is not 'true reality' to you.

Ok, I understand what you are asking, and I don't know if I will be able to give you such a 'test' that will always work for you. However, others (authors Monroe, Buhlman, as well as other forum suggestions,etc) have used the 'looking at your hands' for a test of being OOB.

If you believe you are OOB, by looking at your hands briefly you will note a white etheral type misty-ness to them before they fade away. (I am told fading away is because of the inability of the conscious mind to assimilate this information as possible - exactly what I mean when it comes to dealing with this 'other reality' experiences)

In one of the posts on my blog, I described seeing MY hands as a white spider-webby type mist when I saw them from my bed in my mirror. I don't use this test because of my knowingness of being OOB, and knowing that I dont' want to take the chance of 'overloading' my physical mind with things it may not assimilate well. I just go on and do whatever I set my intention to do when OOB, as I don't need that validation. However, this may be something you can use - look at your hands anytime you think you are OOB...

(Another suggestion I have read is for those who may not be able to 'remember' to look at their hands when OOB (due to being so distracted by whatever else is going on). By increasing your awareness of your hands during the daytime, while awake, you may carry over into the OOB experience the 'rememberance' to do this check. Consciously STOP a few times during the day (awake times for you night owls...lol) and consciously LOOK at your hands to see how they are while awake. Take a second to note their appearance, and after a while of this routine, you will remember to do so while OOB.)

Not fairy tale, but again, my belief. Despite the fact I have not seen my own 'white cord', I know it's there (in a sense) because I know there has to be 'link' back to my body since I am only temporarily traveling to these astral realms and will need to return.

I also believe it may only be 'visible' to those who want to see it, and as I have no desire to, I don't. I only know that there is a connection, and I have no fear whatsoever of NOT getting back due to its presence. I do not fear it will 'break' or lose connection because I KNOW I am protected and safe in my travels. I wish I could tell you how I know, but I do. This fear, however, stops many who believe they could 'die' while OOB, and that fear will stop any OOB exploration.

It is quite 'coincidental' that I received this in an email just yesterday (although you must know I do NOT believe in coincidences! :)) It said: Reality is not what your eyes show your mind, but what your mind creates for your eyes to see. You are not limited by logic, the past, or the world around you. You are not even of the world around you. You are supernatural, pure spirit. You came first. Magic, miracles, and luck are the consequences of understanding this, the inevitable result of dreaming and acting in spite of appearances.

Stay the course, keep open to all things, even those that don't initially appear 'true', and you will find your answers!!

I hope this helps - thanks again for the questions...

Karen

18. karen659

karen659 Member

Cathi, thanks so much for the post. I am always so grateful to know that what I do is helping someone somewhere!

The best beginning advice I can give anyone is to read, read, read on the topic, because you will find so many variances that others use. You just have to find the one that 'fits' you best...my favorite is William Buhlman, his books and techniques were my starting platform.

The next most important item to do is to write down ALL your experiences, whether in dream state or meditation. Even the 'insignificant' ones must be written, as this impresses upon your consciousness the importance of what you are doing.

You will find that with continued effort to document your experiences, they become more often and more intense. Setting your 'intention' that you WILL be able to do this is just as important, do not dismiss your abilities. It IS possible as long as you remain open to the experience without any fear. (Fear is the #1 reason many cannot do this, I believe).

Stick with the LifeFlow sessions and you will find yourself becoming deeper and deeper with increasing ease. Remember to document ANY ideas, feelings, emotions, visions, whatever that you have during the sessions, as well as your nightly dreams. It takes work and dedication and INTENTION, but you will find it IS possible.

(Just a note so those who think it may be too much work...actually, initially it was, but now that I have the experiences regularly, I don't feel I'm 'working' so 'intently' anymore. As with all things, with experience comes ease of effort :))

Please keep me informed as to your successes (whether here or email) - I love to know others are learning and discovering OOB!! :D

Take care,
    Karen

19. Kiauma

Kiauma Member

Great discussion. :) As you know Karen, I always enjoy reading of your experiences. Very exciting!

For me, the 'test' of being OoBE was always rather academic.

When I have set out to have an OBE, experience myself falling through various stages of trance, then my consciousness actually separating from my physical body, the intensity of OBE perception, and then going through the stages of remerging with my physical body to find myself back in normal consciousness, there is no question that something quite out of the ordinary is afoot.

I quite agree with Karen, OBE is very similar to a LD, but OBEs appear to be on another level of consciousness from an LD. I suspect they share the same mechanism of experience - but OBE is from quite another place. OBE has a very different energy about it. The workings of the mind are definitely there, but there is a level of interaction that also seems quite apart from anything of the mind.

This is why I think it is quite amiss to expect OBE perception to behave the same as normal consciousness. It is not normal consciousness, or normal perception. In a dream, everything one experiences is metaphorical, but to Spirit, everything physical is metaphorical. Finding oneself in the middle can be a very bewildering and even frightening experience - especially to the ego, which works so hard to maintain a stranglehold on perception for it's own purposes. A chaotic wildcard like OBE certainly isn't for everyone, any more than the same style of clothes should be worn by everybody.

Just my 2 cents... :)

20. karen659

karen659 Member

Thanks Kiauma! So great to hear from you again, and I knew I could count on you to help me out with this difficult to describe 'existence'.

I only have a minute here to offer my thanks, and am looking to find the time to write up last night's travels!! It again, was amazing....every time something new and different!! I love this! lol Will share with everyone soon...'don't touch that channel' I'll get it up ASAP!!

Many thanks again Kiauma,
    Karen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.