1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Other traditional meditation practices?

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by Peaceful Warrior, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Peaceful Warrior

Peaceful Warrior New Member

I just wondered how many people had tried other meditation techniques?

Vipassana

Candle flame focus etc

The first meditation technique I learnt was mantra meditation and have always had decent results from this. It's sometimes a bit frustrating but it seems like the one for me.

I would be interested to hear about other traditional types that you have had success with though. Thanks in advance :)

PW

2. Julielz

Julielz Member

Queen of quirky techniques

I am always up for something new and quirky for my meditation...

Some favorites...

Food (yummy!)
    Laughter
    Visualizations (calling in angels, spirit guides, animal guides, the Goddess, etc...)
    Counting with the breath
    Gratitude (personal fav)
    And... when I miss my morning practice, I love to meditate on traffic- Ha! Give it a try. Sink deeper into the present moment, tap into the connection of all life, even when in cars. It becomes a dance, a living, breathing pulsating entity. And it has the side effect of making a morning commute not only enjoyable but down-right soul soothing.

Mucho love and peace, J

3. taylordayton

taylordayton Member

Alright, I'll say it even if I sound a little ignorant of what I'm talking about.

I can't remember now what it's called, but I did study a little bit some Zen Buddhism.. can't remember the name of that meditation, but it involves a pillow under your toosh and different hand things... index finger touching thumb, etc. (Madras?)

I've also done some Kundalini work, and had the success of three 'risings', but still being so inexperienced in that I try to just use the grounding technique and let it go where it wants from there.

But I prefer to have some sort of guided meditation to help me.

4. stephen1313

stephen1313 Member

Mantra

I have used

I listen
    I witness
    I respond

As a mantra. It teaches me to listen to what is being said to me, step aside and witness my feelings anreactions....before I answer. It really helps in difficult situations.:)

5. Edwin

Edwin Member

I too come from a Zen background so to speak.

Even tho it is a different way of meditation, the end result is not that much different, so you better just stick with what you know, or if not the same, the way Michael talks about in the first CD's.

6. Foojoy

Foojoy Member

Loving Kindness Meditation

One of my first and best meditation experiences was just focusing on feelings of love, first for myself, then those close to me and finally the world around me. Almost everyone can remember a feeling of being loved and how good it feels and I think that's why it's such a simple and effective meditation. I'm honestly not sure if this counts as a traditional meditation, but I felt compelled to put it in here. Love it up everyone!

-Foojoy

7. susi_gal

susi_gal Member

Could you tell me how you do the gratitude one?

That gratitude one sounds interesting... would you describe each steps here? I would greatly appreciate it.

I for myself have tried mantra (saying out loud, saying in my heads), gazing into candles, zen-type of feeling your spine, listening your breath...

Has anybody tried listening to the background sounds, like waves? Would it work?

Thank you for sharing your ideas.

Atsushi

8. Julielz

Julielz Member

Atsushi...

A gratitude meditation can happen in many ways, but the easiest way is to simply close your eyes and start to visualize or list all the things you are grateful for. Personally, I start with all things closest to me... my body, my breath, my health, my family, my home. Then I expand the circle outward to my neighbors, my friends, my clients. Then expanding it greater still, being grateful for Mother Earth, the ocean, Oprah. HA! No wrong way to do it.

Usually I am super zingy after "meditating" in such a high vibrational field of awareness. It definitely saturates the day with that feeling tone and often I see so many new things to be grateful for throughout my day.

Have fun! Report back.

Much Love,
    Julie

9. Foojoy

Foojoy Member

Julielz,

I'm all over your gratitude meditation julielz! It seems very similar to the loving kindness meditation I usually practice. I begin by just feeling my heart beating in my chest and just feeling love for it. Who doesn't like to feel love, right?! I take that feeling and just focus on projecting that feeling in steadily widening circles to those around me, my community and finally the world. This definatly leaves one feeling "high" yet really connected. Lifeflow has been amazing in helping with this. All my best and Love it up!

-Foojoy

10. susi_gal

susi_gal Member

Hi I am reporting back... so late.
    After experimenting some ways, I have found that using mantra "thank you and I love you" in Japanese most effective. First I say the sounds of it in my head, then I start saying it while meaning it, often visualizing things or people I want to say thank you and love you for. Then I just say the mantra to myself.
    Then after the set minutes, I do the gratitude excercise, and it does the work for me. It gives me such a nice sensation in my heart afterword. The music Michael put helps me on that too.
    Thanks again for your help.

11. BeSassie

BeSassie Member

I have

There is this other meditation site that I went to. But I found that the voice they used would pull me back out of meditation some what. That is how come I found his site.

PS I wanted to ask if there is a way to ask ??? In privet with some one that knows all about meditation?

Thank you

12. John

John Member

Hi Atushi -
    To answer your query above,my answer is a definite yes. I find being on the beach listening to the ebb and flow of the waves very soothing as is listening to some of the classical music with its harmonies.
    Have you tried any of the Lifeflow CD's -CD 10 gives sounds of and creates the sensation of being near a river/stream and I find Lifeflow 7 really great for me listening to rain and a thunder storm.I can visualise the sounds and it helps me escape from thoughts about the every day circumstances around me