1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Out of Body Travel

Discussion in 'Mind, Body & Spirit' started by karen659, Jan 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. karen659

karen659 Member

Hi everyone!

I was just curious if anyone else has had any experiences with this in their meditative practices. It's been a recent development with me, and after extensive reading by William Buhlman, Robert Bruce, Michael Newton and others, I started a blog of my own experiences in 'dream walking'.

Many of the sensations some are experiencing, i.e. vibrations, buzzing, etc, can be precursors to the out of body travel. This may not be something that everyone is interested in, but there is extensive information and help out there for those who want to learn more about this practice.

Using out of body travel, one can not only learn about other 'realms' to visit, but also learn more by going 'within' yourself and asking for information about your personal issues and needs. I am so much more open to what the Universe has to offer since beginning this journey.

I welcome anyone to check out my blog (site button below) Start with #1 to get some background on my beginnings and see if anything reasonates with you. I try to keep it updated as my experiences progress.

I am always eager to hear from others who may share this interest. I find the meditation practices as described here are excellent and I highly recommend Michael's CD's as a basis for learning good relaxation and concentration, something that is required to travel out of body.

I hope this post isn't too 'overboard', but I do feel it is something that others may encounter while meditating, so I thought I'd mention my experiences.

Please let me know if you have any insights or questions. I only want to help others who may be interested by sharing my own adventures! You can post here or email me.

I am looking forward to hearing from anyone with questions/concerns or even just an opinion!:)

Thanks,
    Karen

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2008
  2. lebourdonant

lebourdonant Member

Easy travel ?

Niiice,

Just passing by, I visited your blog, haven't read it though, there is a lot of content !!
    From a user's point of view, I enjoy observing the widening of the spectrum of discussion on the forum.

Come & visit me in Thailand during your OOBES !

3. karen659

karen659 Member

Thanks so much for the reply!! Please let me know what you think of the blog after you read it...I thrive on feedback!! :) I also would love to hear of your own experiences...even if you 'think' they are just dreams!

(Yes, I know the blog is getting long, but if you take the time to start at the beginning, you can see there has been a lot of progress in my abilities!)

Meditative practice does have a 'wide spectrum' of use - and the more others know of what is 'out there', the better understanding of their own personal development there is. Of course, OOBEs is how I primarily choose to use mine!! lol

Thanks again...looking forward to hearing from you again after you read the blog....we can discuss it here or email....

Take care,
    Karen

4. Ras

Ras Member

quick question for you about oobe...anyone feel free to answer :)

I know a guy who knows a guy ( ! ) who had been into meditation for quite a little while, he was really enjoying it so he meditated quite a bit each day. Suddendly he had one meditation session where he had an out of body experince for the first time - he wasnt really prepared for this i guess because he feelt it *very* unpleasent... in fact so much so he got a bit scared by this experince. He stopped his meditation after this.

Of couse, many factors are involved... He might have meditated too much to fast I guess. But my question is if anyone ever had a similar experince? From what I heard this is a part of meditation where you have to be pretty much prepared for it to happen before you find it useful instead of scarry!

5. karen659

karen659 Member

Hi! and thanks for asking....

I thought I'd share what I have discovered and hope to allay any fears or concerns you (or anyone!) may have about the out-of-body experience.

Not knowing specifically what the 'concern' was that scared this individual, I can only guess it may have been the actual 'exit' or the discovery of being 'next to' your own body!

During the meditative practice to induce OOBE's, I always incorporate a request for assistance to 'those who are at or above my level of development' and visualize myself surrounded by protective white light. In this way, I am confident that no 'bad' experiences will occur, as those only happen when there is 'fear' involved.

A big lesson to learn about astral travel - "thoughts ARE things" - and therefore you need to have confidence that anything that may even remotely 'concern' you OOB, are only manifestations of your own fear - and therefore a chance to learn a lesson about your development. NOTHING can harm you while OOB, and there is NO chance at all of not being able to return.

There can be 'vibrations' or 'buzzing' sensations as the astral body begins to separate, which may be frightening for some who are not aware of that possibility. Again, it is all part of the process, and once you 'let go' and go with the experience, you find yourself able to exit easily to enjoy the freedom and pleasure of astral travel.

I would strongly recommend doing some reading about this ability if you are interested. William Buhlman wrote two very informative books (Adventures Beyond the Body, ) that I started my journey with. If you have not read these, I would start here.

Other authors with good information include Robert Monroe (Journey Out of the Body, Far Journey, Ultimate Journey) and Robert Bruce (Astral Dynamics). Actually, I believe I have some links to their websites as well as a listing of books at the bottom of my blog.

Hope this helps in some way!

Thanks,
    Karen

6. Divinitywolf

Divinitywolf Member

I've tried to get an OBE but i've never quite managed it.
    I have, however, had my whole vision go white. I was meditating with my eyes closed and suddenly the darkness just went completely white. Is that normal?

7. karen659

karen659 Member

Hi! and thanks for writing.....

One of the first things you learn when you start to explore the 'other realms' is to be open to anything!! Everyone will experience different sensations, visions, etc so you must just keep an open mind that anything and everything you experience IS part of YOUR process.

The next time it happens, just relax, and go with it - maybe pretend it's a movie screen and tell yourself that something will begin to 'play' on the screen that is important for you to know/learn right now.

Be aware of any body sensations and keep your thoughts to a minimum - just be open!

Let me know if you try this, and what happens. You just may be surprised!!

Thanks again,
    Karen

8. ellen

ellen Member

me too

Yes !!! I have had that experience whilst meditating ,it too was a first for me I really felt as if I had gone up a level and had no feeling whatsoever of my body and I was surrounded by this white greyish colour(not totally white) but it was so amazing ,everything was so still and I was so surprised and excited and could only feel my amazement and happiness ! WOW ! Needless to say I was then trying to compose myself so that I wasn't thinking too much about it as to allow myself to enjoy it silently!!!!
    I came out of this meditation feeling so refreshed and energised depite the fact that it had been a bit of a moody day and I wasn't actually going to meditate that day but my inner voice told me to go for it -so glad I did .Wouldn't have missed that experience for the world -it just turned my day around and I was so uplifted and happy for the remainder of the day.
    Would really love to hear other peoples experiences .

kind regards to all-ellen

9. karen659

karen659 Member

Ellen, so happy to hear of your meditation success! Yes, that is just the beginning of what you can do with practice and preparation!

Your energy level was elevated and negativity was cleared - hence your feeling refreshed upon finishing!

My advice holds for you as well - just 'be open' to anything during meditation, and if you so desire, ASK for whatever you are seeking! You will be amazed what happens! :)

If you check out my blog, and read it from the beginning, you will see how I have developed my OOB experiences. Hit the 'site' button at the lower right corner of my posts to go to my blog.....

Thanks for sharing - am eager to hear more of your continuing successes!

Karen

10. Divinitywolf

Divinitywolf Member

Thanks for the reply. I'll try that.
    I also got the feeling of excitement and happiness when i experienced the white vision. My meditation is also coming along and every day now i just feel so happy and appreciative of the beauty of the world.
    Its fantastic :) I might try and go for the monthly referal prize as well as i looked on there and they have great resources for solving self confidence issues which is something i'm having trouble with at the moment.
    Again thanks for the info

11. ellen

ellen Member

Hi Karyn I really enjoyed reading your OBE but just wanted to add that sometimes people may not be ready to "open" themselves to certain experiences and if done so prematurely it may have a negative effect while meditating.I really believe in listening to our inner voices and doing things slowly but surely. I think perhaps I myself have been rushing and my last 3 meditation sessions have left me feeling a bit uneasy so I'm learning to pace myself (as I don't want to be put off , )as I am enjoying the relaxing and calming benefits and also seeing things more objectively.
    However I do believe that more scientific explanations are needed in the introductory pages as to the way our body /brain may be feeling or reacting , or perhaps a page where somebody the moderators, Michael or some other member who has been meditating for a number of years can answer members concerns about their meditations. Perhaps an email if people feel uneasy about writing something they feel is too personal.
    I believe everything should be done in moderation and am glad to have read a number of times that each lifeflow cd should be listened to at least 2 months and for as long as one feels they need to if that be longer.( As in western society we do tend to want to rush things ) I think that the warning to people who suffer from any mental or emotional disorder should be highlighted as people may use meditation as a substitute for medical care, hence the importance to provide more information. I think its important to be aware of any side effects so that you can adjust yourself to a meditation technique that suits .These are just some of my concerns -otherwise love this community site and still looking forward to more benefits from meditating.
    ( love the fact that PROJECT MEDITATION enables you to earn karma points to download products allowing Everyone to have a go at meditation. )
    Thank you-kind regards -ellen

12. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

THE IMPORTANCE OF DISCOVER MEDITATION (a simple, practical and very effective course.

Hi Ellen and anyone reading this thread, I just wanted to put your mind at rest and point out that having used Discover Meditation and all the LifeFlow series I have never had an out of body experience and I have read somewhere (if I can find it I will post it later) that in all the years Michael Mackenzie has meditated, he has not experienced one of these either.
    When Michael asked me to be a moderator he did express that on a community forum people can write anything and everything including promoting their own sites or services. The upside of this is that people can ask any questions and comment on their experiences anonymously so they don't need to feel embarassed. It's also great to read genuine success stories instead of peoples testomonials (which a lot of companies make up for marketing, I believe) On the other hand however, people will post about various types of meditation and some people want out of body experiences, Kundalini awakenings etc. Although I have no interest personally in these type of experiences I don't wish or feel I have the right to judge others. I have occasionally given words of caution to people as you can read in the threads. The important thing for everyone to remember is that Michael is only recommending Discover Meditation and LifeFlow. Through these courses you can achieve all the tremendous benefits of deep meditation as I have and continue to do. (LifeFlow is the only course that has ever given me so many real and ongoing huge benefits.) Although I don't usually post on threads like these I am always keeping a check on them as I am sure any other moderators are. I will check later but I'm sure if you have subscribed to the course (which I purchased last year) you can e-mail Michael personally. I have suggested that he directs the people interested to appropriate sites where they will be supervised with these different types of meditation, but I don't know his decision on that matter yet. His reports were like a revelation to me, I really understood for the first time where all my stress had developed and understood how to release it gradually over time. If you haven't read them all I would highly recommend them. Also the weekly Good Life and support e-mails have lots of information. If you are not receiving ongoing info please let me know and if you have any particular queries I hope you will post them. There will be a simple solution - I'm sure. I would just follow Michael's courses and enjoy the benefits. Happiness and joy to you all :) :) :)

13. ellen

ellen Member

Thanks Polyanna for responding and for the reasurrance , I really just wanted to voice my concerns as some people may misinterpret what is happening to their bodies and mind if not prepared, its nice to know that on this site any queries people have can be answered. I have not subscribed but do recieve the support e-mails. I do enjoy reading other peoples experiences and am well aware that everone has a different reason for meditating however am sure each and everyone of us shares the ultimate goal of developping compassion -first for self -as when you have the desire to make yourself better you will -then feel compassion for others.
    So I too do not want to pass judgement on people's different methods as we all have I believe this fundamental aim.I really do enjoy reading other peoples experiences during meditation in whichever form that works for them and everone does have a differnt and unique experience. As for my meditation journey with lifeflow 10 so far, I am learning a lot about myself , my worries , fears (which turned up during my last meditations hence feeling uneasy) but also the positive attributes. Meditation to me is like a reality check on myself as well as enjoying the general health benefits and lowering of stress levels.I really haven't felt so calm for so long and this has always been a first on my list and meditation with lifeflow is helping me achieve this. I am certainly learning a lot about my body and mind too(as I stated in my previous reply this is where I would like to have more info ). Nice to know there is guidance here when we feel concerned or confused thank you for replying.
    Kind regards -ellen

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  14. ellen

ellen Member

PS - So as not to confuse my first response was to the thread of seeing white I haven't had an OBE.

15. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi Ellen, good to hear you are enjoying meditation. I copied the following from one of the reports on resistance that I think will help with you feeling a little uneasy during your last couple of meditations.

"Meditation helps us to gradually release backlogs of stress and suppressed emotions. In order to do this, suppressed emotions will at some point be brought to the surface during meditation to allow them to be released. With this in mind, you may occasionally feel irritable and restless or agitated during meditation. If this happens it means you are resisting something. It isn’t the actual suppressed emotion that is making you feel like this; it is the resistance itself that is causing the discomfort.

Always remember whenever you feel any discomfort in meditation, it simply means you are resisting and it is the resistance itself that is causing the discomfort.

The solution to resisting is to simply and unemotionally observe your thoughts and feelings with unattached curiosity. Simply accept whatever thoughts and feelings you experience, and just observe them, unemotionally. Just be aware of them and watch them with great curiosity and indifference. When you consciously and calmly observe anything that does not serve you well it will simply fritter away."

During my first few months during LifeFlow I experienced the following:-
    Deeply relaxed and peaceful.
    Sometimes a very busy mind.
    Sometimes fell asleep.
    Often couldn't feel if my hands and feet in particular were touching anything - this was quite strange but pleasant and not scary at all. Sometimes I didn't know where I was during meditation.
    Feelings of deep happiness and contentment which carried on into my normal day.
    Certain events from my past seemed to replay in my mind.
    Occasionally I would feel irritable and want to finish meditating early until Michael explained that I was probably resisting dealing with something from my past or some suppressed emotions.
    This is when I was amazed to find how much fear and anger I was actually suppressing. So whenever I felt irritable I knew I was resisting and learned to unemotionally observe what was being brought up. When I did this it never came up again which is still amazing to me.
    I still have this irritable feeling happen now and again - but I know to just consciously, without becoming emotionally involved observe what is happening and allow more suppressed emotions to just go away. I'm sure this is why Michael says we should do the LifeFlow levels as he suggests - then it is a gradual release. Wow! that was a long explanation but I hope it helps you. One year on (after doing the course to the letter) I feel so much happier, healthier, confident, clear thinking, full of energy and absolutely nothing phases me anymore. I understand other people more through understanding our "maps of reality" and so much more that I would probably not finish writing if I carried on.
    P.S.I have probably missed doing LifeFlow no more than a dozen times within a year and I can certainly tell when I haven't done it. Anyway I must go and Flow now :) happiness and joy :) :) :)

16. ellen

ellen Member

THANK YOU Pollyanna for taking the time to explain this to me.It has been most helpful I really appreciate it .
    Best wishes-ellen

PS -I do really enjoy the gratitude exercise (can't help but shed a tear or two when I think of how blessed I am to have my family and health) must make a point of doing it daily so important I believe as "gratitude and inner peace go hand in hand"-R.Carlson author of "Don't sweat the small stuff"

17. karen659

karen659 Member

Thank you Pollyanna and Ellen for your posts -

I only want to agree with you both that mediation and all its uses are so very individualized according to each person's needs and degree of development. It is the intention that you wish to connect with your inner self through mediation that is most important here - and that is why Michael's program is so important as a strong basis for development of self.

I do not wish to push my ideas and experiences on anyone at any time - my attempts here were only to show the wide range of uses with meditation development.

I share my blog site link for those who wish to see what the OOBE is and how I have progressed. This may not be for everyone, but those who are interested are certainly welcome to read my blog for ideas, suggestions, etc.

Thank you again for your insights - I wish you much continued success!

Karen

18. ellen

ellen Member

Hi Karyn,your blog is really interesting and enjoyable and thank you for your responses. The good thing about this site is that we can all express our views , experiences, concerns and succcess we have with Lifeflow,with each other knowing that we all share the main objective of understanding the nature of self and the nature of life.
    Best wishes -ellen

19. lebourdonant

lebourdonant Member

Hi all,

I was just passing by, it's been some time since I visited this forum.

This year I have attended the darkroom retreat in tao-garden. Basically many of us fellow yogi spent up to four weeks in total darkness, I was in there for three weeks.
    Living in total darkness is quite an experience ;), you don't see what you eat, you go to toilets in the dark etc etc..
    All you can see, if you don't wear your blindfold (to remind the eyes to rest), is the red beam of night vision equipment worn by the cleaning maids and other staff working to ensure the proper environment.

to the point ?!

in your brain, tryptophan transform to seratonin which at night transform to melatonin.
    light activate the pineal gland and a melatonin build up transforms to pinoline.
    without light activating your pineal gland, melatonin could transform to 5-Meo-DMt and then DMT, the spirit molecule.

the splitting of the soul and spirit that people experience on a near death experience (I.E) is said to be triggered by DMT which is stored in the crystal palace in the brain. Some Drugs trigger the storage of DMT and can thus lead to OOBE. however with a depleted amount of DMT on hand, drug user need more stimulation to secrete the all precious molecule. the risk, also, is to have none available when death really occurs, meaning that the spirit can not take off and wanders around. But that is another story.

so living in an environment without light sensory stimulation help the body generate an exceeding amount of DMT which then enables easier OOBE, dream yoga, lucide dreaming, ... you name it

FYI.
    lebour.

more info for DMT Rick Strassman
    more info for darkness Universal Healing Tao: TheDarknessReview1.1

a quote from the above link,
    "All spiritual traditions of the world have used Darkness Techniques in their pursuit of enlightenment. In Europe, the place for practicing Darkness Techniques often appeared in underground form as a network of tunnels, in Egypt as the Pyramids, in Rome as the catacombs, and by the Essenes, near the Dead Sea in Israel, as caves. Buddhism shares in this tradition, with famous Yogis like Milarepa and Padmasambhava, whose caves are still visited by pilgrims and tourists alike. Thailand has many caves that are used by Buddhist Monks for Vipassana Meditation. In the Taoist tradition caves have been used throughout the ages for higher level practices. In the Tao, the cave, the Immortal Mountain, the Wu Shan, represents the Perfect Inner Alchemy Chamber."

Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
  20. karen659

karen659 Member

Lebour, thanks for posting this interesting information. I don't know if I'd be able to do what you did, but I am certain that this amazing body/spirit of ours is capable of many, many things - I know our 'physical' mind may have a hard time to fully understand the 'inner workings' of ourselves...but the key to any success is to keep an open mind as to all possibilities!

Perhaps this is why it IS easier for me to OOB at night - so it may play a role - but I also have done it in daytime, just not as frequently. I feel the biggest block for many is fear of the unknown, and the lack of ability to fully relax and let go - remembering to expect anything and everything!:)

Thanks again for the post....
    Karen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.