1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

oppressive tingling between eyes

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by gednow, Jul 4, 2011.

1. gednow

gednow Member

Hi,

I am looking for some guidance on how to deal with this feeling so that I am able to progress with my mediation.

For many years I have (on and off) had an intense feeling (tingling, perhaps) between my eyes. This comes and goes but often seems most prominent when I am feeling low.

I have started meditating (mindful breathing) and I am experiencing this sensation. It is so intense that I feel I can't concentrate and have had to stop part way through. I also get a similar, though less strong, feeling in my throat.

Some googling suggested that it was allergies, but they did not state what they were, nor how to treat them.

I enjoy meditation and taking the time to treat my mind to some relaxation, however, I would like to know how I can reduce this sensation so that I can gain more from this practice.

Any contribution is gratefully accepted.

Gary

2. Panthau

Panthau Member

I experienced nearly the same. Even today, now and then, especially in my prayers. Its best to not pay more attention to it, then necessary, as this amplifies it.

3. Itlandm

Itlandm Member

I have also experienced this feeling during meditation. There are basically two things you can do: If you cannot endure it, then you pause your meditation and stroke it away. It only takes a moment, but of course it kind of breaks the current state of mind for a little while. The alternative is to just treat it the way you would thoughts and feelings etc that arise during meditation: As something to acknowledge rather than as a challenge. Such physical sensations are often a sign that you are approaching a border line, where you are about to transition into a deeper state. So depending on your level of practice and your aspiration, you may want to cross that line at some point.

But if you cannot, then you cannot. Pausing the meditation does not undo the practice you have spent up till then, does not mean you are a failure and will never reach enlightenment etc as the voices in your head may propose. It just means you don't yet have the practice and the strength of aspiration to cross that particular hurdle. The feeling will be different for different people, but some kind of "energy" feeling between the eyes is one of the more common.

4. Bryan555

Bryan555 Member

I am not an expert on chakras, but I do know there is supposed to be one between the eyes, and a lower one in the throat. During meditation, I often feel tingling sensations, or pulsing, in those areas. So, I had just assumed it has something to do with the chakras.

Thus, I never worry about it, and it comes and goes without giving me any particular problems.

Perhaps some other member here has more insight into this area? It would be quite interesting, and useful, to me.

5. stefanabovetheview

stefanabovetheview Member

I am also no expert in chakras, but this has to do with the third eye chakra. It is a good sign that it's opening up. Just feel it. You can research more into the third eye chakra.
    It has to do with the pineal gland, located in between the eyebrows, which is where the sensation is coming from I believe.

I've felt that before, but very recently have I meditated on my third to this sound:
    YouTube - ‪???? Signal 528 Hz (extended mix ) Theta binaural beats‬‏
    and I have felt the most intense pressure/tingling there, which lasted for a few days. I couldn't even take a nap because with my eyes closed there would be high pressure.

I've read that with a clear/opened third eye you are able to see auras and differentiate between reality and illusions etc. That feeling is a good one so don't worry!

Try meditating on your third eye, keep your focus (but not forcelly and completely, just be aware of that area) on the third eye and visualize the healing energy healing it.

The sensation will eventually reduce but don't judge it or give it negative feelings!

You can do some research on it on, google is your friend! :)

Peace

6. gednow

gednow Member

Thank you all so much for your replies. I am certainly glad that I am not alone in experiencing this!

I am interested in finding out more about Charkras and, perhaps, how that can help me in what I experience. So thanks to you all for pointing me in the right direction!:)

7. Bryan555

Bryan555 Member

You are welcome, Gednow. If I might make a suggestion, perhaps you should just adjust the way you perceive this "problem". You described it in your first post as "oppressive", which is a highly negative way of looking at it.

If, in fact, it is indeed an indication of your chakras beginning to open, then it is anything but "oppressive". It is a wonderful opportunity.

Perhaps, if you begin to take that view, it might help? Or perhaps even do much more than help. Anyway, just a suggestion....

Keep us posted on your progress. It's a very interesting phenomenon, which many of us share.

8. sagehoney3

sagehoney3 Member

Hi Gary - I just have some thoughts re your post. Do you think your Third Eye (spot between your eyes) is trying to open more? Maybe just allow it to tingle by being the Witness instead of fighting it. Perhaps even have it speak to you AND give it permission to open. Also re your throat, which is the 5th Chakra, it may be blocked by having to keep inside what you really are wanting to say and/or express. If it were me, I would be the Witness again by allowing the sensation and paying attention to what your throat is trying to tell you. Just some thoughts I'm sending your way with blessings.......

9. gednow

gednow Member

Hi Bryan555, it's funny you should mention my wording. I think you are right, I initially perceived it to be negative. I was becoming frustrated because I felt that it was stopping me from practicing meditation.

However, since I read the wonderful posts here last week, I have been practising in a different, more positive way. I can still feel the tingling in both my throat and between my eyes, but instead of focusing on those sensations as a hinderance to me, I have been including the sensations in my breathing. When I breath in (through the nostrils with my mouth closed) I have the feeling of the air coming in though my throat. When I breathe out through my nostrils, I have a sense that the air is leaving through the sensation between my eyes. This has been great for my meditation over the past few days and I have found this beneficial for me to be able accept the sensations as something that is positive, rather than find a way to defeat or remove it (like I was looking for in my first post).

sagehoney3 - thank you for your thoughts. I have not had time to do much research on Chakras but it is something I will look into. You are certainly correct about me not fighting it. Like I said above, by looking at it in a different way I have already seen a change.

Thank you all again!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  10. Bryan555

Bryan555 Member

You are very welcome, Gednow. It is very rewarding to actually be of some benefit, however small, to a fellow member. I was pretty sure my advice would be helpful, and I have a strong suspicion that "tingling" will turn out to be very positive, indeed.

Can I make one other small suggestion? When you concentrate on the breath, after some time, you will probably notice that it will become very gentle, and soft. At that point, I find it helpful to think of it as energy, rather than breath. Just allow it to waft into your body....perhaps through the "third eye" area.

It really works for me. Not only feels great but, yes, fills me with lots of energy when I come out of the meditation.

11. Someoneson1

Someoneson1 New Member

Hello Gednow. I have experienced this same thing and was quite happy as the sensation was quite pleasant like my spirit was tickling me. Most positive. The last time I experienced this I was driving across the badlands from Saskatchewan to Calgary it lasted a few hours and I was giggling (300 pd gorilla here) all the way.

I took it to mean I was either going In the right direction or I was experiencing energy from the mountains rolling off the plains. Either way I was glad to have had the experience.

I have had many experiences with my third eye like the spirit manifesting on the physical as a form of guidance. I am grateful as the path has shown my the beginning of all knowledge is "I DON'T KNOW". Now I can learn to trust my higher self and ask for the answers I seek to understand. With understanding comes peace, and isn't this the true nature of love.

12. peaceandkarma

peaceandkarma Member

I get this sensation on my third eye and also on the top of my head. If you want to learn more about the Chakras, you can read books about it. Or why not look into spiritualism as the third eye is connected with clairvoyance. If I'm meditating and I feel a lot of pressure on my third eye, I like to place my attention on this sensation which makes for a very peaceful meditation.