1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Noticing anger/irritation more

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by Figge, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Figge

Figge Member

Hi,

since starting mediating regualrily with LifeFlow about two months ago (using Lifeflow 10 20 minutes a day, planning to move to Lifeflow 9 soon) I feel calmer and happier. The changes are gradular and not "miracle-like" but definately noticable, I was pretty happy and calm to begin with.

There is one thing I wanted to check with people who have meditated longer than me. At the same time as feeling happier and calmer I also experience times when I feel more angry or irritated than before. I have two theories about this, either meditating has made me more alert which means that I now notice easier being angry/irritated or I am actually more angry/irritated from time to time because something repressed has been released (and maybe I am resisting).

I know that other programs have been reported to cause people to feel quite bad at some points when repressed feelings are released but from what I udnerstand this is not common with Lifeflow.

Any thoughts on this? Anybody else noticed this as well?

Love

Fredrik

2. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hi Fredrik,

Well, I think you've 'hit the nail on the head' as they say. Both the reasons you've given for appearing more angry are perfectly valid, and how much of each is true for you will depend on you as an individual...

Some people have stored up a lot of repressed or supressed anger, so starting to meditate or do other relaxation techniques, can suddenly allow this anger to arise. The good thing is that by meditating we do become more aware, and we can recognise the anger arising, hopefully before it gets out of control, and then deal with it, whether that is by recognising that it's due to some memory from the past, which we cannot change and serves no purpose in the present, or whether it's something that's ongoing in our lives that we can start to make a choice to change... because at the end of the day, the choice all comes down to ourselves... if we want to be free of the anger, it's up to us to change it... nobody else.

Likewise, as you say, it could simply be that you are just being more aware, and hence the anger that naturally arises as situations change each day, is being noticed by you more, because you're not lost in that daydreaming world of thoughts so much. It's good to be more aware though... it let's you remain more in the present moment and deal with the situation to change it.

Sounds like you're doing well.... keep it up.

Hugs

Giles

3. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi Fredrik,

it sounds like you are resisting supressed emotions that your mind is trying to hold on to. Your mind does this with the good intentions of keeping you safe, however your mind is not always correct. When supressed emotions surface it is a wonderful opportunity for you to release them and free yourself.

The next time you feel angry or irritable, notice the feeling/sensation in your body that accompanies this. Don't follow your thoughts, as this is your mind resisting the supressed emotion to surface.

Just accept the physical sensation and as you unemotionally observe it, with simple curiosity, you should find it will simply dissolve. This may take a few minutes or a little while longer.

Through learning how to observe and release emotions that had imprisoned me, my mind became freed up, allowing me to be more happy and peaceful, more creative, focused and free to enjoy the present moment.

Once you realise how you can do this you will find it to be a very freeing experience.

LifeFlow allows you to release supressed emotions at a pace that suits you individually. If too many begin to surface at the same time, you can shorten your meditation time and/or listen with or without headphones. This often helps.

Look forward to hearing how you progress and wish you much peace and joy :) :) :)

4. Figge

Figge Member

Thank you GilesC and pollyanna for your replies, most helpful.

At first I think I was analyzing to much but now I am closer to the approach you decribe pollyanna and it is definately an improvement.

All the best!

Fredrik