1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Now

Discussion in 'Thought For Today' started by olmate, Nov 11, 2012.

1. olmate

olmate Member

I often thought that being in the NOW was something that I visited from time to time.

But over time I have come to realise that the present moment is not separate from what I imagine as past and future. It contains time. I could say that the present moment is experienced when I stop counting or watching the seconds ticking away.

It dawns when I truly see the present moment is literally every moment, successive to the degree of being unbroken and without any moment being blinked at, wasted, forgotten or ignored. It is about being fully awake to everything. Here and now.

This is the last paradox. . . .How can time and eternity coexist? Yet meditation has opened my eyes and shown me that I can live in the eternal now while writing reports about yesterday’s meetings and planning out meetings for tomorrow.

Now that is Grace.

Olmate

2. GilesC

GilesC Member

:) Nice post.

Yes, the Now is right here, right Now, and nowhere else.

It doesn't mean that there isn't a past or future... though they only exist in the Now. This seems to confuse a few people, but I look at it like this:

Time is something we can say has two dimensions. One of those dimensions is what we would call a single point in time. The other dimension is a period of time (we can look at that as a collection of points of time if you like; and we'll leave the discussion about the space in-between points of time for another thread I think).

So, when we refer to the Now, we are referring the this very point of time. Coversely when we refer to the Past or Future we are referring to a period of time, even when referring to a single point of time in the past or future, as to reach those single points we have to traverse all the points leading to it from this point in time we call Now, but where are we traversing if, as I said above, the past and future only exist in the Now?

To answer that, I consider that as each Now point of time happens, the energetic pattern that is the universe at this point becomes a part of the next Now point of time (if it makes it easier, see this as a seemless flow of time), so in truth the past and the future do not really exist, only an imprint of them that has shaped the Now to be what it is.

Therefore, when somebody is 'living in the past', they are in fact living in the present moment, but simply becoming attached to the imprint of the past as it appears Now (liken it to a memory and as we know, memories can fade and change) and that attachment is restricting their awareness so that they see the past and Now as two seperate things in a dualistic sense, rather than recognising that they can be fully aware of the present moment, and still 'know' the past in this moment, allowing them to act on every need as it arises, rather than being distracted from such needs. The same applies when someone is living in the future, this is bringing their attachment and focus to just a part of the Now (dualistic seperation again), where the future they see is shaped by the past, and will inevitably change as the Now happens, and yet again this dualism detracts from meeting the needs of the present moment.

It's not bad however to know the past or be aware of the potential future, just so long as we remain present in the moment and meet the needs of the moment, for it is the present moment that presents us with the opportunities to do our best, and if we are seperating our awareness to just look at the past or the future, we will simply miss those opportunities, as we cannot change the past, and we cannot change the future, we can only act Now.

Time in the singular dimension, is the only real dimension of time... this point of zero length time that we call the Now. The period of time dimension is a concept we have created to categorize and 'measure' knowledge from our existence in the Now. Imagine when you're driving a car, how fast is your car travelling at any point of time you choose to observe? The answer is that your car is not going anywhere at that point in time, because the speed has to be measured over a period of time; we have to collect together the present moments as they happen and give it a measure so that we can calculate the distance over time to give us the speed. Try it when you're driving next, just think to yourself "How fast am I driving 'Now'?" (and emphasise that Now as the point in time). If you get it, you'll realize the car is stationary. It's exactly where it is at that moment in time in that place in the universe.

How can time and eternity coexist? Well, as time is a singular point of zero size, mathematically, there is a direct correlation between zero and infinity. So you can fit an infinite number of Now's into existence, creating eternity, while all the time, eternity exists here and Now. ;)

(A great book on zero and infinity is called "Zero, The Biography of a Dangerous Idea" by Charles Seife)

Hugs

Giles

3. Michael David

Michael David Member

Slowing down to the speed of now

Hi Olmate and Giles
    Very nice posts :)

Slowing Down to The Speed of Now

In a writing sense what I mean by speed is the amount of lead time that my typing one letter at a time keeps pace with the words that make up the thoughts in my head. Sometimes the words come faster than I can type them and I have to slow down the thoughts so that I can write them out one letter at a time. When the thoughts get to be so powerful sometimes I just let the spelling fall to the wayside and try to keep up with the thoughts. When I do this with a pen and paper it becomes difficult to read back later on. In any case the typing actually slows down the thoughts so that they become more coherent than the racing that sometimes occurs when I am just thinking without writing.

So slowing down to the speed of now is to have the thought that I am thinking take up more of the present real time sense of what I am doing. The speed of now is always the same. Wow. What a thought hit that is. Does the speed of Now ever change. Relative to my feeling it certainly does. But in reality its always now and it has no speed. So if it is always now what am I slowing down to?

So the speed of now is not really an independent speed but a relative to something else speed . Slowing down to being with what is at this moment . Not rushing to finish this (whatever I am doing) to get to the next thing that I think I would rather be doing. So slowing down to the speed of now is really becoming one with what is at this moment.

Slowing down to the speed of now is a cessation of wanting anything to be any different than it is right now.

Take 5........ Allow a nice long breath to flow in ........ And out

Michael :)

4. olmate

olmate Member

"like" to both posts.

The speed of NOW... just noticing the idea those words point to... I visualise the imagery of surfing the wave... that is, the ride on the wave is not about (much) that I do but all about the energy of the wave. All I need to do is be present to where I am on the wave (of life) - that is - NOW.

Maybe our waves have their own velocity, but our challenge is to be still and present on the face of the wave. Some of my friends "waves" seem to have a huge velocity while others appear much slower and purposeful.

Maybe we are all frustrated surfer guys ... hahaha

Thanks for the promps.

olmate