1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Non-Boring meditation with progression?

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by DaXia, Nov 11, 2011.

1. DaXia

DaXia New Member

Hi!
    I'm sorry that my first post here is a question, but I dont know where else to ask. I'm not sure how clear the thread title is, because my english is not the best, but what I am looking for is meditation exercises that's not just lying down and breathing, but something more, and something that you can progress into.

I have history of some anxiety and depression, and would benefit hugely from learning meditation. I have tried mindfulness, but the problem is that it's so BORING. I mean, sure. It was fun the first week when you were still learning, and when you were doing different exercises like imagening your breathing in from the top of your head, and breathing out from your feet etc, but after i was able to do that, it just got boring. I was like, "Ok, so I can do this now, what's next?" And I got super dissapointed when I found out that this was it.

I need something that constantly challenges me. I need something with step-stones and goals, mental excercises that just keep getting harder and more advanced etc. I need to feel that I'm getting better and better, and after a while I want to feel that today I can do some exercises I wasn't able to do when I first started out. If I got a clear goal, I can be very determined and won't give up until I reach that goal. It could be simple things, like that you are so relaxed and in control, that you can wiggle only ur left ear etc.

But I want it to be 100% mental though, not physical (I.E, no yoga poses etc). I get enough physical training at the gym tyvm.

And please, dont tell me: "The exercises may be easy to perfom, but takes a lifetime to master" etc. That may be true, but it's just not stimulating enough for me.

Thanks a million in advance!

2. Panthau

Panthau Member

Hi Daxia,

What you are talking about, is exactly what meditation is about. Its about letting go of your mind, of the thoughts that create feelings inside your body. Its natural that your mind wants something challenging, something to work and deal with. But that is the boat to the island of daily life and its struggles.

Meditation is the other way around. Its about letting happen whats happening inside you, without reacting to it. It may be hard in the beginning to sit down and do "nothing", because this way we are reconditioning the way our mind works. By learning to not react to your inner turbulences, you get calmer and are not anymore a doll of your thoughts and emotions.

So you have to decide... do you want something stimulating for your mind? Go watch a movie :)
    If you want to touch your inner stillness, get calmer and take a distance from your inner turbulences, then meditation is the way to go.

Atb,
    Phil

3. iciek

iciek Member

Hello DaXia

It seems that despite what you say you are actualy easily put off your goal. Meditation is about mental discipline and any form of discipline invariably requires some boring repetative training. From personal experience I can tell you that if you persevere you will see yourself progressing but nothing worthwhile comes easily.

Oh bye the way, that "it" you experienced was not "IT". "IT" is a life changing experience.

Don't give up. "IT" is well worth striving for. Good luck

4. Panthau

Panthau Member

I guess there are different forms of experiencing what you mean. Its probably life changing, if you experience it in its fullest, or nearly fullest, form.

5. Hazelkay

Hazelkay Member

Hi Daxia

Welcome to the community:)

It seems you have taken a huge first step in self-knowledge, but probably haven't realised it yet.

This particular body/mind phenomenon seems to need constant stimulation in order to feel challenged/satisfied/whole - whatever. It is an addiction, just as potent as an addiction to food, drink, drugs.

This is great fuel for your meditation practice.

Have a go at walking meditation. Choose an object to focus on - the breath, a mantra, sensations in the body, ....

Go somewhere you can have a marker for about twenty paces, like a tree, a stick, a stone, etc. Decide how long you will walk for. Begin by standing still and focusing on your meditation object, then walk and be aware whenever your mind drifts off the object. Turn, stand still, refocus if necessary and walk again.

Your goals can shift as you improve
    1) noticing the reduction in 'drifts' in each walk between the marker.
    2) If you can walk between the marker without the mind drifting off the meditation object, then notice how many times you can turn before drifting.
    3) If you are not drifting for many turns between the markers then notice the thoughts that pop up just to disappear again without developing at all.

This should keep you busy for quite some time!

Of course, this will only feed your need for constant stimulation. It is necessary to start from where you are at, but you also need an antidote.

Have sitting meditation times, too. You can alternate between sitting and walking. In your sitting meditation have the same meditation object as you chose for your walking meditation. I expect you will quickly feel the same boredom as before. Great! Now you can explore this feeling. How do you know you are bored? What is it in this body/mind phenomenon that tells you boredom is present? Does it begin as soon as you sit down? How long before it begins? What are the first signs? How many indicators of boredom are there? Watch carefully in each sit for the very first sign that boredom is beginning.

Good luck! Keep us posted on how you are getting along.:D

6. iciek

iciek Member

Very true. It's also dependent upon the goal one is hoping to achieve. DaXia didn't give any indication of what that was and I jumped in without thinking, imagining it was the same as mine. (Sorry DaXia)